Daughters of the American Revolution
|By Mrs. Frank W. Farnam
The Daughters of the American Revolution was organized in Washington. D.C.,
October 11, 1890, with eighteen members. Begun twenty-eight years ago by a mere
handful of women for genealogical, historic and educational purposes, the
society has expanded into an organization of practical patriotism. There is
a membership roll of 146,400; 1,662 Chapters, covering every State and Territory
of the United States as well as many foreign countries.
Memorial Continental Hall, erected in 1904, located between the White House and
the Washington Monument, is a splendid memorial to the men and women patriots of
the Revolution. This property, valued at three-quarters of a million dollars,
is held under a charter granted by the United States Government--the only one of
its kind granted to any patriotic society--and is free from taxation by special
act of Congress.
In Madison County three Chapters have been organized--James Madison Chapter of
Hamilton, Mrs. Robert W. Crane, Regent. with a membership of 94; Owaghena
Chapter of Cazenovia, Mrs. Frederick D. Keppel, Regent, with a membership of 54;
and Skenandoah Chapter of Oneida. Mrs. Frank W. Farnam, Regent, with 84 members.
All rights reserved.