VILLAGE AND TOWN OF REEDSBURG
P. ELLINWOOD. This gentleman was born in Peterboro, N.Y., Sept.
9, 1833; at the age of 16, entered New York Central College at
McGrawville, N.Y., where he received his education; he afterward
taught school for three terms in McGrawville-- teaching in the winters
and attending school during the summers--afterwards, had charge of
Kishacoquillas Academy for a time. Mr. Ellinwood came to
Reedsburg, Wis., in 1858; taught school in the vicinity of one year,
and then assumed position of Principal of Reedsburg Union School,
which position he filled until December of 1861. He enlisted in
this month in Co. A, 19th W.V.I., and was elected Lieutenant of the
company; he passed through the campaigns of the Potomac and
James, and belonged to the brigade, which was the first to enter
Richland after its surrender; was mustered out of service in
1865. Mr. Ellinwood was sent to the Legislature in 1877, and
re-elected the following year; has been Chairman of County Board
for five years and is also President of Village Board; has also
been, for several years, Clerk of School Board. Mr. Ellinwood is a mason, and
also belongs to the Sons of Temperance Society; his property
consists of about 230 acres of land--much improved--and a
lumber-yard in the town of Reedsburg. On his grounds, Mr. Ellinwood has
arranged spacious fair grounds, and here, every season, the meeting of
the Baraboo Valley Agricultural Society, of which Mr. Ellinwood is General
Manager and Treasurer, is held. Fourth of July celebrations
usually take place on these fair grounds. Mr. Ellinwood's residence and
surrounding land is known as "Mott's Second Addition."
Dec. 21, 1868, Mr. Ellinwood was married to Miss Hannah Cottington, who was
born in Madison Co., N.Y., May 27, 1846; they have an adopted
daughter, Edith, who was born Aug. 16, 1870. Since Mr. Ellinwood's
house was built and improvements made, a number of other very fine
residences have sprung up about the place.
Source: The History of Sauk County, Wisconsin. Chicago: Western Historical Society, 1880, p. 715.
© 2004 Linda Wright. Reprinted with permission.