Pioneering Families
... with Roots in Madison County


Index to
Families

 

DeWitt  Gardner was born in Cazenovia, Madison county March 28, 1819, son of Benjamin and Polly (Allen) Gardner. He lived on his father's farm until sixteen when he came to Fulton where two of his sisters were then living, Mrs. Frederick Seymour and Amanda, a teacher in the Fulton schools. He found employment in the general store of Almon Tucker about two years. He was next employed by Lewis Falley, for about two years, after which he returned to Mr. Tucker. Two years later Mr. Tucker and Mr. Gardner became partners in business in the store. In 1841 Mr. Gardner withdrew and began business alone and was a successful merchant of Fulton about twelve or thirteen years. During the latter part of this period he had as partners L.C. Seymour and E. J. Carrington who had been his former clerks. In 1855, with others, Mr. Gardner organized the Oswego River Bank, Mr. Wolcott being its president, while subject was cashier. After ten years of successful business as a State bank the institution was reorganized as a national bank, Mr.  Gardner still retaining the cashiership and practically directing its affairs. This which position he held for twenty years and was then elected its president in which capacity he still serves. Among his many other business interests we may mention that in l865 Mr. Gardner and Mr. Seymour  established a merchant flouring mill which is now the St. Louis Mills and we may further note the fact that Mr. Gardner has been an extensive builder in Fulton and some of the largest structures both public and mercantile, stand as monuments to his enterprise. His first wife was Elizabeth Simmons, by whom he had two children; Frances, wife of Henry Silkman, and Abbott. His second wife was Jane Townsend and they had one child, Charles who died in 1891 aged forty years. Mr. Gardner married third Sarah Smith by whom he has one daughter Alice May.

 

Source: Churchill, John C.  Landmarks of Oswego County, New York. Syracuse, N. Y.: D. Mason & Company, Publishers, 1895, p. 93.

 

 

1999- MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights reserved