Pioneering Families
... with Roots in Madison County


Index to
Families

 

John Stewart was born Sept. 28, 1810, in Montgomery county, N. Y., son of Alexander and Margaret (Sinclair) Stewart, natives of Scotland; attended the schools of his native town until 18 years of age, when the family removed to Madison county, N. Y.; he continued to attend the academy near his new home; followed the farmer's plow for a period, then learned the trade of builder and architect. In 1840 he married Miss Julia A. Stanton, daughter of Judge N. P. Stanton; they are the parents of 6 children, two of whom are living. Mrs. S. died in 1859. Mr. Stewart carried on the building business in New York State nine years after marriage, then came West in 1849, and settled in Jackson, where, in partnership with Judge Stanton, he erected a hotel; subsequently he was appointed head of the Public Building Department of the State, toward the close of the war he went to Marshall to engage in the agricultural implement business, with Wm. Hammond, of the State's Prison Agency. During Mr. Stewart's residence at Marshall he married Mrs. Electa M. Sheldon, author of The Early History of Michigan. He has been Justice of the Peace, Postmaster, and ticket agent of M. C. R. E. at Michigan Center, and the purchaser of the old homestead of Captain Abel F. Fitch.

Source: History of Jackson County, Michigan. Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co., 1881, p. 931.

 

1999- MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights reserved