Pioneering Families
... with Roots in Madison County


Index to
Families

 

Malany Ratnour, wife of

Walter White was born Dec. 8,1801, in Vermont, town of Tapson, Orange Co. His father, Ebenezer, was a native of Orange county, and a farmer by occupation. Walter received his education in his native town, and after leaving school acquired his trade, that of a shoemaker, which occupation he followed first in Vermont and for several years after coming to Michigan. His advent to this State took place in 1835, and he first settled in the village of Brooklyn, and occupied as a shop the second floor of the building now owned and used by W. B. Sherman as a general store. He was soon tendered an opportunity of entering the Michigan State's Prison as foreman of the boot and shoe manufacturing department, which he improved, and remained there two years, after which he returned to Brooklyn and resumed trade here. In 1838 he purchased 100 acres of land on sec. 20, Columbia tp., to the development of which he devoted a portion of his time, and afterward relinquished the pursuance of his trade to devote his entire time to farming, and in the latter occupation has been engaged to the present time. In 1823 he married Miss Malany Ratnour, daughter of George Ratnour, a farmer of Lenox, Madison Co., N. Y., and they have 4 children—Fayette, George A., Jefferson T. and Amos W. Mr. and Mrs. White have been for many years members of the Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn.

Source: Source: History of Jackson County, Michigan. Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co., 1881, pp. 819-820.

 

©1999- MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights reserved