| HENRY G. CLARK, who for the past eleven years
has been principal of the Clark school, was born in Peterboro, New York,
on the 19th of April, 1862. His parents, William A. and Lucinda B. (Bawdish)
Clark were both natives of Peterboro, New York, the father having been
born in 1820 and the mother in 1822. He passed away in 1874 but the
mother survived eighteen years thereafter, her demise occurring at the
age of seventy years. Both were residents of Peterboro when they died.
Six children were born of this union, all of whom are now deceased with
the exception of the son Henry G., our subject.
In the acquirement of his education Henry G. Clark attended the district school in the vicinity of Nelson, New York, until he was fourteen years of age. The next six years were spent in the Cazenovia Seminary, following which he attended Yates Academy for a year. He subsequently enrolled in Syracuse University for two years, completing his education at Hobart College, from which institution he was graduated in 1886. Mr. Clark's college work extended over a period of several years owing to the fact that it was necessary for him to teach at intervals, in order to earn the money to defray his expenses while studying. In the autumn of 1886 he became superintendent of the schools of Berwick, Pennsylvania, where he remained for two years, going from there to Palmyra, New York, serving there in the same capacity for a similar period. In 1890 he came to River Forest, filling the position of superintendent for four years, at the expiration of which period he became assistant in the North Division high school. The following year he was elected principal of the Tennyson school, and in 1896 he was chosen for the same position in the Calhoun school, remaining there for two years. In 1900 he became principal of the Clarke school in which capacity he has ever since continuously served. This is the largest school in the city, having forty-eight teachers in its faculty and an enrollment of over two thousand pupils.
On the 24th of August, 1887, Mr. Clark was united in marriage to Miss Sarah M. Donahue, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Donahue, of Chittenango, New York. Mrs. Clark passed away on the 4th of February, 1910, and was laid to rest in the cemetery of her native town in New York.
Mr. Clark is a member of the Episcopal church, and fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic order, having taken the degrees of the blue lodge. He is also identified with the Town and Country and the Principals Clubs, while he is entitled to membership in the Sons of the American Revolution, as his great-grandfather, who was a resident of Massachusetts, participated in that war. Mr. Clark is very fond of traveling, and devotes a portion of each summer to this pleasure. He is a member of the National Educational Association and attends their annual meetings. He is one of the progressive and representative members of his profession in Chicago, where his efforts have been rewarded with most gratifying success. His school is located at Thirteenth street and South Ashland avenue, while he resides at 8825 Wilcox avenue.
Source: Currey, J. Seymour. Chicago, its history and its builders : a century of marvelous growth. Chicago: S. J. Clark Pub. Co., 1912, Volume 4, pp. 380-381.