| Charles M. Hutchinson, a representative citizen of
Girard, is a member of a family that is prominently connected with the
early history of Erie County. He was born in Girard on April 25, 1854.
He is the son of Monroe and Mary (Stewart) Hutchinson and the grandson
of Miron Hutchinson who came to Girard in 1817 and settled on a tract of
land just west of Elk Creek and the present town.
Miron Hutchinson was the son of David Hutchinson of Madison County, New York, a Revolutionary soldier. Miron Hutchinson married Nancy Wells, daughter of Thurston Wells, who was the first settler of what is now Girard. His lands comprised a large part of the present town. He was a postmaster before the town was called Girard. The postoffice was called Elk Creek postoffice and the village Wellsborough. He laid out and gave the public park in the center of the town of Girard. His residence, a cobblestone one, the first of any consequence, was built just north of the park.
Miron and Nancy Hutchinson had eight children. They were Cornelia, Dighton, Irene, Polly Melissa, Monroe, Elizabeth Ann, Lydia, and David. Polly Melissa and Elizabeth Ann married, in turn, David Olin, a merchant and prominent citizen of Girard. Lydia married John Clemons of Erie, and David, an attorney of Erie, married May Kaiser of Girard.
Miron Hutchinson took an active part in the upbuilding of Girard and was one of its most public-spirited citizens. He held the offices of justice of the peace, postmaster, and associate judge of Erie County. He built the old Hutchinson home in Girard which was, after his death, occupied by his son Monroe and now by his grandson, Charles, the subject of this sketch.
Monroe Hutchinson spent his life in general farming. He was a Democrat and served as postmaster for a number of years. Monroe and Mary Hutchinson had four children: Miron, who died in childhood; Charles M., Lydia, the widow of Rollin C. Taggert, and Edgar C., of Girard. Charles M. Hutchinson was engaged in railroad construction work with the Northern Pacific railroad in early life, but since 1907 has been connected with the Erie City Manufacturing Company of Erie, Pa.
In 1895 Mr. Hutchinson was married to Marion, daughter of William H. and Clarissa (Hinds) Palmer, natives of Erie County. Charles and Marion Hutchinson have one child, a son, Palmer Hall Hutchinson, who was born in the old Hutchison home in Girard on June 6, 1896. Palmer Hutchinson is a member of the editorial staff of the Detroit News and resides in Detroit, Mich. He served as ensign on the World War on the battleship Arkansas with the British grand fleet.
Source: Reed, John Elmer. History of Erie County, Pennsylvania. Topeka: Historical Pub. Co., 1925, Vol. 2, pp. 1095-1096.
©1999- MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights reserved