| New Lenox Township.- The name New Lenox was
taken from Lenox, New York. The first supervisor under township
organization was J. Van Dusen, and came from Lenox, New York, and when
asked to name his township by the county commissioners, gave to it the
name of his native town. Previous to that it was known as Van Horne's
Point, from a point of timber near the center of the town, and at a
still earlier date it went by the name of Hickory Creek Settlement.
Maple Street is a road running through the north part of the town from
east and west, and was so named because the first settlers planted maple
trees along the road.
In New Lenox Township was embraced the larger portion of what, in the early times, was termed the Hickory Creek Settlement--a neighborhood celebrated for its hospitality.
New Lenox is known as Township 35 north, Range 11 east of the Third Principal Meridian and is well drained and watered by Hickory Creek and its North Fork. These streams, at the time of early settlement, were lined with fine forests, much of the timber of which has since been cut away. Perhaps one-fourth of the town was timbered, while the remainder is prairie, much of it rolling, while some of it is so uneven as to be termed knolly. It is intersected by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, and the Joliet Cut-off of the Michigan Central, the history of which is given in another department of this work. The township is devoted almost entirely to farming and stock-raising. Corn and oats are the principal crops and are grown in abundance, while much attention is devoted to raising and feeding stock, of which large quantities are shipped from this section annually. Taken altogether, New Lenox is one of the wealthy towns of Will County. Its population, in 1870, was about 1,120 inhabitants.
Source: Maue, August. History of Will County, Illinois. Topeka: Historical Pub. Co., 1928, pp. 308-309.
©1999- MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights reserved