Ohio is traditionally considered to have the best public library service among the states.
Note that the Dayton card (left) shows two Carnegie branch buildings plus its signature Romanesque main library.
Very plain library, similar in appearance to many Carnegie libraries. Now in use as an arts center.
'Black & White' brand card. This one was a salesman's order record card, stamped Jun 6 1921,
and signed R.E. Wenger.
R.E. Wenger Company was a postcard publisher, probably based in Dayton. However, evidence does point to the imprint being used as one of many Curt Teich trademarks.
Officially known as 'The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County.'
High Italianate building, built in 1874: replaced in 1955. Can you imagine bringing books to other floors in pre-elevator days? The fate of the original building is unknown.
Strangely textured (ribbed) paper stock on the postcard. It's the only 'Tom Jones' card I have. It was mailed in 1910. In case you're wondering, that's the 'New Misfit Clothing Company' nestled on one side, and the 'Volksblatt' building 2 doors down on the other.
The replacement 1955 building is incorporated into current main library. No postcard yet for it.
1925 main building. Although Cleveland received a lot of Carnegie funding, none seems to have been used in this main location. For a Cleveland Carnegie library, visit my Ohio Carnegie Library page.
The Louis Stokes wing was built in 1995, and the rest of the facility has been restored.
To the right is a Cleveland Library overdue notice, mailed in 1950. It begs
the question, 'Why would someone hang on to a library notice for over 50 years?'
The unspoken one is 'Why would anyone buy it?'
Public Library, and McKinley Monument
|Not just Romanesque. It's French Gothic Romanesque.|
The above was replaced by the Dayton-Montgomery County Library in 1962. Apparently, there's a new moniker: Dayton Metro Library.
Apparently this was the Eidson home before its 1906 conversion into the Library. It also housed the water department, a curious juxtaposition.
Oddly, a Carnegie grant was rejected in favor of this mansion. The arrangment continued until 1955, when the water department got its own building, and in 1959, the property was transferred to the Preble County District Library, and the house demolished in 1973, for the Brooke-Gould Memorial Library.
When you wonder why librarians are a little reserved, here's a cautionary tale. Librarian Mrs. Lida Griswold, in the summer of 1909, was shot by a rejected suitor, in the library, in front of her son.
The postcard came from the Straw Bros. Printers, and has a 1907 pencil date on the back. It might have been trimmed along the way.
Is the building Beaux-Arts, or not?
(Probably not, given the red brick.)
Did you know that President Rutherford B. Hayes' uncle gave the money
to build the Birchard Library? And did you know that Hayes served on the
library board at the same time he was president? Strangely, the monument in front only
says something about Fort Stephenson.
No-one respects poor Rutherford.
The linen finish card is a product of E.C. Kropp of Milwaukee.
library (1866) west of the Alleghenies.
According to the Lane Library's history page, the poor building has had floods, fires, and six renovations. How those all relate to each other is uncertain. The latest renovation was in 1995-1996.
The Litho-Chrome brand post card was mailed in 1908.
The library that put the 'Mass' in Massillon.
This is the second library building, dating from 1937. At the time, it was also used as a museum. But doesn't that look like a TV monitor in the pillar at far left?
The Curt Teich linen finish card dates from 1938.
Still in use. Now part of Medina County District Library System.
Somewhere along the way, this 1950 building was replaced.
Built in 1899. Additions in 1937 and 1978. Replaced in 2004.
Its current use is unknown.
The not entirely satisfying history on the Way Public Library's web site could be interpreted a number of ways (heh-heh). It appears as if the ca. 1892 building was renovated in 1959 and 1983; and was demolished between 1983 and 2001 for a new building, which was enlarged in 2001.
Google Street View shows a very long, single storey red brick building that just can't be the Romanesque building on the 1907-1917 card.
Opened in 1890, in a store/home donated by Jacob Schmidlapp to the city's board of education.
(Beats an old Sears store hands down.)
The library moved in 2008 and was renamed to The Piqua Public Library.
Although this card has an unevenly divided back, it was mailed in 1930.
Makes you wonder about the business climate for about 40 years or so.
The 1867 house was converted to a library sometime after 1897. In 1981, it was renovated and enlarged. It's still in use.
(L) Card mailed in 1911.
(R) Hugh C. Leighton post card.
|Five sequential cards illustrate
how Romanesque buildings
could reach total creepiness.
Built in 1940. Renovated and expanded in 2001.
Now known as the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library.
(L) Spiffy linen card from the '40s.
(R) Later, chrome card.
Could any other two postcards of the same building look less alike?
Dedicated in 1901: built with monies from the estate of John Sanford Brumback.
Gothic/Romanesque architecture, and also according to the library's site, a Ludowici tile roof. Still in use, but renovated twice.
Interior view of its huge reading room. With a barrel vaulted ceiling and tile floors,
even dropping a pencil could cause an uproar.
There are magazine racks toward the back, and the reference desk to the right. A small card catalog is at the back of the staff area.
There is no clue as to the identity of the card's publisher.
Attractive dark brick building featuring large windows containing diamond panes.
Donation by Myron T. Herrick in 1902. Renovated in 1929, after another Herrick bequest, and in 1986. Still in use.
(L) Photo postcard from the 1940s.
(R) Monochrome card.
© 2008 - 2013 Judy Aulik
Uploaded 09 February 2008.
Updated 16 June 2013.