1) You will need an 802.11b
(wireless) network card. If Ethereal works with
your network card, AirSnare should do the same.
(AirSnare will work on a wired network card also).
2) The computer that is going to be running
AirSnare must be associated with the Access Point. What this means is
the computer must have it's wireless client SSID set to the same SSID as
the Access Point. (Setting the SSID on the AirSnare computer to:
ANY has also worked in LAB testing.)
3) You must have the WinPcap Library installed.
If you are running Ethereal (the
free sniffer software) then you already have this, if not you can
download it from
4) Download AirSnare and install it.
5) Start AirSnare. As long as you have the
above installed you shouldn't get any errors.
AirSnare is installed, now what?
1) When AirSnare starts, select your network card
from the list.
2) Click Start to begin scanning network traffic
3) You can select the Tracking menu and then
select Track with AirSnare or with Ethereal.
4) If the border color turns RED this is the
"visual alert", you can right click and select "Acknowledge Alarm" in
the Alarms menu and it will go back to black.