has got to be the favorite cake recipe in the
ĺ cup butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups sugar
ĺ cups milk
2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
4 egg whites, beaten stiff
ĺ cups poppy seeds
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter and flour a large tin (or rectangular Pyrex dish).
1. Pour milk over poppy seeds and let stand at least 2 hours.† I frequently do this before going to bed and let them stand in the fridge, overnight.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the poppy seed and milk mixture and mix until blended thoroughly.
4. Sift flour with baking powder and add to the mixture.† Mix until just blended.† Do not overmix.
5. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites until just incorporated.
6. Pour in to prepared baking dish and bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Note: I have never had this cake be ready in 25 minutes.† It always takes longer.† Use a tester to ensure that the cake isnít gooey in the middle.† When itís ready, the middle wonít be gooey, if you touch the top with your fingertip itíll have a slight spring, and itíll be lightly browned.† It should not become evenly golden brown.
This is a favorite base for a birthday cake for our family.† Split the cake and then frost and fill with a frosting made of lemon curd folded in to whipped cream.† Top and fill with the best fresh fruit you can find.
Email: jessicafm (at) mindspring.com