Source: Metro Archives

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contribute

Second and Lindsley - A car wreck photo around 1956 shows a beautiful view of the homes and buildings at this location looking north toward Howard School.  The three-story building to the left was the "Teamster's Building". This huge three-story structure was originally constructed in the late 1800's  by the Knights of  Pythias fraternity and named Battle lodge after a Civil War hero, Joel A. Battle who had since become Secretary of State for Tennessee . The building next to it with the awnings was "Red's Cafe" owned by "Red" Daughtery. Next was the Heiman Hotel which, along with the Battle Lodge, may have been designed by Adolphius Heiman, a prominent Nashville Architect. The stone wall to the right encircles the old University of Nashville campus.