The beautiful old home seems out of place on Humphreys Street south of Chestnut. Surrounded by small frame dwellings and commercial buildings, it stands proudly. Part of the home was constructed before the Civil War and belonged to the Merritt Family and to the Merritt plantation until the 1870's.  The estate covered a very large amount of  land to the south including the present day fairgrounds.

Home is presently under restoration and soon should again reflect its once former grandeur

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contribute