Old Howard School when it was located between Second Ave. and Third Ave. at the corner of  Lea Street.  Engineers found serious structural problems to the upper floors and the building was temporarily evacuated around 1939. The new  Howard School was completed around 1940. The two upper floors of the old building were removed. The remaining part of the old building is now a maintenance shop for Metro. The houses surrounding the school here were acutally very prominent homes during this period of South Nashville history. The wooden add-on structures shown on the rear of many the houses were the servant quarters for that particular house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contribute