View from the Roof of Lindsley Hall in 1864. The road in the distance is Second Ave. or old Market Street. The view is to the West.  Notice that the foundations of the houses on the right of the photo are painted white. These probably are being used as hospital wards for the Union Army. It was standard practice of the army medical staff to have the foundations painted white in order to ward off "the contagion."

Another view from Lindsley Hall looking northwest. Again, notice the white foundations. The homes on the right would be homes located on Rutledge Hill north of the University of Nashville campus.

North view from the roof of Lindsley Hall on the University of Nashville campus.  The downtown area can be seen in the distance to the left of the river. The obstructions in the river are the piers of the bridge which connects downtown to east Nashville.  Notice the horses and tent in the foreground. These are probably sentry posts of the Union forces. The road across the foreground is present-day Hermitage Avenue or what was then Filmore St.

View looking southwest from Lindsley Hall in 1864. The stone building on the left is the Main Classroom Builidng for the University of Nashville and the street along the front of the campus is south Market Street or later called Second Avenue south.  The hill in the center of the photo is the location of Fort Negley or St. Cloud Hill. The hill beyond is the location of a second Union fort called Fort Casino on the present-day resevoir hill.



The photographer intended to shoot panoramas - This is two of the above photos put together for a wide view of the front of the campus.

 Click HERE to see full panorama view

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contribute