Kiwanis of Cape May Court House History
The Kiwanis Club of Cape May Court House was founded November 30, 1943 under the sponsership of the Cape May City Club. The organization meeting was held in the Old Court House building where the
bylaws were adopted and the first officers were elected. The Charter officers were: Chris Dannenhauer, President; Burton Smith , Vice President; S. Henry Vance, Treasurer; and Henry H. White, Secretary.
Dr. G. M. Brooks, Preston Fisher, Osmond M. Corson, Paul M. Scull, Ralph Evans, Raymond B. Errickson and William B. Powell were chosen as the first Directors.
The Charter was presented at the Methodist Social Hall on the evening of January 20, 1944.
Of the 34 Charter Members only one is still active in the club, Dr. John Brick.
Some of the firsts in club activity in service to the community in fundraising were:
- The Annual Minstrel Show from 1950-1960.
- Building and maintining the refreshment stand at the Middle Township High School football field. Erecting a 4' x 18' sign for the Middle Township Panther football team - 1963.
- Having 50 Coast Guard recruits at our Christmas dinner - 1967.
- First Pancake Supper Fundraiser - 1968.
- First Christmas Tree Sale Fundraiser - 1968.