Explanation of 1870 census columns
- Dwelling houses numbered in order of visitation.
- Families numbered in order of visitation.
- The Name of every person whose place of abode on the first day of June,
1870, was in this family.
- Age at last birthday. If under 1 year, give
months in fractions, thus: 3/12.
- Sex--Males (M.) Females (F.)
- Color--White (W.), Black (B.), Mulatto (M.), Chinese (C.), Indian (I.)
- Profession, Occupation, or Trade of each person, male or female.
- Value of Real Estate.
- Value of Personal Estate.
- Place of Birth, naming State or Territory of U.
S., or the Country, if of foreign birth.
- Father of foreign birth.
- Mother of foreign birth.
- If born within the year, state month (Jan., Feb., etc.)
- Attended school within the year.
- Cannot read.
- Cannot write.
- Whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, or idiotic.
- Male citizens of U.S. of 21 years of age and up.
- Male citizens of U.S. of 21 years of and and upwards,
whose right to vote is denied or abridged on other grounds
than rebellion or other crime.