Solsona Town, Ilocos Norte  Province,  Region 1, Luzon  Islands, Philippines

Geographical Features

Location and Boundaries

Solsona, the sunny gateway to the fertile plateaus of the province of Kalinga-Apayao, is located at the easternmost part of the province. It is a tri­angular-shaped town of approximately 140 square kilometers and more than 30 kilometers east of Laoag City. It is a small but peaceful community endowed with beauty and natural resources. It is bordered by the Cordillera mountain ranges on the east, Dingras on the west, Piddig and Carasi' on the north and northwest, and longitudinal Nueva Era on the southeast.

Land Area and Topography

The town occupies a land area of 14,500 hectares One-fourth of the territory nestles on the foothills of the Cordillera. The southern sector is traversed by the Gasgas and Madangan Rivers that easily overflow during rainy days. Farm lands are spread throughout the town and are watered by streams that swell during the rainy season.

Climate

The town experiences two clearly different seasons - the wet season which starts from May and lasts up to October and the dry season which occurs from November to April. The coldest days occur in December to Feb­ruary, while the hottest days are in April.

Town History

Establishment

In the early part of the 18th century, settlers from Laoag immigrated to the plains of Solsona which were then occupied by the illiterate tribes called Itnegs. However, these settlers did not live permanently in the place. They only built temporary houses where they would stay during harvest seasons.

Today, people who migrated from Laoag, San Nicolas, and Batac inhabit the different barangays of Solsona

In 1788, Solsona was organized with Nicolas Joban as cabeza de barungay. The first seat of government was in Santiago, the most populous and progressive barangay of the town. However, in 1855 a great flood occurred and washed away the town, causing a lot of damages. The ruins of the church in Santiago which was damaged by the flood are still seen today.

After the great flood in 1855, the people no longer build their houses in Santiago. Instead, they moved to Rancheria Cabanuagan, where the town proper is situated now. In that same year, the town was organized with Ignacio Guillermo as the cabeza de barungay.

In 1904, another flood swept the town, destroying the central part of the poblacion and the two big barangays, Bago-bago arid Bagbag. Many damages were incurred. Animals were drowned, houses were destroyed and big trees fell.

In the same year, Solsona was annexed to Dingras. However, its annexation did not last long because in 1910 Solsona became again an independent municipality through the efforts of some leaders of the town.

Origin of Its Name

The town was first named Kaitnegan, because the first settlers were Itnegs. In the middle of the 19th century, the place was given another name, Sonsona (place of pushing), because the Itnegs were forcibly pushed back to the mountains.

When a team of surveyors arrived in the place to look for a more suitable town site, they asked the name of the place and received the answer, "Solsona," because that was how the word sounded to them. They thought that the name was appropriate, because the place seemed to be where the sun rises. Thus, the term Sonsona was corrupted and hispanized into Solsona which sounded better and was more appropriate.

There is another theory regarding the naming of the town. Instead of adapting the name rancheria, the Spaniards named it Nueva Solsona after the name of a town somewhere in the northern part of Spain. Nueva is a Spanish term for new and usually the word “new" is prefixed to the name of the place founded to distinguish it from the old one.

Religious History

When the seat of government was transferred from Santiago to its present location, a temporary church was built. The parish priest did not reside there permanently. However, he visited the place during weekends.

The new church was built recently and the funds came from Nueva Segovia.  About 40 percent of the population are followers of the Roman Catholic Church.

In 1902, the Aglipayan Church was established through the efforts of Rev. Clemente Edralin, with the help of some followers. A church was built and about 59 percent of the population now are followers of the Aglipayan religion.

The third religious group organized in Solsona is the United Church of Christ in the Philippines. Recently, various 9mall religious denominations, such as the Iglesia ni Cristo and the Pentecostal Church, were founded in some parts of Solsona.

 

 SOURCE AND OTHER INTERESTING INFORMATION