Selected Writings of Bernard DeVoto
The Year of Decision: 1846 (1943), excerpts
The Hour (1951), excerpt
Easy Chair articles, from Harper's Magazine
- "The Life of Jonathan Dyer" ("Jonathan Dyer,
Frontiersman"), Harper's, September 1933
BDeV's memoir of his Mormon grandfather.
- "New England: There She Stands," Harper's,
"New England is a finished place."
- "The Ex-Communists," Atlantic Monthly,
"...they have recanted ideas which only fools would ever have accepted."
- "The West Against Itself," Harper's,
The landgrab: America's public lands under assault by private interests.
- "The Centennial of Mormonism," expanded
version, from Forays and Rebuttals, 1936
The Mormon Church in legend, doctrine, and 20th-century success.
- "Yankee Grand Tour," New England Journeys
of Ford Times, no. 2, 1954
What to see in New England, traveling by car.
- "Homily for a Troubled Time," Woman's
Day, January 1951
Man must face the atomic age, not flee from it.
- "Utah," American Mercury, March 1926
The petty philistinisms of the society BDeV left behind.
- "God -- Litterateur," The Guardian,
Analysis of The Doctrine and Covenants of the Mormon Church.
- "Ogden: The Underwriters of Salvation," from
The Taming of the Frontier, 1925
How the Mormon Church established and dominated Utah.
- to Robert S. Forsythe, 6 October 1927
- to Mr. Warren, 10 December 1943
- to Jarvis Thurston, 24 May 1943
- to Raleigh Blake, 1929 (?)
- to Van Wyck Brooks, 2 August 1943
- to Willard H. Pedrick, 11 December 1952
- to Philip Graham, 22 December 1952
- to Mrs. Guilhert, 31 October 1949
- to Mr. Chambers, 22 May 1950
- to Mr. Oberholtzer, 4 April 1950
- to Mr. Foraker, 5 July 1949
All of the articles, letters and excerpts in this collection are protected
by copyright. For permission to reprint any of these writings, please
write to Mark DeVoto at email@example.com.