Middlesex County, Massachusetts
Cross Street Burial GroundOriginally located on the west side of Cross Street. Burials were made here between 1816 and the early 1900s. Now the site of Rt. 93 interstate. The graves were all moved to a fenced off section of Oak Grove Cemetery in 1958 to make way for the construction of Rt. 93.
Wade S. Hervey, city historian, made a "Record of Inscriptions" in 1937. He counted 364 stones and other markers for 426 families which represented 811 burials. He believed, from other records, that there had been about 1200 burials in total.
The transcription is available at the Medford Public Library and on microfiche at the LDS Family History Library - Fiche # 6101847.
Salem Street Burial Groundclose to Medford Square, between Salem St. and Riverside Ave.
Originally the private Burying Place for the Wade family in the late 1600s. It was acquired by the town of Medford by May of 1717. The earliest stone is marked 1683. The last burial took place in 1881. There are apparantly over 600 people buried here, however there are only 485 markers. There are believed to be over 50 slave buried in unmarked graves.
Wade S. Hervey made a transcripton of the tombstones in 1937 which is available at the Medford Public Library or on microfiche at the LDS Family History Library - Fiche # 6101848 .
Photographs of gravestones in the Salem Steet Burial Ground from Find A Grave.
Oak Grove Cemetery781-393-2488
Entrances on Playstead Road, Winthrop Street and on Grove Street.
A paragraph on the Oak Grove Cemetery from the Medford Dept. of Public Works
Purchased by the town in 1852. According to Medford Past and Present - "there is no record of internments before 1886." Still in use today.
Politicians buried in Oak Grove Cemetery from the politicalgraveyard.com
Transcriptions and photographs of some burials from Find A Grave.