Send an email to Glenn
Other MOQ people on the Web:
Mostly what follows on this page are links to posts I wrote for
the MOQ discussion lists between 1999 and 2003.
They have been edited here to improve
presentation. In most cases, but not all, I have eliminated the names and
writings of those with whom I was having a discussion, and re-phrased their
arguments. In this way a post sounds more like a short essay,
which is easier to digest than the give and take of two or more speakers.
Or at least I think so. Even so, some essays still sound like they
were shot from a cannon and need some introductory remarks to warm up the
reader, and others come off uneven, as they are amalgams of several posts on
the same subject.
Thanks to all involved in the discussions; they were
stimulating. For anyone interested in the original discussions, they are
archived at moq.org.
A few other things I wrote about the MOQ appear here for the first time.
Richard Loggins lives!
- More about his life and times than you'd ever care to know,
this treatment has Loggins being goofier
than he was in Quality in the New Millennium. If that's
possible. The site is a light-hearted response to those who erased Richard
from the MOQ Conference proceedings and thought that would be the end of him.
The Transcript of Julian Baggini's 10/2005 Interview with Robert Pirsig
- Although promised, this transcript never appeared on
robertpirsig.org. After reading it, you might understand why.
- Moral Genius: A Parody of a Fantastic Metaphysics
- Here I explain my contribution to the first ever MOQ Conference that
took place in Liverpool on the 7th of July, 2005.
- ZMM Reviewed
- My glowing review of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, written
to a friend in 1999, before joining the MOQ discussions.
- The MOQ Catechism
- What are the fundamental tenets of the Metaphysics of Quality in a nutshell?
- The SOM Strawman
- SOM is the subject/object metaphysics, but what is that?
- The Scientific Method
- Are Pirsig's attitudes about the scientific method justified?
- The Moral Taxonomy
- Is the moral taxonomy of the MOQ useful?
- God and science
- Why can't science say God is real when it says some other non-material
things, like gravity and time, are?
- Criticisms of Dynamic Quality
- Why should we believe that Dynamic Quality is real?
- Some Philosophy about Mathematics
- Is mathematics invented or discovered?
- Pirsig on Gravity
- What does Pirsig mean when he says gravity did not exist before Isaac
- Pirsig on Evolution
- Is Pirsig's view of biological evolution naive?
- On Coincidence
- Why do people attribute significance to coincidental events?
- Crap Detectors
- Does the MOQ do a good job discriminating between low and high quality
- The Enlightenment Failure
- Is it necessary to re-integrate spirit and morality with science after
the Enlightenment broke them apart?
- Gardner on Pragmatism
- Was James' Pragmatism misunderstood as idealism?
- The MOQ for Dummies
- My one attempt at satire. Is anyone laughing?
- Dynamic Quality as a Phenomenon
- Does Pirsig adequately support his notion that we have
a 'sense of value' analogous to the five traditional
- A Modern Dissing Sophist
- Making its debut appearance on this site(!), here is my
of sophists based on the song, "I am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General"
from the Pirates of Penzance.
- Excuses, retreats, and backpedaling
- Some rejoinders to my criticisms are examined.