Lincoln County Missouri Area Churches 1999-2008 List
The Methodist Churches in Lincoln County
From The History of Lincoln County, Missouri, (Chicago : Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1888) pp. 480-485.
Methodist Episcopal Churches
The Missouri Conference of the Methodist Church was organized in 1816, by the General Conference, while in session at Baltimore, Md. The first session of the Missouri Conference was held at Shiloh meeting-house, near the city of Belleview, in Illinois, commencing September 23, 1816. At this time there were two circuits only, in the territory of Missouri--Belleview and Saline--the former lying southward and the latter north- ward, and both together including all the settlements west of the Mississippi. The dividing line between these circuits was some distance south of St. Louis. At the first conference above men- tioned, John C. HARBISON and Joseph REEDER were appointed "circuit riders" for these two circuits. The second session of the Missouri Conference was held at Goshen settlement, in Illinois, commencing October 6, 1817. At this session Rev. Thomas WRIGHT was appointed circuit rider of the Belleview and Saline Circuits. The third conference was held at the Bethel meeting house, at the place of the meeting of the previous session in Illinois. At this session Thomas WRIGHT and Joseph PIGGOTT were appointed to the Missouri Circuits. The fourth session of the Missouri Conference, and the first one held west of the Mississippi, was held at McKendree's Chapel, in Cape Girardeau County, beginning September 14, 1918. John PIGGOTT and John McFARLAND were appointed to the Missouri Circuits.
The fifth session of the Missouri Conference was held at Shiloh meeting-house, St. Clair County, Ill., commencing September 13, 1820, and a new circuit, called St. Francois, was formed in Missouri. John HARRIS was appointed to Belleview Circuit and Samuel BASSETT to Saline and St. Francois.
The sixth session of the Missouri Conference was held at McKendree Chapel, in Cape Girardeau County, commencing October 17, 1821, and the seventh session was held in St. Louis commencing in October, 1822. About this time the territory east of the Mississippi was cut off from the Missouri Conference, and thereafter the sessions continued to be held in the newly admitted State of Missouri.
NEW LIBERTY METHODIST EPISCOPAL was organized in 1818, at some private house (probably that of the father of Judge S. T. INGRAM), near Corso, in the northwestern part of the county. It is believed that it was organized by Rev. John SCRIPS. The Ingrams, Owings and Hudsons were some of its constituent members. No church building was constructed until 1848, when a log chapel was erected.
The present frame building was erected in 1874, at a cost of $850. It was dedicated in July, 1875, by Rev. N. SHUMATE. It is located on Section 1, Township 50, north, Range 3 west. Among the pastors have been Revs. HENDERSON, ALDERMAN, HYDE, ANDERSON, THOMPSON, McMASTER, SHUMATE and FERELL. This is the oldest Methodist Episcopal Church in Lincoln County, and probably the first one organized therein. It is also among the first Methodist Episcopal Churches organized in Missouri Territory. In the division of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which took place in 1844 and 1845, only about four members of New Liberty Church withdrew and went with their Southern brethren into the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The rest all remained true to the old church, but, after the division, owing to the many persecutions of the adherents of slavery, this church did not prosper well until after the Civil War closed, and slavery, the cause of the division, was abolished. At the close of the war she had about sixteen members--at the present time she has about fifty.
There is but one other organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Lincoln County, and that is at the village of Truxton, where they have no church edifice, but worship in the schoolhouse. Rev. SMILEY, probably the only resident minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Lincoln County, resides at Olney, at this writing. He preaches at Truxton, in this county; at Pin Oak, in Warren County, and at Union Chapel, in Montgomery County. Prior to 1845 there were other Methodist Episcopal Churches in Lincoln County, which lost their identity when the division took place, their members going mostly in a body into the newly-organized Methodist Episcopal Church South.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH SOUTH
The church had its origin in name, as has been stated, when the people composing it withdrew from the old church. It has been fairly prosperous in Lincoln County, but owing to the large German population, among whom other churches have been organized, it has not become as strong as in some other portions of the country. The records not having been kept, it is not possible to give the dates and particulars of the several individual church organizations.
The Troy and Wentzville Circuit embraces a church each at Troy, Moscow and Slaven's Chapel, in Lincoln County, and at Wentzville, in St. Charles County. The membership of the circuit, not including Wentzville, is 175. These are very old organizations. The church edifice in Troy, known as Monroe Chapel, was erected in 1859. It is a commodious brick building, and is well preserved. Brussells Circuit lies wholly within Lincoln County, and has organizations at Brussels, Old Alexandria, Fairview, Winfield and New Church, the latter being about four miles east of Troy. This circuit has 380 members, according to the last conference minutes. Rev. O. B. HOLIDAY is the pastor of the Troy and Wentzville Circuit, and Rev. W. J. BLAKEY of the Brussells Circuit.
SMITH'S CHAPEL, METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH SOUTH, is situated on Survey 1743, in Hurricane Township, and it belongs to the Clarksville Circuit. It was organized, in 1869, by Rev. Thomas B. KING, with twenty-nine members. It now has about 160 members. The pastors have been Revs. Thomas B. KING, I. A. M. THOMPSON, J. M. O'BRIEN, Henry KAY, Jesse SUTTON, S. D. BARNETT, M. WILLIAMS, H. D. GROVES and J. W. RAMSEY, the latter being the present pastor. W. W. JAMISON has been secretary of the church ever since its organization. The frame church building, in which this organization now worships, is 32x40 feet in size, and was erected in the year 1871, at a cost of $1,200. It was dedicated in the same year by Rev. William A. TARWATER. The church at this place had formerly been Methodist Episcopal, organized in a very early day, and lost its identity after the trouble in 1844 and 1845, and before the late war. When originally organized, services were held at the residences of the old pioneers, James SMITH and Judge PEPATORS, who, with their wives, were constituent members.
The Methodist Episcopal Church South at Elsberry also belongs to the Clarksville Circuit. Another Methodist Episcopal Church South, located about two miles northeast of Auburn, belongs to the Prairieville Circuit, and the Olney Methodist Episcopal Church South belongs to the Ashley Circuit. The circuits of this denomination in Lincoln County belong to the conference district of St. Charles. An account of the pro- ceedings of the last sessions (the twenty-second) of the conference of this district, held in the last week of April, 1888, was given in the Troy Free Press, as follows:
| "The Troy Methodist Church had the pleasure
of entertaining the members of the St. Charles District Conference of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South last week. The session of the conference began Thursday
evening, April 26. Rev. S. L. WOODY, of St. Charles, preached a most excellent
"The conference met for a business session at 9 o'clock, Friday morning, Bishop HENDRIX presiding. P. P. ELLIS, of New Florence, Montgomery County, was chosen secretary. The usual committees were appointed, namely: on church records, on Sunday-schools and on church finance.
"The next matter taken up was the reports from the management of the church schools of the district. St. Charles College, under the able management of President MEYERS, was reported as having four teachers employed in giving instruction to 160 students. Prof. R. H. PITMAN, principal of Woodlawn Seminary, at O'Fallon, reported his charge to be in a most encouraging condition. The school has four teachers, is giving full courses in art and music, and has matriculated fifty students the present session, that being all that it can accommodate.
"The conference then heard from the different churches in the district, which is composed of twelve circuits, in the counties of St. Charles, Warren, Pike, Lincoln, Callaway and Montgomery. There was in these reports great cause for rejoicing among those who have at heart the interest of the church. The church membership has had a steady growth, the Sunday-schools are flourishing, and the communicants show increased zeal in good works.
"Friday evening Bishop HENDRIX preached a grand sermon on church growth. The auditorium of the Methodist Church was crowded, and all felt repaid for the ill conveniences of a packed house by the eloquence and logic of the Bishop.
"Conference met Saturday forenoon at 9 o'clock. After reading of the minutes of Friday's meeting, W. O. GRAY opened the discussion of the qualifications of a steward. A good number of members of the conference followed him in a very interesting and instructive treatment of the subject. The rest of the time before the hour for preaching was occupied by a discussion of the material interests of the church, led by Rev. S. L. WOODY, of St. Charles, and participated in by the Rev. H. M. MEYERS and others. Rev. J. W. RAMSEY, at 11 o'clock, preached an effective and pointed sermon on Christian service, when an adjournment was taken till 2:30 P.M.
"The afternoon session was opened with religious services, conducted by Rev. J. M. HOGAN, after which Rev. J. W. RAMSEY made a report on the spiritual interests of the church.
"St. Charles was chosen as the next place of meeting. The next order of business was the choice of lay delegates to the annual conference, resulting in the election of O. H. AVERY, of Troy, Rev. J. D. VINCIL, of St. Louis, D. K. PITMAN, of O'Fallon, and P. P. ELLIS, of New Florence, with M. L. CAPE, of Jonesburg, and W. O. GRAY, of Louisiana, as alternates.
"Resolutions of thanks to the people of Troy for hospitalities extended, and to the members of the Christian Church for the use of their place of worship Sunday, were passed. Conference then adjourned, to meet at St. Charles on the call of the presiding elder.
"Every one in attendance seemed to enjoy the session of conference and his stay at Troy, and pronounced it one of the most useful meetings ever held in the history of the district conference. One of the veterans of the cross expressed his appreciation by saying that the only drawback he witnessed was the fact that he could not accept all the hospitable invitations extended to him.
"Saturday evening Rev. J. M. O'BRIEN, of Shelbina, preached to a large audience at the Methodist Church, taking for his theme the missionary interests of the church. Dr. John D. VINCIL's sermon on the crucifixion was heard by a delighted audience at the Methodist Church Sunday forenoon, as was the discourse of Rev. H. M. MEYERS at the Christian Church, and Rev. H. H. CRAIG at the Colored Church. The Methodist Church was filled Sunday evening by listeners to the last discourse of the conference, that of Prof. J. M. GIBSON, of St. Charles."
Smith Chapel is located on Highway CC, a couple miles west (following the 90 degree bend CC takes) of Highway 79, and a mile or so east of the junction of HWY W and CC. As of 2006, it was an active Methodist congregation.
The above history may be disputed; as it hints, the church was actually organized much earlier than 1844 by James Smith, so the issue appears to be historical continuity. (Definition of "organized" may be debatable.) (TBR)
History of Asbury Methodist Church
This organization continued to worship in the Universalist
Church, known now as the Masonic Building, until the present
commodious brick church edifice was erected in the year 1859.
The pastors of this church have been Elders J. J. Errett, from
the organization to 1859; then the church was supplied with
preaching by different elders until 1866, when Elders William
Frazier and E. V. Rice were chosen. The pulpit was then filled
by Elder Rice until 1868. In July, 1869, James A. Wing took charge of the church as pastor, but soon resigned on account of financial difficulties. Since 1874 the pastors nave been Elders W. A. Meloan, to 1876; W. B. Gallagher, 1876-78; William Errett, 1878-79; Robert L. McHatton, 1880-81; D. M. Grandfield, 1881-84; S. W. Martin, 1884-86; J. M. Bovee, present pastor, since June, 1888. The membership at this writing is seventy-seven.
Lynn Knoll Christian Church on Survey 1743, Hurricane Township, was organized in July, 1885, by Elders Jeptha Jeans and D. M. Grandfield, with forth members. Elder Jeans has been pastor from its organization to the present time (July, 1888). The building in which they worship is a frame 32x40 feet in size, and was erected in the winter of 1885-86. It was dedicated the first Sunday of May, 1886, by Elder D. M. Grandfield. It cost about $1,000. Sunday-school, consisting of forty to fifty pupils, is taught in this house during the summer months. A. R. Barton, Sunday-school superintendent, has served since the spring of 1887.
The Corinth Christian Church, situated about one and a half miles north of the village of Foley, was organized in 1848, at the home of Frank Riffles, and in 1871 the frame church building, in which the society now worships, was built. Elm Grove Christian Church, near Mackville, was organized in 1860, under the ministry of Elder T. Ford. The present church edifice used ny this society was dedicated August 25, 1875, by Elder J. J. Errett, assisted by Elder J. H. Thomas. The text used by Elder Errett consisted of the first six verses of the sixth chapter of Second Chronicles. Following the sermon, $262.60 were collected to pay of all the indebtedness of the new church. It was built by Pendleton, of Clarksville, at a cost of $2,000.
Other organizations of the Christian Church exist in the Lincoln
County at the follwoing places: New Hope, Highland Prairie,
near Chain of Rocks; Old Alexandria, Wilson's schoolhouse,
four miles east of Troy; Winfield, Sulphur Lick, Louisville and
Hawk Point. The present brick church at Louisville was erected
in 1847. Christian ministers also preach at some other points.
Considering the many points covered, it is clear that this is one of the strongest churches in Lincoln County.
The Corinth Christian Church at Foley, Lincoln County, Missouri
History of Bryants Creek Baptist Church
The Presbyterian Churches in Lincoln County
From The History of Lincoln County, Missouri, (Chicago : Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1888) pp. 485-488.
The First Presbyterian Church of Troy was organized November 26, 1831, by Revs. William S. LACY and John S. BALL, the former the father of Rev. B. F. LACY, and the latter the father-in-law of Gov. Frederick BATES. There were ten constituent members, and Francis PARKER and Horatio S. LINN were elected and ordained ruling elders. Occasional services were held, with Rev. William BALL as minister, up till 1834; from that time till 1846, by Rev. James GALLAHER; from 1848 to 1850 Rev. David DIMOND had charge of the church; from 1850 to 1864, Rev. E. P. NOEL; from 1864 to 1868, Rev. J. V. PARKS; during part of the time from 1860 to 1870, Revs. C. P. B. MARTIN and James ROSAMOND; 1871-73, Rev. O. C. THOMPSON; from 1873 to 1888, Revs. W. B. Y. WILKIE, A. A. PFANSTEIHL and the present minister, C. Van OOSTENBRUGG, in the order here named. After the organization, until 1848, the congregation worshiped in the courthouse. On the 16th of September, 1847, the cornerstone of a brick building, on Court Street, was laid, and on the 23d of January, 1848, it was dedicated as a church. It cost $1,600. In 1868 the new and handsome edifice on Boone Street was taken in hand, and was finally completed in 1874, but not being wholly out of debt the dedication was deferred until after the debt was provided for. It was dedicated on a Sunday in July, 1875, by Rev. Dr. BROOKES, of St. Louis, his text being the second verse of the first chapter of Joshua. The building cost nearly $17,000. This society has received many members from time to time, and has lost many by dismissals and deaths, and now has a membership of seventy-five. It belongs to the St. Louis Presbytery. A session of this body was held in Troy in the first week of May, 1888, and the following is the Troy Herald's account of its proceedings:
"The presbytery met at the Presbyterian Church in Troy, Wednesday, and organized with J. G. CARR, of St. Louis, moderator, and J. A. SMITH, of St. Louis, clerk. Rev. T. Payton WALTON was received from the Palmyra Presbytery. Grand Avenue Presbyterian Church, in St. Louis, was allowed permission to call Rev. Dr. STRICKLER, of Atlanta, Ga., as pastor, J. Addison SMITH and Rev. Dr. William N. MCPHEETERS were chosen commissioners to the general assembly, with Dr. R. G. BRANK and Thomas M. BARROW as alternates. Rev. CLAGGETT, Palmyra, was allowed to work outside the bounds of the presbytery. Report of Rev. OOSTENBRUGG, from committee on bills and overtures, recommending no change in the book of church order, concerning union with other bodies, adopted. Interesting talk by Rev. WRIGHT, agent of the American Bible Society, who leaves the employ of the society in July, after a service of twenty-five years. Rev. T. P. WALTON substituted for Dr. HOLLIFIELD on education committee. Resignation of Rev. Thomas WATSON as pastor of Dardenne Church accepted, and Dr. R. P. FARRIS appointed in his place. Report of J. J. JOHNS and George PENN, Jr., committee to audit treasurer's report, accepted. Dr. FARRIS and J. H. WEAR appointed standing committee on the report of the treasurer. Statement of Mr. BOYD, of Hickory Grove Congregational Church, heard. He will put his letter in a Presbyterian church, and be taken under care of St. Louis Presbytery.
"Decided to ask presbyterial committee of the home missions committee for $200 to finish the church at South Dardenne.
"Joseph ALEXANDER, of St. Charles, was chosen superintendent of Sunday-schools of the presbytery.
"Rev. J. Addison SMITH preached an able sermon at 8 o'clock in the evening on the Christian evidences.
"The committee on Sunday-schools reported in favor of the use of lesson leaves and books of the church in the Sunday schools.
"Dr. R. P. FARRIS reported that the state of the religion among encouraging; also that there has been a gratifying growth in the membership of the churches. He condemned the purchase and reading of Sunday newspapers, as encouragement of the worst use of money and the most potent instrument of vice.
"The request of Rev. John W. STAGG, to be relieved from this presbytery and allowed to put himself under the care of the Nashville Presbytery, was granted.
"An interesting free conversation on the state of the churches was held, and showed an encouraging condition of affairs.
"The following resolution by Rev. J. A. SMITH was unanimously adopted:
"Resolved, That this body tender its manifold thanks to the good people of Troy for their elegant hospitality and for the sweet communion around their firesides. Judging the past by the present, we wonder not at the siege of Troy as told in classic story: Troy was work the siege. We invoke upon the pastor, his family and his people the enriching tokens of the Divine favor."
"Presbytery adjourned to Thursday, September 20, at 11 A. M., at Joachim Church, Jefferson County."
The Cumberland Presybterian Church at Olney was organized in the fifties at Mount Vernon schoolhouse, and was afterward moved to Olney. The first members were Charles HUDSON, Hiram HENDRIX, John H. DOWNING, Thomas HAMMETT and their wives. The present frame edifice, 34x54 feet, was erected in 1879, and cost $1,400. It was dedicated in 1880 by Rev. Ephraim PHARR, assisted by Rev. Taylor BERNARD, who held a revival at Olney, resulting in the acquisition of thirty new members, and through whose efforts, mainly, the church building was erected. Capt. John H. DOWNING was the leader in building it, and was the principal contributor in furnishing the funds for that purpose. The pastors, since the organization moved to Olney, have been Revs. Taylor BERNARD, Ephraim PHARR, J. W. DUVAL, Henson MCGEE and H. P. INGRAM. The present pastor is W. H. JONES. The membership is sixty-five. There is another church of this denomination located at Auburn, and preaching by its ministers is had at some other points.
There is an organization some miles northeast of Troy, called the "Reformed Presbyterian Church."
Organized 1834 by these Reid's, Alexander's and Finley's who were from the Associate Reformed congregation in Shelby County, Kentucky.
Saint Alphonsus' Church.--Judge Henry T. Mudd, who settled at Millwood in 1839, was the first Roman Cath- olic to enter the lands in the northwest part of Lincoln County. During the years 1840 and 1841 services of his church were occasionally held at his house by Father Wal- ters. In 1842 a log church, costing about $300, was erected and fitted up for services, and continued to be used until about the year 1850, when a brick edifice, costing $6,000, was erected in its stead. This fine church, together with its $800 organ, was caught in a cyclone in 1876, and completely destroyed. Soon thereafter the present frame church building, 34x76 feet in size, and 20 feet in height, with organ and side galleries, was erected at a cost of $4,000. It was dedicated, when completed, by Peter Richard Kenrick, archbishop of St. Louis. In the ministry of this church Father Walters was followed by Father Murphy, of Monroe County, who held services twice a month during the years of 1842 and 1843. He was followed by Father Robert Wheeler, of St. Louis, who located at Millwood and took entire charge of the church for two or three years. Following him, and up to 1849, one or two others officiated temporarily. In 1849 Father Daniel Lyne located at Millwood, and officiated until 1858, when he left. He built the brick church in 1850. He was suc- ceeded by Fathers Healey, O'Reagan, O'Hanlon and Cummings,* who filled the remaining space of time up to 1863, and since that time Father Thomas Cleary, the present priest, has officiated, having been a resident of Millwood all the while. This church has about 130 familes in membership, and averages about fifty baptisms and twelve weddings a year. In connection with this church a fine two-story frame building 18x60 feet in size, with a one-story wing 18x30 feet attached, has just been completed for a convent school. It stands on a beautiful lot, adjoining the church on the north. Father Daniel Lyne is said to have been as tal- ented a minister as ever filled a country pulpit. He once preached *Perhaps these four are not named in exact order.
HISTORY OF LINCOLN COUNTY. 491
a sermon in Washington, with Daniel Webster as an attentive listener, and was one of the two delegates who represented Mis- souri in the Buffalo Immigration Convention early in the fifties. He died in Ireland about the year 1870. After leaving Millwood Father Cummings located at Louis- iana in Pike County, Mo. The Drake Constitution provided that every priest, preacher and teacher, as well as every officer or voter, should take the " iron-clad oath." This Archbishop Kenrick forbade his clergy to do, as such an interference with church matters was contrary to the constitution of the United States. In obedience to the Archbishop's commands, and, no doubt, in accordance with the dictates of his own conscience, Father Cummings refused, as generally did the Catholic priest- hood in Missouri, to take the "test oath of loyalty," as it was called, but continued to perform his ministerial duties. Accord- ingly, he was arrested, and, refusing to give bond for his appear- ance at court, he was placed in jail. About the same time other Catholic priests in Missouri were arrested, but their cases were continued with the understanding that Father Cummings' should be made a test case. This case was taken to the supreme court of the United States, where a decision was rendered in favor of the defendant, and against the validity of the so-called test oath, and thus ended all such cases in Missouri. The Church of the Immaculate Conception, parsonage and schoolhouse, are situated on an eminence midway between Chain of Rocks and Old Monroe. Holy services were held in the parsonage as early as 1860, and were first celebrated by Father C. Tintrup, of St. Paul, Mo. The present frame and log church edifice was erected in 1867, at a cost of $4,000, and was dedicated by Father P. Gerard. The pastors have been Fathers C. Tintrup, of St. Paul, Mo.; Nicholas Standinger, of St. Peters, Mo.; George Fuersterberg and J. G. Sudeik. The latter, the present pastor, has served ever since August 19, 1875. The membership of this church consists of seventy-two families. The -corner-stone of the schoolhouse was laid August 22, 1879, and the blessings of the school were given in December of that year by Rev. Father H. Muehlsiejun, vicar-general of the Most Rev. Archbishop Peter Richard Kenrick, D D., of St.
492 STATE OF MISSOURI.
Louis. This building is of brick, and is 28x40 feet in size, the upper part being the dwelling of the Sisters having charge of the school.
The History of Lincoln County (1888), pages 490-492 mentions two of the above Catholic Churches, those having been formed prior to the 1888 publication date. According to this chapter, dates listed above relate to the construction of the first "real" (i.e. probably officially "dedicated") church building while the earliest activity was: St. Alphonsus (1840/1841 services, 1842 log cabin church) and Immaculate Conception (1860 first services in parsonage).
The "Early History of Sacred Heart Parish" [Troy] is a description of the history of that parish with brief mention of the role of early settlements of Mashek and Millwood.
St. Paul's German Evangelical Church stands on an eminence midway between Chain of Rocks and Winfield. It was erected on its present site in 1859 of logs, and was replaced in 1881 by the present fine brick edifice, which was built by subscription at a cost of $3,400. Forty-five families, numbering about 225 souls included in the church, have services every Sunday. They have about twelve baptisms per year. Rev. Philip Albert is now, and for many years has been, pastor of this church. The school in connection with the church was organized about sixteen years ago, and for the last six or seven years has been under the imme- diate control of Rev. Albert. Evangelical Zion Church at Troy, was organized July 24, 1887, by Rev. Philip Albert, with sixteen constituent members. The fine brick church edifice, standing prominently on a mound- like hill in the northeastern part of the town, was erected in 1887, and was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day of that year. It cost $2,000. This society, as yet, has not increased its membership. There are two other organizations of this denomination in the county, located at Moscow and Big Creek.
The denomination is reported as Old School Primitive or Hard Shell Baptist who were a break-away branch of Calvinist Baptist who did not believe in missions. Reportedly, this Baptist sect was popular in Kentucky in the early 1800's and found its way into St. Charles and Lincoln Counties as the result of cheap land from the Land Grant act of 1820 where land went for $1.50 to $2.50 an acre. The minister in the 1860's was Thomas Jefferson Wright (wife Caroline). Recorded in the 1860 census. Thomas Jefferson Wright died September 20 1867 Aged 64 Years 5 Months & 14 Days. His wife Caroline died June 24, 1869 Aged 70 Years 10 Months & 4 Days. They were buried in a cemetery known as the Wright Cemetery (aka Sand Run Cemetery?) but the stones were removed and are "now preserved in the basement of The Old Rock House-Home of Shapley Ross Moscow Mills, Missouri. These were the only two stones listed and the location of the cemetery and graves is presumed lost. GBNF Volume VIII, page 174.
Nearly all the churches situated in the towns and villages of Lincoln County support and maintain Sunday-schools in their respective edifices, and in some of the country churches, but not in all, Sunday-schools are taught, except during that portion of the year when the roads are almost impassable. In April, 1880, a Union Sunday-school organization was formed at the Methodist Episcopal Church South, in Troy, and the following officers were selected: W. J. Knott, president; S. R. Woolfolk, P. G. Shelton and W. A. Woodson, vice-presidents; T. J. Nally, treasurer; and 0. H. Avery, secretary. In July, 1888, a Sunday-school conven- tion was held in the Christian Church at Troy, for the purpose of encouraging more thorough organization in Sunday-school
HISTORY OF LINCOLN COUNTY. 493
work, and. if possible, to provide Sunday-school facilities for the many children in the county that are deprived of such priv- ileges.
Methodist Episcopal. Information via the internet (ca. 2008) is very sketchy and not certain. He performed marriages in Missouri, at least including the mid-1860's. At least some of his marriages are recorded St. Louis, See FamilySearch.org International Genealogical Index (IGI) Batch M515697. It appears he MAY have been a circuit rider and MAY have performed marriages in the Lincoln County area ca. 1866. One of his recorded marriages is for my great-grandparents in 1866 who lived in the area of Dameron in Hurricane Township and I suspect would not have travelled all the way to St. Louis to be married. He appears to have been the Rev. Wesley Browning who was involved with the M.E. Indian missions in Missouri and Oklahoma (1845).
Name: Rev. Wesley Browning
Date of Death: Nov. 05, 1888 [sic] - 12:20am
Age: 93y 2m 21d
How long residant in the state: 50y
Place of death: Eden, St. Louis Co., Mo
Place of burial: Wesleyan Cemetery
Date of burial: Nov. 01, 1888 [sic]
St. Louis County, Roll C 36953, Page 71, Number 914
Calculates to birth August 15th, 1795.
1880 Census Place Central, St. Louis, Missouri
Family History Library Film 1254715
NA Film Number T9-0715
Page Number 70C
Wesley BROWING Self M Male W 84 MD Minister MD MD
Phoebe BROWING Wife M Female W 60 NY Keeps House MD MA
Fletcher BROWING Son S Male W 25 MO Works On Farm MD MA
Frederick FRICKE Other W Male W 79 PRUSSIA Gardener PRUSSIA PRUSSIA
The following was found in "Abstracts of Obituaries in the 'Western Christian Advocae' 1834-1850", c1988. On page 74: Mrs Phebe G. Browning died 15 Sept 1841 near St Louis MO, father: E. Battelle of Ohio, married Rev. Wesley Browning supt. of Indian Missi ons of Upper MO, Rev. Browning transferred from Pittsburg Conf. to Missoursi Conf. [note - in the original paper this is found on page 8 of issue 152, 14 Jan 1842]
I believe this Rev Browning to be one in the same as the Wesley Browning in Harrison Co OH at an early time period. Harrison Co OH would have been in the Pittsburg Conf. The Browning family that stayed in Harrison Co may turn out to be a sibling of Wesley . The names Wesley and Phebe appear in my Thomas and Hannah Browning Drake line. Any connection?
The year 1845, Reverend W. H. Goode visited the Chickasaw council and entered into an agreement with them to build a mission school for the education of the Chickasaw youth. This school was to be a manual labor school, under the direction of the Methodis t Episcopal Church.
It was first called the McKendree Manual Labor School, but was soon changed to Chickasaw Manual Labor School. Reverend Wesley Browning, who transferred from the Missouri conference to the Indian Mission conference the year 1845 was placed in charge as sup erintendent, which carried with the appointment the responsibility of erecting suitable buildings.
... Reverend J. C. Robinson followed Wesley Browning as superintendent, remaining for a period of about twenty years.
History of the Missisions of the Methodist Episcopal Church, From the Organization of the Missionary Society to the Present Time Strickland, Rev. W. P, A. M.; Cincinnati; L. Swormstedt & J. H. Power; 1850; Page 86:
86 MISSION AMONG THE INDIANS. [cHAP. Iv. At their general council of the nation, an act was passed, providing for the establishment of seven literary institutions within their national limits. Two of these, Fort Coffee Academy and Nunnawaya Academy, were placed under the supervision of the Methodist Church, with an annual appropriation to the former of six thousand dollars, and to the latter of six thousand, five hundred dollars. The Rev. Win. H. Goode was appointed to take charge of the Fort Coffee Academy, and the Rev. Wesley Browning of the Nunnawaya Academy. The Indian Mission conference having been formed, the Choctaw mission was embraced in the Choctaw district. In 1845 the average number of students set down to the Fort Coffee Academy was forty. The other institution, over which was placed the Rev. Mr. Browning, proved a failure, and the funds were diverted by the National council into other channels.
The earliest preaching and quarterly meetings of the Dover Methodist society were held at the house of William Butt in winter. and at his barn in summer, for eight or nine years. The appointment was then changed to Jacob Welty's farm, where it was continu ed until the citizens built a schoolhouse in Dover. Different denominations worshiped here. The first Methodist sermon in this building was preached by Rev. Billings O'Plympton. In 1832, the initiatory steps were taken to erect a Methodist Church edifice, John Hildt, Jr., John Winrott, Richard Burrell, Reuben Gardner, Thomas Spach, Michael Swagler and Edward Wolf were elected Trustees and the work was commenced. The building was dedicated January 19, 1834, by Rev. Wesley Browning. The Dover Circuit, was s truck off from the Canton Circuit in 1832. Wesley Browning was Presiding Elder that year, and Revs. John Johnson and G. D. Kinnear ministers in charge;
E-Mail to Neal
Lincoln County, Missouri page
Main Genealogy page
© Copyright 2007-2008. All rights reserved.