Thorens TD-111 Restoration
#5315
| go home |

   
Above is the original single speed 33 1/3 rpm TD-111 issued in 1962 and a current refurb with a modded Syntec Tonearm.

"The new Swiss made Thorens model TD 111 transcription turntable is not just one more turntable amongst others. It incorporates some of the essential construction elements of the world famous TD 124 turntable and its basic performance is of the same very high quality. The experience of more than half a century in the production of high quality phonograph equipment, many years of leadership in the High Fidelity field and the traditional pride of our Swiss craftsmen for precision and finely finished work are conferring to the TD 111 its own outstanding character."

.... I am feeling a pride of ownership thing going on here ....


       
Above is the TD-111 as it was when I acquired it.
p.s. yeah, I know that the Start is engaged. So what?

Looks like the original tonearm mounting hole was modded to accept an SME mount. this leaves a crappy cutout situation that might have to entirely cutout. A new belt was put in and the idler well and underside of the platter were cleaned. The bottom looks a little hacked at.


First to get the paint off

   

Peel Away works well enough and without all the fumes. First coat got most of the paint off except for what adhered to the edges. Another application is needed. The table adheres to the plinth stronger than my will to pry it loose. Last thing I want if to screw it up by twisting and pulling before I have even begun, so it stays stuck. Tough to apply the goop but I used cutout cereal boxes into the slot between the table and plinth and removed it after the goop was on. That kept the goop away from the table; scraping it off was smooth as pie with a paint scraper at a 45 degree angle. The paint just peels away, no foolin'. It easy to keep away from mucking up the table by just scraping at an angle away from it. Below you can see the outcome so far still wet from the Peel Away.



Trial run with the RB250

The SME cutout shown above still has the Ortofon cutout still present. To find the mounting point I used a rig made of a thread spindle  + knitting needle + thread + button.  I set the  rig on the  NAD and moved the string across 'till it centered in the mounting hole. To mount the arm securely two 7/8 inch washers + 4mm spacer will be used. With the setting saved on the rig I moved it onto the Thorens  then  moved the washer 'till the thread was centered.


   
 


It is very rough looking but plays like a champ. Dead on at 60mhz after 10 minutes. Impact, presence, rock solid decay and sustain. I can't see going back to a belt after hearing piano on this table. There are no neurotic piano notes - this carries across to strings. The sound is plain solid.  Without going into play by play I will say that all the attributes that I have heard touted for these idler tables turn out to be true.

From some discovery and some help from inmates it looks like I have a list of things to address. I cleaned the main bearing and housing and removed more of the paint, and put an oil finish on the plinth. Glued the armboard down. Damped some open areas under the plinth with generic Blu Tac. The works and arm go on next.




So on goes the works and the arm and is aligned with the "mosin" alignment rig.


The mount is made with two alloy 7/8" cut washers, top one painted black, bottom one not. They provide a solid mount correcting for the SME cutout and the chipped away armboard underside.



Two generous inmates sent me dustbugs. One is the original and one that has a grounding lead. I will use BOTH! The original just needs to go back onto the base which has been glued on. The one with the ground eliminates static nicely.



This arms is a 1960-70's circa Piezo/Syntec/Sparta/Mosin tonearm. It shows a resemblance to the AT-1005. Mr.Win Tinnon added the creature comfort called the cuing arm and arm rest. I will add an anti-skate a bit later.



The plinth came up OK. Not great but OK. I will need to get around to getting a new plinth but maybe NEXT year.



________________________________________________




New grommet time. After having a look at them again I guess it's obvious. And how did that belt get oily. Damn!



These are the new ones which I got from Advanced Anti vibration Components for about $5 a piece. These cut noise by 90%. It's incredible. Whisper quiet. I had to bend down with my ear to the open works to hear anything. Now there is an added delicacy to the sonic wham.
Model number V10Z61MA2 is what I got .
And this is where I got the idea: http://homepage2.nifty.com/pantone/thorens/isolation_of_vibration.htm

Motor cleaning next ....
using this resource:


I sorted out the motor cleaning but wound up using a NOS motor.
I need to go back and redo the work I did on the first motor, dirty job, but the thing is up and running using an Ebony DL-103.
DL-102 is on the way.

A little plinth work is up next. I think I will just truss up what is there with layers onto the inside panels.



Nov 8 2009