Camden Station (Baltimore, Md.)
Located near the Baltimore Inner Harbor and the Orioles baseball stadium, the first Camden Station was built by the B&O Railroad in the 1856. It is the northern terminus of the Camden line. There is no provision to turn trains at this location. Camden is also a stop on the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) Light Rail south to Glen Burnie and north to Towson. The actual B&O Camden station is not used for commuter purposes any more.
From 1856-1876, the station was the terminus of the only rail line from Washington, DC heading north. It is safe to say that every President and member of Congress passed through here. Camden was the B&O's primary terminal since the 1850's. Nearby is the southern entry point to the Howard Street tunnel, 1.4 miles long to the Mt. Royal Station. In 1868, the Camden cut-off on the B&O Old Main Line was built, allowing passenger traffic to bypass Mt. Clare. In the 1880's a 600 foot long freight shed was built at Camden, and in 1883, a grain elevator was added here. Camden was also the terminus of the Annapolis & Baltimore shortline electric railroad.
The Civil War's first bloodshed was seen in the neighborhood of the Camden Station in the Baltimore, or Pratt Street, Riot. The 6th Massachusetts Infantry, recently arrived in the city from the north in response to President Lincoln's summons, was set upon by a group of Southern sympathizers as they made there way through the streets between the railroad stations. There were both civilian and military casualties.