PRAYER Rx --- November 19
Dear Lord Jesus, You, through the Holy Spirit's leading into truth, helped Your servant, J. B. Phillips,* to see that it was PRIDE that caused You the greatest anger. You believed that man, all of us, must recognize this and overcome it if we were ever to follow Your way, Your truth, and Your light. ... Help us to consider this as we read Phillips' translation of Your beatitudes:
(1) "Happy are those who realize their spiritual poverty: they have already entered the kingdom of Reality.
(2) "Happy are they who bear their share of the world's pain: in the long run they will know more happiness than those who avoid it.
(3) "Happy are those who accept life and their own limitations: they will find more in life than anybody.
(4) "Happy are those who long to be truly 'good:' they will fully realize their ambition.
(5) "Happy are those who are ready to make allowances and forgive: they will know the love of God.
(6) "Happy are those who are real in their thoughts and feelings: in the end they will see the ultimate Reality, God.
(7) "Happy are those who help others to live together: they will be known to be doing God's work."
Let us prayerfully consider Phillips' translation as we seek the Holy Spirit's guidance for a better understanding of Your truth.
In the name of Jesus we pray.
* (From "YOUR GOD IS TOO SMALL," by J. B. Phillips)