Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 SNODDY1 was born 1720 in Scotland1, and died 1784 in Washington Co Va1. He married AGNES GLASGOW1 October 07, 1741. She was born 1722, and died 1806.
Notes for JOHN SNODDY:
CAPTAIN JOHN SNODDY OF WASHINGTON COUNTY, VIRGINIA
Captain John Snoddy was born in Scotland about 1720 and died in
Washington County, Virginia, in 1784.
Jane Snoddy, born in 1744
John Snoddy, born September 15, 1746, married Elizabeth Sampson on March l7, 1779;
Mary Snoddy, born in 1748;
Samuel Snoddy, born in 1751,
Elizabeth Snoddy, born in 1753 chiId who died in infancy
Robert Snoddy born in 1757, married Sophia Shaittle;
Alice Snoddy, born in 1759, married John Brown in November 1780; Thomas Snoddy, born in 1761, married Hannah Davis;
William Glasgow Snoddy, born in 1763, married Sarah Davis.
Leaving Philadelphia, John and Agnes Glasgow Snoddy migrated to
Buckingham County, Virginia,
Reference; Sumkmer's History of Southwest Virginia pages 256,261,275,625,854,
864; American Ancestory Vol 8, pages 74,75
More About JOHN SNODDY:
Occupation: Captian of Militia1
Children of JOHN SNODDY and AGNES GLASGOW are:
i. JANE2 SNODDY1, b. 1744.
ii. JAMES SNODDY1, b. September 15, 1746.
iii. JOHN SNODDY1, b. September 15, 1746.
iv. MARY SNODDY1, b. 1748.
v. SAMUEL SNODDY1, b. 1751.
vi. ELIZABETH SNODDY1, b. 1753.
vii. ROBERT SNODDY1, b. 1757.
2. viii. ALICE SNODDY, b. 1759; d. 1789.
ix. THOMAS SNODDY1, b. 1761.
x. WILLIAM GLASGOW SNODDY1, b. 17631.
Generation No. 2
2. ALICE2 SNODDY (JOHN1)1 was born 1759, and died 1789.
Notes for JOHN (JACK) BROWN:
As John and his father were leaving their home in Maryland to take up residence in
Washington County, North Carolina,it was considered
important to have proof of his loyalty to the colonies. After locating'
in North Carolina he enlisted.in Captain Evan Shelby's Company of
Volunteers and fought in the Battle of King's Mountain on October 7,
1780. (Shelby Papers IIDD27 King's Mountain Manuscript, Draper
Collection. ) Soon after this battle took place John Brown married Alice Snoddy,
daughter of Captain John Snoddy and Agnes Glasgow, who were married October 7,
John Brown, son of Peter Brown, lived (according to his grave stone)
from 1760 to 1822.
John first married Alice Snoddy, daughter of John Snoddy and Agnes (Glasgow)Snoddy.
John’s second marriage, circa 1791, produced 10 children, all born in
the Washington District:
The children of John and Alice, except for Absalom, along with Vinnie,
move into the Sequatchie River Valley
Children of ALICE SNODDY and JOHN BROWN are:
3. i. ABSALOM3 BROWN, b. 1778.
4. ii. MARY (POLLY) BROWN, b. February 20, 1783, Washington Dist. NC; d. May 01, 1859, Sequatchie County,Tenn.
iii. PETER BROWN1, b. 1785.
5. iv. WILLIAM BROWN, b. August 10, 1787, Brown Cemetery #3, Hall's Crossroads, Knox County, Tennessee..
6. v. ALICE BROWN, b. 1790, died of Smallpox Marion County, Tennessee on 2/1/1836.
Generation No. 3
3. ABSALOM3 BROWN (ALICE2 SNODDY, JOHN1)1 was born 1778. He married MARY (JANE?) GREEN.
Notes for ABSALOM BROWN:
Died in Childhood
Children of ABSALOM BROWN and MARY GREEN are:
i. THOMAS4 BROWN.
ii. GREEN BROWN.
iii. RUSSEL BROWN.
iv. MARY MARGARET BROWN.
v. MISSOURI BROWN.
vi. (REV.) WILLIAM SANFORD BROWN.
vii. PERMELIA PARRY BROWN.
viii. ABSALOM BILLOAT BROWN, JR.
4. MARY (POLLY)3 BROWN (ALICE2 SNODDY, JOHN1)1 was born February 20,
1783 in Washington Dist. NC1,
Notes for MARY (POLLY) BROWN:
Mary (Polly) Brown, , was born
February 20, 1783 in The Washington District, NC. She died May 01, 1858 in
Absalom Deakins was born January 06, 1781 in Ft. Watauga, Washington
District, NC. He died October 10, 1852 in Dunlap,
Nine children resulted from this marriage: Martha, John B., Achsah,
James, Alice, Franklin, Madison, Absalom,
The Deakins family and their descendants helped settle the Sequatchie
River Valley that now comprises Bledsoe,
More About MARY (POLLY) BROWN:
Burial: Thans Chapel1
Notes for ABSALOM DEAKINS:
Absolom was born January 6, 1781, Born in Lee county Va. He came to
Sequatchie Valley about 1812. He purchased 300
More About ABSALOM DEAKINS:
Burial: Thans Chapel outside Dunlap
Children of MARY BROWN and ABSALOM DEAKINS are:
7. i. MARTHA4 DEAKINS, b. September 17, 1804, Ft. Watauga; d. April 30, 1834, Marion Co,.
8. ii. JOHN B DEAKINS, b. October 02, 1806; d. March 05, 1844.
9. iii. ACKSAH DEAKINS, b. February 12, 1808, Ft. Watauga; d. September 08, 1843.
10. iv. WILLIAM THOMAS DEAKINS, b. April 06, 1811, Ft Watuga ChECK FOR
NEXT SPOUSE; d. March 04, 1849,
11. v. JAMES DEAKINS, b. September 16, 1813; d. February 05, 1891.
12. vi. ALICE BROWN DEAKINS, b. May 12, 1816.
13. vii. FRANKLIN DEAKINS, b. February 19, 1819, Marion Co,; d. May 26, 1908, Dunlap TN.
14. viii. MADISON DEAKINS, b. July 18, 1821; d. December 07, 1885.
15. ix. MARY DEAKINS, b. September 27, 1826; d. August 19, 1873.
5. WILLIAM3 BROWN (ALICE2 SNODDY, JOHN1)1 was born August 10, 1787 in
Brown Cemetery #3, Hall's Crossroads,
Notes for WILLIAM BROWN:
The 1850 census shows minimally these children:
William R., c. 1830; Hugh M., c 1833; Margaret R., c. 1849
and possibly James Lafayette, administrator of the will.
William Brown and his wife are buried in Brown Cemetery #3, Hall's Crossroads, Knox County, Tennessee.
Children of WILLIAM BROWN and SARAH WOOD are:
i. WILLIAM4 R..
ii. HUGH M.
iii. MARGARET R.
iv. JAMES LAFAYETTE.
6. ALICE3 BROWN (ALICE2 SNODDY, JOHN1)1 was born 1790 in died of
Smallpox Marion County, Tennessee on 2/1/1836.
Notes for ALICE BROWN:
Alice (Alie) Brown, the daughter of John and Alice Nodding Brown, was
born (circa) 1790.
John Corwin Roberts
William Roberts b. 1818
Peter Roberts b. 1828 Marion County, TN
Children of ALICE BROWN and JOHN ROBERTS are:
i. WILLIAM4 ROBERTS.
ii. MARY ROBERTS.
iii. NANCY ROBERTS.
iv. PETER ROBERTS.