Peralta Colleges, Physical Geography
Rita D. Haberlin, Instructor
STUDY QUESTIONS FOR DESERT LANDFORMS
Review the textbook, Elemental Geosystems, Christopherson, Chapter 12, Pages 401-427, and then review
the Study Guide and the Web resources in the Web Learning Module Desert Landforms.
I. DISTRIBUTION AND CAUSES OF DRY LANDS
- What climatic characteristics make desert landforms differ from those in humid regions?
- What percentage of the earth's land area is desert?
- Where are the major deserts located? Can you name them?
- What is the cause of the dry deserts in the sub tropics?
- What causes the dry deserts of the midlatitudes? What term describes this kind of desert?
II. COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT DESERTS
- What are some common misconceptions about deserts?
- What is the dominant process shaping desert landscapes?
- Why is this erosion process particularly effective in deserts?
- What is desert pavement? How does it form?
- What is desert varnish? How does it form?
Return to Desert Landforms Learning Module