Peralta Colleges, Physical Geography
Rita D. Haberlin, Instructor
STUDY QUESTIONS FOR THE HYDROLOGIC CYCLE
To help you answer the following questions, use Christopherson's Elemental Geosystems textbook, and the Study Guide, tutorials, and video in the Hydrologic Cycle learning module.
- What are the forms in which water occurs on land.
- What percentage of water is stored in the world’s oceans, glaciers, lakes, rivers, groundwater, and the atmosphere?
- Describe the processes that take place as water circulates:
- Melt runoff
- Surface runoff
- Ground water flow
- What are the factors that influence the amount of runoff and infiltration?
- What happens to most precipitation after it falls upon the land?
- How much of the water that falls as rain is spent in surface runoff, evapotranspiration, and percolation to ground water?
- What happens to sea level as more water is stored in glaciers, as precipitation increases, and when more rain falls upon the land?
- Complete the diagram in the Hydrologic Cycle Study Guide.
Return to The Hydrologic Cycle Learning Module