Peralta Colleges, Physical Geography
Rita D. Haberlin, Instructor
STUDY QUESTIONS FOR THE WORK OF STREAMS
Answer these questions with information from the Elemental Geosystems textbook, from the Surface Water Study Guide, and from the resources on the Web found in Web Exploration in the Surface Water Learning Module.
- What is the dominant process shaping the landscape?
- What is a drainage basin and a divide?
- How much of the United States is drained by the Mississippi and its tributaries?
- What are some common drainage patterns?
- What is the key factor controlling river erosion, transport, and deposition?
- What is stream gradient? What is its relationship to base level?
- How does the shape of the stream channel influence stream velocity?
- What is stream discharge? Why does discharge fluctuate?
- Which of the earth's largest river has the greatest discharge?
- How does channel width, depth, and velocity change during floods?
- How does channel width, depth, and velocity change as a stream flows toward the ocean?
Return to Surface Water Learning Module