Stephen Cromwell, for more than forty years a prominent lawyer of Camden, was born in Carlisle, Schoharie county, N.Y., September 18, 1815. With a limited common school, education he left home at the age of seventeen to seek his fortune in the West, and for two years was employed on the Mississippi River Steamboats. He spend another two years in the South and then went to Ohio, where he read law with his brother, teaching school at the same time as a means of gaining a livelihood. He was admitted to the Ohio bar in 1842, but in the following year returned to New York and in 1844 was admitted to the courts of the State. He then located permanently in Camden, Oneida county, and entered the office of D. Minor K. Johnson, to whose legal business he soon succeeded. For more than twenty years he had as his partner Ivers Monroe, a former law student. Mr. Cromwell continued in the active practice of his profession until 1887, when he retired, being succeeded by George F. Morss, also a former student. He built the house on the corner of Main and North Streets in Camden in 1860 and died there July 7, 1895.
Mr. Cromwell was a prominent member of the Oneida county bar and conducted an extensive professional business for many years. He was well versed in the science of the law, possessed a good analytical mind and a wonderfully retentive memory, was a student and a scholar, and seldom lost a case in the appellate courts. In this latter respect he was very successful. He was blunt in argument and of a nervous temperament, and before a jury lacked the expression and tact which his talents really warranted and demanded. But as an office lawyer and counselor he had no superior in the county. He won the respect and the confidence of all with whom he had professional relations, and among a wide acquaintance was highly esteemed for his many excellent qualities of head and heart. He was a staunch Republican and in local politics became quite a prominent factor. Yet he never sought nor had any desire for public preferment. He served as village president and trustee and as a member of the board of education served several years each, and always supported and encouraged every movement which promised benefit to the community. He was identified with the tanning industry in West Amboy, Oswego county, and with his son was at one time heavily interested in the salt and lumber business in Saginaw, Mich. He was also connected with the old Camden Bank. A devoted churchman he was for over forty years a vestryman of Trinity church, Camden, in the prosperity of which he took great pride. He traveled extensively, visiting nearly every State in the Union, and was well informed on all matters of general interest.
January 1, 1845, he was married to Miss Jeanette Gifford, daughter of Elihu and sister of H. W. Gifford, of West Camden, Oneida county, who bore him three children: James G., of Glen Ellen, Cal.; William, deceased: and Charles, who died in infancy. She died January 27, 1884, and on September 12, 1887, he married Mrs. Susan (Brownell) Owens, of Utica, who survives him and resides in the Cromwell homestead in Camden.
Pages 27-28 (Contributed by Renee)