ABBOTT, JOHN W., was born in the town of Annsville, July 12, 1818, and is a descendant of Peter Abbott, who was born in Connecticut, and came to this town in 1806, being among the first settlers. Peter Abbott, father of John W., married Sophia, daughter of John Spinning, by whom he had two children, Betsey, deceased, and John W., who received his education in the district schools, after which he engaged in farming. The Spinning family emigrated from Massachusetts to the town of Lee, Oneida county, in 1795, thence to the town of Florence in 1805, where they remained until death. They were among the five families to whom Gerrit Smith gave fifty acres of land each. John W. Abbott married Minerva Wetherbee, of Annsville, by whom he had eight children, four of whom are living, Frank L, Sophia, Ann and Jennie B. Mrs. Abbott died August 1, 1868. Mr. Abbott is a Democrat in politics, and has been assessor of the town for seven years and commissioner for three years. (p. 3) [Top]

ABEL, WILLIAM P., was born in Prussia, Germany, September 23, 1826, son of William and Catherine Abel, who settled in Montgomery county, N. Y. in 1834. William P. came to Oneida county in 1857. In 1849, he married Marie Keiner, by whom he had three children, Almira Tremain, Mary E. Kent, and Nettie Peckham, all of whom are natives of Oneida county. Mr. Abel started in life as a farmer, which business he has followed to the present time, and is also an apiarist, having about seventy swarms of bees. He has been assessor of the town, also trustee of the school and cemetery. (p. 3) [Top]

ACKERMAN, CHARLES, was born in the kingdom of Hanover, Germany, April 23, 1837. He received a mercantile education there, and came to the United States at the age of sixteen and became a clerk in a grocery in New York city, where he remained for two years. He came to Verona in 1855 and has been engaged in the general merchandise business most of the time since. In 1863 he married Theresa Berical, of Verona, and they have five children: Allie, Eugenia, Gustave, Arthur, and Clara. Allie married Eugene C. Dunham and resides in Auburn, N.Y. Eugenia married Robert W. Potter, of State Bridge. Mr. Ackerman enlisted in Co. E, 26th N.Y.S. Vols., and was promoted along the line from corporal to adjutant and was honorably discharged May 28, 1863, at Utica, N.Y. In February, 1864, he joined the 2d United States Veteran Volunteers as first lieutenant, after a rigid examination by a military commission, serving in that regiment for two years. He was post adjutant for six months at Albany, N.Y.; was honorably discharged June 18, 1866. John Ackerman, his father, was born at the old home in Germany and married Wilemena Fitler, by whom he had six children: Matilda, Charles, Louis, William, Allie and Gustave. Mr. Ackerman is now in business with Mrs. Rachel B. Stark, under the firm name of Ackerman & Stark, at Higginsville, N.Y. He is a member of Joseph H. Warren Post, No. 615, G.A.R., and of New London Lodge, No. 420, F & A.M., of the town of Verona. The family is of German and French descent. (p. 87) [Top]

ACKROYD, JOSEPH, was born at Little Falls, Herkimer county November 23, 1847, son of Abram and Harriet (Robinson) Ackroyd, natives of England. Abram came to the United States in 1842. He was a dyer and followed this occupation in New York Mills until he retired in 1880, and he died in 1887, aged seventy-seven years, and his wife died in 1882, at seventy-six years of age. Joseph was educated in the common schools at New York Mills and Whitestown Seminary, then engaged as clerk, remaining until he went in business for himself. Mr. Ackroyd has been very prominent in politics, being a Democrat, and has been elected supervisor of the town, justice of the peace, and member of assembly in a district that is strongly Republican. Mr. Ackroyd is a merchant and undertaker, and is foreman of the fire company. He is president of the Odd Fellows' Union and also of the Anti-Treat Society. He is a member of the Board of Education, and was the first postmaster appointed in Oneida county under Mr. Cleveland's administration. He married Adeline Hoag, daughter of Sylvanus Hoag, an old and respected merchant of Yorkville, by whom he has two children: Harriet C. and Sylvanus H. (p. 320) [Top]

ADAMS, CHARLES H., was born in the town of New Hartford, N.Y., in 1826, son of James Adams. His grandfather, James Adams, came from Hartford, Conn., at a very early date, and has been a lifelong resident of Washington Mills. Charles H. received his education in his native place, and having been reared on a farm, engaged in that occupation, and at which he still continues, occupying the old homestead. In 1850 he married Elizabeth Thomas, of Utica, by whom he has two children: Celia, wife of John Emery; and Minnie, wife of George Neice. (p. 338) [Top]

ADAMS, ELBRIDGE R., was born in Lowville, N. Y., August 9, 1837, son of Dr. Ira Adams, one of the leading physicians of Lewis county, who was born in Cavendish, Vt., August 25, 1792. Dr. Ira Adams was graduated from the regular school, but later adopted the homoeopathic method of treatment, and followed it the remainder of his active professional life, being the first doctor of that faith in the county. He married Arzelia A., daughter of Judge William Root, of Carbondale, Pa., who was born in Utica, N. Y., June 8, 1801, and died in December, 1887. Dr. Adams died at Stow's Square, Lewis county, in 1856. E. R. Adams was educated at Lowville Academy, and entered Union College in 1857, graduating in the class of 1861 with Phi Beta Kappa honors; after which he taught two years in Lowville Academy. He was then school commissioner of the Second School Commissioner district of Lewis county for three years. He subsequently read law three years with Charles D. Adams, of Lowville, and Starbuck & Sawyer, of Watertown, and was admitted to the bar, October 7, 1889. On account of failing eyeysight [sic] he abandoned the practice of law, and finally returned to his former occupation of teaching. He was then ten years principal of the Lee Center School, and taught two years in the old Whitestown Seminary, coming from that institution to Vernon in 1885, where he is serving as principal of the Union School. In 1890, through his influence, the school was changed to a graded school. In 1870 he married Anna C. Mealus, who was born in Holland Patent, N. Y., January 9, 1838, by whom he has three children: Fred R., Lillian May, and Bertha A. Mrs. Adams was educated at Turin, and Fairfield Seminary. (p. 128) [Top]

ADKINS, F.A., was born in Otsego County, June 5, 1851. He followed railroading for twenty years on the New York Central, holding every position from brakeman to conductor. Six years ago he purchased the Junction House at Richfield Junction, and has since conducted it with great success. In 1873 he married Emma Matteson, by whom he has three children: Frank, Linden, and Raymond. Mr. Adkins's, Emery Adkins, was for years connected with the hotel business in this county, being at one time proprietor of the old Sherman House in Utica. His mother, Anna (Talbot) Adkins, is still living and resides in Chicago. Mr. Adkins has a model little hotel, admirably conducted and capable of accommodating twenty guests. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 581. (p. 271) [Top]

ADAMS, GEORGE W., was born in the town of Marshall, Oneida county, in 1837, and spent his boyhood on a farm. Orphaned in early life he was left wholly dependent upon his own resources for his support and education. The eight hour law was not in force in those days, and there was much more opportunity for a boy to work than to play or study. In 1852 Mr. Adams went to the Jefferson County Institute at Watertown, N.Y., preparatory to entering college. After three years of alternate work and study he entered in 1855 the freshman class of Union College. Two years of the college term was spent at Fairfield Seminary. In 1859 he was graduated from old Union, having there won the Blatchford prize for literary and oratorical work. After teaching a private school at Brownville, N.Y., Mr. Adams commenced to study law with Doolittle & Babcock, and in 1863 was admitted to the bar. In 1864 he formed a co-partnership with Senator Richardson, which continued some fifteen years. At one time James F. Mann was a member of the firm. In 1869 Mr. Adams married Laura Crouse, who died in 1889, leaving two sons, Daniel C. and George W., jr. The former was graduated from Yale College in 1895; the latter is now attending school in Utica. Mr. Adams has always been a Republican and at one time was quite prominent in the councils of his party. Politics was not, however, congenial to his tastes, and in 1867, when Congress passed a national act of bankruptcy, he turned his attention especially to that law, acquired a very extensive practice under it, and was connected with most of the leading bankruptcy cases in this part of the State. For some fifteen years he has been a director of the Utica, Clinton and Binghamton Railroad and is now the counsel of that corporation. He is quite a large land holder in the east end of the city and interested in all that pertains to the growth of Utica. He is a charter member of the Fort Schuyler Club, a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon Club of New York city, and president of the Utica Art Association. While Mr. Adams is a man of pronounced convictions he is liberal minded, and tolerant of the opinions of others. He has enlarged his mind by foreign travel and is a lover of music and paintings, as many specimens of the latter which now adorn the walls of his house will fully testify. He is a devout follower of Isaac Walton, and few men know the North Woods more thoroughly than he. For over a quarter of a century he has been an attendant of the Dutch Reformed church. (p. 365-366) [Top]

ADAMS, JUSTUS B., son of John J. Adams, was born in Boonville December 10, 1832. In 1868 he bought a farm of 116 acres where he keeps a dairy of sixteen to eighteen cows. In 1868 he married Rhoda, daughter of Elisha and Lenda (Burdick) Scofield of Jefferson county, by whom he has three children: Pearl E., Dewey J., Lillie B. Justus B. and his wife are members of the Friends church. John J. Adams was born in Ballston, Saratoga county, February 13, 1801; he came to Boonville in 1805. He married Betsey Corwin, by whom he had six children: Ezra J., Azubah B., Eli J., Justus B., Jesse T. and Clarissa E. John J., his wife, and all the children were Friends, except Clarissa E. John J. died in 1882, aged eighty-one; Betsey, his wife, died in 1836, aged thirty-six. Ezra Adams, father of John J., was born in Connecticut in 1770; he married Betty Beardsley, by whom he had four children: Irena, John J., Polly and Azubah. Ezra Adams came into Oneida county about the year 1800 and followed surveying; he used to have two white men and two Indians to assist him. He bought a tract of land lying east and west from Ava Corners; the tract was three miles long and 200 rods wide--200 acres--and in the year 1805 he with his family moved and settled about two miles west of where Ava post-office is now. He died in 1823, aged fifty-three, and Betty, his wife, in 1805, aged twenty- nine. He married Lydia Dewey for his second wife, by whom he had seven children: Clarissa, Ezra, Josiah Dewey, Julia L., Ephraim Sherwood, Polly and Walker, who was one year and one day old when his father died. They all lived in Ava or Lee for about fifty years after their father's death. Julia L. (Townsend) is still living and keeping house in her eighty-third year. (p. 131) [Top]

ADSIT, LEONARD E., was born in the town of Steuben, on the farm and in the house where he now lives, in 1842, son of Erastus Adsit, who was born in Columbia county in 1802, one of ten children, born to Stephen Adist of Columbia county. Stephen was a son of one of three brothers who came from England before the Revolutionary war. He was a farmer, and came to Steuben, where he purchased the farm now owned by Leonard E., in 1805. He cleared a good portion of it, and here spent his last days. He participated in the war of 1812. Erastus Adsit spent his life on the homestead, which he purchased of the heirs after his father's demise. He was a Whig, until 1862, when he became a Democrat, and was well known as "Squire Adsit," having been justice for twenty-four years, and always took an active interest in town and county affairs. He married Parmelia, daughter of Daniel Tripp, who was born in Oneida in 1801, and by whom he has four children: Mrs. Alzina Fuller, of Iowa; Mrs. Susan McIntosh (deceased); Stephen W., of Steuben; and Leonard E. Mrs. Adsit died in 1875, and Mr. Adsit in 1886. Leonard E. has spent his life on the homestead to which he has added forty-five acres. His principal occupation is dairying, and he has been auctioneer or the past twenty-five years. He is interested in the bee culture, also a dealer in agricultural implements, and is the owner and agent of the telephone office, known as Adsit Station, which is located on his farm. He has served one term as supervisor, and eight terms on board of equalization, also commissioner of highways and poormaster. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Remsen Lodge; United Friends of Stittville and the Grange Lodge in Holland Patent. In 1866, he married Ellen, daughter of Nicholas Suits, who was a native of Western, N. Y. They have one child by adoption: Mrs. Jesse Bennett. (Page 39) (p. 38) [Top]

AGNE, JACOB JR., was born in Utica, N. Y., March 15, 1859, son of Jacob Agne, who was a native of Rhine, Bavaria, having been born near Zweibruken, within a few miles of the spot where the French attempted to cross the Rhine during the Franco-Prussian war, and Margaret Schlamp, who was born in the province of Darmstaat, near Bingen on the Rhine. Jacob Agne Jr. was educated in the public schools of Utica and studied architecture with William H. Hamilton of that city. He worked with builders for two years, and was then associated with A. I. Simmons, the architect, for three years, perfecting himself in the practical work of his profession. He then established a business for himself and in a few years had attained distinction as an architect, especially in the designing and construction of residences and school buildings. Among the more notable structures designed by him are the Oneida County Home at Rome, the Home for Aged Men, the Martin office building, and the German Music Hall at Utica. Mr. Agne has been chairman of the Excise Board of Utica and in 1894, was appointed a member of the City Civil Service Commission by Mayor Gibson. January 26, 1894, Mr. Agne married Katharine, daughter of Henry Roberts, the hardward merchant of Utica, by whom he has one son, Henry Roberts. Mr. Agne is a Mason, a member of the Royal Arcanum and a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects. (p. 72) [Top]

AGUE, CHARLES, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in December, 1846, and came with his parents to the United States when six months of age, locating in this town where he was educated in the district schools. He has followed the canal for thirty years in connection with farming. April 26, 1880, he married Caroline Sipp. of this town, by whom he had one daughter, Bertha A. Mr. Ague's father, Paul Ague, was born at the old home in Germany, where he was educated. He married Elizabeth Schmidt, of his native place, by whom he had two children: Catherine, now Mrs. Martin Snyder, of New London, N.Y.; and Charles, as above. Paul Ague died in 1848, the result of an accident. For her second husband Mrs. Ague married Jacob Kropp, of the town of Verona, and they had six children: Elizabeth, Salome, Amelia L., Edward J., George M., and William H. Elizabeth married William Reiger, of this town, and they had six children: Martin, Camelia, William, Emil, Edwin and Cora. Salome married Michael Ungerer, of Verona. Amelia died in 1872. Edward J. married Catherine Lanscidel, now of Utica. George married Matilda Borer, of this locality. Mrs. Ague's father, William Sipp, was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and came to the United States when a young man. He married Helen Maherh, of the town of Verona, by whom he had nine children: Caroline, as above, William, Peter, Helen, Amelia, Philipena, John, Lewis and Jacob. Mrs. Sipp died in 1888. Mr. Sipp is a member of the World's Mutual Benefit Association, of Wheeling, W. Va. (p. 337) [Top]

AGUE, PHILIP C., was born at Lawton Bridge, in Verona, April 23, 1854. He was educated in the district schools, and has always followed farming. January 24, 1882, he married Caroline Kline, of Verona, by whom he had three children: Walter K., Mary M., and Oscar G. Mr. Ague's father, Jacob, was born in Bavaria in 1820, was educated there, and came to the United States when a young man, locating in Verona. He married Margaret Roth, formerly of Germany, by whom he had five children: Philip C., Francis, Jacob, Daniel, and Catherine; all of whom are now dead, with the exception of our subject, Philip C. Mr. Ague died in 1885. Mrs. Ague's father, Jacob Kline, was born in Alsace, France, in 1812. He was educated there and came to the United States when nineteen years of age, locating in Verona. He married Margaret Wiedrick, formerly of Germany, by whom he had eleven children, nine of whom grew to maturity: George J., Eva M., Elizabeth, Margaret, Caroline, Amelia, Jacob, Alice, and Sarah. Mr. and Mrs. Ague are members of St. Peter's German Lutheran church, of which he is one of the deacons. The ancestry of the family is German on both sides. (p. 301) [Top]

ALBOT, CHARLES T., was born in Bewdley Forest, Shropshire, England, February 11, 1820, son of Charles and Ann (Marshall) Albot. He was educated at Ushaw College, County Durham, and in 1842 came to America and located in Western, Oneida county, where he purchased a farm of three hundred and sixteen acres. In 1844 he returned to England, and in 1845 imported the thoroughbred stallion, Consternation, which was the sire of many valuable trotters in twelve different States. In 1849 he went to California by the overland route, where he spent three years in mining, and hunting. In 1852 he returned to his farm in Western, where he was engaged in farming up to 1885, when he retired and moved to Delta, where he has since resided, though he still owns a part of the original homestead in Western. He was twice married, first to Margaret Geoghan, and his second wife was Catherine Weiss, by whom he had two sons: George and Charles T., jr. (p. 168) [Top]

ALDRICH, REUBEN M., was born in Hamilton, Madison county, June 15, 1825, son of Zimri and Sarah (Mills) Aldrich. Zimri was born in Cumberland, R. I., in 1791, and died July 17, 1881. He always followed the occupation of farming. Sarah Aldrich was born in Paris, Oneida county, in 1805, and died March 28, 1891. Reuben M. Aldrich was educated in Westmoreland, where he has lived since he was seven years old. He is one of the best known farmers in the township of Westmoreland. Mr. Aldrich married Mary Goodwin, by whom he had one daughter, Libbie, who married George Teal, son of William Teal, of Westmoreland. (p. 267) [Top]

ALDRIDGE, WILLARD C., was born in Whitesboro, Oneida county, February 27, 1859, and is the son of Charles Aldridge, who came here from Horsham, England, about 1850. Charles is a tailor by trade. He was village clerk some fifteen years, town and village collector for several years, and a prominent Odd Fellow. Willard C. was deputy postmaster at Whitesboro for about ten years, and was appointed postmaster under Cleveland's first administration, being the first appointed under Cleveland in Oneida county and the third in the State. After serving four years he resigned and engaged in manufacturing cigars in Utica, where he has since continued. He resides in Whitesboro, where he was for one year town collector, and where he is now serving his second term as excise commissioner. He is active in Democratic politics and has been delegate to local and State conventions and also county committeeman. He is a member of Schuyler Lodge, No. 147, I. 0. 0. F., in which he has held all the chairs, and of which he is now a trustee. He is chairman of the building committee of the Odd Fellows Temple In Utica, and is worshipful master of Utica Lodge, No. 47, F. & A. M., and a member of the Scottish Rite bodies, 32d degree. December 11, 1890, he married Anna M., daughter of Dr. Charles E. Smith, of Whitesboro, and they have one daughter, Theresa. (p. 198) [Top]

ALLANSON, THOMAS B., was born in England, January 21, 1817, and came to the United States with his parents when fourteen years of age. He was educated in the schools of Lee Center and Annsville, after which he engaged in farming for many years, then in the mercantile business in Taberg for twenty years, after which he was agent for the Taberg blast furnace, but at the present time is unable to attend to but little business, owing to ill health. He has been a prominent Democrat in this town, always taking an active part in all campaigns, and was elected to the Assembly when Grover Cleveland was first elected governor. He was also supervisor for twelve years, and held many other minor offices. He married for his first wife, Mary J. Lyman, of Lee Center, by whom he had one daughter, Jessie, and they also have one adopted daughter, Laura. He married for his second wife, Hannah, daughter of William Ward, who emigrated to this country from England in 1844. (p. 166) [Top]

ALLEN, FRED C., was born in Oneida county, N. Y., August 6, 1868, son of Alonzo and Nettie Allen. Alonzo Allen died in 1888. The grandfather, Charles Allen, came from New England. October 12, 1892, Fred C. Allen married Maggie Pugh. He owns a farm of 130 acres in the town of Paris, near Cassville. (p. 77) [Top]

ALLEN, GEORGE H., was born in Cleveland, Ohio, December 29, 1857, son of W. J. and Laura A. (Hoyt) Allen. He was reared on a farm and at the age of seventeen started to learn the trade of furniture finisher. At the end of five years, not seeing all he could desire for a lifework at his trade, he started out as commercial traveler in the interest of the house he worked for as a finisher of furniture, for which concern he traveled three years. At this time connecting himself with some of the leading furniture manufacturers of Grand Rapids, Mich., he continued his road life, covering the entire United States and Canada in the interest of the houses he represented. While so engaged, seeing the need of a really good furniture polish, he formulated one calling it "Cedarine." By advertising it in a small way its merits soon won for it considerable trade. In 1891, Mr. Allen organized the Cedarine Mfg. Co., with a capital stock of $25,000, for the purpose of pushing the sale of Cedarine and gave to this company all of his energies as its secretary, treasurer and general manager. The fact that today Cedarine is recognized as the standard piano and furniture polish in America, being shipped to every State and Territory in the Union and steadily working its way to the front in England, whither Mr. Allen went in 1895, to introduce it, attests to what purpose his efforts have been given in the interests of the company he organized and now serves. In 1884, Mr. Allen married Mary E., daughter of Rev. Dwight Saovel, by whom he has one son, George H., jr. At present, Mr. Allen is a member of the Board of Education and a sewer commissioner. (p. 74) [Top]

ALLEN, HIRAM J., was born in Potsdam, St. Lawrence county, N. Y., November 11, 1831, son of Henry Allen who was a native of Vermont. H. J. Allen was for a number of rears in the employ of the government, and has gained a great knowledge of traveling, and when quite young, was in California, Mexico and many other places of interest. He learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner, which business he followed many years. He was the builder of two of the Hamilton College buildings, also two of the society buildings, and at present conducts the leading plumbing business and hardware store in the village. He is a director in the Mercantile Cooperative Co. of Rome, N. Y., and married Adelaide Clough, of Vermont, by whom he has seven children: Waiter H., Nellie M., Alice D., Edith V., Herbert, Harold and Leslie H. Mr. Allen is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (p. 281) [Top]

ALLISON, WILLIAM E., was born in Illinois, January 9, 1862, son of William and Emeline Allison. William Allison has always been engaged in the commercial business, and he resides in Rome, N.Y. William E. was educated at Clinton Grammar School, after which he engaged in manufacturing, conducting a knitting mill business for five years, then engaged in the grocery business, and later in the electric business, and then organized a knitting mills company in Oriskany. He afterwards sold out and started as a florist, and although he started this business in a small way, he has now a large and constantly increasing business. He raises specialties in plants which he ships to the wholesale trade throughout the entire country. He married Adah, daughter of S.W. Baker, by whom he has one son, Seward W. Allison. Mr. Allison belongs to the Episcopal church, and Mrs. Allison is a member of the Presbyterian church at Oriskany. (p. 325) [Top]

ALLWOOD, JOSEPH S., was born in Hecla, township of Westmoreland, December 28, 1852, son of John and Elizabeth Allwood. John Allwood was born in England and came to Westmoreland in 1850, where he engaged in iron work at first, but soon after went to farming, at which he has always continued. He married Eliza Woodard of Saratoga county by whom he has six children: John S., Laura B., Blanche A., Philip H., Bessie A. and Gertrude M. (p. 191) [Top]

ALSHEIMER, JOHN G., was born June 10, 1855, in Marcy, Oneida county, and is a son of John G. Alsheimer, sr., who was born in Germany, came to America about 1853, and finally died in Utica April 29, 1894, aged sixty  two. He was a farmer and contractor. John G. Alsheimer, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the public schools and the Utica Business College, from which he was graduated. He first engaged in various employments. In 1877 he started a grocery business, which he successfully continued until May, 1896. He is a member of the C.M.B.A., and of St. Joseph's Benevolent Society. In 1877 he married Mary M., daughter of Andrew J. Muringer, of Utica, and they had three children, Mary M., William, and one who died in infancy. (p. 342) [Top]

ALVORD, CLARENCE E., was born in the town of Trenton, N. Y., January 4, 1846, son of Butler and Mary (Ward) Alvord, who settled in Trenton in 1838. He was one of three children: Julian W. (deceased), Clarence E. and Lillian H. (deceased). Butler Alvord was engaged in farming and was active in both educational and church work. Clarence E. married Fannie, a daughter of Daniel and Susan Sheldon, by whom he had two children: Alice L. and Mary S. Alice L. attends the Holland Patent graded school. Mr. Alvord married for his second wife, Alice Brooker, daughter of Charles and Lavina Martin. He engaged in farming in 1877 on the farm where he now resides. He is a member of the K. P. Lodge of Holland Patent. He has a farm of 150 acres. (p. 169) [Top]

AMANN, IGNACE L., was born in Alsace, France (now Germany), February 7, 1850. He was educated there and then came to the United States, landing in New York January 30, 1872, and locating in Verona, where he is engaged in farming. May 15, 1877, he married Josephine A. Schwarz, who came from Philadelphia, Jefferson county, N.Y., when five years of age. They have five children: Louise V., Minnie T., J. Albert, Josephine A., and Leona M. Mr. Amann is a member of the Benevolent Order of the C. M. B. A., No. 60, Rome, N.Y. Anthony Amann, his father, was born at the old home in Alsace. He married Theresa Wind, of that place, by whom he had ten children, of whom the following grew to maturity: Joseph, Antone, Salome, Andrew, Nicholas, Mary and Ignace L. Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Amann are dead. Mrs. Amann's father, Joseph Schwarz, was born in Germany in 1824. He married Balbina Becherer, and came to the United States in 1852, going to Utica first, afterwards to Detroit, Mich., and then to Philadelphia, N.Y. They had twelve children: Sabina (who died at sea), Wilhelmina, William A., Joseph E., Josephine A., John S., Mary M., Francis L., Louisa T., Nettie B., Alvin H., and Emma H. (who died at the age of fifteen). Mr. Schwarz died July 6, 1875. The family is of French and German descent. (p. 149-150) [Top]

AMANN, MAGDALEN--The late Anthony Amann was born in Alsace, France, November 4, 1835, and came to the United States September 25, 1855. He was educated in the schools of his native place, and in the evening schools in Vernon, N. Y. He was a bootmaker by trade in his early life, and afterwards engaged in farming, in which he was very successful. April 14, 1863, he married Magdalene Stoltz, of the town of Vernon, formerly of his native place, who came from Alsace, France with her parents when a year old, by whom he had seven children; John, who died at fourteen years of age; Mary R., who died at seven years of age; Joseph N., who died in infancy; Francis A.; Theresa J.; Magdalene K.; and Mary W. Francis A. married Elizabeth M. Quarty, and they had four children: William J., Frederick D., Mary R., and Louis. Mr. Amann died March 10, 1887. Mrs. Amann's father, John Stoltz, was born in Alsace, France, September 26, 1817. He was educated there and came to the United States when about twenty years of age. After a time he returned to his native place and married Mary E. Stoltz, and returned to the land of his adoption. They had seven children: Magdalene, as above, Rachina, Francis, John, Joseph, Lewis and Lawrence. Mr. Stoltz was a blacksmith by trade, and afterwards a farmer. He died January 13, 1892, and his wife, December 7, 1888. The ancestry of the family is German and French. (p. 58) [Top]

ANDERSON, AUGUST, was born in Helsieberg, Sweden, in 1850, one of seven children born to Andrus and Elsie (Polson) Anderson, Peter, John, Martin, August, Butilda, Petrollie, and Engried. At the age of twenty one years of age he came to the United States, remaining in New York City for six years as boatman on the Hudson River. In 1878, he came to Forestport and settled on his present farm on 300 acres. In 1871, Mr. Anderson married Hannah Louisa, daughter of Peter Lannstrom and Olena (Johnson) Peterson, of Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have three children, John Otto, Ida Caroline, and Jennie May. They are members of the Presbyterian church of Forestport. (p. 4) [Top]

ANKEN, SAMUEL, was born in Switzerland, May 27, 1829, a son of John and Elizabeth (Lenher) Anken. He came to America in 1850, and located at Lee Center, Oneida County, where he was employed by an uncle two years, after which he went to West Leyden, Lewis county, N. Y., where he engaged in business for himself in the manufacture of Swiss cheese, continuing there two years, and also for a period of two years each, engaged in the same business at North Western, Steuben, and Westernville. In 1859, he purchased a farm in Constableville, Lewis county, and engaged in farming for seven years, when he sold out, and in 1866, purchased the farm of 276 acres in the town of Western, where he now resides. He has one of the finest farms in the towns, on which he has made all the improvements in farm buildings, the old ones having burned down October 5, 1878. Mr. Anken still continues in the manufacture of Swiss cheese, and is one of the most successful farmers in Western. He is a member of the German Lutheran church, and in politics is a Democrat. (p. 3) [Top]

ANNIS, ALBERT S., was born in Redfield, Oswego county, N. Y., March 16, 1855, son of Lury and Rebecca Brown Annis, who settled in Oneida county in 1862. Mr. and Mrs. Annis were the parents of nine children: Gardner C., deceased; John M., Volney P., Eleanor, Myron, Henry, Geraldine, Atwell, and Albert S. The latter married Mertie, daughter of John Auchard and a native of North Bay, and they are the parents of three children: Edith, Ola, and Lola. Albert has followed boat building and boating as an occupation. Mr. Annis belongs to Sylvan Beach I. O. O. F. Lodge No. 326, the F. & A. M., No. 440, of Vienna, and at present is master of the Lodge, and has also held the position of junior and senior warden. He was selected supervisor of the town March 3, 1896. (p. 21) [Top]

ARMBRUST, JOHN, was born in Ebenezer, Erie county, N.Y., January 12, 1869, son of John and Charlotte (Landefeld) Armbrust. In 1889 he came to Sauquoit and engaged in the butter and cheese business and is superintendent of the Sauquoit milk station, where they ship from 100 to 125 cans of milk daily, and make 500 pounds of high grade butter each week. In 1892 he married Ada E. Cress. Mr. Armbrust is an enterprising and progressive young business man, and the industry he represents so ably [sic] is an important factor in the business life in this part of the county. (p. 271) [Top]

ARMSTRONG, AMOS P., was born in Kirkland, October 10, 1838, a son of Sylvester and Olive Armstrong, who were born in Vermont and Kirkland, and whose ancestors were from Connecticut. Sylvester Armstrong married Olive, daughter of Levi Munger, of Kirkland, by whom he had seven children: Ellen K., Harriet, Betsey, Sarah, Elvira, Lillie and Amos P. Amos P. Armstrong was educated in Kirkland, and Whitestown Seminary, and taught school up to 1862, when he enlisted in the 117th N. Y. Vols., and served up to the close of the war in 1865. He was assessor of the town from 1880 to 1894, when he was elected supervisor, which office he now fills, He married Kittie, daughter of John and Lydia House, of Clinton village, and who died in 1884. Mr. Armstrong is a member of Hinckley Post No. 227, G. A. R., past master of Clinton Grange No. 370, and also member of the Clinton Lodge No. 196, F. & A. M. (p. 299) [Top]

ARMSTRONG, DAVID, was born in Annsville, Oneida county, March 9, 1838, and is a son of George Armstrong, of whom an account is given elsewhere. David Armstrong is one of the leading farmers of the town, owning a farm of 255 acres. In his younger days he was on the Erie Canal for twenty years. He married Jane Richardson, daughter of William Richardson, of Annsville, by whom he has eight children. Mr. Armstrong is a Democrat in politics, and was assessor of the town for six years. (p. 166) [Top]

ARMSTRONG, GEORGE H., of Armstrong, Baker & Co., of New Hartford, is the son of the late well-known James Armstrong, who was one of the most worthy and prominent citizens of the place. He occupied many positions of trust and honor, one of which being a seat in the State Legislature. The works of Armstrong & Baker were originally established by him in 1864, and have since grown into one of the most important industries of the place, furnishing employment to about seventy people. The present firm was organized in 1871, as the New Hartford Knitting Mill, and their entire output consists of children's wear of all grades, which is handled by commission in New York city.(p. 337) [Top]

ARMSTRONG, WILLIAM C., was born in Annsville, Oneida county, April 11, 1830, one of eleven children of George and Adelia (Walrath) Armstrong. He was educated in this town and is now the owner of a fine farm of 200 acres, dairying being his principal business. He married Sarah Campbell of Annsville, by whom he had six children: George, May, Willie, Alice, Sarah and Kittie. Mr. Armstrong is a Democrat in politics, was supervisor of the town in 1875, and has been assessor six years. (p. 107) [Top]

ARNOLD, CHARLES F., was born at the town of Vernon, N. Y., July 31, 1869. He received a common school and commercial education and has been engaged in a variety of occupations. He was a clerk in the mercantile line for nearly four years, was also in business with his father in New London, under the firm name of C. F. Arnold & Co. until burned out on October 28, 1895. Mr. Arnold is a member of New London Lodge, No. 420 F. & A. M. and is its secretary. W. Henry Arnold, his father, was born at Augusta Centre, Oneida county, N. Y., September 5, 1839. He was educated, in the district schools and was a farmer and merchant. He married twice, first to Mary C. Waterman, of Illinois, by whom he had three children: Eva J., Charles F., and Sarah A. Mrs. Arnold died January 14, 1892. He then married Mrs. Elmira Smith, born Prime. His father, John, was born in Connecticut in 1807 and came to this State when a young man. He married Sarah Francisco, of Augusta, by whom he had five children. He died in 1884 and his wife ten days later. Charles F. Arnold's sister, Eva J., married J. Gordon Burleigh, formerly of Vienna, and they have one child, Mary E. Mr. Burleigh is a member of Warren Lodge, No. 84, I. 0. 0. F., New York city. Mrs. Burleigh is a member of Vesta Chapter, No. 115, 0. E. S., of New London, N. Y. The family is of English and German descent. (p. 203) [Top]

ASHMORE, GEORGE, was born in England May 23, 1821, came to America in 1841, and has since resided in Utica, following the trade of carpenter and builder. He has worked on a large number of the finer buildings and is one of the oldest carpenters in the city. May 23, 1854, he married Hester Kimball, of Utica, and they have five children: Thomas George, John E. (a photo-engraver in Syracuse), Wallace E. (a painter in Syracuse), Mary L. and Nellie E. (p. 233) [Top]

ATWOOD, WILLARD T. was born in the town of Floyd, N. Y., November 4, 1849, son of Sylvester B. and Margaret (Moulton) Atwood. He was one of four children, Windor M., Maggie, Francis and Willard. He married Addie, daughter of Melanoton Raymer, by whom he had tow children, Florence M. and Grace M. (deceased). He started for himself at eighteen years of age, as station agent at Stittville, for the U. & B. R.R., which he followed until 1888. In 1872, he engaged in the produce, coal, and lumber business, and which he continues to the present time. In 1881, he associated with C. W. Hackett, and bought J. S. Maxwell’s interest in the knitting mill, which employs about 100 hands in the manufacture of men’s underwear. He is president and general manager of the Stittville Canning Co., and is a member of the Utica F. & A. M. No. 47, also chapter, council, and shrine of the I. O. O. F. of Trenton, and has held the office of chief counselor in the United States. (p. 4) [Top]

AUSTIN, AI, was born at Lansing, Tompkins county, NY, April 15, 1863, son of Henry Austin, an instructor of penmanship and drawing, whose rare ability for his work commands the admiration of all educators. Ai Austin came to Boonville in 1884 and established a laundry on Main street, which proved a successful enterprise, and in which he is still engaged. He married Nancy E. Hull, by whom he has one son, Glenn. He is a supporter of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he and his wife are attendants. (p. 179) [Top]

AUSTIN, DAVID, was born in the town of Richfield, Oswego county, March 14, 1841, son of John Austin, who was born in Vermont, and came to this State when a boy with his parents, settling in Oswego county. When David Austin was two years of age, his father came to Oneida county, and settled in the town of Paris, from which they moved to Marshall, where they continued to reside. He married Lydia Galop of Oswego county, her father, Daniel Galop, being one of the pioneers from Connecticut. David Austin was educated in the district schools of Marshall, and the academy of this place. He has been a prosperous farmer in the town of Kirkland for about thirty-seven years, owning a farm of eighty-two acres. He married Mary Crane of Madison county, by whom he has three children: Norman J., Elmer C. and Edith. Mr. Austin was elected road commissioner in 1894, on the Republican ticket, for a period of two years. (p. 300) [Top]

AUSTIN, SAMUEL, was born in Poundridge, Westchester county, N.Y., September 9, 1836, son of Henry and Matilda (Avery) Austin, and is of English descent. He was reared in his native county, educated in the common schools, and served an apprenticeship at the wheelwright and machinist trade in Norwalk, Conn. In 1855 he came to Western, where he worked at his trade up to 1864, when he purchased the farm where he now resides, and has since been engaged in farming. In 1858, he married Sarah, daughter of Wolcott and Anna (Teller) Dillenbeck, of Western, by whom he had five children, one of whom survives, Anna A. Mr. Austin is a member of the F. & A.M., and has been commissioner of highways of Western for two years. In politics he is a Democrat. (p. 163) [Top]

AVERY J.B.,--Billious Avery was born in the town of Salisbury, Herkimer county, N. Y., January 1, 1802, and died in Oneida Castle, N.Y., August 11, 1870. March 21, 1824, he married Levina, daughter of Col. Ichabod Bartlett, of Salisbury. She died August 15, 1833, leaving him three sons: Milton B., Morgan L., and Oscar F. Avery. May 13, 1838, he married Melinda Adelaide Norton, daughter of James Norton, of Norway, Herkimer county, N. Y., who died in New York, January 14, 1880. Their children are Emeline L. and James B. Avery. He filled many offices of trust both in his native town and in the town of his adoption. For several years he represented his town as supervisor, and for nearly thirty consecutive years was justice of the peace of the town in which he lived. In 1854 he represented his party as candidate for member of assembly of his district. In 1857 he removed to Oneida Castle, Oneida county, N. Y., where he spent the remainder of his life. In politics he was a staunch Republican from the first foundation of that party. James B. Avery son of Billious Avery, was born in Salisbury, Herkimer county, N. Y., November 19, 1844. At the age of twelve he with his parents removed from Salisbury to Oneida Castle, N. Y., where he with his sister occupies the family homestead. At the age of eleven Mr. Avery began the foundation of his subsequent education in the Experimental School, a training school of the Normal College at Albany, N. Y. He prosecuted his preparatory studies in Oneida and Whitestown Seminaries and entered Hamilton College, Clinton, N. Y., as sophomore in the autumn of 1864, taking his Bachelor degree in 1867 and three years later the degree of Master of Arts. He has served his village acceptably in various capacities, and also the town of Vernon as a justice of the peace. For a number of years he conducted a private classical school at his residence at Oneida Castle, preparing students for various colleges. (p. 253) [Top]

AVERY, JOSEPH S., was born in Fairfield, Herkimer county, August 7, 1826, son of the late Prof. Charles Avery, LL. D., who was born in Munson, Mass., July 29, 1795, and for thirty-four years was professor of chemistry in Hamilton College. Joseph S. Avery was graduated from Hamilton College in 1848: He studied law in the office of the late Hon. O. S. Williams. He was postmaster for three years(1857-9). In 1864 he was elected surrogate of Oneida county, an office which he held for three successive terms, fourteen years in all (1864-78). He was an expert in testamentary law, and administered the responsible duties of the office with unquestioned fidelity and satisfaction. After 1878 and until his death. Mr. Avery had his law office in Utica. In politics he was a strong Democrat up to 1860, when he avowed himself a Lincoln Republican, and continued active and earnest in that party during the rest of his life. On May 8, 1856 he married Jennie M. Wilcox, of Middle Settlement. From this marriage one daughter was born, Isabella, now the wife of Rev. Theodore A. Allen of Mendota, Ill. From this marriage there are four children: Joseph S., Dorothy, Ruth, and George E. Mr. Avery was justice of the peace for several years and president of the village of Clinton for ten years. He was for many years an officer in the Presbyterian church, active in its interests and conspicuous for his charities. He died at Clinton November 14, 1895. (p. 81) [Top]

AYLESWORTH, REV. DAVID W., was born in Odessa, Ontario, Canada, in 1830, and is a Methodist Episcopal clergyman of New Hartford. He is a son of a lay preacher of the Methodist Episcopal church at Odessa, who was highly esteemed as a man of rare intellectual attainments, and a gifted public speaker. He died in 1890. Rev. David W. Aylesworth began his education at Odessa, and studied engineering at Bath and Newburg. In 1856 he entered the ministry, completing his education at Ottawa. In 1868 he came to New York State and entered upon his life work of preaching the gospel. He is also an active worker in the interests of the I. O. G. T., and a fluent speaker. (p. 142-143) [Top]