DAGETT, A.W., was born September 8, 1851, son of George and Emily Daggett. He lived on the farm until seventeen years of age, when he engaged in the railway business, and has been an agent on the D., L. & W. R. R., for twenty-five years, twenty-three of which have been spent in Bridgewater. The firm of Daggett Bros. is composed of A. W. and George H. Daggett, and has been in existence for ten years, and they do an extensive business in coal and mill products. In 1808 he married Carrie Wheeler, by whom he has one daughter, Mildred. Mr. Daggett is one of the most widely known and leading men of Bridgewater, and was elected president of the village in 1894, he being the first president. (p. 123) [Top]

DAGWELL, CHARLES M., was born in Utica, October 7, 1843, and is a son of Herbert Dagwell, a native of England, who came to America when about two years of age, lived in Little Falls and Oswego county with his parents, and while in his 'teens came to Utica, and was married here to Aurelia S. Tallman. He was both a machinist and an iron moulder, and worked for a number of years in the foundries of Hart & Dagwell and Philo S. Curtiss. Charles, the subject of this sketch, at the age of fourteen went out to seek his own self support and worked at farming on Stony Island, Lake Ontario, until the fall of 1860, when he returned and went to work for Hart & Dagwell, as core maker, and on April 24, 1861, when only seventeen, enlisted in Co. B, 14th N. Y. Vols., was mustered into the U. S. service at Albany on May 17; he served in the army two years, and was mustered out at Utica, May 24, 1863, by reason expiration of service. He then entered the employ of the Remington Armory Co , on Franklin street, and in August, 1864, he went to New York and enlisted in the U. S. Navy, serving on the U. S. Gunboat Shawmut until the war closed. He came home and went to work for the Remington Agricultural Co., at Ilion, also the American Express Co. at Utica; was an active member of Hiawatha and Utica Base Ball Clubs, also a member of the Utica Volunteer Fire Department, and in the spring of 1870 was appointed a patrolman on the Utica police force, served until the fall of 1871, resigned and went into the liquor business with George Miller, at 210 Genesee street, sold out in the fall of 1874 and went to Texas, returned six months later, and on June 1, 1875, was appointed a patrolman on the police force; April 5, 1882, was made assistant chief, and July 1, 1889, chief to succeed Robert McElwaine, who died in June of that year. Mr. Dagwell has since held this position with credit and satisfaction. He is a member of Oriental Lodge, No. 224, F. & A.M. and of the Exempt Firemen's Association; was foreman of Engine Co. No.7, Volunteers, and is a charter member of Post McQuade, No.14, G. A. R., of which he was commander for three successive terms. (p. 201-202) [Top]

DALY, WILLIAM FRANCIS, was born in Utica, N. Y., September 22, 1850. He was the son of Michael and Catharine (Campbell) Daly. At the age of twelve years Mr. Daly enlisted in the army as a drummer boy but only went as far as Willett's Point when he was caught and brought back to school. He remained in school two years and in 1864 again made an attempt to join the northern forces at the front. He reached Governor's Island where he was again caught and brought back. He graduated from the Assumption Academy in 1868. He then went west to Dakota and served as scout in the Red Cloud troubles and in several campaigns against the Apaches in Arizona and the Commanches in New Mexico. When the great Mexican leader General Diaz took the field against the then recognized government authorities, Mr. Daly accepted a command under him and served with distinction through the campaign until the surrender of Matamoras. Mr. Daly came north in time to attend the Centennial at Philadelphia. He then returned to Utica and became interested in the sale of beef. Mr. Daly was the leader of the little band that ran the first carload of dressed beef into Utica from Chicago. Though the western beef is now almost universally used in the east, at that time all the meat dealers of Utica refused to buy outside of Utica, and Mr. Daly's project was ruined. In the year 1880 he again went west to Leadville, Col., but returned the following year to accept a position with the American Express Company. Later he was connected with the Star brewery and served some time as a clerk in the post-office. In 1887 Mr. Daly formed a partnership with J. J. Holland under the name Daly & Holland, manufacturers of barber's supplies and toilet articles. The firm also dealt in wall-paper, window shades, pictures and mouldings. In July, 1894, Mr. Holland retired and Mr. Daly conducted the business alone. After his return from the west he married Miss Catherine C. Venn of Utica, in June, 1877, two children blessing the union, Mark A. and Emma V. Daley [sic]. In May, 1881, Mr. Daly was called to mourn his wife's death. On November 19, 1884, he married Katherine Loftus of Constableville, Lewis county, N. Y. Mr. Daly is a genial, whole souled man who is a friend to everybody. It is his special boast that he has trod every foot of ground on the western slope on horseback. (p. 152) [Top]

DAILY, DENNIS L., was born in the town of Annsville, Oneida county, January 23, 1847, and is a son of Cornelius Daily, who was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1804, and died January 26, 1894. Cornelius Daily came to America about 1832, landing in Quebec, Canada. A few months later he became foreman on the construction of the railroad from Boston to Worcester, the first equipped steam railroad in the United Sates, which position he held for about six years. He then came to Rome, N.Y., by stage, and settled on an unbroken farm in the north part of Annsville, where he lived and died. He cleared the farm, which comprised 100 acres, and lived to see the country transformed from a wilderness to a fertile section. He was one of the first settlers of that part of the town, and was active in all local affairs, a Democrat in politics, and especially interested in education, serving as school trustee for many years. He was married in Ireland in 1831 to Margaret Mahoney, who died May 26, 1893, in her eighty-third year. Their children were Mary, deceased, who married Thomas Murphy, who died in the army during the civil war; Katharine Teresa, of Lynn, Mass; Margaret Maria, deceased; B. Amelia, of Utica, who married Lieut. Wallace Mott, who died in the army; Ellen (Mrs. P.T. O'Toole), deceased; Jane of Utica; Dennis L., of Utica; Rose A. (widow of Martin Hinton), of Utica; and George P., who resides on the homestead in Munnsville. Dennis L. Daily was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools of Annsville. He remained on the homestead until 1877, when he entered the employ of the Singer Sewing Machine Company. In the fall of 1880 he came to Utica an din 1885 established his present grocery business in Sunset avenue. In Annsville he took an active part in local politics and served two terms as town collector and one term as assessor. In Utica he has also taken an active interest in local political affairs. June 7, 1882, he married Katharine M. Sullivan, of Utica, and they have six children: Cornelius Sullivan, Margaret Maria, Ellen Jane, Katharine Teresa, Mary Loretta, and George Vincent. (p. 376) [Top]

DANA, GEORGE W., was born in the town of Camden, October 20, 1863. His father, Walter H. Dana, was born at South Trenton, and was by occupation a painter. He married Delight Wakefield. by whom he had ten children. George W. was reared on a farm, in which business he spent his early days, and was educated in the common schools. For about ten years he has been a member of the firm of Gardner & Dana, manufacturers of sash, doors and blinds, they being among the leading firms in this line in Camden. He married Lillie D., daughter of William Curtis, of Camden. Mr. Dana is a prominent member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics is a Democrat. (p. 176) [Top]

DAPSON, THOMAS, was born in Kent, England, April 25, 1831. He was educated there, and is a farmer by occupation. October 21, 1855, he married Sophia Braizer and came to the United States October 24, 1855, and located in Augusta, Oneida county. Mrs. Dapson died in 1859, and for his second wife Mr. Dapson married Harriet Pankhurst, of his native country, by whom he had seven children: Emma C., Hattie J., Winnifred E., John T., Frank E., George W., and Fred A. The family resided in the town of Vernon ten years, and in the town of Verona since 1874. Mr. Dapson's father, Thomas Dapson, sr., was born at the old home in England in 1808. He was a farmer by occupation, and married Jane Mercer, of his native country, by whom he had eight children who grew to maturity; Mary A., Jane, Thomas, Harriet, William, Sarah, Alfred and Eliza. Mr. Dapson died in 1883; his wife died in England. Mrs. Dapson's father, William Pankhurst, was born in Kent, England, in 1815. He married Charlotte Law, of his native place, and they had five children: Ann M., Harriet, Jane, Elizabeth, and George. Mr. Dapson is a member of Vernon Grange, No. 638, of Vernon, N.Y. (p. 145-146) [Top]

DARROW, DAVID E.,--David Darrow, grandfather of David E., was born in New Lebanon, Columbia county, N. Y., in 1772, and received the principles of a thorough New England training, which prepared him for a vigorous and self-reliant manhood requisite for the pioneer. In 1808, having married, he removed to West Eaten, N. Y., where for his pure principles and upright character he won the respect of his fellow citizens to such an extent that his counsel and co-operation were deemed essential to the success of any enterprise. His father was a Revolutionary soldier. David Darrow was for several years a justice of the peace in West Eaton. He married Elizabeth Enos and had five sons and four daughters, of whom Joseph E. was next to the oldest. Joseph E. Darrow. born in 1808, inherited in a large degree the sterling qualities of his father and he became a representative business man of sound judgment and firm integrity, whose council and advice were highly prized and often sought by his fellowmen. He died in Utica February 13, 1893. Of him it was truthfully said he lived a spotless life of eighty-five years, an honest man, a true Christian. He was school inspector for several years and a captain in the old State militia. He married Phoebe, daughter of David Wellington, a very early settler of Nelson, Madison county, longa [sic] justice of the peace, and the father of a successful family of four sons and four daughters. Joseph E. Darrow had four children: A. Elizabeth, who died in 1848; David E., of Utica; Attie, wife of George S. Tillinghast, treasurer of Madison county; and Phoebe A., deceased. His son, David E. Darrow, was born in Eaton June 2, 1836, was educated in common school and at Cazenovia Seminary, and in 1859 was united in marriage with Louesa C. Wright of Syracuse, N. Y. He evinced in early life a fondness for business and commercial pursuits, which he successfully followed until 1885, when he became interested with prominent men in the development of real estate in Brooklyn, N. Y., Washington, D. C., and in the Southern States. He became associated with men of national reputation, among whom were General John B. Gordon, of Georgia; General Rosecrans, of Washington, D. C., Hon. John J. Knox, of New York, and others. In 1891 he became associated with Hon. Francis Kernan, Hon. John D. Kernan, N. E. Kernan and William Kernan, and others of the same family (all of Utica), in the management of their large holdings of real estate. Under his successful management East Utica has largely developed, as evidenced by the rapid growth and improvement in that section of the city since 1891. He is manager of the East Side Park Improvement Company. Mr. Darrow has two daughters: Mrs. A. H. Williams of Utica, N. Y., and Florence A., wife of Eugene F. Pugh, of the Utica Daily Press, both graduates of Cazenovia Seminary. (p. 185) [Top]

DARROW, NICHOLAS N., was born in the town of Schuyler, Herkimer county, N.Y., June 12, 1825. He was educated in the schools of that early day, and has had a variety of occupations, farming, and has also followed the canal several years. He served in the United States Navy three and a half years, on the flag ship Independence in the Miditerranean [sic] Sea. March 13, 1855, he married Margaret Raunt, of the town of Vienna, by whom he had one daughter, Mary A., who died at twenty-two years of age. Mr. Darrow has served as assessor several years, and is a member of New London Lodge, No. 20, F. & A.M., in which he holds the office of junior deacon. Mr. Darrow's father, Nicholas N. Darrow, was born in Schenectady county, N.Y. He married Mary Akin, of his native place, by whom he had six children. Our subject is the oldest living member of the family. Mr. Darrow, sr., was in the "patriot war" in Canada, was tried, and never heard of again. His mother, Mrs. Mary Darrow, died in 1845. Mr. Darrow's grandfather, Daniel Darrow, served under Washington, in the Revolutionary war. The family on both sides are of New England stock, of English and German origin. (p. 335-336) [Top]

DAVIDSON, JOHN, was born in Grayabby, county of Down, Ireland, December 16, 1824. His parents were both natives of Ireland, and grandfather and grandmother on his father's side were from Ayrshire. Scotland. His grandfather, on his mother's side, was Scotch and grandmother English, He came to America with his parents in the year 1833 and shipped from Belfast to New York, being six weeks and three days on the sea, on the vessel " Herald of Newcastle." They resided in New York city two years, after which they moved to Lansingburg, where they also lived two years. They then hired a small farm, three miles west of Albany, where they lived about twenty years, following the occupation of farming and vegetable gardening. Previous to moving to Oneida county the father had purchased the farm on which they lived, but later sold out and was employed by John Townsend of Albany, as foreman and vegetable gardener. Two years later they moved to John Davidson's present home, then a wilderness. On May 16, 1855, the father and son shouldered their axes, and commenced clearing for a house where the father died. March 13. 1865, at the age of sixty-nine years, and the mother died December 22, 1877, at the age of eighty-six years. John Davidson was married in Albany, December 30, 1847, by the Rev. Samuel F. Moran, pastor of the Scotch Presbyterian church, of which he and his wife were both members. They have eight sons living: John, an engineer on the New York Central railroad; William, a farmer and carpenter of Oneida county; David, a carpenter on the Bennington railroad; George, a farmer and carpenter in Oneida county; Samuel, a farmer in Onondaga county; and Robert and James, both farmers in Oneida county; also Henry, a carpenter and care taker of Comb's Brook fish hatchery in Herkimer county. One daughter, Mrs. Edward Scanlin, died at the age of thirty six years. Mr. Davidson has been assessor for a number of years, also school trustee, road overseer and has had charge of the State reservoirs at Woodhull and Sand Lake. (p. 207) [Top]

DAVIES, ARTHUR H., is a son of David J.H. and Sarah A. Davies, natives of England, who came to Utica in 1873. In 1883 David established a steam laundry on Columbia street and conducted it until 1888, when his wife and son, Arthur H., assumed the management. (p. 343) [Top]

DAVIES, JOHN S., was born in Wales, England, March 25, 1851, learned the merchant tailor's trade in London with the noted firm of Squires & Son in Saville Row, and came to America and settled in Utica in May, 1874. He followed his trade here until 1880, when he established his present merchant tailoring business. He is a member of Oriental Lodge, No. 224, F. & A. M., Utica Commandery, No. 3, K. T., and the Mystic Shrine. He has been a member of the choir of Westminster church for several years. (p. 354) [Top]

DAVIES, MORRIS J., M.D., was born in Plainfield, Otsego county, January 18, 1865, being a son of David and Margaret (Richards) Davies, who in 1879, moved with their family to Paris, Oneida county, whence they removed in 1887 to Waterville, Oneida county, where they still reside. Mr. Davies was educated in the public schools of Plainfield and Cassville and at West Winfield Academy, and was graduated from Utica Business College in 1886. At the age of seventeen he began teaching school and he taught for five years to defray the expenses of his education. In the fall of 1886 he began the study of medicine with Dr. A. A. Moors, of West Winfield, N. Y., and later studied under Dr. T. Z. Jones, of Waterville. He was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons (medical department of Columbia College) New York city, June 11, 1890, and on August 1 of that year commenced the practice of his profession in Utica. Dr. Davies is a member of the Oneida County Medical Society, and of the Utica Medical Library Association, and a charter member of the Utica Medical Club, of which he was secretary and treasurer from 1893 to 1895 and president from March, 1895, to March, 1896. Is a member of the staff of physicians to Faxton Hospital. He is a member and past chancellor of Samuel Read Lodge No. 378, K. P., a member of Utica City Division No. 4, Uniform Rank, K.P., and surgeon on the colonel's staff (2d Regiment) with rank of major. He is also a member of Imperial Council No. 70, R. A., and a member and court physician of Court Fort Schuyler No. 1510. I. O. of F. October 27, 1891, he married Mina M., daughter of William H. Parkhurst, of West Winfield, and they have two children: Margaret Louise and Stanley Parkhurst. (p. 221) [Top]

DAVIES, R. M., was born in Wales in 1827, son of John R. Davies, who came from Wales when R. M. Davies was five years old and settled in Utica where he always resided. Mr. Davies acquired an education by his own efforts and first engaged in farming; but in 1843 was employed in a factory at Oriskany where he remained seven years. In 1850 he married Jane Purdy, by whom he had four children: Ella, Henry, Margaret, and George W., who died at eleven years of age. He spent three years in California and New Mexico, mining and railroading. Mr. Davies has been identified with the Republican party from the time of its organization, and was supervisor in 1882. (p. 258) [Top]

DAVIS, CHARLES P., was born in Alcester, England, in 1823, learned the trade of glass staining in Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire, and came to America in 1850, settling in Utica, where he spent the remainder of his life and died April 17, 1877. Here he established the stain glass works now conducted by the firm of Charles P. Davis's Sons. He was the first stained glass worker in the city and one of the earliest establishments of the kind west of New York. Being a practical workman, a skillful and artistic designer, he was successful from the start and won a wide and enduring reputation. His first work in Utica was executed on Trinity church. Afterward he designed the windows of many of the finest churches east of the Mississippi, particularly those of this State, and also executed large contracts on numerous important buildings. He was a good nauralist [sic] and an expert taxidermist, for both of which he had a natural inclination, and at his death he left a fine and valuable collection of birds, insects, etc. He was an active and prominent Democrat, but never sought or held public office. He was one of the original members of St. George's church. He married in England, Mary Callaway, who died in 1864, leaving children: Joseph P., William A., Frederick J., and Charles C. Davis, Mrs. William H. Trembly and Mrs. A.H. Richardson and Albert Davis (both deceased). Upon Mr. Davis's death the stained glass business passed to his sons Joseph P., William A., Frederick J., and Charles C., who formed the present firm of Charles P. Davis's Sons. Later Joseph P. and Charles C. withdrew, leaving the business to the management of the other two brothers. Frederick J. Davis follows his father as naturalist and taxidermist and carries on these professions in connection with the firm's stained glass business. (p. 368) [Top]

DAVIS, EUGENE, born in Frankfort, Herkimer county, June 18, 1850, is a son of David W. Davis, a shoemaker, who had previously followed trade in Utica for a time. David W. married Lydia Stevens, a native of Herkimer county, who is living in Richfield Springs aged eighty-six. Her father was a soldier in the war of 1812. Their children were Charles S., of Utica; Harriet (Mrs. Chauncey Johnson), of Yonkers, N. Y.; Hiel, of Utica; Susan (Mrs. James Castler), of Richfield Springs; and Eugene, of Utica. Eugene Davis was educated in the Frankfort public schools and first engaged in various business occupations, principally in the carting and livery business and hotel keeping in Lexington, Ky., for several years. In 1881 he came to Utica and engaged in carting, and in 1888 purchased his present livery and sales stable of John Butterfield. He then combined the livery business and carting on an extensive scale and also extended the boarding and sales stable enterprise. He is a member of Oriental Lodge, F. & A. M., Oneida Chapter, R. A. M., Utica Commandery, K. T., the Scottish Rite bodies, 320, Fort Schuyler Council, R. A., and Fort Schuyler Club. In February, 1882, he married Nellie McKennan, of Utica and they have four children: Chauncey W., Lillian, George A., and Bessie. (p. 257) [Top]

DAVIS, EVAN J., was born in Madison county, November 1, 1844, son of Daniel M. and Mary (Jones) Davis. The family came originally from North Wales in 1840. He learned the trade of carpenter, and subsequently engaged in farming. He is one of the progressive men of Marshall, and has been assessor of the town and commissioner of highways, and has also been a member of the Republican county committee for eight years. In 1865 Mr. Davis married Phoebe Austin, by whom he has two children: Ellis J., married to Minnie Stafford, and Ruth Edna Davis. (p. 355-356) [Top]

DAVIS, GEORGE, was born in West Turin, Lewis county, N.Y., July 23, 1828, and came with his parents to this town when thirteen years of age. He was educated in the common schools, and afterwards engaged in farming which he followed until he retired. December 27, 1857, he married Lavina A. Swan, of Lenox, Madison county. Mr. Davis's father, Jonathan Davis, was born in New Jersey in 1798. He was educated there, and was also a farmer. In 1822 he came to this State and located in Lewis county. He married Mary M. Allen of West Turin, by whom he had two children: George, as above, and Ann S., now Mrs. Bowers of Whitesboro. Mr. Davis died February 23, 1876, and his wife January 17, 1888. Mrs. Davis was the sixth in descent from Samuel Allen of England. Her father, Ebenezer Allen, was born in Connecticut in 1769, and came with an ox team and cart in company with James Allen, in 1796, through the Mohawk Valley to Utica, which city then only nineteen log houses. Mrs. Davis's sister, Lavina, married William Guest, of New London, and resides on the Davis homestead with Mr. and Mrs. Davis. Mr, Guest is a member of the Masonic lodge of Canastota, No. 331, F. & A. M. Mr. Davis's grandfather, Samuel Davis, was born in Kentucky in 1768. He married Mary, daughter of Governor Gordon of that State. Mrs. George Davis's father, Alonzo Swan, was born in Stephentown, Rensselaer county, N. Y., June 4, 1803. He married Phoebe Earl, by whom he had eight children, two of whom died in infancy: Alonzo E., Emily B., Mortimer R., Martha E., Lavina A., as above, and John A. Both father and mother are dead. The ancestry of the family is Welsh and Scotch. (p. 360) [Top]

DAVIS, GEORGE A., son of Charles S., was born in Utica December 4, 1857. Charles S. Davis, son of David, was born in the town of Frankfort, Herkimer county, July 1, 1829, married Polly Brockway, a native of New Hartford, Oneida county, and came to Utica about 1856, where he still resides. He was for many years the proprietor of a livery stable and a large trucking business. When seventeen George A. Davis engaged in the manufacture of picture frames and spring beds with F.P. Baldwin but one year later associated himself with his father in the trucking business, in which he continued for and one-half years. He subsequently formed a copartnership with William N. Weaver, purchased his father's business, and still continues it under the firm name of Davis & Weaver. In March, 1889, Mr. Davis also became proprietor of the Clinton House in Bleecker street and conducted it for six years, changing its name in 1894 to New American. He was also proprietor of the Metropolitan Hotel for three years, and as a landlord in each of these hosteleries attained unusual success. In August, 1894, he formed a partnership with Charles Kilkinney, as Kilkinney & Davis, and purchased the old Wilsey brick yard and manufactory at Deerfield, opposite the New York Central freight depot. They refitted it, adding the most improved machinery, etc., and now manufacture about 5,000,000 brick annually. Mr. Davis is a member of Oriental Lodge, No. 224, F. & A.M., Imperial Council R.A., and the Arcanum Club, and in politics is a staunch Republican. November 1, 1884, he married Mary Morgan, of Oneida, N.Y., who died September 25, 1893. He married, second, October 10, 1894, Miss Florence Bliskey, of Oneida, N.Y. (p. 369) [Top]

DAVIS, I. E., was born in Fulton county, February 22, 1852, son of Jacob B. and Sarah Davis, and learned the trade of joiner with his father, subsequently perfecting himself at Rockwood. In 1867 he came to Holman City with his father, who started the business, now conducted by I. E. Davis. Mr. Davis has a thoroughly equipped factory for doing all kinds of wood work, such as sawing, planing, scroll sawing, turning, etc. He also makes cisterns, tubs, and tanks, for which he has a good reputation for best work, and also owns a cider mill. In 1879 he married Miss Ida Hopkins, of Waterville, daughter of Thomas Hopkins (a descendant of Stephen Hopkins). He has two sons, Thomas and Raymond. He is a member of the Odd Fellow Lodge No. 108, at Sauquoit, of which he is secretary. Mr. Davis's family is a branch of the family of which Jeff. Davis was a scion. (P. 237-238) [Top]

DAVIS, JOHN J., was born in the town of Florence, October 4, 1859, son of Thomas Davis, who was born in England, and came to the United States when twenty-one years of age, first settling on Florence Hill, where he engaged in farming, which business he followed until his death, which occurred in 1872. He married Mary Hodson, of England, by whom he had ten children. John J. was educated in the district schools of Florence after which he engaged in farming, and now owns 107 acres of land, mostly improved. He married Dora, daughter of Wilbert Upson, of Camden, by whom he had one child, Frances Louisa, deceased. Mr. Davis is a member of Camden Grange, and in politics is a Democrat. (p. 107) [Top]

DAVIS, JOHN L,, was born in Deerfield, N. Y., July 11, 1853, son of David and Mary (Thomas) Davis, natives of Wales. His grandparents, Enoch, and Sarah (Owens) Davis, lived and died in Wales, and his maternal grandparents, John and Elizabeth Thomas, came from Wales to Newport, N. Y., in 1841, where Mr. Thomas was engaged in farming and also as carpenter. David Davis came to America in 1850, and worked in Utica four years, then went to Schuyler where he remained eight years. In 1862 he settled in Deerfield where he has since been engaged in farming and dairying, owning 128 acres of land. J. L. Davis was educated at Whitestown Seminary, and commencing at nineteen years of age, taught school for six years. He afterward engaged in farming and market gardening. In 1883 he bought a farm of fifty-three acres in Deerfield, where he has since resided and done general farming, also market gardening. He is agent for the Osborn Harvesting machinery and all kinds of farming implements. In 1877 he married Sarah C., daughter of Nathan and Mary Griffith of West Schuyler, by whom he has two sons: Lindsley D. born in 1878; and Arthur N., born in 1889, both educated in the Utica schools. Mr. Davis is a Republican, and has been highway commissioner and collector. (p. 215) [Top]

DAVIS, PRATT M., was born in Deerfield, N. Y., December 8, 1849, oldest son of John H. and Ellen M. (Smith) David, natives of Deerfield. The grandparents, Rowland and Margaret (Roberts) Davis, were natives of Wales, and came to America about 1817, settling near Deerfield Corners. Mr. Davis died in 1853, and Mrs. Davis in 1846. The great-grandfather of Pratt M., Jonathan Davis, was a miller and conducted a large grist mill in Wales. In early life, John H. Davis was engaged in general mercantile business at Deerfield. This he gave up and engaged in farming until his death in September, 1885, at the age of sixty-four years. Mrs. Davis is still living and resides on the farm. Pratt M. was reared on the farm, and has always been engaged in farming. He conducts the home farm of 110 acres, and also has fifty acres of his own on which he resides. December 3, 1890, he married Mary A., daughter of Charles S. and Mary (Jones) Balcom of Redfield, Oswego county, by whom he has three children: Ella L., born Marcy 10, 1892; Charles R., born September 28, 1893, and Alta Mary, born April 4, 1895. (p. 56) [Top]

DAY, HORACE E., was born at West Schuyler, Herkimer county. N.Y., August 21, 1846, son of Horace H. Day, and was educated in the public schools and Utica Free Academy. He has been identified with the Utica Opera House in various capacities since about 1866, when he was placed in charge of the box office. In 1892 he became lessee and manager of this play house, and has conducted its affairs successfully, being well sustained by the theatrical public of the city of Utica. Mr. Day married Kittie M. McKinney, of Utica, and they are the parents of six children. (p. 144) [Top]

DAY, JULIUS, was born in Deansboro, N. Y., May 3, 1841, son of Adonijah, a native of Burlington Flats, Otsego county, and Sophia (Titus) Day, a daughter of Billy Titus. His grandfather, Adonijah, was a native of Connecticut. Julius Day was for some time engaged in the produce business, but lately has given all of his attention to farming. He was supervisor of the town of Marshall from 1879 to 1884, and again in 1886, making six years in all. He also held the position of town clerk, before being supervisor. In 1877 he married Mary, daughter of Thomas P. and Mary Ann Young, by whom he has three children: Walter Julius, Nellie and Hattie. Mr. Day is one of the most highly respected men in Marshall, and is regarded as a leading man in many ways. (p. 112) [Top]

DAYTON, CLINTON L., was born on the farm and in the house he now resides in 1850. Jonah Dayton, his great-grandfather, came from Connecticut and settled in Deerfield, thence to Remsen, where he built a log cabin and cleared the timber from off the land. Solomon Dayton, his grandfather, was born in 1785, and spent nearly all his life in Remsen on the homestead. He married Fannie Smith. of Vermont, by whom he had four children; Horace, Almira, Sally, and Abbie. He died in May, 1865, and his wife in February, 1869. Horace Dayton, father of Clinton L., was born in 1813, and spent his whole life on the homestead, where he engaged in farming. He married Mehitable H. Wolcott, by whom he had two children: Clinton, and Mrs. Abbie Williams, of Remsen. He died in 1887, and his wife in 1873. Clinton L. Dayton has spent his life thus far on the homestead, which he took charge of in 1881, and has since successfully operated it, dairying being his principal business, having a dairy of twenty cows. In 1880 he married Anna J. Stone, of Lewis county, daughter of Duncan and Abigail (Boulier) Stone. (p. 183) [Top]

DEECKE, THEODORE, was born in the " Free City of Luebeck " in North Germany, October 1, 1836, was educated at the Gymnasium or High classical school of that city; later in the " Free City of Bremen," and finally at the University of Berlin from 1854 to 1858. In the latter institution "in the philosophic and medical faculty" pursued mathematics, natural history, physics, comparative anatomy of the vegetable and animal kingdoms, physiology, chemistry, and took special courses in general medicine, pharmacognosy, medical diagnosis and pathological anatomy, physiology and chemistry. He at the time published essays on anatomy and embryology, 1854-60 of the Acta of the "Halle Society of Naturalists," in the "Halle Botanical Botanical Gazette," the "Acta of the Royal Academy of Sciences " in Berlin, some of which were translated and published in the "British Philosophical Magazine," in the French "Annales des Sciences," etc., besides numerous more or less popular papers in various periodicals. While in New York city from 1866 to 1873 among other publications he composed in 1871-71 the German edition of "Appleton's Illustrated New York." In 1873 he was called to Utica, N. Y., and on the 1st of April appointed special pathologist to the N. Y. State Lunatic Asylum, then under the superintendency of Dr. john P. Gray. He was associate editor of the "American Journal of Insanity," published at that institution, in the pages of which he laid down the results of most of his scientific researches, and also reviews from German, French, Italian and Spanish professional literature. He remained in that position for about seventeen years. He was frequently called upon to serve as expert in coroner's and court cases for the people. Among these latter were about two dozen of capital cases in the central counties of the State, of which five occurred in the county of Oneida. He is at present engaged privately, in medical, chemical and technological examinations and analyses and in literary work. In 1890 at the 25th Anniversary of the German "Utica Mannerchor" he was elected chief editor of the "Festzeitung" a paper then published in eight numbers in honor of the event. Besides the editorials and other articles, he published in that paper for the benefit of our German citizens and their guests a "History and Description of the City of Utica." His wife, Mrs. Anna Deecke, was the first who, in 1885, established a "Froebel Kindergarten " in Utica which, as a private institution, still exists and flourishes. (p. 195-196) [Top]

DEELEY, DAVID, was born in Durhamville, April 13, 1866, son of Thomas and Fannie Deeley, who came to Durhamville in 1859. Mr. and Mrs. Deeley's children were: Ellen, James, George, Jesse, Mary, Thomas, Lesse, William, David, John, Charles, and Eugene, eight of whom were born in Oneida county. Thomas was a glass manufacturer in Durhamville until 1874, since which time he has been engaged in farming. Jesse married Ameretta Hanney, now deceased. He afterward married Lucy Canfield by whom he has two children: Harry and Winnie. (p. 173) [Top]

DELESTER, JOHN, was born in France, October 25, 1829, son of Peter and Mary (Lemut) Delester, natives of France, who came to Utica in 1832. Mr. Peter Delester was a blacksmith by trade, and was in the war under Napoleon at the battle of Waterloo. He married at the age of forty, and reared nine children; and he died in Utica at ninety-five years of age. John Delester came to America with his parents, and in 1855 married Elizabeth, daughter of Charles Smallinberge, a native of Germany, and an early settler in Marcy. Mr. Delester was engaged in farming in Marcy and in 1871 engaged in the manufacture of the extract of witch hazel in connection with his farm work. In 1892 he retired from his farm work and came to Deerfield Corners, and is still engaged in the extract business. (p. 254) [Top]

DEMPSEY, J. L., was born in Ireland, April 29, 1848, and came to this country with his parents, John and Catherine (Lyons) Dempsey, when only three months old. He was reared on the farm in Clinton, where he has resided as a respected citizen and business man for years. He was largely instrumental in the organization of the Union school and academy, and was a member of the first Hoard of Education. He was elected member from the second assembly district of Oneida county in 1889, and was re-elected in 1891. He married Kate Blake, daughter of Michael Blake of Kirk land, by whom he has seven children: John A., Francis M., Joseph W., Elizabeth M., Katie, Rose and James L. (p. 297) [Top]

DEMPSEY, HON. JAMES L., son of John and Catharine (Lyons) Dempsey, was born April 29, 1848, in Dublin, Ireland, and came to America with his parents the same year, settling first in New York city. In 1849 the family came to Utica and in 1853 moved thence to a farm in Westmoreland. In 1856 they settled in Kirkland, Oneida county, where his parents still live. John Dempsey is a farmer and mason by occupation. He had eight children, all of whom are living: James L., Terrence J., Thomas E., all of Clinton; John J. of the town of Kirkland; William, of Clinton; Mary J. (Mrs. John R. Tierney), of Lairdsville, Oneida county; Anna (Mrs. John Nichols), of Utica; and Nellie (Mrs. Michael Dolan), of Albany, N.Y. James L. Dempsey was educated in the public schools of Kirkland, learned the trade of mason and builder, and for a time carried on a successful contracting business. In 1870 he became proprietor of a hotel in Clinton, his partner being Peter Blake, his brother-in-law, continuing seven years. In 1869 he commenced dealing in hops and farm produce, and has ever since continued in that business with unusual success. He has been an extensive operator in this connection, buying, handling, and shipping large quantities of hops, etc. In 1886 he was one of the organizers and first directors of the Clinton Burial Case Company, since removed to Utica. He was the prime mover and mainly instrumental in securing the location of the Clinton Canning Company in the village of Clinton, the leading manufacturing industry there. Mr. Dempsey has always taken a deep interest in the welfare and prosperity of the village of Clinton, contributing liberally of both time and means toward every worthy enterprise, and encouraging all movements promising general benefit. Public spirited, progressive, and energetic he is prominently identified with the town, and is active in furthering its moral and material interests. He is a staunch Democrat, and has been for several years an influential member of that party. In 1890 and 1891 he represented his district in the State Legislature, where, as the records show, he looked carefully after the interests of his constituents, and especially after the welfare of the farming and laboring classes. As member of assembly he was instrumental in starting the movements which resulted in the selling of the old county farm and poor house at Rome for $209,000, which gave to the county the present county house and poor farm and also the Rome State Custodial Asylum, two institutions of permanent local as well as general value. He has been a trustee and one of the water commissioners of the village of Clinton since the spring of 1893. He was also a member of the first sewer commission, and as such was instrumental in introducing the present sewerage system, resigning to become village trustee. In all matters of local improvement he has taken a conspicuous part, and has labored assiduously for the benefit of the place. May 19, 1870, he married Catharine, daughter of Michael Blake, of the town of Kirkland, and they have had eight children: John A., Francis M., Joseph W., Elizabeth Maria, James L., jr., Kate, Robert (deceased), and Rose. (p. 304) [Top]

DEMPSEY, THOMAS E., was born at College Hill, in the town of Kirkland, July 14, 1857, son of John Dempsey, who was born in Ireland, and came to the United States in 1848, settling in Utica, where he followed his trade as mason; later he engaged in farming on College Hill. He now lives retired in Clinton village. He married Catharine Lyons, of Ireland, by whom he had eight children. Thomas E. Dempsey was educated in the old Liberal Institute at Clinton. He taught in the village schools for about three years, and in 1881 he engaged in the buying of hops, which business he still follows. He was one of the first members of the school board which organized the Union School and Academy and erected one of the finest school buildings in the State He was one of the organizers of the Clinton Burial Case Company, and was its secretary and treasurer for about three years, but resigned upon the transfer to Utica. (p. 268) [Top]

DENTON, ALONZO, was born in Sandyhill, Washington county, in 1843, son of Daniel C. Denton, a native of Saratoga county and one of five children born to --- Denton, a soldier in the War of 1812: Richard, Daniel C., Clinton, Benjamin, and Phoebe. Daniel C. Denton spent most of his life in the lumbering business, principally in Washington and Oneida counties. He removed to Oneida county in 1854. He married Harriet Hovey, and their children were Melissa and Alonzo (twins), Charles, Mary E., William E., and Walter, of whom the latter two are deceased. Mr. Denton died in 1864 and his wife in 1889. In August 1862, Alonzo Denton assisted in raising Company K., 117th. Regiment NY Vols. and went out as a private under Captain Baggs. He was promoted to first lieutenant; was in the battles of Bethel, Bermuda, Drury's Bluff, Charleston, SC, Petersburg, Cold Harbor, Fort Fisher, and Chapin's Farm, where he was wounded in the leg. He was transferred to Chesapeake Hospital at Fortress Monroe and from there returned home. After the war he attended business college at Utica for six months, then engaged as clerk in a general store at Forestport. Two years later, in partnership with Mr. Thurston, he engaged in the general mercantile business, and two years and a half later his brother-in-law, N. G. Waterbury, purchased the interest of Mr. Thurston and the store is now carried on under the firm name of Denton & Waterbury. They also carry on a large and extensive lumber business, which Mr. Denton superintends. They erected a large mill, which was burned in 1882, and then erected their present mill of a capacity of 40,000 feet daily, and a large sash and door manufactory at Whitesboro, NY. They also own 10,000 acres of timber land. Mr. Denton has served as commissioner of highways, town clerk, and was postmaster for many years. He is senior warden of the Masonic fraternity and is a member of the Henry Walker Post GAR of Forestport. In 1869 Mr. Denton married Carrie A., daughter of Stephen N. Waterbury, and their children are Elmer A., a graduate of Cornell University, now of the law firm of Halliday & Denton, of Ithaca, NY; Lena R., a graduate of the musical department of Hamilton Seminary; C. Mildred, now a student in the Sage College of Ithaca, NY; and Nathaniel W. Mr. Denton and his wife and children are members of the Presbyterian church. (p. 9-10) [Top]

DE VOTIE, DUANE D., is a son of Peter E. De Votie, who was born in Vernon Center in 1807, but lived the greater part of his time on the Seneca road in the town of Vernon. His ancestors came to this country from France in 1743, and the father of Peter E. settled in Vernon Center in 1801, where he followed farming and speculating. He married Maria P. Mandeville, who was born March 6, 1839, and is now living on the old homestead. Duane D. is one of a family of eight children, and received his education at Vernon, after which he remained on the farm until 1876, when he traveled through the Western States, spending nearly five years mostly in the employ of the government. In the latter part of 1880 he returned home, and has since had complete charge of the farm. He has devoted much time to politics, and is a Democrat and closely identified with the interest of the party. (p. 237) [Top]

DEWEY, CHARLES M., was born in Deerfield, N. Y., June 17, 1833, son of Selotus and Mehitable (Roberts) Dewey, natives of Connecticut, who were among the first settlers in Deerfield. They took 450 acres of land and cleared a large farm. Mr. Dewey died January 31, 1844, aged fifty-eight years, and Mrs. Dewey died November 30, 1855, aged sixty-three years. Charles M. has always been engaged in farming in Deerfield, and settled on the farm of 220 acres in 1866. In 1859 he married Jane, daughter of Jacob and Abigail (Cute) Rudd, of Marcy, by whom he had four children: Zettie J., wife of John C. Davis, a farmer in Deerfield; Aldis M , who died at the age of twenty-nine years; Cora E., wife of William R. Harvey, a cheesemaker in Saint Mary's, Elk county, Pa,: and Ida M., wife of Frank Donnafield of Deerfield. Mr. Dewey is a Republican, and has been assessor and road commissioner. They attend the Presbyterian church. (p. 86) [Top]

DEWEY, REV. SANGER, was born in Turin, Lewis county, N. Y., March 27, 1823, youngest son of Chester Dewey, who was born in Westfield, Mass., in 1787, and came to Leyden, N. Y., in 1801 with his parents, and for several years followed the business of a clothier, but afterwards bought a farm in Turin and spent the rest of his life in that industry. He died in Turin in 1844. He was a descendant of, and the sixth generation from, Thomas Dewey, who came from England in 1633. He married Phebe Wetmore, a native of Connecticut, who died in December, 1845. The Rev. Sanger Dewey became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at thirteen years of age of which his parents had long been honored members. At twenty-one he received exhorter's license, and on March 18, 1848, was licensed to preach. The following June, after spending several years teaching, he was employed as junior preacher on the Steuben circuit (which then embraced several towns) with residence in Trenton. The next year he joined the Black River Conference on probation. In 1851 he was received in full connection and ordained deacon, and two years later was ordained elder. He has been pastor in the following charges: Steuben, Oriskany, East Canada Creek, Marcy, Brackett's Bridge (now Dolgeville), Delta and Westernville (two full terms), New London, North Manlius, Jordan, Sackett's Harbor, Hermon, Rodman, Ogdensburg district, Antwerp, Brownville and Dexter, Martinsburg and Glendale, Taberg, Deansboro, Vernon Center, and in April, 1896, was appointed to Constableville. On November 13, 1851, he married Miss Chloe G. Williams, of Oriskany, by whom he has two daughters. She was born September 28, 1820, and died in Taberg October 16, 1883. On October 14, 1891, he married Miss Addie R. Crofoot, of Constableville, N. Y., daughter of the late Benjamin P. Crofoot. She was born December 1, 1850, and was educated at Cazenovia Seminary. (p. 256) [Top]

DEWHURST, J.C., was born in Willowvale, N.Y., in 1858, son of the late John Dewhurst, a widely-known resident machinist, who came to New Hartford at the age of twenty-five years, prospered and passed the balance of an active life, near this village as a farmer. J.C. Dewhurst, who was supervisor of this town in 1887, is a prominent architect and builder. Independent in politics, firm in his opinions of right, he endorses and serves the highest interests of citizenship. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum. In 1883 he married Christina Kuhn of this place, by whom he has had three children: Bertha, born in 1884; Herbert, in 1887 and De Forest in 1889. His religious views are liberal and are summed up in the Golden Rule. (p. 154) [Top]

DEWING, W.H., M.D., was born in Litchfield, Herkimer county, N.Y., June 4, 1858, and was educated in Whitesboro Seminary and Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia from which he was graduated in 1882. In 1885 he settled in Clayville, where he has since carried on the practice of his profession. Dr. Dewing is a son of George and Mary (Ball) Dewing, and his grandfather came from New England to Litchfield about 100 years ago. Dr. Dewing married Olive E. Van Auken, by whom he has two children: George and Ethel Mary. He is a member of the Oneida County Homoeopathic Medical Society, and has been president of that organization. (p. 271) [Top]

DIETCHE, HENRY, was born in Baden, Germany, February 21, 1842. He was educated in their schools, and afterward learned the boot and shoe trade. In 1870 he came to the United States, first locating in Cleveland, Ohio, but in 1871 he removed to Vernon, Oneida county, N.Y., and to New London, N.Y., October 1, 1872, where he is engaged in the shoe and harness business; he is also an ice dealer. November 1, 1873, he married Elizabeth Ziller, of this place, by whom he had five children: Emma, who died October 28, 1887; Nettie, who died October 2, 1887; Henry G., Joseph E., and Lena B. Mr. Dietche's father, Gallus Dietche, was born at the old homestead in Germany. He married Mary Riester of his native place, by whom he had two children: Henry, as above, and Louisa. Mr. Dietche died in 1892, and his wife in 1855. Mrs. Dietche's father, John Ziller, was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, about 1802. He married Margaret Triebel, of Saxony, by whom he had six children: Margaret, George and Elizabeth, twins, Adam, Elizabeth No. 2, as above, and Catherine. Elizabeth No. 1 died young. Mr. Ziller died in October, 1887. The nationality of this family is German on both sides. (p. 151-152) [Top]

DILLENBECK, DOUGLAS E., was born in Western, March 20, 1862, son of Ephraim and Sarah (Keech) Dillenbeck. His paternal grandfather, Wolcott Dillenbeck, a native of Germany, was a pioneer of Western, where he cleared a farm on which he died. His wife was Anna Tully. Ephraim Dillenbeck, father of Douglas E., was born in Western, August 25, 1833, lived on a farm until 1866, when he embarked in general merchandising for five years. In 1871 he removed to North Western, where he was engaged in the same business until his death, which occurred July 25, 1892. May 25, 1860, he married Sarah, daughter of lames and Mary (Montague) Keech, of Western, by whom he had one son, Douglas E., who was educated in the public schools and Cazenovia Seminary, where he was graduated in the business course. In 1882 he located at Frankfort, where he learned the drug business and was licensed by the State Board of Pharmacy in 1884. He then served as clerk of the canal superintendent at Western and Boonville six years, and since 1889 has been engaged in general merchandising at North Western. December 9, 1892, he married Alice, daughter of James 0. and Emogene (Twining) Waldo, of Western. Mr. Dillenbeck is a member of the F. & A. M., and R. A., and in politics is a Democrat. (p. 167) [Top]

DIMBLEBY, WESLEY, was born September 1, 1838, in Oriskany, Oneida county, is a son of John, who came to America from England and settled on a farm in the town of Marcy at a very early day. Later John Dimbleby moved to Oriskany village, and in 1865 came to Utica, where he died in 1880. He was a local M. E. preacher and a man highly respected. Wesley Dimbleby was educated at Oriskany, and when sixteen came to Utica and entered the employ of A. E. Culver's warehouse and canal boat establishment. Later he learned the molder's trade in Hart & Dagwell's (now Hart & Crouse's) foundry, where he remained until April 23, 1861, when he enlisted in the Citizen's Corps. At Albany he was transferred to Co. B, 14th N. Y. Vols., was promoted corporal, and served two years in the Rebellion. He was wounded at the battle of Malvern Hill and discharged on account of wounds at Harrison's Landing on July 25, 1863. Returning to Utica he went to work for Hart & Dagwell and remained there till the shop was closed. In 1858 he joined the old volunteer fire department as a member of Washington No. 7, Rough and Ready Hose, of which he was assistant foreman and. later foreman. In 1866 he was elected chief engineer and re-elected until 1874, when the present fire department was organized. He was at once appointed chief engineer of the new organization by the board of police and fire commissioners and has ever since held that position to the entire satisfaction of both his associates and the public at large. Mr. Dimbleby is a charter member of Security Lodge Knights of Honor and of Post McQuade No. 4 G. A. R. He is also a member of the Exempt Firemen's Association and National Fire Chief Engineers, and representative of the Firemen's Benevolent Association. (p. 225) [Top]

DIVINE, FRED D., was born July 17, 1856, in Utica, in the house No. 76 State street, in which he has always lived. He is the son of Deloss Divine, who was born at Hope Factory, Otsego county, came to Utica in 1855, and died here February 14, 1892, aged seventy-slx [sic]. Deloss Divine was a roll coverer in the Utica Steam Cotton Mills and at the time of his death was the oldest employee in that estalishment [sic]. He married Martha J. Higby, of Canoga, Seneca county, who survives him. They had two children: Mrs. Chester M. Smith, of Westfield, N.J., and Fred D. Divine, of Utica. The latter was graduated from the Utica Free Academy in 1876, and engaged in manufacturing hand-made fishing rods, which he still continues. On his father's death he succeeded to the latter's position in the Utica Steam Cotton Mills. He also does electric plating and manufactures boats, camp stools, cots, etc. He is a member of Oriental Lodge F. & A.M., Oneida Chapter R.A.M., Utica Commandery No. 3, K.T., and Ziyara Temple Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Masonic and Arcanum Clubs, the Onondaga Fishermen's Association, the Oneida Company Sportsmen's Club, the Michigan Sportsmen's Association, and many other sporting organizations. January 27, 1886, he married Ada C., daughter of William McDuffee, of New York city. (p. 367-368) [Top]

DIXON, JAMES, was born near Dublin, Ireland, May 22, 1834, son of John and Katherine Dixon, who settled in this town with their children, Edward, deceased, John deceased, and James, in about 1840. James Dixon married Sarah, daughter of Hiram and Mary Coville, and they are the parents of five children : John, Lucy Katherine, who is a graduate of Cazenovia Seminary and Oswego Normal; Frank, Mary Clifford, and Lizzie Pauline, who was graduated from Rome Academy, and is now attending school at the Oswego Normal. James Dixon is a self-made man, having started in life when fifteen years of age, working on the canal until 1865, when he moved on the farm where he now resides. He has been collector and is now serving his fourth term as highway commissioner, and in 1890 he had an appointment on the State public works. He belongs to Vienna F. & A. M., No. 440. (p. l 75) [Top]

DOBSON FAMILY.--In 1828 William Noble Dobson came to this country from England with his family, and located in Westmoreland, Oneida county, N. Y. He began business as a tallow chandler; he was also an expert bookkeeper, and at various times took charge of the books of some of the leading business firms of Utica. He died in Syracuse in 1838, leaving a wife and four sons: William B., Charles L., Frederick H., and Alfred B. In 1840 the family removed to Utica. Charles L. established himself in the fruit business in a very modest way at the corner of Genesee and Fayette streets, but with industry and perseverance became successful and prosperous. He afterward removed his business to Oneida Square, where he sold out to his brother, Alfred B. He then taught dancing schools, and for thirty-two years was the leading tutor of the gentle art in Central New York. In 1892 he retired from active life and has since devoted himself to the management of his large real estate interests. In 1878 he erected the Dobson block on Oneida Square, and in 1895 built the Dobson flats on Genesee street and Dobson Hall on Oneida street. William B. Dobson removed to Binghamton, where he died in 1858. Frederick H. removed at the same time, enlisted in the Union Army in 1862, and died in the Windmill Point Hospital, on the Potomac River, in 1863. Alfred B. Dobson sold out his business and retired in 1875. (p. 246) [Top]

DODGE, E. C., was born at Carthage in 1842, son of Clark Dodge, a noted banker of Boonville, and who first engaged in wagon manufacture at Carthage, where he was president of the Carthage Exchange Bank and was also a retail druggist and builder there. In 1866 he established the Bank of Boonville, which, after passing through various financial vicissitudes, was reorganized in 1876, as the First National Bank of Boonville. E. C. Dodge was engaged in the retail drug business at Carthage, which business he resumed in Boonville, where he came at twenty-four years of age. For many years he has been cashier of the bank, with which his father was so closely identified throughout his life. In 1876 he married Cassie Donnelly, daughter of Bernard Donnelly, esq. (p. 107) [Top]

DODGE, JESSE E., son of the late Hiram, was born in Graefenberg. Herkimer county, N. Y., January 4, 1864, and was educated in the public schools of his native town and of Utica and at the Utica Business College. He was for six years in the employ of M. M. Northrup, manufacturer of candies, of Utica, and on February 3, 1885, entered the employ of Newell & Rowe, wholesale and retail dealers in paints, wall paper, window glass, etc. He remained with them and their successors, Newell, Rowe & Rathbun, Newell & Rathbun, and J. W. Rathbun as bookkeeper, until December 1, 1893, when the establishment was destroyed by fire. Mr. Rathbun died soon afterward, and January 1, 1894, Mr. Dodge formed a partnership with E. J. Snyder, under the firm name of Dodge & Snyder, purchased the business, and has since continued with success. (p. 222) [Top]

DODGE, WILLIAM P., was born in St. Lawrence county, February 4, 1843, son of Gilbert and Marietta Dodge, who settled in the town of Trenton in 1847, and their children were William P. and Harriet. William P. married Mary (deceased), daughter of Evan Owens, of Remsen, by whom he had one son, Frank (deceased). He married for his second wife Jennie F., daughter of Lorenzo D. Mealus, of Prospect, N. Y., by whom he has one son, Glenn P. Mr. Dodge first started in business with his father in general merchandise business. In 1876 he bought the Union Hotel, which he conducted for five years. In 1881 he was appointed State game protector, and was also appointed postmaster of the Assembly, and financial clerk of the Assembly for five years. In 1894-5 he was financial clerk of the Senate. He belongs to Remsen F. & A. M., Trenton I. O. O. F., and I. O. R. M. of Prospect and was its first sachem, and also the Oneida Chapter of Utica, N. Y. (p. 218) [Top]

DOHN, FREDERICK, was born near Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, October 13, 1843. He was educated there, and came to the United States in 1866 and first located in New York city, but after a period of ten months went to West Virginia, coming to the town of Verona in 1870. He married Mrs. Margaret Coles, of this town, formerly of Westmoreland, by whom he had five children, four of whom are living: Jennie P., wife of Mr. Cheesbro, and they have one son, Frederick; Christina, who is at the head of the housekeeping establishment; Sarah, a stenographer at Rome, N.Y.; and Emma, who resides at home. Mrs. Dohn died September 20, 1894. Mr. Dohn is a farmer and proprietor of a cider mill, making about 2,000 barrels annually; he also manufactures vinegar. He is the owner of a canning factory called the "Criterion," putting up about 2,000 cases of tomatoes per year. Mr. Dohn is a member of the A.O.U.W., and Rome Council No. 150, Royal Arcanum. (p. 328)

DONLON, JOSEPH M., was born August 10, 1852, on a farm in the town of Lewis, Lewis county, N. Y., and is a son of James Donlon, a native of county West Meath, Ireland, who came to America in 1831 and settled in Lewis county about 1845, where he still lives. Mr. Donlon attended the public schools and remained on the farm until the age of eighteen, when he learned the stone-cutter's trade in Elizabeth, N. J. His health failed, and after two years at home he entered the employ of Proctor & Hill, tanners, of Forestport, Oneida county, and remained five years. In 1882 he came to Utica and engaged in the retail grocery business on the corner of Center and Milgate streets, where he has since continued; later he added a general line of merchandise and now carries on both a wholesale and retail trade. He was one of the founders and has always been a trustee of St. Agnes Roman Catholic church, organized in 1889, and takes an active interest in public affairs. April 28, 1885, he married Mary A., daughter of Edward Coughlin, of Utica, and they have two children, Katharine and Mary. (p. 240) [Top]

DONLON, THOMAS H., was born in the town of Vernon, in January, 1860, son of Patrick and Margaret Donlon, natives of Ireland, and who first came to this country in 1840, and lived for a time in Osceola, Lewis county, N. Y. In 1869 they settled in Vernon, near Sherrill, where they remained during their life. They were prosperous farmers, and by industry accumulated considerable property, leaving at their death two large farms; one is in Lewis county and the other in Vernon. Thomas H. attended the Sherrill school, and while yet a boy entered the employ of the Oneida Community, being engaged in the trap shop. He there learned the machinist trade in which he became proficient, and while thus employed he invented and got patented a nutholder for lumber wagons, also a broomholder, both of which are in extensive use. Soon after this he invented a spring trap which possessed superior qualities over any other in the market. In 1888 he severed his connection with the Community and going to Cortland organized the Cortland Trap Co., where the traps were manufactured. Subsequent important improvements on this led to the sale of his trap to the Oneida Community. At the same time Mr. Donlon returned to the employ of the Community, in which service he remained one year. Since that time he has brought out several valuable patents, one of which being a new trap, and for the manufacture of which he has organized a new company. (p. 154) [Top]

DONNELLEY, WILLIAM T., son of Patrick, a native of Ireland and one of the oldest Irish settlers of Utica, was born in Utica, September 7, 1860, and received a public school education. He followed the trade of baker for seven years and the shoemaker's trade for nine years, during three of which he was foreman of H. J. Holbrook's shoe factory. In the spring of 1895 he formed with his brother-in-law, John J. Barry, the firm of W. T. Donnelley & Co., and engaged in the gents' furnishing business. He is a member of the A. O, H., and is somewhat active in Democratic politics. (p. 224) [Top]

DOOLEY, JOHN J., was born in the town of Annsville, February 11, 1849, son of the late Thomas Dooley, who was born in Ireland, emigrated to the United States in 1840, and settled on a farm in this town, where John J. was reared and where he worked until he was twenty-one years of age, attending the district schools, where he laid the foundation for his business life. When twenty-one years of age he was elected collector of the town, and under Cleveland's first administration was appointed postmaster, during which time he established his present business in the village of Taberg as a general merchant, carrying a full line of goods suitable for country trade. Mr. Dooley was elected supervisor in 1892, which office he still holds, being re-elected for the second term. August 20, 1884, he married Margaret, daughter of James Mahar, by whom he had six children: Michael H., James F., Thomas W., Mariette, Margaret and Emmett I. (p. 166-167) [Top]

DOOLITTLE, HON. CHARLES A., was born in Utica September 22, 1849. Hon. Charles H. Doolittle, his father, was a son of Dr. Harvey Doolittle, of Herkimer, and was born in that village February 19, 1816. He was graduated from Amherst College in 1836, read law with Simeon Ford, of Little Falls, and later with Denio & Hunt, of Utica, and was admitted in 1839. He soon became one of the foremost lawyers in Central New York. In 1869 he was elected a justice of the Supreme Court and ably filled that office until his death, which occurred at sea, May 21, 1874. He was a member of the common council of Utica in 1839, 1844, and 1845, and mayor of the city in 1853. He was also president of the Oneida County National Bank, a manager of the Utica State Hospital, and a vestryman of Grace church. He married Miss Julia T. Shearman, of Rochester, N.Y., and their children living are Hon. Charles A., Mrs. A. Coxe, William S., Julius T., and Miss Isabel, all of Utica. Charles A. Doolittle was graduated with the degree of A.B. from Amherst College in 1872 and received the degree of LL.B. from Hamilton College in 1875, after reading law in Utica with Adams & Swan. He was admitted to the bar at Syracuse in 1875 and began practice as a member of the firm of Adams, Swan & Doolittle. He was appointed United States commissioner of jurors by Judge Blatchford, served as mayor of Utica in 1883 and 1884, and as a director to the Oneida County Bank and an original director of the American District Telegraph Company of Utica, now the Central Telephone Company. He was a vestryman of St. Paul’s church, Utica, and is a charter member of Fort Schuyler Club. (p. 358) [Top]

DOOLITTLE, F.C., was born in Buffalo, N.Y., son of Charles and Eliza (Coates) Doolittle. His grandfather was a patriot in the Revolutionary war and came from Connecticut. F.C. Doolittle was educated in Buffalo. He is a bookkeeper , and for the past thirteen years for the Hop Extract Co., which time he has been a resident of Waterville. In 1870 he married Emma C. Hill, by whom he has two children: Alexander, who is a law student in Utica and graduated from the Columbia College in the class of 1893; and Elizabeth Doolittle. (p. 317) [Top]

DOOLITTLE, HENRY A., was born at Paris, Oneida county, N.Y., May 22, 1857. He went to Utica in 1873 and entered the employ of F.H.& G.W. Shepherd, dry goods dealers, where he remained several years. He studied law in the office of Senator Francis Kernan, and was graduated from Hamilton College Law School in April, 1878, at which time he was duly admitted to practice. Since his admission to the bar he has practiced his profession at Utica, and is now the senior member of the firm Doolittle & Hazard. Mr. Doolittle was supervisor of the Eighth ward of the city in 1883. In 1883-84-85 he was the examiner of guardians’ accounts, under Van Dresar & Bliss. He was attorney for the Board of Excise of Utica in 1884 and 1885. Mr. Doolittle is largely interested in real estate and in various business enterprises. He is president of the Utica Fire Extinguisher Company, and treasurer and general manager of the Baker-Rose Gold Cure Company, both of which corporations have their principal place of business in Utica. (p. 354) [Top]

DORN, SAMUEL, was born in Ava, Oneida county, in 1845, son of Charles Dorn. Charles Dorn was born in Baden, Germany, and settled in Ava at the beginning of the century. He was a farmer, and a man of great natural ability, as was evidenced by the long yet ultimately successful litigation with the town of Ava, which he had concerning an unjust taxation imposed upon him. Samuel Dorn gained his education at Ava, much of which was acquired by personal research and investigation. He owns a farm in Chenango county of 100 acres, and one here of 300 acres; the principal product is potatoes, raising from 2,000 to 4,000 bushels annually for the past twenty years, and which is shipped by Mr. Dorn himself to New York. In. 1876 he married Angeline Sprague, who was born in McDonough, Chenango county, and was the granddaughter of Joseph Sprague, who came from Massachusetts and settled on the farm now owned by Mr. Dorn, when the entire country was a vast wilderness; the nearest grist mill being twenty miles away. They have two sons: Frank, aged nineteen, at present operating a gasoline engine; and Jacob, aged fourteen. Mr. Dorn is president of the board of directors of the Grange store of Boonville, and is a prominent granger; he is also a Republican, but has no proclivity for office. (p. 106) [Top]

DORRANCE, DANIEL G., JR. Dorrance, Daniel G., jr. (third son of Hon. Daniel G. Dorrance of Oneida Castle, N. Y.), was born in the town Of Florence, Oneida county, N. Y., February 28, 1850. In 1859 he removed with his father's family to Oneida Castle in the town of Vernon. He was educated in the schools of Oneida Castle and the Oneida Seminary and was graduated from Hamilton College in the class of 1872. After leaving college he settled in Camden and engaged in the mercantile business; but since 1885 has been in the employ of his father at Oneida Castle as confidential clerk, although retaining his residence in Camden. In 1876 Mr. Dorrance married Ellen, daughter of the late John Lambie, a prominent farmer of Camden. Their children are Ella M., Bessie L., James G., and Harold S. Mr. Dorrance is prominently connected with the offices of the village and town, being a justice of the peace and a member of the Board of Education and is also one of the stockholders in the First National Rank of Camden, N. Y. (p. 91)[Top]

DORRANCE, JOHN G., was born in the town of Florence, Oneida county, December 17, 1837, and is one of the leading business men of Camden. Daniel G. Dorrance, his father, was for many years the leading merchant in Florence, and first settled there in 1832. John G. is one of a family of five children living. He located at East Troy, Wis., in 1856, where he was engaged in the mercantile business until 1865, when he came to Camden. Here he commenced trade again in what was then known as the old "Trowbridge Store," located on the corner of Main and Mexico Streets. In May, 1876, he established a private bank under the name of D. G. and J. G. Dorrance. This bank was succeeded in January, 1880, by the First National bank of Camden. Mr. Dorrance has been cashier of this bank since its organization. He was married February 5, 1861, to Miss Ellen E. Brown of Oneida, N. Y., by whom he has two children, Daniel J. (teller and assistant cashier in the bank of Camden), and Mrs. Davies, wife of Deputy Attorney General John C. Davies of Camden, N. Y. In politics, Mr. Dorrance is a Republican. In June, 1895, he was appointed by Governor Morton to the office of commissioner of State Prisons for the Fifth Judicial District, for the term of five years. (p. 50) [Top]

DORRANCE, W. H., was born in the town of Florence, Oneida county, July 18, 1844. He is one of nine children, and was educated in the district schools of Florence and Whitestown Seminary. He has for twenty-five years been engaged in the hardware trade, and now conducts one of the largest retail hardware stores in Camden, known as W. H. Dorrance & Son. He married Emma Fifield, of Camden, by whom he has four children: Franklin F., John P., Bertha, and Anna. Mr. Dorrance is a Republican in politics. (p. 56) [Top]

DOUGLASS, A.P., was born in Whitestown, N.Y., February 20, 1826, son of Albert and Anna (Phelps) Douglass. Albert Douglass was also born on this farm in 1805, son of Daniel Douglass, who was born in New London, Conn., February 12, 1768. He settled on the old homestead in 1794, and resided here until his death in 1832. His son Albert was also a farmer, and conducted the old homestead farm until his death in 1841. Arthur P. was educated in the district school, after which he engaged in farming, and still continues. He married Esther, daughter of Asa Hewett, of Sodus, Wayne county, by whom he has three children: Anna Frances, married to William Ashley; Edna Lucy, married to Prof. M.L.Brown; and Addison H., who is living at home. Mr. Douglass is a staunch Republican, and takes an active interest in the success of his party. Mrs. Douglass is a member of the Baptist church at Walesville. (p. 321-322)  [Top]

DOUGLASS, J.W., M.D., was born at West Leyden, December 20, 1844, and is a descendant from an old Connecticut family. He is a son of the late Thomas P. Douglass. He began medical research in the office of Dr. Watson, at West Leyden, and in 1874 entered the Long Island College Hospital at Brooklyn, graduating in 1877, and locating at Boonville. Dr. Douglass is a very popular and successful practitioner, and is now acting health officer. (p. 177) [Top]

DOUGLASS, WILLIAM, was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, October 8, 1831, son of Charles and Catherine Douglass. Charles Douglass died in 1861, and Mrs. Douglass died in 1884. William Douglass was educated partly in Scotland and partly in Canada. He came to New York Mills in 1855, and engaged in dyeing, at which he continues. Mr. Douglass is boss dyer in No. 3 mill, which position he has held a number of years, being one of the oldest employees of the company. He married Mary Agnew, daughter of Alexander Agnew, of Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland, and by whom he has three children: Jennie, Isabel, and W. A. Douglass, who is a lawyer in Utica. N. Y. (p. 228) [Top]

DRUMMOND, JAMES, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, November 6, 1840, and came to the United States with his parents when three years of age. They located in this vicinity, where he was educated in the public schools, and afterward became a carpenter and boat builder, which business he carries on in connection with his farming. January 19, 1884, he married Eliza A. Johnson, of the town of Lee, by whom he had six children: James, jr., Eliza A., Nellie G., Kittie M., Nettle M., and Volsey T. Eliza A. married Otis Cagwin, of this town. Mrs. Drummond's father, Allen Johnson, was born in the town of Lee in 1816. He was educated in the schools of his day. and afterward became a carpenter and millwright. He married Julia Mosier, of his native town, by whom he had seven children: Delia, Abner, Mary, Eliza A., as above, Job, Helen, and George. Mr. Johnson died in 1889, and his wife in November, 1890. The ancestry of this family is Scotch and German. (p. 156-157) [Top]

DRUMMOND, JOHN, was born near Glasgow, Scotland, January 25, 1844, and came to the United States with his parents when a year old, first locating near Gloversville, Fulton county, N. Y., but in 1847 moved to New London, N. Y. He was educated in the district schools. He followed the canal eighteen years, but is now a farmer and horse breeder, Morgan Hunter and Hambletonian strains. He has a stock horse, Foxie Lambert, seven years old, and several colts. March 1, 1866, he married Emily Wilmot, of the town of Vienna, by whom he had four children: Jennie E., John, Chauncey, and William. Jennie E. married Porter B. Tuttle, of the town of Rome. John married Minnie Bates, of this town, and they have three children: Harry, Bertie, and Edith. Mr. Drummond's father, William Drummond, was born at the old home in Scotland about 1821. He married Lillie Lauther, of his native place, by whom he had five children: James, John L., as above, William, Thomas, and Catherine. They came to the United States in 1845, and Mr. Drummond died in 1893 and his wife in 1889. Mrs. Drummond's father, Luther Wilmot, was born in the town of Vienna about 1813. He married Caroline Brodock, of his native town, by whom he had six children: Julia, Chauncy, William, Emily, as above, Adeline, and Josephine. Mr. Wilmot died in 1875, and his wife December 28, 1895. Mr. Drummond's father and two brothers were soldiers in the late war. He also sent a thousand dollar substitute. The ancestry of the family on the paternal side is Scotch, and on the maternal side, New England stock, of English extraction. (p. 220-221) [Top]

DRUMMOND, THOMAS, was born in the town of Verona, near the old homestead, March 26, 1845, and was educated in the district schools. He followed the canal before and after the war, but is now a hotel keeper in New London, N.Y. January 7, 1864, he enlisted in Co. A, 2d Heavy Artillery, participated in several heavy engagements, and was wounded in the left hand and wrist in the battle before Petersburg; on June 16, 1864, he was sent to Grove Hospital, Portsmouth, R.I., was transferred to general hospital at Elmira, N.Y., and was honorably discharged by surgeon's certificate of disability May 25, 1865. April 16, 1868, he married Emma G. Guest, of this town, by whom he had three children: Eugene E., Charles T. and Gertrude M. Mrs. Drummond's father, William Guest, was born in England about 1810. He married Sarah Forward, of his native place, by whom he had ten children: Jemima, William, Joseph, Thomas, Henry, Mary, James, Eugene, Emma G., as above, and Jerome, who died in his fourth year. The family came to the United States after four children were born, and located in the town of Verona. Mr. Guest died in 1879, and his wife in 1880. Mr. Drummond is a member of New London Lodge 420, F. & A.M. The ancestry of this family is Scotch and English. (p. 334-335)  [Top]

DUNHAM, GEORGE EARL.--Mr. Dunham is best known in Oneida county through his connection with the Utica Daily Press, which, from anything but an auspicious beginning, has become one of the leading and most prosperous papers in Central New York. The Press was started in March, 1882, by printers who had left the Herald two days before and whose facilities were decidedly limited. The first number had four small pages by no means of attractive appearance. Mr. Dunham went with the Press the following July and at one time or another has held every situation on the editorial staff. In 1886 he became president of the company and editor of the paper and has continued in these positions ever since. At the same election T. K. Proctor was chosen vice-president and Otto A. Meyer secretary, treasurer and business manager. The improvement and growth of the Press have been steady and permanent, till now it enjoys the largest circulation in its field. Mr. Dunham was born at Clayville, April 5, 1859, the only child of Moses E. Dunham, D. D , Ph. D., and Harriet (Hughston) Dunham. He was graduated at Whitestown Seminary in 1875 and Hamilton College in 1879, the youngest member of his class at both institutions. He was for a year a clerk in the office of Edwin Baylies at Johnstown, N. Y., one of the ablest law writers of his time, and the author of Baylies' "Questions and Answers," Baylies on "Guaranty and Suretyship" and other standard works. In 1880 he was admitted to practice law and became a member of the firm of Baylies & Dunham. The firm did much work in the line of law book writing, being employed on various of William Wait's publications and several other legal books. A year later Mr. Dunham returned to Oneida county to become vice-principal of Whitestown Seminary, of which his father was principal. In 1882 he came to Utica as a reporter on the Press and has since remained with that paper. In 1888 he was appointed a manager of the United States Hospital for the Insane and was reappointed by Governor Flower and three years later by Governor Morton. He was appointed by Mayor Kinney chairman of the Utica Electric Light Commission and served three years. He was elected a trustee of Hamilton College in 1891 and was reelected in 1895. Mr. Dunham married Helen L. Jones of Utica, January 9, 1884. They had one child, a daughter, who died in infancy. (p. 84-85) [Top]

DUNHAM, M. EARL, D. D., PH. D., LL.D., son of the Rev. Moses and Roxana Dunham, and grandson of the Rev. Samuel Dunham, was born February 6, 1826, in Herkimer county, N. Y. He was kept steadily at school until he was twenty-two years of age, having prepared for college at Cazenovia Seminary and graduated from Hamilton College, in Clinton, N. Y., in the class of 1847. Three years later he took the degree of M. A. in course. After graduating he entered upon the profession of teaching and pursued it steadily for twelve years, holding the position of principal in Berlin Academy for four years and in Sauquoit Academy for eight years. Later in life he was principal of the famous Whitestown Seminary for three years. He was eminently successful in educational work and won a wide reputation as a teacher. In 1859 he entered the ministry, being licensed and ordained by the Presbytery of Utica. For the period of twenty-seven years he held his connection with the Presbyterian church, holding pastorates in some of the most prominent church societies and serving twice as delegate to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in America. In 1889 he changed his church relation to the Congregationalists, in which body he was honored with a seat in the National Council, and is now pastor of the Plymouth Congregational church, of Utica, N. Y. During the period of his successful ministry he has received from Union and other universities the degrees of Ph. D., D. D., and LL. D. His life has been an exceedingly busy one, and in addition to his school and pastoral work he has occupied the editorial chair for several years as managing and associate editor of the The Temperance Patriot, The Living Issue, and associate editor of The Temperance Banner, The New York Central News, and other reform papers. His correspondence with secular, religious and reformatory journals has been prolific, and many short and continued stories of his have been published in papers and magazines. He has also written and published two books named respectively Here and Hereafter, and The Philosophy of Prayer, and is busy preparing others. Early in life he entered upon reform work, first as a temperance reformer, and has lectured upon this topic extensively throughout the State of New York and more or less in neighboring States and Canada. His services have been in large requisition for special addresses at school conventions and institutes and other special occasions, as well as at religious gatherings. He was one of the original movers in the prohibitory sentiment in New York State, and has been honored by several nominations for State and National offices. Identified with the Good Templars for years he has held some of the highest offices in the Grand Worthy Lodge, and has been a member of the Right Worthy Grand Lodge of the World. He has also held high official positions among the Sons of Temperance, the Rechabites, and the Templars of Honor. As a presiding officer he has manifested special ability and has often been elected chairman of State conventions and other gatherings. He was chairman of the New York State delegation in the Prohibition convention at Pittsburg, Pa., which put St. John in nomination for president of the United States. In 1851 he married Miss Harriet U. Hughston, only daughter of James Hughston, of East Guilford, N. Y., a lady of rare abilities. She died in 1859, leaving one son, George F., editor of the Utica Daily Press, trustee of Hamilton College, and one of the managers of the Utica State Hospital. In 1862 Mr. Dunham married Lydia M. Johnston, only daughter of David S. Johnston, of Sydney, N. Y., a lady of culture and refinement, who devotes much of her time and energies to works of reform. Hale and hearty, Mr. Dunham is still in the forefront of the battle, doing an amount of work before which many a younger man would shrink. (p. 154-155) [Top]

DURFEE, W. V., was born in Madison county, August 6, 1833, son of William and Ursula (Seaburn) Durfee, natives of Rhode Island. W. V. Durfee has spent nearly all of his life in Sangerfield, where he has been engaged in farming. January 1, 1856, he married Maria Bush, who died June 30, 1895. Mr. Durfee is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Grange. (p. 377) [Top]

DURR, CHARLES J., was born in the village of Camden, N. Y., July 12, 1871, son of Patrick Durr, who was born in Ireland and came to the United States in 1855, first settling in Florence, but later coming to Camden, where he engaged in the hotel business and was proprietor of the Durr's Hotel for about twenty-five years. Patrick Durr married Mary Lewis by whom he had six children. Charles J. was educated in the Camden Union School since which time he has been engaged in the merchant tailoring business and also carries a fine line of ready made clothing and gents furnishing goods. He married Hettie Ford. (p. 9) [Top]

DWYER, MICHAEL, was born in Ireland, August 28, 1845, and came to America in 1852 with his parents, Thomas and Nora (Hickey) Dwyer who settled and died in Utica. She died in 1880 and he in 1881. He was graduated from Assumption Academy in 1859, and became a clerk in a grocery store. In 1862 he learned the butcher's trade, and in 1863 went west, where he remained until 1865, when he returned to Utica and engaged in farming. In 1868 he began railroading and in 1872 established his present business in Bleecker street. He is a member of the Holy Name Society of St. John's Roman Catholic Church, and takes a deep interest in public affairs. July 23, 1876, he married Mary, daughter of John Lackey, of the town of Annsville, Oneida county. Their children living are Nora, Thomas, Catherine, John, Marguerite and Agnes; two died in infancy. Mrs. Dwyer died February 13, 1893. (p. 252) [Top]

DYE, DANIEL C., M.D., son of Amasa A. and Caroline (Hutchinson) Dye, was born in Rockwood, Fulton county, June 23, 1860, read medicine with Dr. Nelson Everest of his native village, and was graduated from the Department of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor June 23, 1885, his diploma being endorsed by the faculty of Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York city. In the fall of 1886 he began the active practice of his profession in Utica, where he has since resided. Dr. Dye is a member of the Oneida County Medical Society and on April 14, 1896, was elected its president. He is also a member and for four years was secretary of the Utica Medical Library Association and later its delegate to the New York State Medical Society, of which he is a permanent member. He is a charter member of the Utica Medical Club and in March, 1896, was elected its president. He is a member of the Association of Medical Officers of the National Guard and Naval Militia of New York State, first lisutenant [sic] and permanently commissioned (October 1, 1890) assistant surgeon of the 44th Separate Co. N.G.S.N.Y., ward physician of the Eighth ward, and surgeon on the staff of St. Elizabeth's Hospital, of which he was resident physician three and one-half years. June 23, 1892, he married Jessie M., daughter of Alonzo B. Walling, of Utica, and they have one daughter, Dorothy Jessie. (p. 303) [Top]

DYGART, JOHN H., was born in Oneida county, N.Y., in 1829. He was educated in the district schools, and January 1, 1853, he married Susan Lansing, of his native county, by whom he had six children: Harriet A., Dennison H., George H., Ida M., Josie F., and Myra M. Peter Dygart, father of John H., was born in Madison county, N.Y., and married Elsie Goodeno, by whom he has three children: John H., Dennison and Maria. Mrs. Dygart's father, Henry Laning, was born February 8, 1808. He married Abigail Coon, of his native place, by whom he had three children: William, Susan, and Harriet. Mr. Laning died January 16, 1890, and his wife July 19, 1860. Mr. Dygart's grandfather, Henry Dygart, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. The ancestry of the family is of New England stock, of Dutch origin on both sides. (p. 144-145) [Top]

DYGERT, GEORGE W., is a grandson of Peter Dygert, who came to Utica from Schenectady at an early day and drove stages from several years. James H., son of Peter, was born there in 1839, and has been a life-long restaurateur. His son, George W., was born in Utica, April 17, 1865, followed bookkeeping about ten years, and in the fall of 1891 succeeded his father as the proprietor of a restaurant and oyster house. He is a member of I.O. of R.M., and a charter member of the old Utica Mandolin Club, the first organization of the kind in the city. He has always taken an active part in important musical entertainments. (p. 379) [Top]

DYKEMAN, THEODORE W., son of Aaron, a commission merchant, was born in Penn Yan, N.Y., April 30, 1863, and was educated at the Penn Yan Academy. While there he lost his right arm in a railroad accident. He then learned telegraphing, (which he has since followed, being stationed at various times in the West Shore Railroad dispatcher's office at Syracuse, the W. U. Telegraph offices in Auburn, Syracuse and Skaneateles, and the B. H. T. & W. and D. & H. railroad dispatchers' offices in Mechanicsville, N. Y., and Albany. N.Y., also in dispatcher's office of the Troy & Boston R. R. at Troy, acting as night dispatcher for one year. In 1884 he came to Utica as manager of the Postal Telegraph Company, which position he has since held. When he came to Utica in 1884, he did all his work alone and had one messenger; now has ten messengers, one clerk and two operators. He is a member of the Utica Cycling Club and the Utica Maennechor. (p. 201) [Top]