EASINGWOOD, ARTHUR L., was born in England, October 4, 1859, and came to the United States in 1880, where he settled in Utica, and remained for two years, working at his trade as carpenter and joiner. He came to the village of Clinton in 1882, where he has resided ever since. He has become prominent in the affairs of the village, and has been a contractor and builder, erecting some of the fine residences now standing here. He married Harriet B. Kick, daughter of Peter and Mercy Kick of College Hill, by whom he has one son, Albert H. Mr. Easingwood is treasurer of the Clinton Lodge No. 169 F.& A.M. (p. 125) [Top]

EASTMAN, W.J., was born in the town of Marshall, and educated in Waterville. His father was Virgil S. Eastman of Marshall, and his grandfather, Socrates Eastman. His mother, Julia (Lincoln) Eastman, was a native of Ionia, Mich., and was the first white child born in that county. He engaged in the electrical and bicycle business in 1893, which he has since successfully conducted. Mr. Eastman is a member of the popular Waterville Band. (p. 312-313) [Top]

EATON, ELMER E., came to the town of Augusta in 1881, having moved from the town of Stockbridge, where he was born May 15, 1843, and where he was educated. He was a son of Justus Eaton, a native of Connecticut, who came to Augusta with his parents in early childhood. At the age of fifteen his father bound him out to John Porter, where he continued to live until he was twenty-one, at which time he settled in Stockbridge, where he resided a prosperous farmer until his death, February 23, 1888. His wife, Susan M. Green, was born in Vermont in 1805, and died in Stockbridge, November 12, 1871. The Eatons were of English descent. "Hill Crest Farm," two and a half miles north of Knoxboro, the home of Mr. Eaton, is one of the finest in the town. He married Mrs. Eva (Ranney) Stewart, who was born in Stockbridge, June 30, 1855, by whom he has five children: Lena M., born January 7, 1882; Lillian C., born May 1, 1884; Lottie May, born September 19, 1887; Bernice L., born October 11, 1889, and Merlin E., born August 19, 1892. Mrs. Eaton has one daughter, D. Elizabeth Stewart, who was born July 20, 1875. (p. 148-149) [Top]

EATON, MAURICE.--Samuel Eaton was born in Newport, Herkimer county, N.Y., and afterward moved to Deerfield, where he engaged in farming. He was a Republican in politics, and was assessor of the town of Deerfield for several terms. He married Hannah Tanner, of Schuyler, Herkimer county, by whom he had five children: Morris, a farmer on the homestead, who is a Republican in politics and is at present assessor of Deerfield; Charles, also a farmer on the homestead, who is a member of Lodge No. 455, F. & A.M.,; Albert, a carpenter of Goshen, Ind.; Sherman, a farmer in Herkimer county; and Emma, who married Hugh Jones, a farmer, of Deerfield, and who died in 1890. Samuel Eaton died March 16, 1894, and his wife died in November, 1891. Elijah Eaton, father of Samuel, came from Vermont and was a pioneer of Deerfield, where he was a farmer. He married Hannah Goodrich, of Whitestown. (p. 381) [Top]

EDIC, ALSON A., was born in March, N. Y., October 8, 1858, son of Amos L. and Clista R. (Payne) Edic. Amos L. was a native of Marcy, son of Jacob and Esther (Levensworth) Edic, very early settlers in the town of Marcy. Mrs. Clista (Payne) Edic was a native of Deerfield, and a daughter of Edward Payne, who came from Vermont in 1820, and settled on the farm in Deerfield where Alson A. Edic now resides. Amos L. was engaged in farming in Marcy for many years, and also surveying at which he still works, having taken up his residence in Utica, since the death of Mrs. Edic, which occurred in 1876. He was supervisor in Marcy, and also held the office of town clerk and justice of the peace; and he is a member of the Masonic lodge. Alson A. Edic was educated at Whitestown Seminary, and has always been engaged in farming. In 1880, he settled on Payne Farm in Deerfield, where he still resides. The farm consists of 209 acres and he keeps thirty cows. In 1882, he married Hattie M., daughter of John and Almena (Irons) Penner of New York Mills, by whom he had three children: Allie L., Willie and Florence. (p. 47) [Top]

EDIC, HENRY, was born in the town of Marcy, April 2, 1823, Son of Jacob and Isabelle Edic, whose children were James, Emily, Henry, Jacob, William, Isabelle, Louise, Amos, Mary Esther, Charles J., Franklin, John Jacob, Antonette, Isabelle, who were all natives of this county. Jacob Edic in early life was engaged in boating on the Mohawk River and later pioneer farming. He was very public spirited, and active in church and educational interests. Henry Edic married Elite, daughter of Benjamin and Mary Kipp, by whom he has five children: George Henry, Harriet Eliza, Frederick Charles, Jacob and Emily Maud. Mr. Edic is engaged in farming; is active in both church and school work, and has been trustee of the school for many years. He was supervisor in 1861 and 1862, also assessor for many years, and is now living retired. (p. 170-171) [Top]

EDWARDS, JOHN E., was born in the town of Remsen, N. Y., May 6, 1848, son of John and Ellen Edwards, who settled in Oneida county about 1825. He married Susan A., a daughter of Luther G. and Esther Millington, residents of Prospect, by whom he had one son, Luther M., who married Julia Sweet, of Oriskany. Mr. Edwards started for himself at the age of sixteen years as a farmer and school teacher, which he continued for six years, since which time he has been engaged in the manfacture [sic] of cheese. He is also interested in farming and insurance. He is a member of Prospect Lodge No. 221, I. O. R. M., and was its first secretary. He has been justice of the peace in Trenton and town clerk of the town of Russia, Herkimer county, N. Y. (p. 217-218) [Top]

EDWARDS, L.D., is a native of Wales, and came to America with his parents, David L. and Ann (Roberts) Edwards, when thirteen weeks old, and settled in Oneida county, but afterwards removed to Lewis county, and later they returned to Oneida county. L.D. Edwards was educated in the district schools and Winfield Seminary. He taught school for ten terms in Oneida and Wyoming counties, and studied in Waterville. He was admitted to the bar, January 9, 1880. Mr. Edwards was supervisor of the town of Marshall in 1887 and 1888, and was justice of the peace in 1886. He was supervisor of the town of Sangerfield in 1891, and was elected chairman of the board. He is a Mason, a member of the Chapter and Utica Commandery. In 1881 he married Margaret A., only daughter of Isaac Jones of Waterville. (p. 312) [Top]

EELLS, CHARLES W., was born in the town of Kirkland, July 18, 1819, son of Robert Eells, was born in Middletown. Conn., and came to the towns of Kirkland and Whitestown in 1815. Their ancestors were from England. Robert Eells married Rebecca, daughter of Simeon Hatch of New Hartford, by whom he had three children: George K. and Henry (deceased), and Charles W. Charles W. Eells was educated in the town of Westmoreland, and graduated from Whitestown Academy. He engaged in farming and now owns a farm of forty acres. He married Mary A., daughter of Orrin Prior of Kirkland. by whom he has three children: Elizabeth, Martha and Theodore. (p. 135-136) [Top]

EHRSAM, GEORGE, was born October 10, 1858, in Utica, where his father, John, settled about 1855, coming her from Germany. John Ehrsam has been for several years actively engaged in the cabinet and furniture business. George Ehrsam was educated in the the [sic] public schools of his native city. He learned and followed the tailor's trade until 1882, when he formed a co-partnership with B.L. Fitch, under the firm name of Ehrsam & Fitch, and engaged in the merchant tailoring business. This is one of the leading custom clothing firms in Utica. (p. 342) [Top]

ELLINWOOD, REUBEN C., was born on the farm where he now lives, July 20, 1827, son of Capt. Reuben Ellinwood, who was born in Massachusetts and came to the town of Kirkland, then a part of Paris, with his father, Hanania Ellinwood, where they cleared a farm on which Reuben C. now resides. Reuben Ellinwood married Eunice Hart, and Reuben C. is the youngest of fourteen children, and was educated in the district schools and the Clinton Liberal Institute, after which he engaged in farming. He now owns a fine farm of 100 acres. (p. 222) [Top]

The late JOHN EDWARD ELLIOTT, descendant of John Elliott, the apostle to the Indians, was born in the town of Marshall, January 1, 1821. He was the son of Edward Elliott, who was born in Connecticut and came to the town of Marshall in 1820, where he engaged in farming. He married Betsey Fairchild, of Connecticut, by whom he had four children. At the age of ten John with his parents came to Clinton, where he lived until his death, July 6, 1860. He was educated in the Clinton Academy, after which he engaged in mining business for over thirty years, and was the owner of several iron mines in this State and Canada. He was contractor for a part of the Utica, Clinton & Binghamton Railroad and largely interested in the street railroad of Utica. He was supervisor of the town of Kirkland three times. Married in 1853 Lovina, daughter of Calvin Kellogg, by whom he had two sons: Frank A., of Clinton, and Edward, of Utica. (p. 136-137) [Top]

ELLIS, HUGH M. was born in Wales, October 9, 1844, son of Ellis and Mary (Morris) Ellis, natives of Wales, who came to Deerfield about 1847. Mr. Ellis died in Deerfield, December 18, 1888, at eighty-two years of age. The grandfathers, David Ellis and Hugh Morris, both died in Wales. Hugh M. Ellis has always been engaged in farming, owning a farm of 117 acres in Deerfield, which he bought in 1871, and keeps from thirteen to fifteen cows. In 1890, he married Emily M., daughter of Albert T. and Mary F. (Sharp) Wright, of Forest Hotel, Deerfield, and by whom he has three children: Morris Walter, Laura Maud, and Iva Frances. August 12, 1862, Mr. Ellis enlisted in Co. F., 117th N. Y. Vols., and was honorable discharged at New York city, June 7, 1865; and he was in many hard fought battles. He is a member of Post Thomas 89, G. A. R. at Prospect, and they attend the Methodist church. (p. 10) [Top]

ELLIS, THOMAS T., was born in the town of Western, N. Y., November 15, 1853, son of John and Ellen (Griffith) Ellis, who came from Wales and settled in Remsen in 1845. Their children were: John, jr., Jennet Catherine, wife of Griffith Thomas; Ellis; Ellen, wife of Griffith Evans; Jane, wife of William T. Hughes; William and Thomas T. John Ellis, sr., was a grain and dairy farmer by occupation, and was active in religious and educational affairs. Thomas T. Ellis married Mary Anna, daughter of John W. and Annie Elizabeth Jones, by whom he has four children: Nellie, Jennie, Lizzie and John Elmer. Nellie and Jennie attend the Holland Patent Academy. Mr. Ellis is engaged in farming and is active in the promotion of the schools of the town. The family are members of the church at Camroden, N. Y. (p. 37) [Top]

ELTHORP, WILLIAM, was born in London, England, in 1837, son of William, who was born in England and was a gas manufacturer and later a railroad conductor in England and France. He became wealthy and at his death owned some 600 acres of land. Mr. Elthorp married Sarah Burt, by whom he had these children: William, Sarah, George, Alice, Lucy, John, and Mary. They came to America in 1848, settling in Forestport, where Mr. Elthorp devoted his time to farming and lumbering up to the time of his death in 1880. His wife now resides in Forestport, aged eighty-five years. When nineteen years of age William, jr., went to South Carolina and Georgia, where he was engaged in railroad tunneling. He then returned to Forestport and engaged in farming and lumbering, and in 1880 bought his first farm, containing fifty acres, of his father. He has added to it until he now has 354 acres of land; he is still interested in lumbering. He has served as overseer of the poor, town collector, etc. In 1860 Mr. Elthorp married Anna Eliza, daughter of Josiah and Sarah Getman, born in Manheim, Fulton county, N. Y., who died fourteen months later. In 1863 Mr, Elthorp married his first wife's sister, Mrs. Sarah E. (Getman) Carpenter, and their children are William, Charles, Harriet, wife of James McArthy, of Grey, Herkimer county; Alice, wife of John Lindsey, also of Grey, Herkimer county; and Adeline. Mr. Elthorp enjoys the distinction of having been a playmate of Prince Albert when a boy. (p. 206) [Top]

ELWOOD, ERNEST J., son of William Elwood, a builder, was born in Stockbridge, Madison county, February 19, 1856, finished his education in the Oneida Union School, and spent five years in the office of the Oneida Union learning the printer's trade. He was then in Watertown and Syracuse two years and in 1877 came to Utica where he followed his trade in the offices of the Herald and Observer. Later he was a proof reader for L.C. Childs & son, and in March, 1894, established his present job printing business, forming with A.J. Fierstine the firm of Fierstine & Elwood. Mr. Elwood is a member of Skenandoah Lodge, No. 95, I.O.O.F., and was for seven years secretary and treasurer of the Odd Fellows Union. He is also a member of Tri-Mount Encampment, No. 24, I.O.O.F. During the years 1884, 1885, 1886, 1887, and 1889, he served as supervisor of the Second ward and in 1886-87 was reading clerk of the board. He is an active Democrat and in 1893 was candidate for member of assembly for the first district, but was defeated, although he was ahead of his ticket, the district being overwhelmingly Rupublican [sic]. (p. 346) [Top]

ELY, BELLE, is one of the most notable personages of Oneida county to-day, and as the last representative of her line of the Ely family, she inherits not only a large farm property, but also the ability of her ancestors that accumulated it, and there is no farm in the town better managed than her 300 acre homestead, and she supervises it entirely herself. Her great-grandfather, Thomas Ely, settled on the present homestead when the country was a wilderness, and his neighbors were a very few white people and mostly Brothertown Indians. He had five sons and one daughter. Her grandfather, Thomas Aden Ely, was the second son of Thomas; he remained on the homestead, and was the father of one son and one daughter. Francis Alonzo, the son, was the father of Belle. He also spent his life on the homestead, adding to its acres as his ancestors had done and improving the comfort and beauty of the old home. The bounteous orchard now surrounding the horse and the thrifty maples growing along the highway and yard bear testimony to his love of nature; and the little water-house by the roadside, built by himself with his mother's ancient spinning-wheel on the top, furnishes many cooling draughts for weary beast and thirsty man, and brings to the minds of his many friends his ever-ready joke and pleasant smile. He died October 10, 1890, and his wife. Charlotte (Parmlee) Ely, died July 11, 1867. Miss Ely is a member of the Grange, and is widely noted for her business ability. (p. 238-239) [Top]

ENSWORTH, GEORGE W., was born In the town of New Hartford, N. Y., in 1836, the youngest of a large family of Ezra Ensworth, of Connecticut birth, who came here in 1792, when two years of age; his father, Elihu Ensworth, having died when he was fifteen years of age, a widowed mother and two sisters were left to his care. He bravely met with these adversities of fortune, and at one time peddled home made cheese in Utica, when there were so few buildings that he could visit them all in less than one hour. He died at ninety-three years of age; his wife, Hannah (Munson) Ensworth, having died previously, January 17, 1876, leaving eight children, of whom only three are now living. George W. has always occupied the old homestead of 200 acres on the site where his father lived for ninety years. His grandfather, Samuel Munson, once kept a hotel, or as it was then called, a half-way house, on the site where the W. S. R. R. now crosses Genesee street. In 1872 Mr. Ensworth married Josephine Wilcox, of Portland, Chautauqua county, by whom he had two children: William E., who is engaged in farming at home; and Libbie E., who died in 1891, at fourteen years of age. (p. 267) [Top]

ENTWISTLE, JOHN, born in Lancashire, England, May 28, 1840, is a son of Joseph and Ann (Pierson)Entwistle and came to America with his parents in 1842. In 1848 the family went to Chicago, where the father died in 1855. In 1856 they came to Utica, where the mother still resides at the age of eighty-three. John Entwistle was educated in the Chicago public schools. Coming to Utica he entered the employ of Avery N. Lord, manufacturer of soda water, etc., and remained with him nine years. He was the first janitor of the Government building, holding the position three years, and since 1865 has been engaged in general merchandise in Bleecker street, building the present block in 1894. In 1860 he married Mary Ann Beard, of New Hartford, Oneida county, and they have five sons: Joseph (foreman of the Skenandoa Mills), James, John, jr., Ralph (engaged in the meat market business in his father's block), and Thomas. (p. 343) [Top]

ERWIN, CORNELIUS B., was born in Boonville in 1846, son of Silas W. Erwin, and grandson of Peter Erwin, who settled here at the beginning of the century. He is also nephew of the noted philanthropist, Cornelius B. Erwin, of this town, after whom he was named. This uncle's solicitude for the advancement and happiness of those of his community is evinced by the many and well directed benevolences: The Erwin Library and the Park, to each of which he bequeathed a legacy for its maintenance, and the Baptist and Presbyterian churches, together with the Cemetery Association, received bequests. Our subject spent ten years of his life in Wabash, Ind., as carpenter, and several years in Nebraska. He also has a worthy war record, being a participant in the Shenandoah Valley raid, and was with the 21st New York Cavalry at Denver, and on frontier duty one year. In 1870 he married Alfaretta Scoville, who died in Wabash, Ind., in 1874, and in 1875, he married Mary B. Skinner of Wabash, by whom he has five children. (p. 181) [Top]

EUIN, JOSEPH F., was born in Utica, N. Y., son of the late Joseph Euin, who was born in Ireland, and came to the United States, where he engaged in the boot and shoe business in Utica. He married Ann Daley, of Ireland, by whom he had five children: Mary A., Francis A., Eliza J., Joseph F. and William T. J. F. Euin was educated in the schools of Utica, and was graduated from the Academy in 1862. He was first employed by the Western Union Telegraph Company; then as clerk in the Utica, Clinton and Binghamton Railroad Company's office, and in 1868 was appointed station and express agent at Clinton, where he has remained up to this time, notwithstanding all the changes of said road. (p. 226-227) [Top]

EVANS, CHARLES H., was born in the town of Floyd, January 28, 1856, son of Owen J. and Rose Evans, who settled here about 1830. Their children were Jane, John, William, Owen J., Mary Jane, and Charles H., all natives of Floyd. Charles H. Evans married Ruth L., daughter of Rev. John R. Griffith, by whom he had three children: Flora R., Edwin J. and Erwin O. Mr. Evans has been trustee and is now secretary of Camroden Congregational Church, also superintendent of the Sunday School. He is interested in educational affairs, also in town affairs and is postmaster at Camroden, appointed by President Harrison May 11, 1892. (p. 10) [Top]

EVANS, JOHN, was born in the town of Floyd, March 25, 1842, son of Owen and rose Evans, who settled in Floyd about 1831. They had six children: Jane (deceased), John, William (deceased), Owen J., Mary Jane (deceased), and Charles H. Owen J. jr. is a farmer and is active in the development of the town. John Evans married Libbie, daughter of William W. and Catherine Jones, by whom he had one child, Mary Jane, who died October 9, 1884, aged seven years. Mr. Evans is a dairy farmer. He served as collector for the town one term. (p. 45) [Top]

EVANS, JOHN V., was born in the town of Marcy, Oneida county, January 1, 1838, and he is a son of Evan Evans, who was born in North Wales in March 1808. Evan Evans came to America in 1832 and settled in Marcy where he married Sophia Thomas. In 1839 they came to Utica. He died in Holland Patent January 16, 1895. His wife's death occurred in 1853. He was a carpenter by trade, and for a time had a lumber yard on Columbia street, on the site of the Utica Steam Cotton Mills. He also had a flour and feed business here. He had five children: John V., Eleanor, Jane A. (Mrs John Roberts), and Mary S. (Mrs. Edward Bice), of Utica, and Evan T., of Holland Patent. John V. Evans during his youth, followed various occupations, being a clerk in a store in Wisconsin, engaged in mining in California, and eight years in stockraising in Nevada. In 1885 he returned to Utica and forming a partnership with John Edwards, as Evans & Edwards, engaged in his present business as dealer in coal and wood on the corner of Court street and Chenango avenue. He is a Republican and in January, 1890, was elected a member of the Board of Charities and was re-elected in 1893, serving two terms of three years each. In January, 1896, he was chosen president of the board. He is a member of Utica Lodge F. & A. M. April 9, 1862, he married Katherine, daughter of Stephen and Hannah Davis, of Schuyler, Herkimer county, and they have had five children: Ernest E., and Cordie P., of Utica, Lena C., who died April 27, 1895, age twenty- seven; Dr. J. Corliss, a physician in Cincinnati, Ohio; and Arthur S. Evans. (p. 206) [Top]

EVANS, OWEN J., was born in the town of Floyd, April 2, 1849, son of Owen J. and Rose (Owen) Evans, who settled in Floyd about 1830. Their children were Jane (deceased), John, William (deceased), Owen J., Mary Jane (deceased) and Charles, all natives of Floyd. Owen J. Evans, sr., was one of the pioneer dairy farmers and was active in educational interests. Owen J., jr., engaged in teaching school at the age of twenty, but is now engaged in farming and civil engineering. He is a graduate of Whitestown Seminary. He was elected supervisor in 1886 and is very active in school work. (p. 255) [Top]

EVANS, JR., RICHARD, was born in the town and house where he now resides, June 21, 1848, son of Richard W. Evans, who was born in England in 1812, came to the United States in 1835, and was first employed in New York city, coming to the town of Kirkland in 1844, where he engaged in farming, remaining here a number of years, then moved to Utica, where he lived retired. He married --- Jones of England, by whom he had three children: Robert, deceased, who was superintendent of the county house until his death; Ellis J., a farmer in Kansas; and Richard, who is one of the leading farmers of this town, owing one farm of 190 acres, and another of fifty acres, his principal crops being hops, hay and corn. He married Hannah L., daughter of George Comstock, by whom he had two children: George B. and Adella D. (p. 298) [Top]

EVANS, RICHARD J., was born in the town and house where he now resides, June 21, 1848, son of Richard W. Evans, who was born in England in 1812, came to the United States in 1835, and was first employed in New York city, coming to the town of Kirkland in 1844, where he engaged in farming, remaining here a number of years, then moved to Utica, where he lived retired. He married Miss Jones of England, by whom he had three children: Robert, deceased, who was superintendent of the county house until his death; Ellis J., a farmer in Kansas; and Richard, who is one of the leading farmers of this town, owing one farm of 190 acres, and another of fifty acres, his principal crops being hops, hay and corn. He married Hannah L., daughter of George Comstock, by whom he had two children: George R. and Adella D. (p. 318) [Top]

EVERETT, CHARLES M., was born in Clinton, N. Y., April 7, 1843, son of Hiram G. Everett, who was born in Litchfield, Herkimer county, in 1801. He married Elizabeth Blockstone, who was born in the town of New Hartford, her father, Edward Blockstone, being among the early settlers of the town, coming from Connecticut. They had two children: Edward B. and Charles M., the latter the only surviving one. Charles M. Everett graduated from the law department of Hamilton College, and was employed in the office of ex-Judge Williams of Clinton for four years. He then engaged in the wholesale grocery business in Utica and New York city, but for the last fifteen years has been traveling. He has been president of the school board, since the organization of the Union school and academy of Clinton. He married Mary V., daughter of William Groves, who was one of the first graduates of the Hamilton College, by whom he has three children: William G., Edward R., and John Groves. Mr. Everett is a member of Lodge No. 169, F. & A.M., of Clinton, (p. 297-298) [Top]

EYNON, DR. DAVID SLADE, son of John, was born in Utica, March 17, 1863. John Ehnon was born in Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, South Wales, England, in October, 1816, settled permanently in Utica in 1846, where he died in August, 1886. His wife, Esther E. Williams, born in South Wales in 1835, survives him. Their children were Dr. David S. of Utica; Dr. William G., of New York city; and John S., of Boston, Mass. Dr. David S. Eynon was educated in the Utica public schools and academy. He read medicine with Dr. James Garrettson of Philadelphia, and Dr. Wallace Clark, of Utica, was graduated as M.D. from the Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia in 1886, and spent some time in the Orthopedic Hospital of that city. in 1887 he began practice in Ashland, Wis., and came to Utica in 1890. In 1891, 1892, and 1893 he took post-graduate courses in the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, the New York Ophthalmic and Aural Institute under Dr. Knapp, and the Will's Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, and since 1892 has made a specialty of diseases of the eye and ear. He is secretary of the Oneida County Medical Society, a member and formerly treasurer of the Utica Medical Library Association, a member and ex-president of the Utica Medical Club, a member of Faxton Lodge F. & A.M., and the Masonic Club, and a member of the medical staffs of St. Elizabeth's and Faxton Hospitals and the Masonic Home. August 26, 1887, he married Mary, daughter of Dr. J.G. Parshall, of Cooperstown, N.Y., who died December 8, 1892, leaving one son, Stuart. May 6, 1896, he married, second, Anna J., daughter of Dr. George Seymour, of Utica. (p. 358) [Top]