FARDETT, SOLOMON, was born in Vermont in 1853, son of Francis Fardett, a native of France, who was a sailor in early life and came to Vermont in 1830 where he engaged in ship building. In 1855 he removed to Port Edward, Washington county, where he conducted a dry dock, and was engaged in building canal boats for twenty years; from there he removed to Saratoga county and later to Forestport. He married Aurelia, daughter of Emanuel Robarge, a native of Canada, by whom he had nine children: Aurelia, Mary, Julius, Joseph, Josephine, Clementine, John, Solomon and David. Mrs. Fardett died in 1863, and Mrs. Fardette in 1888, at the age of eighty-three. [Note: The previous sentences is typed as it appears in the original work; one of the date mentioned is undoubtedly for Mr. Fardett.] Solomon Fardett at the age of twelve began to work in a saw mill, and went to school winters; at eighteen he engaged in carpenter work with his brother and later as a millwright. In 1873 he came to Forestport and has erected all the saw mills in the town since that time. He was also a contractor and builder, and in 1893 erected the mill for the Forestport Lumber Company. He then engaged as foreman of the mill, which position he now holds. He served as constable for several terms. In 1871 he married Mary, daughter of William Elthorpe of Forestport, by whom he has eight children: Bertha, Frank, Maud, Fred, Sarah, Grace, Cecil and Venetia. (p. 207-208) [Top]

FARGO, ORRIN S., was born in Chittenango, Madison county, N,Y., in 1847. He was educated in the district schools, and has followed the canal all his life in connection with farming. September 6, 1869, he married Eliza Cooley, of the town of Verona, who was born in Germany, by whom he had one daughter, Laura E., who married William A. Wright, of New London, N. Y., and they have two children: O. Leroy and Beulah I. Mr. Fargo's father, Simon Fargo, was born in New Hartford, Conn., in 1814, and came to Madison county when a young man. He married Jerusha Thompson, of Clockville, Madison county, N. Y., by whom he had seven children: Clinton, Maryette, Jerusha, Orrin S., as above, Edward, George, and Alice. Mrs. Fargo died about 1856. Mrs. Fargo's father, Simon Cooley, was born at the old home in Germany, in 1817. He married Eva D. Manuel, of his native place, by whom he had nine children, all of whom are dead except Mrs. Fargo. The family came to the United States in 1852. Mr. Wright is a member of New London Lodge, No. 420, F. & A. M. The ancestry of the family is of English and German extraction. (p. 266-267) [Top]

FARLEY, GEORGE R., was born in Prospect, N. Y., December 3, 1840, son of Darius and Ann Farley, she is a daughter of Richard and Ann Jones, and a granddaughter of Richard Jones, familiarly known as Priest Jones, who settled in Trenton about 1800. Darius Farley was a son of Rev. John and Susan Farley, who settled in Prospect about 1825. He was a farmer, and his children were John C., George R., Horace O., deceased, and Julius, deceased. George R. Farley married Jennie, daughter of James and Mary Roberts, by whom he had two children: Frank, deceased and Mabel. August 9, 1862, Mr. Farley enlisted as a private in Co. F, 117th Regt., and was discharged as a sergeant December 31, 1864. He was wounded at Chapin's Farm. He is a charter member and commander of Thomas Post, No. 39, which position he held for eight years. He is also member of Trenton Lodge, I. O. O. F., and I. O. R. M., No. 221 Prospect. He was supervisor of the town of Trenton for three years. (p. 11) [Top]

FARNSWORTH, THERON A., one of Camden's prominent business men, was born in Hermon, St. Lawrence county, September 18, 1851. His early life was spent on the farm, and at the age of fourteen moved into the village, where he was educated in the common school of that place and Lowville Academy. Since leaving school he has been in the mercantile and manufacturing business, and is well known in Northern New York. He became a manufacturer of post-office supplies in 1882, which business he now superintends for the Corbin Cabinet Lock Company, in their branch factory at Camden. In politics Mr. Farnsworth is a Republican, and has held several government appointments; was president of the village of Camden in 1893, and is now serving a second term. He is a member of the Masonic, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Royal Arcanum Lodges in Camden. (p. 50) [Top]

FERRIS, REYNOLDS, was born in Otsego county, N. Y., February 27, 1816, son of Zadock Ferris, who was also born in Otsego county, where he resided until his death. He married Polly Houcks. Reynolds Ferris is one of six children, and started for himself when ten years of age. He learned the mason's trade, which he followed for several years, after which he engaged in farming, and also worked on the Chenango Canal, but now lives retired in the village of Franklin, in the house where he worked as a mechanic over fifty years ago. He married Lucy M. Smith, of Marshall, February 15, 1843. (p. 81) [Top]

FERRIS, TIMOTHY HARVEY, one of the most energetic of the younger members of the bar of the city of Utica, was born in the town of Russia, Herkimer county, N. Y., September 4, 1871, son of Charles S. and Gertrude (Terry) Ferris. He was educated at the district school in Russia and at Prospect village school, but at the age of fourteen he was compelled to give up his studies on account of ill health, and worked on his father's farm for a time. During the winter of 1888-89 he took a course in banking and bookkeeping at the Utica Business College. He taught the district school at Russia for two terms in 1889. In January, 1890, he commenced the study of law in the office of Charles G. Irish, where he remained for a year and a half, during a portion of which time he acted as assistant secretary of the Merchants' & Manufacturers' Exchange. He afterward pursued his legal studies with Dunmore & Sholes, and was admitted as an attorney and counselor in February, 1893. The following March Mr. Ferris was taken in as partner, and the firm became Dunmore, Sholes & Ferris. September 1, 1895, he organized the N. E. White Company, of Utica, N. Y., wholesale grocers, feed, grain, and produce dealers, with a capital stock of $25,000, and was made its president which position he still occupies. His father having died he also manages the home farm at Russia. Mr. Ferris takes a keen interest in politics, and was a member of the Democratic County Committee of 1894. In 1895 he ran for State Senator in the Utica district as an Independent Democrat. He is unmarried. (p. 92)[Top]

FERRIS, V. SEAMAN, was born in the town of Flushing, Queens county, N.Y., March 4, 1841. He was partly educated there and afterward in Brooklyn. In early life he was a clerk, then engaged in the lumber business on his father's land in Hamilton county for twelve years, afterwards in Herkimer county for eleven years, and then came to this town. December 28, 1868, he married Alma J. Miller, formerly of Herkimer county, by whom he had two sons: Jesse S., a clerk at Verona Station with Hugh H. Miller, a merchant of that place; and Eugene B., a farmer at home. John M. Ferris, father of V. Seaman, was born in Westchester county, N.Y., in 1794. He was educated there, and was a boat owner and a lumberman. He married Elizabeth U. Powell, by whom he had five children: Anna, George P., John T., V. Seaman, and Esther P. Mr. Ferris died in 1861, and his wife in 1846. Nicholas Miller, father of Mrs. Ferris, was born in Herkimer county, N.Y., in 1809. He was educated there, and was a sawyer by occupation. He married Angeline Barker, of his native place, by whom he had nine children: Peter, Daniel H., John H., Almira, Joseph, Arceolia, Hugh H., and Ellen M. Mr. Miller died in June, 1864. The ancestry of the family is English and Dutch. (p. 327-328) [Top]

FINN, E. L., is a native of Waterville, Oneida county, N.Y., and for five years has successfully conducted a popular meat business, which was established by his father seventeen years ago. Henry Finn, father of E. L., was a native of England, and he died in 1890. He married Mary Lindsley. E.L. Finn is a member of the Masonic fraternity, both the Blue Lodge and Chapter. He has held several offices in the order. (p. 313) [Top]

FISHER, G. M., M. D., was born in Johnstown, N. Y., April 6, 1868, son of Henry and Lenora (Yager) Fisher, of Newport, where the doctor spent twenty years of his life. His grandfather, Rev. George Fisher, was an Englishman. He was born in 1805, and came to America when an infant. George Fisher, the doctor's grandfather, also an Englishman, served under Lord Nelson, and was with him when he was killed. He came to this country and settled in Utica, N. Y. Dr. Fisher was educated at Colgate University, and Albany Medical College, from which institution he was graduated in 1892. He then became assistant to K. H. Bissel of Troy for one year; and in 1893 he came to Clayville. He is a member of the Oneida County Medical Society, and also the Rensselaer County Medical Society. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, Sauquoit Lodge. (p. 254) [Top]

FISK, J.W., was born at Boonville, in 1819, and has always resided here. He is the son of James Fisk, who is closely identified with the early settlement of Oneida county, and who came to Boonville from Rhode Island in 1800. J. W. Fisk at the present writing, is the oldest inhabitant of this place. The first thirty-five years of his life was spent in farming, but in 1858 he established a mercantile business opposite the Hulbert House. He has now been engaged in the grocery business thirty-seven years, and came to his present locality in 1883. In 1846 he married Emily H. Pitcher, of Boonville, by whom he had three children: Ursula, wife of Suott M. Cook, a clergyman of an Episcopal church in New York; Erford E., in grocery business here; and Roseltha Gertrude, who died in 1894, at forty-five years of age, wife of Daniel Dorn of Ava. He married for his second wife, Sarah A. Pitcher, by whom he has one son, Dwight D. Fisk. (p. 179) [Top]

FISKE, HON. L. W., was born at Boonville, in 1835, son of John M. Fiske, and a grandson of Jeremiah Fiske, of the widely known Rhode Island family. After acquiring a good academic education at Worcester and Fairfield, he entered the law office of George W. Smith, where diligent application and inherent ability resulted in admission to the bar, October 4, 1860, and the establishment of an extensive practice at Boonville. He went to the front with Company D of the 146th Regiment in August, 1862, but exposure and hardship resulted in disability and almost total deafness: an unfortunate handicap for his talent as an attorney. In 1866, Mr. Fiske was elected to the Assembly, where he acquitted himself to the credit of himself and satisfaction of his constituents. The late Roscoe Conkling was an intimate personal friend of Mr. Fiske. In local affairs, he has taken an active place in village government; in establishment of the N. Y. State Soldier's Home; in the administration of the Grand Army organization; and a librarian of the Erwin Library. (p. 11) [Top]

FITCH, A. L., was born in Westmoreland, August 20, 1856, son of E. R. and Jane L. Fitch. E. R. Fitch was born in Westmoreland, April 25, 1805, where he engaged in farming until his death, February 20, 1888. Mrs. Jane L. Fitch was born in Canaan, Conn., and is still living on the old homestead in Westmoreland. A. L. Fitch was educated partly in Westmoreland and partly in Clinton, and then engaged in farming, at which he has since continued and has one of the largest and best farms in the township. Mr. Fitch married Elizabeth Rose of Westmoreland. He is a prominent Democrat, and the present postmaster of Westmoreland, having been appointed by President Cleveland. (p. 141) [Top]

FITCH, BORDMAN L., son of James H., was born in Utica, November 12, 1860, and received a good public school education. His father came to Utica from Salem, Washington county, N.Y., and is engaged in the manufacture of shoe specialties. After leaving school Mr. Fitch remained with his father until 1884, when he joined with George Ehrsam in forming the firm of Ehrsam & Fitch, which has since carried on one of the leading merchant tailoring establishments in the city. (p. 343) [Top]

FITCH, NORMAN, was born in the town of Verona, N. Y., November 7, 1807. He was educated in the schools of that day, and has always been a farmer. In 1872 he married Keziah Joslyn, of this town, by whom he had four children: Harrison E., Jesse B., Eliza M., and Eunice F. Jesse B. married Louise Brandon, and they have one daughter, Fannie E. Eunice F. died at seventeen years of age. Mrs. Fitch died in 1839, and for his second wife Mr. Fitch married Lena M. Young, of this town, by whom he had two children: N. Warner, and Fannie E., who married George Kozenstein, of this town, but are now residents of Hancock, Delaware county, N. Y. Mr. Fitch's father, Nathaniel Fitch, was born in Windham county, Conn., in 1779, and was educated there. He married Asenath Brown, by whom he had four children: Eliza, who died in infancy, Norman, as above, Maria, and Jesse B. The three last were born here. The family came to this State and town in 1807, where they erected a log house. Nathaniel Fitch was assessor and supervisor of the town, also member of assembly. He died in 1865, and his wife in 1846. Mrs. Fitch's father, Peter Young, was born in Alsace, France, in 1796. He was educated in their schools, and married Lena Bowers, of his native place. They came to the United States in 1830 and located in the town of Verona. They had seven children, one of whom died in infancy; Lena M., as above, Michael, George, Elizabeth (who were born in Alsace, France), Margaret, and Peter. Mr. Young died in 1866, and his wife in 1864. The ancestry of the family is English and French. (p. 127) [Top]

FITZGERALD, EDWARD Fitzgerald, Edward, was born in St. Johnsville, Montgomery county, N. Y., in June, 1839. His parents were born in Ireland, and came to the United States in 1830 and first settled in Albany, whence they came to Utica, and in 1840 to the town of Florence. Mr. Fitzgerald was a farmer by occupation and cleared a farm of about one hundred acres, where he resided until his death. Edward Fitzgerald is one of. five children. He acquired a good education and taught school in the town of Florence for several years and is a farmer by occupation, now owning a farm of ninety acres. He married Hannah, daughter of David Barry of Seneca county, N. Y., and to them have been born ten children: Ella, Maud J., Lulu E., Katie B., Mary A., Margaret T., Agnes L., Grace B., Evangeline, and Edward, jr. Politically Mr. Fitzgerald is a Democrat, and in 1871 was elected supervisor of the town, which office he held for nine years, was collector for two years, and has held the office of justice since 1891, and was re-elected justice March, 1896, for the term of four years; he has also held the office of inspector of election for several years. He has held some town office every year since he became a voter. (p. 97) [Top]

FLANAGAN, JAMES HENRY, was born at West Vienna, December 23, 1854, son of Peter and Mary E. Flanagan. He married Martha Ann, a daughter of Willard Teeling, and to them have been born three children: Irma, Ida, and Thomas J. James Henry has followed boat building and farming the greater part of his life. In 1874 and 1875 he was elected town clerk, and in 1875 he represented the 3d Oneida District in the Assembly, and in 1885 he was elected supervisor, which office he has held to the present time. In 1889 he was nominated for State senator, and in 1892 he was appointed assistant superintendent of public works, which position he held for over three years. At present he is a member of the State Democratic Committee of the 25th Congressional District. He is a member of Vienna F. & A. M., No. 440, also of Sylvan Beach I.O.O.F. (p. 175) [Top]

FLANDERS, THOMAS, was born in Vermont, October 23, 1841, one of ten children of Moses and Maria (Towle) Flanders, of Vermont. Thomas Flanders has resided in this town and Vienna since 1865, and now owns a farm of 100 acres in the town of Annsville, and runs a dairy of thirty cows. In 1861, he enlisted in the 8th Vt. Vols., served for a period of four years, and was engaged in the battles of Cedar Creek, at the siege of Port Hudson, and the battle of Winchester. He married Jane, daughter of George Husted, by whom he has two children: Myrtle and George. Mr. Flanders is a member of Ballard Post, G. A. R., No. 551, of which he was officer of the day for three years, and is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is a Republican.(p. 50) [Top]

FLINT, JAMES H. Flint, James H., was born in Ava, December 6, 1857, son of Peter A., who was born in Montgomery county, N. Y., January 8, 1820, and Catherine (Walradt) Flint, a native of Otsego county. His grandparents, John R. and Lana (Yerdon) Flint, were both natives of Montgomery county; and his great-grandparents, Robert C. and Mary (Bartlett) Flint, were pioneers of Montgomery county, and they spent their last days on the Flint homestead in Ava. John R. came to Ava in 1841 and bought a farm of 370 acres, and he died in March, 1891, at the age of ninety-four, and his wife died in 1885, at the age of eighty-five. Peter A. Flint was reared on the farm and has made farming his principal occupation; but having united with the Methodist Episcopal church in 1851, he was given license to preach in that church, has been local minister since. He sold his farm of 180 acres to his son in 1895 and has retired. He has been supervisor for several years, and assessor for nine years. In 1882 James Flint married Amelia E. Pohl, by whom he has one son, Clarence, who was born September 25, 1883. Mr. Flint commenced farming in Lewis county, and in 1887 he rented the farm of 213 acres of Sarah A. Wood, in Ava, and has a dairy of thirty to thirty-five cows. He also has the homestead farm of 182 acres, where he keeps twenty-two cows. In politics he is a Democrat, and has been excise commissioner, and is now assessor. (p. 98) [Top]

FLUME, FRANK V., son of George and Mary Flume, was born in Baden, Germany March 8, 1843, and came to America with his parents in 1849. The family first settled in Schoharie county, but moved thence to Montgomery county about 1858. There his father died in 1862. His mother resides in Fort Plain, N.Y. Mr. Flume was educated in the public schools and first engaged in farming and later in a saw mill. In 1878 he removed to Utica and became a clerk in the grocery store of J. Parker's Sons, with whom he remained three and one-half years. He then learned the carpenter's trade, which he has since followed. He was one of the first members of the carpenter's union and served as its secretary for a short time. September 15, 1870, he married Angeline, daughter of Frederick and Naomi (Dunster) Martin, of Tenterdon, county Kent, England. They have one son, Truman Frederick, born August 3, 1871, and now engaged in the insurance business in Rochester, N. Y. (p. 365) [Top]

FOOTE, JOHN B., was born in the town of Westmoreland, May 3, 1841, son of John B. Foote, who was born in North Adams, Mass., in 1807, and came to the town of Westmoreland in the year 1835, where he continued to make it his home. He was a graduate of Williams College, in Massachusetts, and then studied theology under Dr. Kirk, after which for some time he traveled, preaching holiness. He married Mary Patton, by whom he had these children: John B., Mary E., Samuel G., Adeline L. and Noyes, a namesake of the founder of the Oneida Community, he being a personal friend of the father. John B. Foote, jr., was educated in Westmoreland and the Clinton Liberal Institute, after which he engaged in farming, owning a dairy in connection with his farm, and is at the present time president of the Kirkland Creamery Company. He enlisted in 1862 in the 117th N. Y. Vols., Co. C, serving until the close of the war. He married Gertrude, daughter of O.W. Dodge, of Vernon, by whom he has three children: Orville D, Clayton E., and Louise D. Mr. Foote is a member of the G. A. R. Post, No. 227 and grange. (p. 124) [Top]

FOOTE, SAMUEL G., was born in Westmoreland, February 8, 1849, son of John B. and Mary P. Foote. John R. Foote was born in North Adams, Mass., February 10, 1807, and died January 24, 1870. He was educated at Williams College, Mass., and was a minister prior to his settlement in Westmoreland, where he came in 1839. Mrs. Foote was born in 1805 and died July 30, 1888. She came to Westmoreland when she was four years old, and lived here seventy-nine years. Samuel G. Foote was educated in Clinton, and then engaged in farming on the old homestead. His grandfather, Aaron Foote, was the inventor of the original threshing machine, from which the great modern improvements in this line have sprung. (p. 266) [Top]

FOSTER, BURTON G., was born May 15, 1838, in Greenville, Greene county, N. Y., and was educated in the public schools and Greenville Academy, coming to this part of the State in 1867, where he conducted a stock farm of choice blooded Ayershire and Jersey cattle. December 8, 1869, he married Estelle Silvernail, of Oneida Valley, N. Y., by whom he had five children: Nellie M., Burton G., jr., Homer B., Theodore and John H. Mr. Foster's father, Theodore Foster, was born in Westerlo, Albany county, N. Y., December 28, 1797. He was of New England or Connecticut stock. He was educated in the schools of his day, and was a blacksmith and farmer by occupation, and a member of the Presbyterian church. April 18, 1833, he married Maria Moore, of Rensselaerville, Albany county, by whom he had three children: Joseph, Benjamin and Burton G., as above. Mr. Foster died in April, 1877, and his wife August 10, 1880. Burton G. Foster's grandfather, Apollos Moore, came from Pittsfield, Mass., and settled near Rensselaerville in 1785, coming on foot while his wife rode a horse that cost five dollars, as stated in an old directory of Albany county, carrying with them all their worldly goods. Mr. Moore afterwards became justice of the peace, supervisor, and was the first judge of Albany county, an office he held until he was nearly seventy years old. He had a store on his farm, also a large flouring mill in the village; also was a foremost member of the Episcopal church. He was an officer in the Revolutionary war, enlisting when sixteen years of age, and served till the close of the war; he also served in the war of 1812. He died in 1840, aged seventy-six years. Mr. Foster's father, John H. Silvernail, was born in Columbia county, N. Y., September 30, 1817. He married Helen Johnson, by whom he had eight children: Homer, Estelle, Alfred J., Bradish, Mary, Henry, John H. and Helen. He died January 13, 1886, and his wife July 18, 1885. The family are of New England stock. Mr. Foster is now a farmer and horse breeder of first-class trotting stock, at his farm, Oneida stock farm, one mile east of Oneida, N. Y. He has a horse of the Electioneer and Wilkes blood of Senator Stanford's California breed. He has been a resident of Verona five years. He is a member of Oneida Lodge No. 270, F. & A. M., and in politics a Republican. (p. 260) [Top]

FOSTER, ELLEN M.--Charles Foster was born in Southampton, L.I., in 1797, and was educated in the schools of that day. He was a tanner and shoemaker in early life, and afterward a farmer. He came to Oneida county when twenty-three years of age. He married Rhoda Snow, of Sandisfield, Berkshire county, Mass., by whom he had nine children: Charles S., Mary S., William A., deceased, Ellen M., as above, an infant daughter not named, James J., George A., William H., and Edward S. George A. graduated from Ann Arbor University, Michigan, as an attorney at law. He enlisted in the 44th, Colonel Ellsworth's regiment and participated in the Seven Days fight in the battle of the Wilderness, was promoted as captain in a colored regiment, was honorably discharged at the close of the war, and is now a resident of Chicago. Edward S. also enlisted in Company C, 117th N.Y. Vols., and was in the Army of the Potomac. He died in Virginia, July 21, 1863, and was buried in the Hampton National Cemetery. Mr. Foster died November 3, 1858, and his wife December 26, 1879. Christopher Foster, styled farmer in the shipping list, embarked in London, June 17, 1635, in the Abigail, and moved to Southampton in 1651. (p. 145) [Top]

FOSTER, NATHANIEL W., was born on the homstead [sic], near Durhamville, N.Y., May 10, 1832, and was educated in the public schools and Clinton Liberal Institute. He has been a salesman on the road several years, but is now a farmer and horse breeder. December 15, 1862, he married Lucy Clark, of Verona, by whom he had one son, Frank C. Mrs. Foster died in 1866, and March 18, 1874, he married Rebecca Smith, of Litchfield, Herkimer county. December 22, 1886, Frank C. Foster married Anna M. Currin, by whom he had two daughters: Lucy M., and Evelina M. Mr. Foster's father, Franklin Foster, was born in Herkimer county, N.Y., January 30, 1805, and in October, 1829, he married Maria Segar, of New York Mills, and they came here in January, 1830. They had three children: Nathaniel W., as above, Mary S., and Elnora, who died in infancy. Three of the Foster brothers came here into the primeval forest, where wild beasts were plenty; two of them were contractors (Julius and Orson), and erected the trestle on the N.Y.C. & H.R.R., at Oneida, and were the pioneer contractors on the N.Y.E. & W. Railroad near Elmira. Frank Foster died in 1878, and his wife in 1876. His grandfather, Nathaniel Foster, was born in 1788, and his great-grandfather, Timothy Foster, in 1749. Johan, son of Josiah, was born on Long Island, February 7, 1721. (p. 332) [Top]

FOSTER, MRS. THEODOSIA M.--She married James H. Foster, son of Charles, and they had two sons: Edward Snow, who was educated in the Home School and Hamilton College, and is at present residing upon and managing the home farm; and James Henry, who was graduated from Hamilton College, class of '95, being first prize debater and first classical scholar, and is now Latin professor in Wabash, Ind. Mr. Foster died a few years after their marriage. Mrs. Foster is the author of several published volumes, and is known to the public as "Faye Huntington." Daniel D. Toll, Mrs. Foster's father, was born in 1812, and was educated in Whitestown Seminary when it was known as Oneida Institute. He married Ruth H., daughter of Samuel Hills, who settled in the eastern part of the town early in the century. They had four children: Theodosia M., Eunice H., Alida S., and Adeline F. Eunice H. has had remarkable success as a teacher and for several years has been associated with her sister, Mrs. Foster, in the well and favorably known institution, The Home School. For a few years the school was located at New Hartford, but since 1883 in the home of the Toll family. The third daughter married Frank Everett, of Sharon, Conn., and their children were Edward, Ruth, Daisy (deceased), Harriet, Richard F. and Frank W. The oldest son resides in Sharon, Conn. Mr. Everett is dead and Mrs. Everett resides with her sisters and their father, who is eighty-four years old. His wife died in 1890. The fourth daughter, Adeline F., married Henry Velie Clark, of Rochester, N. Y. She died in 1892. The family have resided on the homestead since 1815, Simon De Witt Toll being the first to settle here. He was the son of Daniel and Susan (Switz) Toll, and was born in Albany in 1780. He married Susan Conde, a native of Schenectady county, the granddaughter of Adam Conde, a French Huguenot who fled to Holland on account of religious persecution and emigrated to America in the sixteenth century, settling at Schenectady. He was of the family of the "Princes of Conde" and was himself known as the "Chevalier." The Tolls descended from Karl Hansen Toll, who was of Norwegian descent, but came to America from Holland in the latter part of the sixteenth century and settled at Schenectady, the family being for several generations among the most noted for wealth and influence in that region. Of the eleven children of Daniel Toll and Susan Conde only two are living, Daniel D. and Parthenia Ogden, wife of A. C. McDannald, of Central College, Ohio. The first of the Fosters was one Christopher, on the shipping list as a farmer when he embarked at London, June 17, 1635, in the ship Abigail. The Snows (maternal ancestors of James H. Foster) came in 1622, and the Hopkins whom this Snow ancestor married came in the Mayflower. (p. 230) [Top]

FOSTER, WILLIAM S., president of the Foster Brothers Manufacturing Company of Utica, was born in Durhamville, Oneida county, February 15, 1848, and is the fifth of six sons of Orson Foster, a native of Litchfield, Conn., born in June, 1809. Orson Foster lived in Clinton, N.Y., during his youthful life, and about 1835 settled in Durhamville. He was a farmer, millwright, and contractor, prominent in local affairs, and served two terms as supervisor. He died in Utica in February, 1893. He married Dulina A. Smith, of Verona, whose death occurred in 1891. Their children were Albert N., deceased, Oscar S., of Utica; Charles M., deceased; Theodore, of Utica; William S., of Utica; and Niles H., of St. Louis, Mo. William S. Foster conducted his father's farm for a time. His brother, Oscar S., had become a partner and finally sole owner of the furniture manufacturing business of C.T. Segar & Co., in Utica, which was originally established by Mr. Segar in a building on John street in 1871. In January, 1881, William S. Foster purchased a half interest in the concern under the firm name of C.S. Foster & Brother, which in 1885 was changed to Foster Brothers. In April, 1892, the establishment was incorporated with a capital of $70,000, and adopted the present style of the Foster Brothers Manufacturing Company with William S. Foster as president and Oscar S. Foster as secretary and treasurer. January 1, 1888, the concern occupied its present plant on Broad street, and in the fall of 1893 the manufacture of iron beds, brass trimmed, was commenced. Prior to that the business had been confined to the manufacture of springs and spring beds, woven wire cots, cribs, etc. Now all these articles are manufactured on a large scale and about seventy-five hands are employed, the trade extending throughout the United States. They are also interested in the Foster Brothers Manufacturing Company of Baltimore, Md., of which Oscar S. is president; the Foster Brothers Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, of which Oscar S. is president and Niles H. is secretary and treasurer; and is also interested in the Rome Metallic Bedstead Company of Rome, N.Y. (p. 304-305) [Top]

FOWLER, WILLIAM H. JR., was born at Trenton, Oneida county, N. Y., June 13, 1830. His father, William H. Fowler, was born at Fairfield, Conn., November 8, 1801, and died at Little Falls, N. Y., April 17, 1896. In 1827 he removed to Trenton, N. Y. In 1832 he moved to Cold Brook, Herkimer county, N. Y., where he carried on a furniture and undertaking business for fifty years. In 1829 while in Connecticut he married Mary Ives of New Haven, who was born in 1803, and died in Cold Brook in December, 1881. William H., jr., was educated in the common school in Cold Brook, where he lived until twenty-three years of age; from which place he went to Poland, Herkimer county, and was manager of the Union store, a position he held for twelve successive years. December 25, 1857, he was married to Mary M. Slocum, daughter of Sidney Slocum of Cold Brook. In 1866 Mr. Fowler moved to Trenton, N. Y., where he became associated with Levi Wheaten, under the firm name of Wheaton & Fowler, dealers in general merchandise, and remained until 1870, when he settled at Oriskany Falls, N. Y., where he has since resided and is now engaged in the general merchandise trade. Mr and Mrs. Fowler have three children: Frank S., born January 31, 1861; Ruth Ives, born March 30, 1866; and Nettle E., born December 3, 1872. Frank S. is engaged with his father in business, and October 15, 1884, he married Anna Louisa Root, of Madison, N. Y. April 19 Ruth Ives married Clifton C. Newell, of Oriskany Falls. Mr. Fowler has been identified with the Prohibition party for the past ten years. (p. 259) [Top]

FOX, HENRY, was born in Marcy, Oneida county, September 20, 1830, son of Abraham and Nancy (Vanderwarker) Fox, natives of Connecticut and Oneida county, N. Y. respectively, grandson of Abraham Fox, son of Abraham Fox, who settled on Tug Hill, Lewis county, N. Y. in 1806. His maternal grandfather, John A. Vanderwarker, a native of Schoharie county, N. Y., was a pioneer of Western. Henry Fox was reared in Western from ten years of age, and was educated in the common schools and Whitestown Seminary, and is a basket maker by trade, which he has followed more or less for forty years in connection with farming, and has lived on the farm he now occupies since 1841. In 1854, he married Polly, daughter of Uriah Fitch, of Steuben, by whom he had three children: Ernest L., an M. E. clergyman of N. Y., Lucy A., and Sylvia F., a city missionary in New York City, since 1889. Mr. Fox married for his second wife, Margaret A., daughter of Jacob Wollaber, of Steuben. Mr. Fox is a member of the M. E. church, of which he is a local preacher, and is politics is a Prohibitionist. (p. 10) [Top]

FOX, WINFIELD M., was born in Jefferson county, N. Y., September 21, 1850, one of nine children born to Elijah and Eliza (Farewell) Fox. He was educated in the schools of Jefferson county, and then engaged in farming, which line he followed until twenty-eight years of age. At this time he engaged in the clothing business at Three Mile Bay, Jefferson county, where he remained four years. He then came to Taberg and engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, which he still conducts. Mr. Fox married Lucy Whiting, of Three Mile Bay, daughter of John C. Whiting. They have two children: Charles W. and Mildred. Mr. Fox has been justice of the peace four years. He is a member of the M. E. church. (p. 166) [Top]

FRAME, WILLIAM L., was born in the town of Trenton, N. Y., October 25, 1858, son of Solomon and Olive (Wheeler) Frame. Solomon Wheeler came from Jefferson county about 1838; he married a daughter of Schuyler Wheeler, who came from Herkimer county about 1800, by whom he had four children: Schuyler, William L. and two infants, deceased. He was a farmer and actively interested in town and county affairs and was a member of the M. E. Church. William L. Frame married Ella, daughter of James Weston, by whom he had four children: George W., Reba, Ethel, and Genivra. He is also a farmer and is master of Trenton Grange No. 635 in which he has been very active, having served as lecturer, treasurer, commercial secretary, etc. (p. 217)

FRANKLIN, JAMES H., was born in Ava, Oneida county, N.Y., September 10, 1828, son of Gilbert and Sarah (Farr) Franklin, he a native of Herkimer county, N.Y. and she of Remsen, Oneida county, N.Y. David Franklin, the great-grandfather of James H., was born in England, emigrated to America prior to the Revolution, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and there died, leaving a widow and three children: James, Wait and Mary Franklin. The grandfather, James Franklin, came from Connecticut to Herkimer county, thence to Remsen, Oneida county, where he died in 1825. The maternal grandparents, Peris and Dolly (Foster) Farr, came from New Hampshire and settled in Remsen where they died. Gilbert Franklin, father of James H., came to Ava in 1826, and settled on the farm now owned by his son. He purchased 154 acres of land, then an unbroken wilderness, and cleared 130 acres. He died in 1854 and his wife died in 1885. James H. was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools. He taught school nine winters, farming summers, and now owns a farm of 192 acres with a dairy of about thirty cows. In 1858 he married Caroline, daughter of David Tuthill of Ava, by whom he had three children: John C., a farmer on the homestead, Ellsworth D., proprietor of a cheese factory at Hillside, N.Y.; Elwin J., who died at twenty-four years of age. Mr. Franklin is a Democrat in politics, has been commissioner of highways and is now assessor of his town. (p. 14) [Top]

FREIBERGER, GEORGE H., was born in Germany in 1840, son of Jacob and Barbara Freiberger. He was a tanner by trade and later engaged in farming; he settled in Westmoreland in 1864. George H. Freiberger came to the United States when six years of age; he enlisted in Co. L., 5th N.Y. Heavy Artillery and participated in Bailey's Heights, Loudon Heights, Charlestown and Winchester, and for disability receives a pension. He married Martha J., daughter of James Holmes, a farmer of New Bremen, Lewis county, N.Y. His parents came from Connecticut when the country was new; there were four children born to them: Ida May, wife of William Joy of Montague, Frank J., George J., and James H. (p. 317) [Top]

FREINBERGER, FRED, was born in Germany, February 2, 1844, son of Jacob and Margaret Freinberger. Jacob Freinberger came to Westmoreland in 1865, where he conducted a farm till the time of his death in 1892. Mrs. Freinberger, his wife, died in 1887. Fred Freinberger was educated in Lewis county, and then came to Westmoreland, and engaged in farming, at which he has since continued. He married Mary Holmes, daughter of James Holmes, of Lewis county, by whom he has three children: William, Harriet and Cora. Harriet is married to Albert Jenkins of Westmoreland. Mr. Freinberger belongs to the Grangers. He has worked his own way in the world, and owns and conducts two fine farms in Westmoreland township. (p. 292) [Top]

FREINBERGER, GEORGE H., was born in Germany, in 1844, son of Jacob and BarbaraFreinberger. Jacob Freinberger was a tanner by trade, and later engaged in farming. He settled in Westmoreland in 1864. George H. Freinberger came to theUnited States about 1850. He enlisted in Company L, 5th N. Y. Heavy Artillery,and participated in the following engagements: Fisher's Hill, Harper's Ferry, Maryland Heights, Bolivar Heights, Loudon Heights, Charlestown, and Winchester.He was wounded and received a pension. He married Martha J., daughter of JamesHolmes, a farmer of New Bremen, Lewis county, by whom he had four children:Ida May, wife of William H. Joy, of Montague. Lewis county, Frank J., George J.,and James H. (p. 292) [Top]

FREINBERGER, JOHN J., was born in Lewis county, N. Y., June 10, 1858, son of Jacob and Barbara Freinberger. John J. was educated in Westmoreland, after which he learned the carpenter trade, which business he followed for many years, but is now extensively engaged in farming. He married Cora Crandall, of Brookfield, by whom he has one child, May A. (p. 294) [Top]

FRENCH, FRANK W., was born at Deansville, N. Y., June 5, 1864, son of Abel W. French, who removed in early life from Chenango county to Deansville and lived there about twenty-five years previous to locating permanently in Augusta. Abel W. French was born January 22, 1828, and died August 17, 1881. His wife was Mary J., a daughter of Caleb Burleson, a prominent farmer of Augusta. She was born March 6, 1838, and is now living in Augusta. Frank W. French was educated at Augusta and Knoxboro Union School. He has a large farm, which he conducts during the summer. He has held the office of town clerk and is now one of the justices of the peace in his town. November 28, 1888, Mr. French married Ada M., daughter of Edward Tudman, who was born in Lowell, Oneida county, N.Y., August 9, 1864. (p. 288-289) [Top]

FRENCH, JAMES G., was born in Whitestown (now New Hartford), Oneida county, November 9, 1823, and is a son of John French, whose birth occurred in the same house about 1798. John French, sr., grandfather of James G., came here with Judge Jedediah Sanger from New Hampshire, and settled in New Hartford, two and one-half miles south of Utica. John, jr., was for many years a prominent citizen and figures largely in the history of the town and vicinity. He died in 1886. His wife was Almira, daughter of Robert Gilmore, another early pioneer of New Hartford, and of their thirteen children eight are living, vis: Mrs. A. J. Lord, Thomas, William M., Henry C., and Daniel, of New Hartford; James G., of Utica; Francis M., of Morehouseville, New York; and Mrs. Abbie Pendergast, of Norwich, N.Y. Another, John, died in 1894. James G. French came to Utica in July, 1839, and was admitted to the bar here in 1847, and practiced his profession successfully until about 1864, when he engaged in the insurance business. In 1866 he accepted a position in the county clerk's office, where he has since remained. (p. 227) [Top]

FRISBIE, CHARLES P., was born in Harwinton, Litchfield county, Conn., October 18, 1830, and came with his parents to this town in 1836, where he was educated in the district schools and Vernon Academy. September 25, 1855, he married Sarah A. Sage, of the town of Verona, N. Y., by whom he had two children: Emily S., and George R. Emily S. married Julian E. Taft, of this town, and they have two children; Charles F., and James. George R. is a resident of Bloomington. Ill., in the employ of the Soper Foundry Factory Company. Mr. Frisbie's father, John Frisbie, was born in Connecticut, in 1797. He was educated in the schools of his day, and was a salesman when a young man, and afterwards, a farmer. He married Hulda Nobles, of his native State, by whom he had ten children: Noble W., Eliza B., Charles P., as above, Mary A., Enos, George W., Henry, John W., who died in infancy, Jeannette, and Caroline. He died in 1847, and his wife March 1, 1889. Mrs. Frisbie's father. Roswell Sage, was born in Massachusetts, September 6, 1789, and was educated there. He was a carpenter and afterwards a farmer. September 12, 1810, he married Mercy Enos, by whom he had five children: Caroline E., Chauncey S., Emily F., Dorliskie, and Sarah A., as above. He served in the war of 1812, and died April 17, 1879, and his wife October 17, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Frisbie are members of the Presbyterian church, of which he was trustee for twelve years. The ancestry of the family is Scotch and English. (p. 88) [Top]

FUESS, L.P., was born in New York city, February 14, 1858, son of Jacob and Johanna (Woerner) Fuess, natives of Bavaria, Germany. He received an academic education, and read law with E.H. Lamb of Waterville, and at Columbia Law School. He was admitted to the bar in March, 1882, since which time he has practiced law in Waterville. He was town clerk for several years and has been justice of the peace. In October, 1883, he married Helen A. Moore of Syracuse. (p. 311) [Top]

FUESS, PHILIP, JR., was born in Annweiler, Bavaria, January 5, 1852. He learned the trade of brewer in the old country, and came to America in 1868, where he engaged in farming, in which he has been very successful. He has resided in this county twenty-seven years, and has been on his present farm twelve years. He has long been regarded as a leading man in Marshall, and was assessor of the town nine years. He was elected supervisor in the spring of 1894, and is at present filling that office. He purchased his present farm when it was in poor shape, and has improved it until it is now one of the finest places in the town. In 1877 he married Maria McGuire, of New York city, by whom he has a family of four sons and one daughter. (p. 242) [Top]

FULLER, ASA O., was born August 3, 1836, in Rome, Oneida county, was the youngest of five children of Orrin I. Fuller, a native of New England, who came to Rome at an early day. Orrin I. Fuller was a farmer and deputy sheriff, and was drowned at Albany by the breaking of a drawbridge in 1840. His children were Mrs. Cordelia Bush, of Utica; John T., who died in California; David, who died in Utica; and Mrs. Jane A. Harvey, and Asa O., of Utica. Asa O. Fuller engaged in butchering for about three years, and then learned the trade of silversmith in Utica. Later he entered the employ of the New York Central Railroad and continued in that capacity for several years or until he lost his right arm and left hand. He subsequently became a contractor on railroads and later engaged in heavy trucking and city express business in Utica, and still continues in both enterprises, carrying on also large contracting interests. He did all the excavating for the New Masonic Home, the Skenandoa Cotton Mills, and Mohawk Valley Mills extension, and also put in the machinery of these two establishments. He is an active Republican. July 19, 1871 he married Mrs. Fannie A. Kellogg, daughter of Tracy Wade, of Utica, and they have four children: Cora, Orrin O., Fannie Amelia, and Lucina. (p. 364-365) [Top]

FULLER, CHARLES Y., was born December 25, 1850, in Schenectady, N.Y., and is a son of Charles and Sarah A. (Lewis) Fuller. Charles Fuller, son of Ebenezer, was born in Schenectady county and was a broom maker by trade, and died in 1857. He was a lineal descendant of Ebenezer Fuller, of the Mayflower. His wife survives him. Her maternal grandfather, Sanborn Ford, was a Revolutionary soldier and was present at Fort Montgomery and the Siege of Yorktown, and witnessed the surrender of Lord Cornwallis. Charles Y. Fuller came to Utica with his mother in 1857, and received his education in the public schools of the city. In 1886 he began learning the stone cutter's trade in Lockport, N.Y., where he remained about seven years. Later he was employed for eleven years on the State capitol at Albany. In 1887 he returned to Utica and in 1888 engaged in cut stone contracting, which he still successfully continues. Among the many buildings he has erected are the Olivet church on Howard avenue, the Church of the Holy Cross on Bleecker street (1893), and St. Patrick's church on Columbia street in Utica, the Parochial school in Little Falls; the Hieber building, Walton High School, Second National Bank building, Oneida Historical building (Munson Williams Memorial), schools Nos. 20 and 21 and the Albany Street school in Utica. He has also erected many other large buildings in Central New York, including numerous fine residences, blocks, etc. He is an active Republican and has been delegate to several local conventions. He is a member of Oneida Lodge [noted as Oriental Lodge on p. 380) No. 244 F. & A.M., of Samuel Reed Lodge, K. of P., and of the Knights of Honor. April 23, 1887, he married Augusta Blumenthal, of Utica, but a native of Germany, and they have three children: George L., Albert B., and Ada C. (p. 365, same biography also on p. 380) [Top]

FULMER, EDGAR J., was born in Iowa, in 1862, son of Robert and Louisa (Schaffer) Williams. His father died in an army hospital, and his mother returned with him, when he was seven months old, to Steuben, where he was adopted by Henry Fulmer, a native of Herkimer county, who was a son of Jacob C. Fulmer, who came to Steuben about 1826, and settled on 400 acres, which he afterwards cleared. He reared ten children and lived to be sixty years of age, and his wife lived to be eighty-eight. Henry Fulmer spent his whole life in Steuben on the homestead farm. He served as commissioner of highways for twenty years. He married Catherine Harter, by whom he had one child, Jacob Henry, who died in December, 1884, at sixteen years of age. Mr. Fulmer's wife survives him, and now resides with Edgar J. on the homestead. Since his death Edgar J. has operated the farm of 188 acres, and has since bought another farm of fifty acres. He keeps twenty cows, and makes dairying a specialty, and is also interested in the raising of fine sheep. He has served his town as collector, school clerk and filled other minor offices. In 1887 he married Carrie Wollaber, daughter of George H. and Catherine Witherstine, of Steuben, by whom he has two children: Clarence and Lena Joy. Mr. and Mrs. Fulmer are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which Mr. Fulmer is steward and trustee. (p. 211) [Top]