Oneida County, New York Biographies

From Our County and Its People, Part III: Family Sketches
by Daniel E. Wager. (The Boston History Company, 1896.)

Name Index: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Biographies: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Search this Site | Return to Welcome Page

GAINSWAY, PHILIP A., was born in the town of Boonville, in 1864, son of Philip Gainsway, who was horn in Baden, Germany, in 1825, one of three children born to Joseph Gainsway, who was a carpenter by trade. Philip Gainsway, father of Philip A., was also a carpenter by trade, who came to America in 1855 and plied his trade in Utica for several years, later removed to Boonville, where he became interested in Republican politics, filled several town offices, and was assessor for twelve years. In 1878 he removed to Remsen, where he rented a farm, which his sons conducted while he plied his trade. He married Magdaline Plater, by whom he had seven children: Emma, Joseph, Bertha, Henry H., Philip, Mary, and Frank E. He died in June, 1886, but his wife still survives him and resides in Remsen. Philip A. was educated in the district schools, and after the death of his father took charge of the farm, which he has operated ever since, conducting a large dairy of thirty-five cows. He has interested himself in the political welfare of his town, and has served three years as constable; in the fall of 1894 he was elected delegate to the Republican District Convention held in Utica; he executed the duties of this office so satisfactorily that his townsmen saw fit to elect him to the same office in August, 1895. the convention held in Rome. In 1889 he married Sarah A Pugh, who was born in Remsen, a daughter of Richard and Jane (Jones) Pugh, now prominent in the town of Steuben. (p. 183) [Top]

GALLAGHER, JAMES, JR., was born in Forestport, May 19, 1855, son of James Gallagher, who was born in Ireland, in 1825, and came to Forestport in 1845, where he now resides on a farm; he married Mary Gallagher, a native of Ireland, by whom he has seven children: John, James, Frank, Henry, Anna, Mary and Sarah E. James Gallagher jr. began life for himself when he was twenty-one years of age, by working in the woods, and also owned two boats, which he conducted until 1888, when he disposed of them, and erected a saw mill on Black River in the town of Wilmurt, where he manufactured hard wood lumber for five years; in 1895, he erected his present mill, where he has been actively engaged in cutting pulp wood and manufacturing lumber, and he now owns 3,000 acres of timber land in the Adirondacks, and ships on the average of one boat load consisting of forty cords a day. In 1885, he married Mary Ella, daughter of Michael and Catherine Donovan of Ireland, and they have five children: Elizabeth, Maud, Jennie Frances, Ellen Cecelia, Margaret Allena, and Charles Austin. (p. 11) [Top]

GAMBLE, FREDERICK S., was born in the town of Camden, July 31, 1861. His father, James H. Gamble, came to Camden about 1850, where he was a merchant for many years, and was also postmaster of this village for thirteen years. Frederick S. is a graduate of Camden Academy, and has been in the boot and shoe business for sixteen years, the firm being known as J. H. Gamble & Son. He married Jennie E. Mann, of Camden, by whom he had five children: Etta, Sherry, Carl, Frederick, and Mary. Mr. Gamble is a Republican in politics, and has held the offices of water commissioner, trustee of the village, also treasurer. He is a member of K. of P., and Americam Mechanics. (p. 176) [Top]

GAMMEL, GEORGE W., was born in Utica February 22, 1862, and is a son of Robert Gammel, who was born in Germany April 21, 1822, came to Utica in 1853, and died here February 13, 1895. Robert established the present restaurant business of his son in 1860. He had come to America in 1848 because of the German revolution, in which he was an active patriot. He married Emile Baruschkey, who was born in Germany January 1, 1823, and of their twelve children four are living, viz: Charles, George W., and Mrs. Will H. Roberts, of Utica, and Robert W., of Cleveland, Ohio. Charles served for two years in the war of the Rebellion as a member of the 11th N. Y. Cav. His brother, William, enlisted at the age of fourteen in C. H. 146th N. Y. Vols., being the youngest man to enlist from Oneida county, and was killed at the battle of White Oak Swamp in 1865, after serving gallantly for two and one half years. George W. Gammel was reared in his father's business and in 1880 became his partner under the firm name of Robert Gammel & Son. In 1883 the Senior member retired and since then he has continued the business alone. He is a member of the Elks, I. O. O. F., Order of Harrugari, the German Literary Society, the Utica Turn Verein, the Maennechor, and the German Mutual Benvolent Association. In 1893 he married Phebe, daughter of John Z. Brown, of Frankfort, N.Y. (p. 351) [Top]

GAMMEL, GEORGE W., was born in Utica February 22, 1862, and is a son of Robert Gammel, who was born in Germany April 21, 1822, came to Utica in 1853, and died here February 13, 1895. Robert established the present restaurant business of his son in 1860. He had come to America in 1848 because of the German revolution, in which he was an active patriot. He married Emile Baruschkey, who was born in Germany January 1, 1823, and of their twelve children four are living, viz: Charles, George W., and Mrs. Will H. Roberts, of Utica, and Robert W., of Cleveland, Ohio. Charles served for two years in the war of the Rebellion as a member of the 11th N. Y. Cav. His brother, William, enlisted at the age of fourteen in C. H. 146th N. Y. Vols., being the youngest man to enlist from Oneida county, and was killed at the battle of White Oak Swamp in 1865, after serving gallantly for two and one half years. George W. Gammel was reared in his father's business and in 1880 became his partner under the firm name of Robert Gammel & Son. In 1883 the Senior member retired and since then he has continued the business alone. He is a member of the Elks, I. O. O. F., Order of Harrugari, the German Literary Society, the Utica Turn Verein, the Maennechor, and the German Mutual Benvolent Association. In 1893 he married Phebe, daughter of John Z. Brown, of Frankfort, N.Y. (p. 351) [Top]

GARDNER, MRS. O. S.,--The late Orson S. Gardner was born in Sauquoit, N. Y., July 1, 1820, son of Asa and Dorothy Gardner. Orson S. came to New York Mills when sixteen years of age. He worked a short time in Rochester, and then returned to New York Mills, where he was in the employ of the mills for many years, and was one of its most faithful and esteemed employees. He was an attendant of the Methodist Episcopal church, and was a Republican in politics. He was also a member of the Oriental Lodge F. & A. M., Oneida chapter, and Yahnundahsis Lodge. He was a thirty-second degree Mason and was highly respected. He married Eleanor Manning, who survives him with two children: M. Eleanora and Frederick A. (p. 237) [Top]

GARDNER, RICHARD H., was born in the town of Florence, Oneida county, July 14, 1842, son of Peter Gardner, who was born in England, and came to the United States in 1830. He was a minister of the gospel, and continued to live in the town of Florence up to his death. He married Margaret Little, by whom he had nine children. Richard H. was educated in the towns of Florence and Camden. He learned the carpenter's trade when a boy, which he still follows. In 1885 he established a sash and door factory in Camden, known as Gardner & Dana. Mr. Gardner married Elizabeth Orr, of New York Mills, and they have one daughter, who is now a teacher in the Camden Academy. (p. 176) [Top]

GARRETT, EDWARD E., was born in South Trenton, N. Y., November 9, 1841, son of John P. and Elizabeth (Savage) Garrett. John P. was born in the house where Edward E. now lives, and is a son of Cheney and Lorena (Plant) Garrett, who came from Connecticut, and built the first frame house in the city of Utica. Cheney was engaged in the hotel business, also farming and as a carpenter. John P. was also engaged in farming, and was town superintendent of schools, and has been constable and collector for many years. He was a member of Co. E., 97th Regt. N. Y. Vols., and was a private detailed as a musician. His children were William Henry, Edward Eugene, Cornelia Eliza, Ella Elizabeth and George W. Edward E. Garrett married Marian, adopted daughter of Charles Wall, by whom he has one child, John Cheney Garrett. Mr. Garrett enlisted in Co. D, 1st U. S. Sharpshooters, better known as Berdan's Sharpshooters, and is a member of the Thomas Post of Prospect, N. Y. he is engaged in farming. John P. Garrett is a member of the Hunt Post of Holland Patent. James Garrett, son of Cheney, was a missionary and died in Bombay, India, and his son, Samuel James, died in Andersonville Prison, a member of Co. D, 146th Regt. (p. 13) [Top]

GARRETT, HENRY L., was born in South Trenton, August 12, 1848, son of Henry W. and Sarah D. Garrett. Mrs. Garrett was a daughter of Aaron Savage. Henry W. was a son of Cheney and Lorena (Plant) Garrett, and Cheney was a son of John Garrett, one of the pioneers of Utica. Henry W. was married March 30, 1837, and Mr. and Mrs. Garrett have eight children: Frederick, E., born January 1, 1838; Emma C., born February 28, 1840, and who died June 28, 1855; C. Olivia, who was born March 12, 1842 and died February 29, 1852; Orrin R., born March 26, 1844; Julia L., born September 14, 1846, and died August 7, 1853; Henry L., Sarah R., born March 26, 1850; and Lewis Seymour born April 24, 1853, and died November 18, 1893. Mr. Garrett was a farmer and a brick manufacturer at South Trenton, and taught school ten years. He enlisted in Co. E., 97th Regt. N. Y. Vols., on September 13, 1862, and was discharged from service June 16, 1865. Henry L., married Minnie Waite, and is also engaged in farming and in brick manufacturing. (p. 11) [Top]

GATES, HENRY L., son of Nathan Gates and Phebe York was born in Brookfield, Madison county, N. Y., May 12, 1859. His grandfather, David Gates, was the pioneer settler in the Beaver Creek Valley in the town of Brookfield having come there from Putney, Vermont, in April, 1793. The old Gates mansion at Putney where David Gates was born is still standing. Mr. Gates was educated at Brookfield Academy, read law in his native village with S. B. Daboll, now circuit judge in Michigan, and in West Winfield with the late Hon. S. S. Morgan, and was admitted to the bar at Ithaca in 1882. He first practiced in Brookfield, where he also served one year as town clerk. In 1882 Mr. Gates was married to Miss Roxie Waterman of Utica. In 1886 he removed to Utica and was associated in business for two years with the late John G. Jones. Since then he has practiced alone. In 1890 and again in 1894 Mr. Gates was elected justice of the peace and still serves in that capacity. Although having decided cases numbering into the thousands his decisions have only been appealed from five times and none have ever been reversed. Mr. Gates has been assistant journal clerk of the Assembly of the State of New York since January 1, 1894. For the last five years Mr. Gates has been chairman of the Republican City Committee of the city of Utica. He is a member of Utica Lodge No. 33, B. P. O. Elks, Faxton Lodge F. & A. M., Samuel Read Lodge K. P., the Utica Mannerchor, one of the original Board of Governors of the Masonic Club, a director in the Oneida County Sportsmen's Association, and for many years a vice-president of the New York State Association for the Protection of Fish and Game. Mr. Gates as a lawyer ranks high among the younger members of the bar. (p. 261-262)

GATES, WILLIAM M., was born in New York Mills, February 18, 1844, son of James and Mary Ann Gates. James Gates came from England in 1832, and was engaged in the manufacture of soap and candles. He died in 1887. William M. Gates spent his early life on a farm, and when he came to Whitesboro, he engaged in the cheese manufacturing business, and in which he was engaged for ten years. He afterwards engaged in building, but of late years has been retired from active business. He married Lizzie Kennedy, of Marcy, by whom he has one daughter, Libbie B. Gates, who is interested in kindergarten work. Mr. Gates is school trustee of Whitesboro, a position he has held for a long time, and he has also been a member of the Village Board. Mr. Gates and family are members of the Presbyterian church of Whitesboro. (p. 280) [Top]

GAUS, FRED E., was born in Stittville, N. Y., May 3, 1861, son of Christian and Rosene (Sickenberger) Gaus, who settled in Stittville about 1852, and whose children were Mary, Christiana, Carrie Mularky, and Fred E. Fred E. Gaus married Mary E., daughter of John and Sylvia Merriman, residents of Prospect, N. Y., by whom he had two children: Winifred and John. When seventeen years of age he engaged in the general merchandise business, at which he now continues. He is also interested in the Stittville Canning Company, and is one of its directors, and is also a director of the Merchants Co-Operative Fire Insurance Co., of Utica, N. Y. He was appointed postmaster under Cleveland, in 1888. Mr. Gaus is a member of the Remsen F. & A. M. Lodge, No. 677, of Trenton, also I. O. O. F., No. 577, of Trenton, and United Friends. (p. 13) [Top]

GAYMOND, GEORGE A., was born in the town of Marcy, May 4, 1869, son of John O. and Elizabeth Jones Gaymond, who have five children: William, George A., Ira M., Emma and Margaret. John O. settled in Clayville in 1852, and in Marcy in 1855. In early life he engaged in farming, and at which he has since continued. George A. was educated in Whitestown Seminary and studied law; and late years he has been engaged as a commerical traveler. He is a member of the Oriskany Lodge F. & A. M. of Utica, also the Marcy Grange and Patrons of Industry. (p. 171) [Top]

GEORG, EMIL J., was born in Utica, November 9, 1871. His father, Joseph Georg, a native of Alsace, Germany, came to America in 1858, and settled in Utica, where he was first a teamster for a few years. He then started in the wood business on a small scale and in 1877 engaged also in the retail coal trade, in which he successfully continued till his death, May 17, 1892, at the age of fifty-five. In 1890 his son Joseph L. became his partner under the firm name of Joseph Georg & Son. He was a member of the C. M. B. A., the Germania Industrial Association, and other benevolent movements. He married Frances Hurstell, a native of Alsace, Germany, who survives him. Their children were Joseph L., and Emma M., both deceased, and Sophia M. and Emil J., of Utica. Emil J. Georg was educated in the Utica public schools and Business College, learned the trade of brass turner, and upon his father's death became a partner in the coal and wood business with his brother Joseph L., as Joseph Georg's Sons. His brother died April 25, 1895, and since then he has continued the business alone under the name of Joseph Georg's Son. He is a member of the Utica Maennechor, the Knights of St. George, the Y. M. C. A., the Utica Cycling Club, the Young Men's Sodality of St. Joseph's church, and the Coal Exchange. (p. 278) [Top]

GERMAN, JEROME B., son of Daniel, was born in New Hartford, Oneida county, August 30, 1855. Daniel German, a native of Welsh Pool, North Wales, came to America about 1836 and settled in New Hartford, where he died in 1881. He was an overseer in the cotton mills there for many years. He married Jane Jones, who was born in Newtown, Wales, March 22, 1814, and who survives him. Their children were George, of Rochester, N.Y., and David, Salome, Mary J. (Mrs. Wayne E. Gifford), and Jerome B., all residents of New Hartford. Jerome B. German, the youngest, was graduated from the Utica Business College in 1871, and for about one year was bookkeeper for Sylvester Deering, a lumber dealer. He then held a similar position for four years in the knitting factory of ex-Senator S. S. Lowery, and during another four years was a clerk in the Utica post-office under Postmasters Clark and Stevens. In the fall of 1884 he engaged in the grocery business in New Hartford and successfully continued about five years. In 1893 he became a partner of the commission firm of H. H. Hurd & Co., grain, flour and feed dealers, which was started at the present location, corner of Seneca and Liberty streets, about 1865. Mr. German was treasurer of the village of Hartford three years and was chorister of the M. E. church there about twelve years, being also secretary and treasurer of its Sunday school for more than that period. He resides in New Hartford though his business is in Utica. In 1877 he married Sarah R., daughter of Joseph P. Richardson, the provost marshal at Utica during the Civil War. They have two sons: Harold Richardson and Jerome Bradbury. (p. 350) [Top]

GERWIG, FREDERICK, , was born near New London, in the town of Verona, November 21, 1843. He was educated in the district schools, and afterward learned the carpenter's trade. July 12, 1884, he married Catherine Angley, of Rome, N. Y., by whom he had seven children: Edward W., Laura M., Bertha A., Frederick B., Martha B., Frank C., and Elmer H. Mr. Gerwig is a contractor and builder with his brother George. Mr. Gerwig's father, Frederick Gerwig, was born in Alsace, France, in 1821, and came to the United States with his parents when nine years of age locating in this town, where he was a boat builder by occupation. He married Barbara Ruby, of this town, by whom he had eleven children: Frederick, as above, Margaret, Elizabeth, Barbara. George, Jacob, Caroline, Amelia, Sarah, Charles, and Benjamin. Mr. Gerwig died in 1877. Mrs. Gerwig's father, Jacob Angley. was born in Germany. He married Margaret Fembel, and came the the United States locating in Rome, N. Y. They had twelve children, three of whom survive. The father and mother are dead. Mr. Gerwig is a member of Romania Lodge, No. 271, A. O. U. W., of Rome, N. Y. The family are of German ancestry on both sides. (p. 261) [Top]

GIBSON, WILLIAM M., M. D., was born in Waterville, Oneida county, May 12, 1856, and is a son of Rev. William T. Gibson, now of Utica, an Episcopal clergyman in this county since 1854. He attended the Utica Free Academy and in 1875 entered the medical department of the University of the City of New York, from which he was graduated in medicine in 1878. He took a post-graduate course in Bellevue Hospital under the late Dr. Alfred L. Loomis of New York, and in 1879 began the practice of his profession in Utica with the late Dr. Daniel G. Thomas, and since his death in 1880, has continued alone. He was made attending physician to the Utica Dispensary in 1880, physician in charge in 1881, and a trustee in 1882, and held appointment on the corps of city physicians for the Eleventh ward from 1880 to 1889. He became a member of the Oneida County Medical Society in 1878 and was its president in 1889; was made a member of the Utica Medical Library Association in 1879 and served as its president in 1884 and 1885; has been a member of the staff of St. Lukes Hospital since 1883. He was elected a member of the American Climatological Society (a branch of the Congress of American Physicians and Surgeons) in 1892, also to membership in the Medical Society of the State of New York in 1893. In 1894 he was appointed by Governor Flower one of the managers of the Utica State Hospital. He has been a vestryman and warden of St. George's Episcopal church since 1888, and is thoroughly interested in the welfare and prosperity of the city and its institutions. In June, 1888, he married Mary Louise, eldest daughter of William M. Burr, of Cazenovia, N. Y., and their children are: William Burr, born April 12, 1889; Anna Katharine, born July 22, 1891; Mary Burr, born May 23, 1893; and Emily Martha, born April 4, 1895. (p. 248-249) [Top]

GIFFORD, HAMILTON W., was born in the town of Smithfield, Madison county, N. Y., August 3, 1820. The father, Elihu R. Gifford, was born in Massachusetts, October 7, 1797, and came to Madison county when a young man, where he began life as a farmer, and remained there for a few years, then removing to the town of Florence, Oneida county, where he spent the balance of his days. he married Diana Spencer of Saratoga county, N. Y., and they were the parents of four children: Hamilton W., Elmira, Jennette, and Mary, the latter two being deceased. Hamilton W. was educated in the district schools of Florence, and he has been a farmer by occupation. For his first wife he married Rosanna, daughter of Daniel Plumb, and they have three children: Electa, Sarah, and Eugenia. His second wife was Mary, daughter of Isaac Northrop, and to them have been born five children: William, Henry, Rosanna, Elihu, and Thomas. William Gifford is assistant county clerk in Oneida county, and supervisor of the town of Camden. This family have always advocated the principles of the Republican party. (p. 21) [Top]

GILCHRIST, FLORENCE.--The late Charles W. Gilchrist was born in Otsego county, N. Y., July 7, 1825. He was educated in the public schools, and afterwards engaged in farming. He came to this county when a young man, and June 25, 1874, married Florence Brown, formerly of Herkimer county, by whom he had two children: F. Agnes and Alice B. Mr. Gilchrist died February 19, 1895. The ancestry of Mrs. Gilchrist's family is Scotch, dating back to 1774. (p. 231)

GLATT, A.S., was born in New Hartford, November 28, 1863, son of Joseph and Amelia Glatt. Joseph Glatt came from France when he was nine years of age, and his family settled in Deerfield. A.S. Glatt received his education in New Hartford and Utica, after which he engaged in farming, including gardening and greenhouse business. He raises vegetables and flowers, sending his flowers to Rochester and Buffalo. Mr. Glatt married Catherine Owens, of Kirkland, by whom he has seven children: LaMott, Edith M., Bertha, Joseph, Ella, Charles, and George. (p. 320) [Top]

GLATT, JOSEPH, was born in Forbach, France, in 1824 and in 1833 came to this country with his father and seven other children, he (Joseph) being the younger of the eight. Joseph Glatt, sr., was a brick and tile manufacturer by trade, which he followed in France; but upon coming to this country settled on a farm in Deerfield, remaining there until 1854, when he moved to Utica, where he spent the remainder of his days, living to the ripe old age of ninety-three years. While in France he was ten years in the French revolution and was one of Napoleon's body guard. Joseph, jr., and a sister in Iowa are the only surviving members of the family. In 1851 he married Sarah A. Johnson, of Deerfield, and moved to New Hartford on a farm of 250 acres, where he still resides. In 1858 his wife died, leaving three children: George A., Phebe M., and Ernest J. In 1862 Mr. Glatt married H. Cornelia, daughter of the late Peter and Delia A. Smith, old and much respected citizens of New York Mills. His present wife was for a number of years an experienced teacher in the public schools of that place. They have one son, Albert Smith, born November 28, 1863. (p. 305-306) [Top]

GLEASON, HENRY N., was born in the town of Kirkland, May 14, 1828, in the house built and occupied by the father and on the same farm as was his father, Orsemus Gleason, who was born October 14, 1792. The grandfather, Solomon Gleason, came to this town in 1788 from Brimfield, Mass., where he took up the farm that has remained in the family ever since. Henry N. Gleason is one of the foremost men in Kirkland, and is interested in the Kirkland canning factory, and is treasurer of the creamery company. He was elected supervisor of the town of Kirkland in 1876, and was a director of the Oneida County Agricultural Society twenty-five years. He dealt quite a little in cattle and other stock for a number of years, and owns 120 acres of the homestead place. Mr. Gleason married Susan, daughter of Ezra Clark of Kirkland, of the family which established Clark Mills. (p. 122-123) [Top]

GLIFFE, HENRY was born in Prussia, December 8, 1849, son of Charles and Austenia (Creger) Gliffe, natives of Germany. Mr. Gliffe was a wagon maker by trade, and died in Germany in 1867; Mrs. Gliffe also died in Germany in 1885. Henry Gliffe, was reared and educated in Germany. He served in the army and also served apprenticeship at the tailor trade, and after working five years at the trade in Germany, emigrated to America in 1874, settling first in Utica, and then in Oneida in 1875; whence in 1878, he removed to Deerfield Corners, where he has since resided and carried on the business of manufacturing clothing for Utica firms. In 1874, he married Mary, adopted daughter of John Summerfield of Germany, where she was reared and educated and came to America in 1873. They have three children: Adaline, Lilly and Henry M. Mr. Gliffe is an active Republican, and has been overseer of the poor for seven years in succession. (p. 12) [Top]

GOLLY, ANDREW, was born on the Golly homestead in the town of Lee, March 4, 1814, son of Joseph and Ann (Jardin) Golly, natives of County Tyrone, Ireland, who settled in the town of Lee in 1811, where they cleared and improved a farm from the wilderness and died there. Their children were Eliza J., John, Andrew, Mary A., Joseph, Martha, Jardin, William, Benjamin, and Esther. Andrew has spent the most of his time in Lee, and owns two hundred acres of land, a part of which is the Golly homestead. In 1854, he married Ellen, daughter of John and Mary (Cummins) McClusky of Boonville, and they were the parents of six children: Frank, Albert, George, Eliza (Mrs. Fred S. Fish), Mary, and Margaret. Mr. Golly is one of the oldest native residents of Lee. In politics he is a Democrat, and has held the office of supervisor. (p. 46) [Top]

GOLLEY, WILLIAM E., was born in town of Lee, Oneida county, N. Y., June 23, 1865. He was educated in the common schools, and is by occupation a cheesemaker. In 1895 he purchased the Fitch & Bacon Cheese Factory near Blackman Corners, where he is engaged in the manufacture of cheese. February 28, 1894, he married Alice D. Agans, of the town of Lee. Mr. Golley's father, William Golley, was born at the old homestead in Lee, April 8, 1828. He was educated in the district schools, and is by occupation a farmer. He married Esther Bynam, of the town of Lee, by whom he had four children; Sarah, Charles, William E., as above, and Fred J. Mrs. Golley's father, John Agans, was born in Rome, N.Y., in 1830. He was educated in the district schools, and afterward engaged in farming. He married Susan Hogle, of the town of Floyd, by whom he has six children: Willard, Emma, Jennie, Francis, Alice D., as above, and George. The ancestry of the family is Scotch and German. (p. 203) [Top]

GOODFELLOW, MRS. C. H..--The late Charles H. Goodfellow was born in Kirkland, December, 1836, son of Charles Goodfellow, who was born in England, and came to Clinton in 1831. Charles Goodfellow was engaged in the storage business, but died at eighty-seven years of age on a farm in this town. He married Christianna Goodfellow, by whom he had seven children. Charles H. Goodfellow was educated in the schools of Clinton, and learned the trade of tinsmith, after which he engaged in the hardware business, which he conducted for twenty-eight years prior to his death, December l4, 1894. He married Jeanette McChesney, daughter of William McChesney of Richland, Oswego county, by whom he had four children: Katie E., Anna, William and Jeanette. William Goodfellow now conducts his father's business in Clinton. (p. 297) [Top]

GOODIER, LEWIS EDWARD, was born in the city of Utica, March 23, 1857. His father was Jonathan Goodier, a native of Litchfield, Herkimer county, whose father, Aaron Goodier, an Englishman, settled there in 1794. His mother was Clarissa Sill Treadway, a native of Connecticut and descendant of an old Middletown family. The subject of this sketch attended the public schools of the city, graduating from the academy in 1873, entered Yale College and received the baccalaureate degree in 1877. From Hamilton College Law School, he graduated as Bachelor of Laws in 1878. he was connected with the law firm of Lindsley & Dunmore from 1878 to September, 1881, when, with David C. Wolcott, he formed the partnership of Goodier & Wolcott, which conducted a general practice in the Parker block and the Arcade building. Has never held office and has not been a candidate except at the charter election of 1886, when he was the nominee of the Republican party for special city judge, and met the defeat with the rest of his ticket. He is an enthusiastic national guardsman and has been connected with the military organizations of city since 1878, when he joined the Utica Citizens Corps. Was active in the movement which carried that organization in the fiftieth year of its existence into the National Guard as the Forty-fourth Separate Company of the State troops, in 1887, and has been its commandant since March, 1888. He served with his company at Buffalo for eight days during the railroad strike riots in 1892, and has been on several occasions assigned to the command of battalions of National Guard troops at the Camp of Instruction maintained by the State at Peekskill. He married Miss Jane Estell Northrop in 1882, and has four children: Chester Jennings, Lewis Edward, Mabel Estelle and Helen Munn. (p. 73) [Top]

GOODIER, WADSWORTH S., was born in Utica, August 13, 1858. He is a son of Jonathan Goodier. who was born in Litchfield, Herkimer county, N. Y., February 6, 1822, came to Utica in 1850, and has since resided there, most of the time engaged in business as a lumber merchant. The subject of this sketch was educated in the public schools and academy of Utica, and read law with Burton D. Hurlburt, of Utica, who was for many years resident attorney of A. T. Stewart & Co., of New York, who owned and operated the Utica Steam Woolen Mills, at Utica, and the Washington Mills, in the town of New Hartford, N. Y. He was admitted to the bar at Rochester, on October 10, 1879, and has since practiced his profession in Utica. In January, 1881, on the resignation of Mr. Hurlburt as attorney for A. T. Stewart & Co., Mr. Goodier was appointed to the position by Judge Henry Hilton of New York, the executor of A. T. Stewart's will, and still serves in that capacity. He makes a specialty of real estate law. He is a member of Imperial Council, Royal Arcanum. November 26, 1885, he married Lulu V. Long, daughter of James H. Long, of Mankato, Minn., and their children are James H., Virginia and Treadway. (p. 186-187) [Top]

GOODSELL, LAWTON B., was born in Westmoreland December 24, 1826, son of Samuel P. and Mercy (Barker) Goodsell. Samuel P. Goodsell was born in Washington county in 1792, and moved to Westmoreland about 1802. His father, Jacob Goodsell, was among the earliest settlers in the township. Samuel P. Goodsell engaged in the manufacturing business, was a farmer, and was also a soldier in the war of 1812, where he was stationed, part of the time, at Sackett's Harbor. His entire life was passed in the township of Westmoreland, where he died May 8, 1873, at the age of eighty-two. Mrs. Goodsell, his wife, was born in 1879, in Washington county, and removed here with her parents in 1805, where she lived to be ninety years old. Lawton B. Goodsell was educated in Westmoreland, and engaged in farming, which he still continues. He has a fine farm of 140 acres all under a good state of cultivation, occupying one of the most eligible locations in the township. Mr. Goodsell is a staunch Republican, and one of the most active supporters of his party. He has been assessor of the town thirteen years. He married Cordelia Stevens of Lewis county, by whom he had three children: Cornelia M., wife of George Thomas, who died August 8, 1886, aged thirty-one years, Ida M., married to Menzo Corey of Deansboro, N. Y., and Sarah M., married to M. A. Shafer of Utica. Mr. Goodsell and family are members of the Baptist church. (p. 226) [Top]

GOODWIN, S.W., was born in Waterville in 1850, son of Daniel B. and Catherine (Bacon) Goodwin, natives of Hartford, Conn., and Oneida county, respectively. He was educated in the schools of the village, and at the military college in Worcester, Mass., after which he engaged in banking. He was assistant cashier of the Waterville National Bank for ten years, cashier for six years, and has been president one year. He is also treasurer of the village of Waterville, and is the senior member of the firm of Goodwin & Rice, the leading insurance house in this part of the county. (p. 311-312) [Top]

GOOKINS, MILO, was born in Leyden, Lewis county, N. Y., November 25, 1842, son of Daniel M. and Eliza (Rhodes) Gookins, he a native of Herkimer county and she of Wilna, Jefferson county, N. Y. Daniel M. was a blacksmith by trade and worked in Oneida and Lewis counties and along the Black River Canal during its construction. He died at Port Leyden in 1881; his wife also died in 1881. Mile Gookins, when young, worked a little at his father's trade, but with the exception of five years in the war, has followed farming. In 1870 he purchased the farm of 220 acres where he now resides, and keeps a dairy of about thirty five cows. In 1869 he married Mary J. Capron, daughter of Oliver and Henrietta Capron, by whom he had seven children: Maud L., Mabel, Mira, Elmer, May, Nellie, and Emery. July 8, 1861, Mr. Gookins enlisted in Co. G. 3d N.Y. Vol. Cav., as private, served all through the war, being honorably discharged as sergeant August 5, 1885. He participated in seventy-five battles and skirmishes, among which we mention Trenton Bridge, Mill Creek, Goldsboro. assault on Petersburg, Chapin's Farm, and Fair Oaks. Mr. Gookins is a Republican in politics, and has been justice eight years. He is a member of the Wheelock Post, No. 87, G. A. R., of Boonville. (p. 212-213) [Top]

GORTON, F.T., M.D., was born in Brookfield, Madison county, N.Y., October 22, 1843, son of Thomas Rodgers and Prudence (Treat) Gorton. His great grandfather, Samuel Gorton, settled in Brookfield in 1796 and was an officer in the Revolutionary war. F.T. Gorton was educated at Whitestown and Cazenovia. He attended one course of medical lectures at Michigan University and was graduated from the University Medical College of the city of New York in 1871, after which he commenced practice in Waterville, and established a high reputation in medical circles. He is a member of the Oneida County Medical Society and has been coroner of the county two terms. He has also been village trustee two terms, and is a member of the Waterville Board of Education. He held the posotion of United States Pension examiner from January, 1872 to October, 1893, a period of nearly twenty-two years. Dr. Gorton married Alida C., daughter of C.A. Budlong of Cassville, N.Y., by whom he has one son and three daughters. (p. 381-382) [Top]

GOUGE, FREDERICK H., the architect, of 26-27 Winston Building, Utica, N.Y., was graduated from Hamilton College in 1870. His early education was acquired at a district school and the academy at Rome, N.Y. In 1871-72 he practiced civil engineering in Fulton and Herkimer counties and on the Bound Brook Railway line in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. In 1873 he formed a partnership with William H. Miller, at Ithaca, N.Y., for the practice of the profession of architecture. In 1876 he removed to Utica, where he opened an office and resumed work as an architect. Mr. Gouge was born in Trenton, N.Y., May 5, 1845, son of Jacob Gouge, a farmer. The farm on which his grandfather, also named Jacob Gouge, settled at Trenton in 1796 is still retained by the family. His mother, Laura (Powers) Gouge, was a descendant of the Burlingame and Grinnell families of Connecticut. October 25, 1881, Mr. Gouge married Abbie P. Moore, of Trenton Falls, N.Y., by whom he had three children: Julia Sherman, Laura, and George Frederick. Mr. Gouge is a member of the American Institute of Architects and has been president of Western New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects for two terms. Among the notable buildings designed by him are the First National Bank, Utica City National Bank, Sayre Memorial church, Park Baptist church, the St. Francis De Sales church in the city of Utica, the Cayuga County Savings Bank at Auburn, and the Colgate Gymnasium at Colgate University. Mr. Gouge is a member of the Fort Schuyler and Arcanum Clubs. (p. 136) [Top]

GOSSIN, WILLIAM A., was born in the town of Marcy, Oneida county, October 3, 1845, son of Andrew and Rose (Sheridan) Gossin. He engaged in farming for a time, and took up cheese making, after which he engaged in the liquor business, and the firm of Reed & Gossin existed in Waterville for sixteen years, and in 1887 Mr. Gossin retired. He is a prominent Mason, and a member of both the Blue Lodge and Chapter, and is one of the excise commissioners for Sangerfield, an office which he has held for two terms. In 1873 he married Mary E. Benedict, deceased, and in 1889 he married Carrie L. Berrill. (p. 317) [Top]

GOULD, GEORGE A. W., was born in Rhode Island in 1855, son of George S. and Anna A. (Knowles) Gould. George S. Gould has always been a farmer, and is at present living in Rhode Island. The homestead farm originally belonged to Daniel Peckham; his father first moved here, and was among the early settlers of the county. G. A. W. Gould was educated in Rhode Island, and settled in Westmoreland in 1879. He married Sarah N. Hunt, of Westmoreland, by whom he has six children: Archer, Alison, Leslie, Ethel, Horace and Harold. (p. 294) [Top]

GRACE, JOHN, was born in Deerfield, N. Y., in November, 1843, son of John and Ann Grace. John was a native of Deerfield, and was engaged in farming until he died in 1867 in his eighty-third year. John Grace was educated in Deerfield, and came to Whitesboro in 1886, where he has since been engaged in farming. He has a fine farm of eighty-one acres, all under a fine state of cultivation. In politics he is a Democrat. He married Annie, daughter of Charles Ferguson, of Whitesboro. (p. 256) [Top]

GRAHAM, GEORGE H., was born in Oriskany, N.Y., May 21, 1843, son of George and Jane Graham. George Graham was born at Whitesboro, N.Y., in 1811. He has been engaged in contracting, doing work on the canal, and has also been engaged in railroad building. He has been superintendent on various divisions of the canal, and was supervisor of the township, for which he was nominated sixteen times and elected eight. He was justice of the peace for over thirty years, and has also been a member of the Legislature, and on the excise commission of the county eight years, and he has been one of the most prominent men of the township during his life, and although eighty-four years old, is still in good health. George H. Graham was educated in Whitestown, after which he superintended at railroad, canal and reservoir building; part of the time he was engaged on the Welland canal, on the New York Reservoir, also on the New York Central R. R. He returned to Whitestown in the fall of 1879 and took charge of the Oriskany Malleable Iron Works, which was started in a small way in a hired shop with $8,000 capital, employing about thirty-five people; and in seven years they increased the capital stock from $7,000 to $41,000 and constructed the present factory, where they employ on the average of 120 men. This has been one of the successful industries of the county, and Mr. Graham is superintendent. He is supervisor of the town, having been elected for two years. He married Fanny Murphy of Oriskany, by whom he has two children: Jean and Annis. (p. 142) [Top]

GRAHAM, JOSEPH E., was born in Paris, Oneida county, in 1819, and is a representative of a family who settled in Oneida county before the beginning of the century. His father, William Graham, came here in 1796 and cleared a large farm. Joseph E. is one of the foremost farmers of Oneida county. By his own efforts he gained an education, graduating from Sauquoit Academy in 1841; he then taught the Willowdale school one term, after which he attended the De Lancy Institute at Hampton one year and taught school many years. He began farming in Madison county but subsequently came back to Paris. In 1845 he married Caroline E. Hecock, whose grandfather was one of the first settlers here. They had one son, Charles W., a promising young man, who was a college graduate and civil engineer, who died at twenty-five years. Mr. Graham is a Prohibitionist and an earnest advocate of the temperance cause. He has held many positions of honor and trust, and has been a member of the School Board for a number of years, which position he fills at present. He is also president of the New York Central Farmers' Club. (p. 137) [Top]

GRANNIS, MRS. C. E..--Cyrus Grannis was born in Oneida county, N. Y., in 1815. In early life he learned the carpenter and joiner trade, which he followed for a number of years, but later engaged in farming, which he followed until his death in 1885. He married the widow of Theodore Wilcox, who was born in Waterville, Oneida county. She had four children: Libbie, Hattie, Franklin and Goodwin. The sons are both farmers, one in the town of Kirkland on the homestead of his father, Theodore Wilcox, the other conducts a large farm on Paris Hill, in the town of Paris. (p. 299) [Top]

GRANNIS, WILLIAM E., was born in the town of Kirkland, September 5, 1836, son of Andrew D. Grannis, who was born in the town of Floyd, Oneida county, in 1811. The family came from Vermont, and Edward Grannis, grandfather of William E., was captain in the war of 1812. They came to this county in 1790 being one of the first settlers in the town of Floyd, where he remained until his death in 1856. Andrew D. Grannis came to this town in 1833, engaged in farming which he continued till his death in 1883. He married Betsey, daughter of William Carpenter, by whom he had five children, three of which are now living: Adelaide Allen of Lewis county; Mrs. Julia Howard of Oklahama; and William E. Grannis. William E. Grannis was educated in the Clinton Liberal Institute, his father being one of the first graduates of the institution, after which he engaged in farming. He married Lucinda, daughter of John Pease of Utica, by whom he had one daughter, Louise, wife of David Owen of New Hartford. Mrs. Grannis died in 1891, after which he married his present wife Dora, daughter of Conrad Roemer, of New Hartford. Mr. Grannis is a member of the Clinton Grange, and also of Oneonta Lodge, No. 466, F. & A.M. (p. 122) [Top]

GRANT, JOHN H., was born at Liberty, Sullivan county, N. Y., June 15, 1857, son of Daniel and Mary (Howell) Grant. Daniel Grant was a contractor and farmer. John H. was educated in the schools of Afton and Bainbridge, NY. He studied law with Alexander Cumming, at Binghamton, and was admitted to the bar at Albany in January, 1883, and commenced the practice of his profession in the city of Utica the following February. Mr. Grant is studious and one of the most promising of the younger members of the Oneida county bar. March 6, 1889, he married Libbie Yale of Bainbridge, NY. Mr. Grant is a Mason. (p. 73) [Top]

GRAVES, C. H., was born in Chenango county, N. Y., and has been connected with the railway business since ten years of age. He began as water boy, subsequently learning operating, and worked at North Norwich. He then went to Washington Mills and from there to Fulton. Returning to the D., L. & W. R. R., he worked as extra operator for a time, when he went to the N. Y., O. & W., and filled a position at Smyrna; from there he went to Sherburne as assistant, and thence to North Norwich as agent, which position he filled for eight years, when he was promoted and sent to Waterville in 1891. In 1888 Mr. Graves married Hattie L. Brooks of North Norwich, N. Y. Mr. Graves is a member of the International Association of ticket agents. (p. 247-248) [Top]

GRAVES, FERDINAND V., born at Cooperstown, N. Y., where in his boyhood he was an intimate friend of James Fenimore Cooper. He was a tailor by trade, and came to Boonville when twenty-nine years of age. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. D, 146th Regiment, and participated in many important battles. He became first lieutenant and raised two companies from Boonville. He was also a prominent figure in the nomination of John C. Fremont. Since the war he has resided in Boonville and lived a retired life. He married Phebe M. Brinkerhoff, of a celebrated family of local pioneers, who died soon after celebrating her golden wedding. She left four sons and five daughters, one of the sons being Byron P. Graves, who took care of his father in his declining years and until his death. Mr. Graves was for thirty years a clothing merchant in Boonville, and has been president of the village. (p. 252) [Top]

GRAVES, WILLIAM B., was born in the town of Vienna, Oneida county, in January, 1853, the only surviving child of William H. and Minerva (Wade) Graves. This family was among the Puritans who came to Connecticut, emigrating to this country when it was quite young. William B. was educated in the schools of Annsville and Whitestown Seminary, and since 1882, has been engaged in the mercantile business in Taberg. He is a prominent business man and stands high in the political field as a staunch Republican, and was school commissioner from 1888 to 1891. He married Elma, daughter of Peter Flanigan, of North Bay, by whom he had three children: Celia M., born February 1, 1885; Bessie born January 10, 1887; and Elma A., born in December, 1890. Mr. Graves is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of Lee Center Council of Royal Arcanum. He was elected member of the assembly in 1895, and was one of the eighty-four that voted for the Raines Bill. His ancestors were among the early settlers in the towns of Annsville and Vienna, moving here in the latter years of the last century. (p. 66) [Top]

GREEN, ADELBERT, was born in the town of Paris, on the farm where he now resides, January 29, 1847, son of Daniel and Irene (Hammett) Green. In 1869 he married Mary Jones, daughter of John R. Jones, of Paris, by whom he had three children: Wallace, Ida and Cora: the two latter are teachers. Mr. Green is a Republican in politics, and takes an intelligent and active interest in the welfare of his party, by which he is highly valued. He has frequently been delegate to county conventions and has repeatedly served on committees. (p. 254) [Top]

GREEN, ALVIN L., was born in Paris, Oneida county, N.Y., May 25,1841. His father, Elias F. Green, was born in Sangerfield, Oneida county, N. Y., September 17, 1806, and died November 30, 1892, in the town of Paris, where he had spent most of his life. Lodowick Green, father of Elias F., was one of the early settlers in the town of Sangerfield, having settled in that town in the year 1801. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Alvin L. Green is a lineal descendant of John Green, an Englishman, who came to America in 1663, and took the oath of allegiance to the State of Rhode Island in the year 1671. The sons in direct descent from him are Benjamin, John, Philip, Elder Elisha, Lodowick, Elias F. and Alvin L. Mr. Green is one of the representative farmers of the town of Paris. He was married in Plainfield, Otsego county, N.Y., March 9, 1870, to Sarah E. Ripley, daughter of Samuel and Hannah Ripley, by whom he has one son, Harry E., who was born October 10, 1877. (p. 123-124) [Top]

GREENE, ALBERT W., M.D., was born in Northamptonshire, Eng., February 26, 1833, son of William and Sophia Greene, natives of that country, and who came to this country when Albert was three years of age, and settled in Fulton, Oswego county, N. Y. William Greene served during the Rebellion in the 147th N. Y. Infantry, participating in many of the important battles of the war. Nathaniel Greene, his uncle, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and at its close settled in Savannah, Georgia; and his grandson was a classmate of Dr. Greene in the medical college. In 1865 Dr. Greene moved to Palermo, Oswego county, and in 1871 was graduated from the Mexico Academy. That same fall he entered Syracuse University, remaining at that institution two years. He subsquently [sic] engaged in teaching, an occupation he pursued through seventeen consecutive terms. In 1861 he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, graduating in 1884, and being appointed to a position in the Maryland Woman's Hospital, remained in that position one year. Dr. Green [sic] then returned to Palermo and established himself in the practice of his profession, where he built up a very lucrative practice, remaining there until 1894. At that time his health became impaired, so that he retired for a time, and in the fall of 1894 he removed to Oneida Castle, and at once entered upon a successful practice. Dr. Greene while in Palermo was active in the Republican politics of the county, serving three years each as member of the county committee, and the Second Assembly district. In the spring of 1895 he was elected president of the village of Oneida Castle, and is now surgeon of the West Shore Railroad. He married for his first wife, Flora Cross, by whom he had three children: Ralph R., Ray E., and Nina G. His present wife is Carrie E. Snell, by whom he has one daughter, Edna. (p. 163) [Top]

GRIFFIN, CHARLES A., was born in January 20, 1845, in Florence, Oneida county. His great-grandfather, Nathaniel Griffin, came from Connecticut to Clinton, N. Y., in 1785, purchased of Gen. George Washington a farm near College Hill (the deed being now in Albany), and died there. Ransom, son of Nathaniel, was born in Clinton, had four children; Ira B., Emily, Parnell; and Jane, and died there in 1829. Ira B. Griffin was born there March 19, 1820, lived after his father's death with his grandfather, and upon his mother's second marriage moved to Florence, where he still resides. He is a farmer and owns about 600 acres of land. In 1864 he enlisted in Co. K, 189th N. Y. Vols., and served until the war closed, being commissary sergeant. He married Mary Bellows, who died in 1882, leaving three children: Ransom and Ella E. (Mrs. Jeremiah Dunn), of Florence, and Charles A., of Utica. Mary Jane, another daughter, married H. C. Bickwell in 1869 and died in 1870. Charles A. Griffin attended the public schools of Florence, the Camden Union School, and Rome Academy, and was graduated from Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie in February, 1865. He then came to Utica and for one year was bookkeeper for D. Owens & Son, bakers and confectioners. For another year he was a clerk and bookkeeper for Wetmore & Curtis, general merchants of Camden, and in 1867 became bookkeeper for John Griffiths, wholesale dealer in teas, coffees, and spices in Fayette street. Utica. January 1, 1871, T. J. Griffiths came in as John Griffiths & Co., and January 1, 1872, Mr. Griffin and R. W. Jones were admitted partners. In 1876 John Griffiths retired and the other three continued as Griffiths & Co. March 1, 1879, the firm became Griffiths, Griffin & Hoxie, the partners being T. J. Griffiths, Charles A. Griffin, and John C. Hoxie. May 1, 1888, Mr. Griffiths withdrew and the firm has since been Griffin & Hoxie. In 1880 the business was moved to 10 Liberty street; where it was burned out in 1894. It was then established in its present quarters in Catharine street, and now maintains a wholesale grocery trade, covering a radius of 100 miles. In January, 1883, Mr. Griffin was married to Cornelia W., daughter of Levi Wheaton, of Utica, and they have two children: Wheaton I., and Charles A., jr. (p. 189-190) [Top]

GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H., was born in the southern part of Wales, in 1832, and came to New Hartford when ten years of age, where he was educated in the common schools. He has been engaged in farming from boyhood, and owns seventy acres, where his father, John Griffith, settled. John Griffith was born in Wales in 1800, coming to this country in 1842. He first worked the quarry located on the farm, and once did a large business in building stone. His industry and integrity placed him in the front rank of the men of the county, and he died at eighty-two years of age. In 1864 William H. married Amelia Dennig, of Washington Mills, by whom he has four children: Wallace, who is residing at home; George, an expert mechanic, and a valued employee of the Ilion typewriter works; Carrie, wife of Delos Terry, who is station agent on the D., L. & W. R. R. at Washington Mills; and Hettie, who is living at home. Mr. Griffith is an ardent Republican, serving acceptably in the offices of collector and highway commissioner. (p. 232) [Top]

GRIFFITH, WILLIAM PENN, was born in Boonville in 1846, son of Arthur Griffith, who was born in Cairffonshire, Wales, in 1814; was left an orphan at an early age and emigrated to America in 1824, with his grandfather and first settled in Steuben, Oneida county. in 1837 he started for the far west; he took passage on the lake from Buffalo to Detroit and from there he walked across the State of Michigan, a part of Indian and to Chicago, where he found a small muddy village where loaded teams would get mired in the street; then he returned to Boonville, where he engaged in farming, an occupation he pursued through life. In 1843, he married Eleanor Hughes, daughter of William R. Hughes of Lee. He was the father of three children; Jane and Ellen, both of whom are deceased, and William Penn, with whom he now resides. William Penn Griffith has devoted his life to farming and has always resided in Boonville, where he has a farm of 200 acres. He married Fidelia Platt, of Steuben, N. Y. Mr. Griffith is possessed of common sense and unfaltering energy and has led a remarkable busy life. (p. 12) [Top]

GRIFFITHS, LEWIS G., was born in the town of Russia, Herkimer county, November 26, 1854, son of William C. and Jane Griffiths, who came from Wales and settled in Russia, where Mr. Griffiths was employed in the tannery business. He moved to New Hartford, Stittville, and then to Prospect, where with his son he engaged in the tannery business, which they followed until his death, July 31, 1882, at fifty-four years of age. Mr. Griffiths and his son, Lewis G., were both members of the Remsen Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 677, Oneida Chapter No. 57. Utica Commandery No.3, and Lewis G. is a 32d degree Mason; also a member of the I. 0. R. M. No. 221, of Prospect, and I. 0. 0. F., of Trenton, and was treasurer of the Remsen Lodge, F. & A. M., from 1880 to 1885. After his father's death he conducted the tannery business until it burned, since which time he has lived retired. (p. 114) [Top]

GROFF, BENJAMIN, was born in 1833, son of Benjamin Groff. He is a treasurer and general manager of the Chadwick Mills, and came to New Hartford with his parents at six years of age, and began work in these mills when only nine years old. He struggled through this hard apprenticeship, attending evening school and a Sunday school to acquire an education. At eighteen years of age he had charge of a room and had been superintendent since 1871. At Mr. Chadwick's death in 1885 a stock company was formed, and Mr. Groff was elected to his present position. He has in his possession an old flintlock musket carried by his grandfather, John Groff, in the war of 1812. He married Betsey Wrigley, by whom he had two sons and two daughters: but only one son and one daughter are now living. (p. 295) [Top]

GROVES, ADELBERT D., was born in Kirkland, July 18, 1853, son of Allen and Adaline J. Groves. Allen Groves came from Massachusetts and settled in Kirkland, where he conducted a farm until his death, which occurred June 6, 1878, aged sixty-two years. Mrs. Groves is still living in Westmoreland, and is seventy years of age. Adelbert D. was educated in Westmoreland, and also at Whitestown Seminary, after which he engaged in farming which he followed until his death, in April, 1896. He married Annie Thompson, of Westmoreland, by whom he had three children: Newton R., Irwin A., and Hartley I. (p. 266) [Top]

GUE, JEROME V., was born in Boonville, Oneida county, January 15, 1828, a son of David C. and Lucina (Jillson) Gue, natives of Ulster county, N. Y., and Massachusetts, respectively. His maternal grandfather, Levin Gue, a carpenter by trade was among the first settlers of Boonville, where he resided until his death. David C. Gue, father of Jerome V., settled in Boonville in 1817, where he cleared a farm, and in 1865, removed to Durand, Wisconsin, where he died in 1873. Jerome V. remained in Boonville until he was fifteen years of age, when he removed to Western. He is a boat builder and carpenter by trade, which business he has followed since he was twenty-three years of age, and has also had a dry dock for boats at North Western since 1865. In 1853, he married Clarissa, daughter of George and Rebecca Keech, of Western, by whom he has three children: Elma (Mrs. Jay McOmber); Nellie ( Mrs. Dr. Gilbert L. Lear) and Charles. Mr. Gue has been supervisor of Western one term, and held the office of justice of the peace twenty-seven years. In politics he is a Democrat. (p. 12) [Top]

GYPSON, ADELBERT G., was born in Lowell, town of Westmoreland, March 10, 1865, son of James H. and Margaret M. Gypson. James H. Gypson was born in Pennsylvania, March 16, 1828, his wife being of English extraction. He first moved to Marcy, and then settled in Westmoreland. Mr. Gypson has been interested in boating, and has always been a staunch Republican. He has been road commissioner, and is a well known farmer of Westmoreland. Adelbert Gypson was educated in Westmoreland, and also in Clinton. He buys and sells farm products through the country, shipping them to the city in large lots. He is a well-known farmer, was also highway commissioner in 1894-95, and a staunch Republican. He is married to Jessie Capron, daughter of Eli B. Capron, of Lowell, Westmoreland, by whom he has two children: Floyd A. and Ola C. Mr. Gypson is a member of the Royal Arcanum, Rome Council No. 150. (p. 141) [Top]

Valid HTML 4.0!