HAGEDORN, HENRY was born in Hamilton county, N. Y., November 15, 1838, son of Henry and Margaret Hagedorn, of Hamilton County. Henry Hagedorn, jr., settled in Oneida county with his family in 1860. His wife was Amelia, daughter of Samuel Colwell, of Herkimer county, and they have one child, Katherine, who was born in Herkimer county, February 4, 1881. Mr. Hagedorn started for himself when twenty-one years of age as a carpenter, which business he followed until 1880, when he purchased the grist and grinding mill at Prospect, which he has run to the present time. He is a charter member of Lodge No. 221, I. O. R. M., of Prospect, and is active in lodge work. (p. 13) [Top]

HAINAULT, REV. FRANCIS J., was born in the city of Oswego, N. Y. , August 15, 1855, one of five children of Francis and Helen (Slaven) Hainault, who were natives of Canada, and came to the United States about 1850. Francis J. attended St. Mary's Parochial School, where he began the foundation of his educational life, and afterwards the public schools of Oswego. On account of the closing of the High School in 1872 he became a student of Falley Seminary, Fulton, N. Y. , from which he graduated in classics and sciences. From L'Assomption College, near Montreal, he graduated in philosophy at the head of his class in 1875, and was ordained to the priesthood in the Grand Seminary of Montreal, Laval University, on December 21, 1878, receiving the degree of S. T. B. He has filled many prominent charges, among which having been chaplain of prominent Onondaga county institutions, and has been rector of St. Patrick's church, Taberg, N. Y., nearly twelve years. (p. 108) [Top]

HALE, ANDREW JEROME, was born in the town of Sangerfield, N. Y., April 14, 1825, and died in Waterville, N.Y., May 8, 1896. His grandparents, Minerva Hale and wife, were of the earliest settlers of the town, having come to it in 1793 from Connecticut, and the large farm which they cleared and cultivated was in the possession of their grandson at the time of his death. Their oldest son. Seneca, was the first male child born in Sangerfield; thus three generations of the family have been intimately connected with the history of the town and have been among its foremost citizens. In early life Mr. Hale engaged in the culture of hops and the wool industry, afterwards substituting dairying for the wool business. In 1873 he moved into the village of Waterville, N. Y., letting his farm on shares. At one time he was engaged with Charles Bacon and W. P. Locke, all of Waterville, in buying hops for brewers. Mr. Hale was a member of the Presbyterian church, and for many years both an elder and trustee. In the Waterville Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, he was an active member and held the post of worthy master for eight years. In politics he was first a Whig and afterwards a staunch Republican, and had served his town as assessor and highway commissioner, and also had been trustee of the village for some time. He was public spirited and always encouraged with substantial help all enterprises. When the Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna Valley Railroad was built he took a large block of stock. He generally attended county conventions of his party and in 1892 he attended the Congressional Convention. Mr. Hale married Maria, daughter of Horace F. Locke, of the same town. His wife survives him, also a daughter, Mrs. D. H. Livermore, of Atlanta, Ga. (p. 270-271) [Top]

HALEY, HON. CORNELIUS, was born in Little Falls, N. Y., December 20, 1860, and is a son of John and Mary Haley, natives of Ireland; Mr. Haley still lives in that village; Mrs. Haley died June 2, 1896. He received a public school education and at the age of eleven entered the woolen mills in Little Falls where he remained about five years. The family then moved to near Schuyler's Lake, Otsego county, but two years later returned to Little Falls, where he again entered the woolen mills. He soon went to New Jersey and learned the moulders' trade, which he followed for several years. He came to Utica in 1883. In 1890 he was nominated for member of assembly by the Democrats and the labor organizations of the city and was elected by a handsome majority. He was re-elected in 1891 and again in 1892, and served in all three terms. During his first year in the assembly he was a member of the committee on canals, labor, industries, etc. During the second year he was chairman of the committee on labor and industries, and a member of the committee on excise and canals. During his third term he served as a member of the committee on railroads, electricity, gas and water, and others. He introduced and succeeded in passing a bill making ten hours a legal day's work on steam surface railroads, and was prominent in other legislative movements. May 27, 1893, he was appointed by Governor Flower and the commissioner of labor T. J. Dowling as chief clerk of the Bureau of Statistics and Labor at Albany, which position he held until April 23, 1896, when he resigned. He is a prominent member of several labor and other organizations of Utica. December 28, 1886, he married Elizabeth, daughter of James and Mary Hannon, of Sharon, Mercer county, Pa., who died October 14, 1892, leaving two children: Mamie Perpetua and James Bernard. (p. 252-253) [Top]

HALL, HENRY L., was born in Rome, N.Y., September 29, 1846, son of Luther L. and Patience S. Hall. Luther L. Hall was born in Herkimer county, N.Y., and both grandfathers on his father's and mother's side were in the Revolutionary war. Luther L. first settled in Floyd. He was engaged in farming, and came to Whitestown, N.Y., and bought the family homestead, which has been in possession of the family for forty-seven years. Henry L. was educated at the Whitestown Seminary, and then started in the milk business in Utica, and also in supplying the city with garden vegetables. He has also been engaged in the grocery business. He is a real estate dealer, and owns the principal business block in Yorkville, also several farms in the county, and is interested in the canning factory at Whitesboro. he has always been noted as one of the most active and leading business men of the township. He married Kate L. Russell, of Jersey City, by whom he has two children: Henry Russell, and Bertha Alene. (p. 320) [Top]

HALLADAY, JAMES, was born in the town of Vienna, Oneida county, N. Y., November 14, 1846. He was educated in the common schools, and is by occupation a farmer. March 24, 1870, he married C. Elizabeth Stooks, of the town of Verona, by whom he had two children: H. Estella, and Sarah E. Estella married Herman A. White, of this town, and they have two children: Herbert H. and Pearl E. Mr. Halladay's father, Nehemiah, was born in Vermont, in 1807, and was educated as a farmer and boatman. He married Sarah A. Brodock, of Vienna, by whom he had seven children: Sarah E., Nehemiah, Julia A., Maria, Almira, Alzina and James. He died in 1888, and his wife in 1874. Mrs. Halladay's father, George A. Stooks, was born in Germany, was educated there, and came to the United States with his Parents when sixteen years of age, and located near Boonville, removing later to the town of Verona. He married Catherine Waffel, of this county, by whom he had twelve children, three of whom died in infancy: Jacob W., Hannah, John H., William, C. Elizabeth, Nancy, George B., Frederick and Franklin. Mrs. Stooks died June 24, 1894. The ancestry of the family is English and German. (p. 158) [Top]

HALLENBECK, WILLIAM A., was born in Greene county, N. Y., November 21, 1832, son of Abraham and Rachael Hallenbeck. William A. settled at Fish Creek Landing about 1847, where he started at blacksmithing, which he followed for five years, then engaged in boating for six years, after which he went into the commission business at Buffalo, where he remained for eight years. since which time he has followed farming. He married Agnes, daughter of Edward and Sarah Maddock, by whom he has nine children: Sarah Maria Brodock, Cataline Smith, James V., Nellie Agnes Howe, Casper W., Almeda Lyon, Matilda French, Mary Elizabeth Oliver, and Isabelle. Mr. Hallenbeck has been very active in educational interests, and is a member of Vienna Lodge, No. 440, F. & A. M.; and also a member of Camden Chapter. (p. 84) [Top]

HALSTEAD, CHARLES N., was born in Verona, August 2, 1849, adopted son of Joseph and Betsey (Cook) Halstead. The grandfather, John P. Halstead, who was a farmer and lumberman, and furnished the lumber for and built all the locks in the Oneida Lake Canal, which intersected the Erie Canal at Higginsville, married Phila White, by whom he had twelve children: Nathaniel, John B., Joseph, Clark, Laurie, George, Sarah, Louisa, Morris, Emily, Nelson and Maria. Joseph Halstead was justice of the peace for many years, and was engaged in the mercantile business at Fish Creek Landing, and took a very active part in improving the town and county. (Page 42) [Top]

HALSTEAD, CHARLES N., was born in Redfield, Oswego county, March 19, 1852, son of Henry and Amelia (Nettleton) Halstead. Henry came here with his father, Timothy, when four years of age, in 1798 or 1799, and settled near McConnellsville. Mr. and Mrs. Henry N. Halstead's children were Henry J., Martha L., Charles N., Frank H., and three deceased. Timothy was in the Revolutionary war three or four years, and Henry served in the war of 1812. Timothy Halstead was the third settler in town, coming from Connecticut to the town of Trenton and from there to Vienna. (p. 14) [Top]

HALSTEAD, JOHN, was born in Holland Patent, January 12, 1824, son of Joseph and Sarah Halstead, whose children were Warren, Luther, Mary, Martha, John, Harvey, Jane, and Edmund R., who was killed in the war of the Rebellion September 17, 1861. Joseph served in the war of 1812, and his father, Joseph, in the Revolutionary war. John Halstead married Clara A., daughter of George S. Parke, and they have two children: Ella, wife of Fred H. Lillibridge, and May, who married Edwin K. Leonard. In early life Mr. Halstead engaged in farming, lumbering, and milling, but lately has given most of his time to the manufacturing of paper. In 1856 he was elected to the Assembly. He has held the office of supervisor for two years. (p. 107-108) [Top]

HAMILTON, WILLIAM, was born in Stockbridge, Madison county, N. Y., in 1814, and received his early education at the district school on Stockbridge Hill. He came from Stockbridge in 1842 and has since resided in the town of Vernon, near Sherrill. His father, Elias Hamilton, was one of the pioneers in Stockbridge, where he came from Massachusetts in 1808. In 1842 he moved into the town of Vernon and lived there until his death in 1844. He was born in 1776, and his wife, Amy Lamb, was also born in Massachusetts in 1777, and died in 1832. Mr. Hamilton has long been one of the leading farmers of Oneida county, now owning three farms in Vernon adjacent to Sherrill. He first married Amanda Smith, a native of Vernon, who died in 1858, after which he married his present wife, Helen Garlock, also a native of Vernon, by whom he had four children, one of whom, a daughter, is now living in Sherrill, and was married to Mr. Thurston, now deceased. (p. 275-276) [Top]

HAMLIN, EDWARD A., was born in the town of Floyd, Oneida county, November 28, 1842, son of Joseph S. Hamlin, a native of Connecticut, who was born July 20, 1810, where he lived until six years of age, moving with his parents to Holland Patent, N. Y. Joseph S. Hamlin was engaged in farming, and in 1833 married Delia Willard of Fairfield, Herkimer county, who was born July 25, 1817. Edward A. received his education at the district school where he lived, and afterwards completed a course at the Whitestown Seminary. Leaving school at the age of twenty, he returned to the farm, and continued at that industry until 1867, living in the mean time at Floyd and Trenton, N. Y. In 1867 he settled at Oriskany Falls, and with James A. Douglass, as Douglass & Hamlin, conducted a lumber business; this partnership continued ten years, after which Mr. Hamlin sold his interest in the business to his partner, and returned to his former occupation, settling on a farm adjacent to the village, and has continued farming, with the exception of two years, to the present time. In June, 1895, he, with C. C. Newell and C. E. Hains, organized the Oriskany Falls Knitting Company, to manufacture sweaters and knit goods. February 12, 1873, Mr. Hamlin married Georgia A. Newell, a native of Oriskany Falls, who was born July 22, 1847, by whom he has one son, Preston N. Hamlin, born October 5, 1875. Mrs. Hamlin acquired her education at the Oriskany Falls school and Cazenovia Seminary. (p. 283-284) [Top]

HAMLIN, EDWIN S., was born at Chittenango Falls, Madison county, N.Y., April 15, 1836, son of Lewis Hamlin, who was born on the Catskill side of the Hudson River in 1796, and was engaged in farming all of his life. Lewis Hamlin with his father came to Sullivan, N.Y., where he remained about five years; thence to Chittenango Falls, and in 1846 to the town of Cazenovia, near New Woodstock, where he resided eleven years; returning then to Perryville, where he lived until his death. He married Desire Hulbert, of the town of Butternuts, Chenango county, who died at Chittenango Falls, in 1844. Edwin S. received his education at Chittenango Falls, New Woodstock, and Cazenovia Seminary. He finished at the age of seventeen, and engaged on a farm for a time; he then spent several years in the West, and returned in 1861. He then engaged in the milling and lumber business at Perryvine, N.Y., which he carried on till 1877, when he disposed of his lumber interests, and devoted himself to the grist mill which he had purchased. In January, 1884, he bought what was known as the farmer's mill at Oriskany Falls, and is now carrying on a large and successful milling business, having remodeled and supplied the latest roller process for making flour. September 1, 1863, he married Mary E. Ehle of Perryville, by whom he has three children: DeL. B. Hamlin, who was born September 21, 1868; Lena F., born June 7, 1870; and Edwin P., who was born June 29, 1875. DeL. B. Hamlin is a dealer in flour and feed at Waterville, Oneida county, N.Y. (p. 125) [Top]

HAMLIN, FRED W., was born near Holland Patent, October 9, 1819, son of Joseph and Catherine Hamlin. Joseph is a son of William Hamlin, whose children were Joseph and David, who came to Trenton with their father in 1807. Joseph married Catherine West, by whom he had five children: Joseph S., Marietta, Frederick W., David and Sophia. He was actively interested in town and county affairs, and was assessor of the town many years. Fred W. married Mary Ann (deceased), daughter of Broughton White, by whom he had one child, Mary Ann (deceased). He married for his second wife, Millicent Le Moyne, a daughter of William Webb De Anglis, by whom he had three children: Charles F., Johnnie A. (deceased) and Mary A. Mr. Hamlin has always been engaged in farming, and also in livestock. He was active in the building and support of the Holland Patent Academy, and his wife and children are members of the Episcopal church. (p. 13) [Top]

HAMLIN, JOSEPH EUGENE, was born on the farm where he now resides, July 6, 1848, son of Joseph Sprague and Delia (Willard) Hamlin. The latter have eleven children: Charles W., C. Louise Hall, Edward Augustus, Maria C. Gosnell, Joseph E., Frederick H., George Thomas, Mary Adelaide, William G., Frank Melvin and David West. Joseph S. Hamlin was born in the town of Trenton, Oneida county in 1810. Joseph Eugene Hamlin married Louise, daughter of Henry J. and Mary (Strickland) Wetmore, by whom he has four children: Annie Gertrude, Willard Delancy, Mary Ethel and Genevieve Adelaide, all natives of this county. Mr. Hamlin is interested in church and educational interests, also town and county affairs. He has been assessor for the past seven years, and is engaged in farming on the old homestead. (p. 37) [Top]

HANCHETT, JULIAN A., was born in the house where he now resides, May 18, 1838, son of Ansel D. and Mary (Peck) Hanchett. Ansel D. was born April 4, 1815. He has spent his life in Marshall, and has been engaged in farming. His father, Silas Hanchett, was one of the early settlers in this part, and was a native of Vermont. Mrs. Hanchett died January 27, 1892. Julian A. was one of three children: Julian A., L. M., and Mary E., now Mrs. W. H. De Viney. Mr. Hanchett has been engaged in farming all his life, and has been a prominent hop grower for thirty-five years. He is at present one of the excise commissioners, and is one of the leading farmers of Marshall. (p. 68) [Top]

HANNA, COL. NATHANIEL, one of the early settlers in Oneida county, was born in Ireland, near Dublin, of Scotch parentage, in 1717; he emigrated to this country in 1781, settling in Cambridge, N.Y.; he came to Oneida county about 1787 and located himself on a farm about two miles west of Clarks Mills. He died in 1803 and was buried in the Evergreen Cemetery on South street, which at that time adjoined the first Methodist church built in the town of Westmoreland. He served his mother country as colonel of dragoons in the seven years war on the Continent, 1756-1765, and afterwards as sheriff of Kings county. He was a man of massive frame, and was long remembered by the early settlers as an expert horseman. His daughter Sarah married James Tompkins, a native of Ireland, born in 1762, died in 1828; came to this country in 1781 and to Oneida county about 1787. He bought a farm located on the Oriskany Creek a short distance below Clark's Mills. He took his conveyance from General Washington, and the penmanship was in the hand of Clinton, the general's private secretary. The farm is now owned by Mrs. E. Langdon. The purchase was made prior to the era of highways, and Indians were his daily visitors. His house was the headquarters of Methodism, and Bishop Asbury and Lorenzo Dow with his wife Peggy often slept at his house, and thundered the law in the old church on South street. Mr. Tompkins's daughter Eleanor married Francis Watson, a native of England, who was born in 1794, and died in 1871; he purchased the homestead, on which he lived until about 1856. His son, Col. James T. Watson, an old resident of Clinton was born in 1830; he established a drug store in Clinton in 1858 which is now conducted by one of his sons. He received his military commission from Governor Hoffman, and was active in the State service for many years. For several years he has been president of the Westmoreland Cemetery Association, and has filled several other positions of trust with honor; he is an enthusiastic sportsman with gun, rod, or sail, and the latchstring of his cottage, Bontekoe. Thousand Islands, always hangs outside for all his friends. (p. 129-130) [Top]

HARDEN, CHARLES, was born in Verona, November 7, 1828, son of Henry H. and Sarah (Pierce) Harden, and grandson of Ezekiel Harden, who settled here about 1815. Mr. and Mrs. Henry H. Harden were the parents of six children: Mary Bird, Charlotte Allen, Henrietta Stone, Julian Dean, Maria, and Charles. Charles married Marcia Jane. He afterward married Caroline, daughter of Eggleston Lamphere, and they have three children; Frank, Charles deceased, and George. In early life Mr. Harden was a brick manufacturer. He moved to Illinois, where he remained ten years, and then returned to Oneida county and followed farming and lumbering until 1844, when he began the manufacture of chairs. He was supervisor two terms, and highway commissioner for six years. He is a member of Vienna F. & A. M., No. 440. (p. 174) [Top]

HARDEN, FRANK S., is a native of Oneida county, and a son of Charles Harden. He married Olive, a daughter of Martin and Margaret Chrestien, and they are the parents of three children: Charles, Clarence and Harry, all of whom are natives of this county. Frank S. is a charter member of McConnellsville Lodge, Order of the World. In early life he followed lumbering, contracting, and building, but is now engaged in the manufacture of chairs. (p. 64) [Top]

HARDING, L. S., was born in Massachusetts in October, 1822, son of Stephen Harding, who ws born in Worcester county, Mass., and where he died. L. S. Harding came to Madison county when nine years of age; at that time they came through Albany, where they were testing the engine, which was exhibited at the world's fair in Chicago, it being a duplicate of the first engine in this State. At the age of thirty years L. S. Harding bought the historical place in the town known as the Kirkland homestead, the Rev. Samuel Kirkland being the minister who Christianized the Indians, and this place has the most historical record of any property in this town or in Oneida county. Stephen Harding married Augusta White, by whom he had five children: Jabus, Lucy, L. S., Samuel and Medina. L. S. Harding received his first education in New England States, and finished in Hamilton College. He is engaged in farming, owning a farm of 140 acres. He married Hannah, daughter of Maj. Rutherford Barker, by whom he has three children: Stephen R., who is engaged in farming, and is a stock dealer in Virginia; Henry W., a lumber dealer in Michigan; and Mary L., wife of William M. Dwight, of Detroit, Mich. (p. 298-299) [Top]

HARRER, KARL, was born in Baden, Germany, January 18, 1844, and came to America with his parents, Mathias and Julia Harrer, in 1852. They settled in Utica, where the mother died about 1884 and the father in 1892. Mathias Harrer was a silk plush weaver by trade. Karl Harrer was educated in the public schools of Utica and learned the trade of shoemaker of his uncle, Captain Frederick Harrer (who was wounded at the battle of Gaines Mills and died in 1862, and from whom Harrer Post G. A. R. was named). Mr. Harrer followed his trade as journeymen until 1872, when he established his present business as shoemaker and dealer in Whitesboro street. In 1894 his son, George M., was admitted to partnership under the firm name of Karl Harrer & Son. Mr. Harrer was two terms supervisor from the Sixth ward, and since the spring of 1893 he has served as alderman. He is a member for many years and a trustee of Utica Lodge No. 242, order of Harugari, is a member and was formerly trustee of Zion's German Lutheran church and president of its parochial school for sixteen years; and is now a trustee of the Utica Maennerchor, treasurer of the Baden Sick Aid Society, and a member of the Utica German Literary Society. He was married in November, 1868, to Belinda Knox, of Schenectady, N. Y., and they have four children: Julia (Mrs. Frederick Hammes), George M., Katharine and Frederick, all of Utica. (p. 244) [Top]

HARRIG, ALBERT, was born in New London, Oneida county, in 1867, son of Michael Harrig, who was one of five sons born to John Harrig, a native of Germany. Michael Harrig was a boatman on the Erie Canal, owning and conducting his own boats. His wife, Mary Morreall, was born in Oneida county, daughter of Joseph Morreall, who was killed in the war of the Rebellion, and by whom he had three children: William, Albert, and Frank, who was drowned in Forestport. Mr. Harrig died in 1870, at age of forty years, and after the death of the father and husband, Mrs. Harrig removed to Forestport, where she provided for her family, until there were old enough to provide for themselves. She later became wife of W. G. Sands of Forestport. Albert Harrig at the age of twelve years, engaged as driver on the canal; when sixteen was promoted to steersman, and four years later, he purchased a boat and began for himself. In 1889, he in partnership with William Syphert, engaged in the lumber business, getting out spar timber in the winter, which they shipped to New York city in the summer. In 1892, he left the canal, and engaged exclusively in the lumber business, and in 1893, they purchased the stage route between Alder Creek and Forestport. In the spring of 1895, they erected the present pulp mill, from which they ship six boat loads a week of forty cord each. They own a 1, 200 acre tract of timber land, and in connection with their pulp wood business, they furnish a Utica lumber company with logs; by contract they also ship a large amount of spar timber to New York city. Mr. Harrig has served as excise commissioner, town committeeman, etc. and is member and junior deacon of the Masonic fraternity, Uriel Lodge No. 809, of Forestport, and is also a member of the S. F. I. In 1892, he married Estella, daughter of Daniel and Anna Briggs, a native of Forestport, by whom he has one daughter, Denzil Lena. (p. 63) [Top]

HARRIS, HENRY was born in Parish of Plynt, county of Cornwall, England, February 22, 1824, son of Henry and Ann (Bate) Harris, natives of England. Mr. Harris died in parish of Landreath, in 1841, and Mrs. Harris came to America in 1869, and resided with her daughter in the town of Lee, where she died in 1873. Mr. Henry Harris' grandparents, John and Elizabeth Harris, were farmers in England. Mr. Harris was reared in England, where he served seven years' apprenticeship at the tailor's trade, and came to America in 1854, where he served three years' apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade. he later engaged in farming, which has been his life work, in connection with butchering, in which has been engaged eight years; and he has a farm of 192 acres. In 1856, he married Hannah, daughter of Truman and Eunice (Higbee) Harger, of Ava, by whom he ahs had seven children: James H. T., Eunice H. L., Eliza A. E. (deceased), Janet M. L., wife of No. Rockwell of Iowa; Sarah E. J., wife of T. R. Walker of South Dakota; Augusta E. M., wife of F. C. Silberhorn, of Chicago; and Susan M. L., wife of Henry Pohl, of Ava. Mrs. Harris died in 1868, and Mr. Harris married for his second wife Rachel Sassenbury, a native of Germany, by whom he had four children: Ella C., Samuel J., Edith R. and Rosena A. E. (deceased). Mr. Harris has been road commissioner for three years, and supervisor for four years. (p. 14) [Top]

HARRIS, JAMES, is a native of Prince Edward Island, where he was born in 1838, son of Thomas Harris. His father's people were from Bath, England, and his mother's people were from Aberdeen, Scotland. See was a descendant of the Kennedy family. James Harris began his education in Nova Scotia, and continued his studies in this county into which he came with his parents about the year 1849. In 1862 he engaged in bookkeeping here for Charles McLean; he also kept books for the firm of McLean, Royce & Co., doing business in Utica. In 1867 he opened up a general store in company with Lafayette Royce at Chadwicks, but after a year sold out to Mr. Royce and engaged in business in Utica with George W. Chadwick, late of Chadwicks, until 1870, when he returned here and took charge of the office work of the New Hartford Cotton Manufacturing Company, then just organized. In the same year he was appointed treasurer of the company and March 15, 1871, he was appointed secretary. October 15, 1874, he was appointed superintendent of the company's business, all of which offices he has continued to hold up to the present time. He has been chairman of the Board of Trustees of Union Free school, district No. 1, and president of the village. In 1888 he married Phebe Horrocks, of Little Falls, N. Y., by whom he had four children, one of whom, George Elbert, died when two years and ten months of age. He is a trustee and treasurer of the Butler Memorial Hall, a building erected and given to the town by the late Morgan Butler. (p. 250) [Top]

HARRIS, JOHN W., was born in Westernville, Oneida county, August 2, 1819, son of John and Mary (Sheldon) Harris, natives of Sharon, Conn., and Providence, R. I. respectively. His paternal grandfather, David Harris, was a prominent builder of his day, and for many years a resident of Lansingburg, N. Y. He spent the later years of his life in Westernville, where he died. The maternal grandfather, James Sheldon, a native of Providence, R. I. was among the pioneers of Remsen, and for many years was agent of the John Brown tract in the Adirondacks. IN early life he was a distiller of essential oil. John Harris, father of John W., was born February 14, 1785, came to Trenton, Oneida county, in 1793, and served an apprenticeship at the tanner and currier trade. He located at Westernville in 1814, where he embarked in business for himself, in which he continued for twenty years, when he sold out and in 1835, located on the farm now occupied by his on, John W., where he died August 10, 1860. His children were Mary (Mrs. Gustavus S. French); Emeline (Mrs. Horatio Castle); Abbie M. (Mrs. Freedom French) and John W., our subject, who ahs always been a resident of Western, where he engaged in farming, and has lived on the old homestead since 1835. Mr. Harris is a member of the Presbyterian church, of which his father was an elder for many years. He has been president of the Oneida County Farmers' Insurance Company, and in politics is a Republican. (p. 65) [Top]

HART, SETH W., was born on the farm where he now lives, December 20, 1830, son of Euratas Hart, who was born in the town of Paris, October 25, 1799. The grandfather, Abel Hart, emigrated from Connecticut in 1790, and engaged in farming, which occupation the family has since followed, Seth W. now owning a farm of 145 acres of prosperous land. Euratus Hart married Betsey Walker, of Paris, N.Y., by whom he had eight children. Seth W. received his education in the district school. He married Isabelle, daughter of Dwight Mosher, of the town of Augusta, by whom he had three children: James, Mary, and Susan E. (p. 160) [Top]

HATFIELD, RICHARD E., one of the substantial and influential farmers of this town, has been a resident of the immediate vicinity since 1851, when the family of George J. Hatfield, his father, first settled here. They came from South Wales, and the elder, now deceased, was noted for his integrity and industry and soon became master of a competence and position among the most respected people in New Hartford. Richard Hatfield, like his father, tilled the soil with diligence and has become so situated as to enjoy the fruit of his labors. He was born in Wales December 25, 1836. In 1861 he married Mary Davis, a daughter of the late David Davis, of South Clinton. He has served his town as assessor and superintendent of the poor. (p. 369) [Top]

HATHAWAY, GILBERT, was born in Herkimer county, N. Y., in 1839, son of Isaac B. and Rebecca (Higby) Hathaway. He was reared in Lewis county, N. Y., educated in the common schools, has always followed farming as an occupation, and since 1870 has resided in Western, on the farm he now owns. His wife was Margaret, daughter of Jacob and Agatha(Wellman) Wolfe, of Rome, by whom he had two children living: Levi B. and Herbert H. Mr. Hathaway and wife are members of the M. E. church, and in politics he is a Republican. (p. 164) [Top]

HAVEN, A. G. was born in Sangerfield, N. Y., September 23, 1846, son of P. B. and Elizabeth (Putnam) Haven. His grandfather was John Haven, a native of Connecticut. M. A. G. Haven has been engaged in the brick manufacturing business all of his life. In 1865, the firm of P. B. Haven & Son was formed; P. B. Haven began the business in 1835. A. G. Haven was a charter member of the Waterville Grange, and justice of the peace of the town of Sangerfield. In 1869, he married Frances M. Bartholomew, by whom he had two sons: George B. and Sherman W. George B. is a professor in the Institution of Technology in Boston, Mass. Sherman W. is a student at the Auburn Theological Seminary, preparing for the ministry. (p. 68) [Top]

HAVILAND, L. P., was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., December 6, 1848, son of Lyman Haviland, who was born in Connecticut. L. P. was educated in Brooklyn, and his long experience as manager of the canning business has given him a great knowledge of that business, until at this time he is known as a thorough expert, and now conducts one of the largest canning factories of Oneida county, which is located at Camden, the old plant of John Mix. In 1866, James Day started business, but the plant was destroyed by fire in 1868. Mr. Day rebuilt the factory, which Mr. Haviland now owns, where he turns out canned goods in large quantities. He is president of the Board of Water Commissioners, and in politics he is a Republican. (p. 70) [Top]

HAWKINS, JAMES S., was born in Canada, December 23, 1822, and came to the United States with his parents when a year old. He was educated in the district schools in various places, and has been a boat builder by occupation. March 23, 1843, he married Jane E. Pratt, of Rome, N.Y., by whom he had eight children, two of whom died in infancy: Delos A., Salome M., Udell R., Addie M., Frances E., and Sarah J., all of whom are married. Mr. and Mrs. Hawkins have thirty-one grandchildren. October 18, 1861, Mr. Hawkins enlisted in Co. K, 97th N.Y.S. Vols., re-enlisted January 4, 1864, and participated in the following engagements: South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run, Raccoon Ford, Battle of the Wilderness, Laurel Hill, Spottsylvania Court House, North Anna River, Bethsaida Church, White Oak Swamp, in front of Petersburg, and the Weldon Railroad, where he was taken prisoner August 19, 1864, and was in Libby and Salisbury Prisons, was exchanged and returned to his company May 6, 1865. He was honorably discharged June 9, 1865, from Navy School Hospital. He is a member of Joseph Warren Post, of Verona, N.Y., No. 615, G.A.R., Department of New York. (p. 134) [Top]

HAWKINS, W.S., was born in Malone, Franklin county, N. Y., son of William H. and Prudence (Miles) Hawkins. His father was a Methodist minister, and his mother was a daughter of Joseph Miles of Potsdam. W.S. Hawkins was educated at Potsdam Normal School and Syracuse University, from which he was graduated in 1883. He began his course in 1875, but broke off to return to Potsdam, where he started the St. Lawrence Herald, and conducted it for four years, after which he returned to college. He taught school in Trinity Hall, Washington, Pa., having charge of the boys' preparatory department for one year, when he took a position on the Syracuse Herald, and after one year he went to the Rome Sentinel, and finally to Waterville in 1885. He purchased the Reflex and in 1888 purchased the Times, and incorporated the two into the present Waterville Times. In June, 1890, he married Lucia C. Candee, daughter of the late William B. Candee. (p. 123) [Top]

HAYES, HON. ALBERT L.., was born at Hawkinsville, in 1847, son of Jonas Hayes, the most prominent farmer of that locality, and whose settlement in the town was at the early date of 1823. He is still living at the age of eighty-six. He married Marinda Harris, who died in 1874, by whom he had five sons. Albert L. Hayes, after completing an academic course at Fairfield, began legal studies at Herkimer in 1867. In 1870 he was admitted to the bar and began practicing at Boonville. In the investigations and reformatory legislation which marked the celebrated "ninety-fifth session " of the Assembly, Mr. Hayes was a central figure as one of the judiciary committee. He also takes an active interest in the local affairs, and has been a justice most of the time since 1874. (p. 176-177) [Top]

HAYES, CHARLES R., was born in West Turin, Lewis county, N. Y., in 1868, son of Matthew Hayes, a native of Germany, born in 1821. Matthew Hayes was a shoemaker and came to America in 1841, going directly to Lewis county, where he pursued his trade for twenty years. He then engaged in farming, where he now resides. He has served as justice of the peace for twenty years. He married Catherine Haller, a native of Germany, and their children were Henry, who was drowned in Woodhull in 1893; William, and Charles R. Mrs. Hayes died in 1886. At the age of fourteen years, Charles R. began to learn the millwright's trade and has successfully followed it up to the present time. In October, 1892, he came to Forestport and engaged as manager of the Woodhull Lumber Company, but in 1894 he went into business for himself and erected a turning and planing mill and engaged in the lumber business. In 1890 Mr. Hayes married Caroline, daughter of Michael and Adeline (Croup) Miller, of Leyden, Lewis county, N. Y., by whom he has one child, Harry. (p. 96)[Top]

HAYES, E. N., was born in Boonville, Oneida county, September 23, 1851. His father, the late John P. Hayes, was also born in Boonville. Mr. Hayes assumed control of the retail trade in the grocery line in 1868 at the death of his father. In 1876 he married Ella J. Brinckerhoff, by whom he had four children: Eugenia, Rena, Harold and Laura Eugenia, the oldest died in 1879. Mr. Hayes still continues the business which he assumed at the death of his father; he takes an active interest in public affairs, and has served his townsmen for several years in positions of trust. At the present time Mr. Hayes is acting as assistant superintendent Section 1 of the Black River Canal. (p. 137) [Top]

HAYNES, ARCHIBALD M., was born in Western, April 16, 1831, son of James and Sarah (Thornton) Haynes, natives of Amsterdam and Unadilla, N. Y., respectively. Both his paternal and maternal grandfathers, Abel Haynes and Job Thornton, were pioneers of Western and farmers by occupation. James Haynes, father of Archibald M., was also a farmer, and lived and died in Western. He was the father of two children: Archibald M. and John C. Archibald M. was reared on the Haynes homestead in Western and educated in the common schools. In 1853 he went on the high seas as a sailor, in which capacity he served four years, visiting the principal seaports of North and South America, Europe, Asia and Africa, including Japan, since which time he has been engaged in farming in Western. He married four times; first, to Harriet Ford; second to Margaret, daughter of William Logan, of Lee, by whom he had five children: Martha (Mrs. Hamilton Barringer), James deceased, William deceased, Julius and Margaret; third, to Imogene, daughter of Hiram G. Bullock, of Western, by whom he had four children; Gardner, Henry, Mary and Sarah, deceased; fourth, to Ida, daughter of Hiram G. Bullock, by whom he had two children: Frank and Wyman. Mr. Haynes is a Democrat in politics, and has been justice of the peace in Western twenty-four years. (p. 165-166) [Top]

HAYNES, GEORGE H., born in Marcy, N. Y., December 31, 1840, son of Nathaniel and Eliza Haynes. Nathaniel Haynes was born in Connecticut, and settled in Marcy where he conducted a farm until his death in 1886. Mrs. Haynes died in 1845. George H. Haynes was educated in Marcy, and then engaged in farming, and was also engaged as a carpenter and builder for nineteen years; he then engaged in the railway mail service for over seven years, after which he engaged in the canning business which he has since continued. He conducts a canning factory in Whitesboro, where he is engaged in canning corn, which he ships largely through the Eastern and part of the Western States. He is one of the school trustees of the town, to which he was elected twelve successive years, and was re-elected at the last election, and he was village trustee for three years. Mr. Haynes married Sarah Whitten, daughter of Daniel Whitten of Whitesboro, by whom he has two children: Mae E. and Fred D. He belongs to the Oriental Lodge F. & A. M. of Utica. (p. 116) [Top]

HEATH, WILLIAM, was born in Corsham, Wiltshire, England, September 4, 1818, came to America in 1842, and settled in Rome, Oneida county, where he entered the employ of Merrill & Hayden, druggists and grocers. In the spring of 1845 he came to Utica and was employed in the soap and candle establishment of Thorn & Maynard. In the fall of 1849 he went to Oswego and engaged in business under the firm name of Heath & Powers, which later became Heath, Powers & Co. They carried on a large soap and candle business which was four years later sold to W. K. Powers. Mr. Heath returned to Utica and joined the firm of Maynard & Wright. Mr. Wright subsequently retired and the firm continued as Maynard, Heath & Co., for four years. He then joined in business with J. Touender & Co. , under the firm name of Heath & Touender, which continued until about 1885, when he retired to private life. He is a director in the Utica City National Bank and was a ruling elder of the First Presbyterian church and for several years has been one of its trustees. In June, 1851, he married Mary Cornelia Husted, of Clyde, N. Y., who bore him one child, Mary Louisa, wife of Dr. Earl D. Fuller, of Utica. Mrs. Heath died October 20, 1856, and he married second, July 26, 1859, Julia Northrop, daughter of Clark Northrop, of Utica, a descendant of an old New England family of Rhode Island. They have two children: Julia M. (Mrs. John Heath), of Leadville, Col., and Florence A. Utica. (p. 194-195) [Top]

HEMENWAY, HENRY M., was born in Marcy, February 17, 1817, son of Nathan and Martha D. (Bruce) Hemenway. He was one of nine children: Louise, Susan, Patty, Henry M., James, Aurelia, Janette, Martha D. and Margaret. He married Mary, daughter of Austin and Maria Fuller, by whom he has one child, Helen M., wife of Allison Holland. At the age of sixteen he left home and hired as a farm hand to Reuben Fox, near Holland Patent, where he remained until twenty-one, when he married and took on shares the farm of Aaron White of that place. When twenty- five he bought the farm in Floyd on which he has since resided. Mr. Hemenway was at one time captain in the State National Guards and is a descendant on the maternal side of the ancient Scottish family of Bruce. About 1660 his third great- grandfather, Thomas Eames, settled in Framingham, Mass., and was early chosen selectman. His house was burned by the Indians February 1, 1676, his wife killed with some of his children and others taken captive. The massacre was committed by twelve Indians headed by Nitus. The actors did not long escape the hands of justice. Nitus was killed March 27 at Marlboro by a party of English under Lieutenant Jacobs, and his wife sold. Annecocken was dead before the close of summer. August 12 a warrant was issued by Thomas Danforth, magistrate, for the arrest of Joshua Assunt, John Dublet, William Jackstraw and two of his sons, also Jackstraw's wife, all of them Monguncog Indians. Jackstraw and his two sons were examined by Mr. Danforth, to whom they confessed the act. The three were committed to prison with, probably, the others, and tried September 18 and three were executed on the 21. (p. 104) [Top]

HENDERSON, W.H., was born at Richland, Oswego county, in 1839. During early life he was engaged in farming in the vicinity of his birthplace, and after a tour of the far west, including four years in Northern Dakota, he purchased the Chapman Hotel property at Washington Mills. In 1861 he married Frances Menter, of Richland, N.Y. His father, David Henderson, formerly conducted a hotel at Richland, N.Y. (p. 337) [Top]

HEPWORTH, JOSEPH, was born in England, October 27, 1840, son of William and Judith Hepworth. The family came to this country in 1842, and first settled in Oriskany, where they lived three years, and from there moved to New York Mills about fifty years ago. William Hepworth was in the employ of the New York Mills for over forty years, and died in 1887. Joseph was educated in the public schools of New York Mills, and Whitestown Seminary, after which he entered the employ of the New York Mills. At the outbreak of the Civil war, he volunteered and went to the front with Co. L, 14th New York Artillery, and was engaged in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Spottsylvania Court Hourse, and Petersburg. He was taken prisoner at Petersburg, June 17, 1864, and was taken direct to Andersonville prison, where he spent four months, and was then removed to Florence, where he spent two months. He was paroled at Florence, and then exchanged after he returned to the Union lines. He was mustered out by reason of the close of the war. He participated in some of the hottest battles of the war, and was fortunate in escaping without a wound, but was compelled to endure the horrors of Andersonville prison. Mr. Hepworth is a member of the G.A.R. and has been commander for a number of terms. He married Sarah Ackroyd of New York Mills by whom he has two children: William and Addie. Mr. and Mrs. Hepworth are members of the Methodist church, of which he is trustee and also superintendent of the Sunday school. He has been a merchant in New York Mills about twenty-two years, and carries a large and varied stock of merchandise. His son William is associated with him, the firm now being J. Hepworth & son. (p. 224) [Top]

HERBAGE, MRS. WILLIAM.--The late William Herbage was born in Northamptonshire, England, son of James and Martha Herbage. He came to the United States in 1830, first coming to Utica, and from there to New York Mills. He was employed by the New York Mills to do their painting, both of the mills and residence property, and was engaged in this work for almost sixty years. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, and was a man highly esteemed in the community in which he lived. He married Janet, daughter of George and Christine Braid of Edinburgh, Scotland, by whom he had four children: Mary; William, living in Whitehall, N.Y.; Janet; and Frances, married to C.J. Barber of Auburn, N.Y. Mr. Herbage died April 19, 1889. (p. 323) [Top]

HERMANT, ERNEST T., was born in France, February 23, 1840, son of Cassimere and Clementine Hermant, natives of France, who came to Utica in 1856 and thence Deerfield, where they reside, he at the age of seventy-eight, and she at the age of eighty. He is a wheelright and blacksmith, and for a number of years carried on the business at Deerfield with his son Edward T. , who still runs the shop, Mr. Hermant having retired a few years ago. Ernest T. was educated in France, and Williams's private school at Utica. He engaged in farming for three years, selling out in 1873. In 1884 he bought seven acres, to which he has added six acres, and all of which he cultivates as a market garden. He carried on a greenhouse business at Deerfield from 1885 to 1894, when he rented his business to Mr. Soller. September 11, 1870, he married Mary, daughter of George Pfluger of Deerfield, a native of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Hermant have four children: Flora, Theodore C., William E., and Leo M. He is a member of Skenandoa Lodge, No. 95, I. 0. 0, F., and also of the Church of the Redeemer at Utica, N. Y.

HEWETT, C.E., was born in the town of Marshall, March 27, 1830, son of Jedediah and Falley (King) Hewett. He learned the trade of joiner and carpenter, and worked at it for fifteen years, when he engaged in wagon building, which he followed for twenty-six years, retiring in 1895. In 1850 he married Adeline C. Wilmott, by whom he has two daughters, Mrs. Richard Corcoran of Albion, Mich., and Nellie A., born in Appleton, Wis., in 1860. (p. 303) [Top]

HICKOX, W. JEROME, the son of J. Wesley and Clarinda Storey Hickox, was born October 24, 1839, in Syracuse, N. Y., where he lived until twenty years of age. He then removed to New York and engaged in the transportation business, which he continued for fifteen years. In 1873 he entered into real estate business in Oneida, and June 9, 1875 he married Florilla, only daughter of Ron. Timothy and Harriet Tuttle Jenkins. Mr. Jenkins, who is well remembered as one of the most distinguished lawyers and ablest citizens of the State of New York, had long resided in the pretty village of Oneida Castle, and to the spacious old homestead which had for so many years been the center of pleasant hospitality, Mr. Hickox came to live and share his wife's tender care of her widowed mother. Mr. Hickox had large business interests at Oneida, and his public spirit made him prominent in all that concerned the life of the village. He took also a keen interest in politics, unalloyed by any self-seeking, and he was warmly appreciated by his friends for his most genial and gentle nature. Perhaps to his fine physique and perfect health was partly due his rich endowment of cheerfulness, that "sunshine of the heart" which was an irresistible charm in social intercourse, He died March 4, 1894, after a very short and sudden illness. Few men have been more affectionately mourned. (p. 204-205) [Top]

HICKS, ALPHEUS, son of Jacob, was born in Wisconsin October 5, 1846, and in 1847 came with his parents to Lee, Oneida county, where his father died in 1850. In 1856 his mother married Ezekiel Van Dresar, and he remained on the farm in Western until he reached the age of eighteen when he entered the employ of his uncle. In 1867 he married Amelia C. Crill, a native of North Steuben, Oneida county, and resided on a farm in Western and Trenton five years each. During the next ten years he was proprietor of Hicks's mills, near Rome, and later was engaged in milling in Delta. In August, 1889, he came to Utica, and with Charles S. Davis kept a livery on Hotel street for a year. Mr. Davis then sold out to John B. Whitten and since then the firm has been Hicks & Whitten. Mr. Hicks is a member of the Oriental Lodge F.& A.M., Fort Schuyler Lodge, I.O.O.F., and the K.P. He has three children: Mabel A., William A., and Edward C. (p. 248) [Top]

HICKS, JOHN W., was born near where he now resides, April 24, 1842, son of William jr. and Mary (Wright) Hicks. His grandfather, William, sr. came from England and settled here about 1824; he engaged in pioneer farming, and was known as Judge Hicks, who accumulated considerable wealth and was a large land owner. William jr. was prominent in all affairs of his town. John W. was one of nine children: Sarah Martha (deceased), Mary E., John W., Annie M., Thomas J. (deceased), Agnes L. (deceased), James S. (deceased), George E. and Fred H. He married Harriet A., daughter of George and Nancy Powell, by whom he has one child, William P. He has been elected assessor for the past nine years. He is a member of St. Peter's Episcopal Church at Oriskany, and belongs to the Oriskany F. & A. M., No. 799, and has been junior warden of the Hampton Lodge No. 347, also senior master of ceremonies, and senior deacon. Of the United Friends, he has been chief councilor for four years, and delegate to the Grand Council. He is also a member of the Marcy Grange, Patrons of Industry, and now holds office of county vice-president and past president of the Stittville Lodge No. 314; and of the Grand Orient of Stittville. He is a director of the Black River Fish & Game Association, and is also its vice-president. William Hicks married Carrie J. Bolton, and they have one child, Alice Alma. (p. 48) [Top]

HICKS, NICHOLAS H., was born in Deerfield, Oneida county, N. Y., March 29, 1834, son of George and Elizabeth (Harter) Hicks. George Hicks was a farmer of Deerfield, and died in 1840, and his wife died in 1884. The maternal grandfather, Nicholas Harter, came from Herkimer county, and was a pioneer of Deerfield, settling on the farm now owned by our subject. Nicholas H. Hicks was educated at the schools of Utica, and has since engaged in farming, now owning the home farm of fifty acres, and carries on gardening and truck farming. In 1865 he married Adaline, daughter of Van and Rebecca Sweet, deceased, by whom he had five children: George N., real estate agent at Omaha, Neb.; Frances, who died when twenty-eight years of age; Herbert D., stenographer, typewriter and real estate agent at Chicago; Clarence, a farmer of Deerfield; and Mary, who lives at home. Mr. Hicks is a Democrat in politics, and has been supervisor of his town for seven years. (p. 214) [Top]

HICKS, WILLIAM HARRISON, was born in Western, Oneida county, August 28, 1824, son of Alpheus and Mary (Lane) Hicks, natives of Massachusetts and New York, respectively. His paternal grandfather, David Hicks, was one of the four original settlers of Western, where he located in 1788, and cleared and improved a farm from the wilderness, and there he died. He assisted in building a bridge across the Mohawk River, this side of Albany, near Elmer Hill in Western, in 1798, also assisted in organizing the First Baptist church in Steuben, now called Western, was an exhorter and deacon in this church. He bought a bushel of potatoes on his back through the wilderness from Whitesboro to his home, a distance of fifteen miles in 1789. He married Mary Sprague. Alpheus Hicks was born in 1775, and from thirteen years of age lived on the old homestead in Western, where he died in 1861. During the war of 1812, he was in the service of the United States in the transportation of provisions and other necessaries for the Federal Army. He married Mary, daughter of George and Hannah (Wiggins) Lane, a descendant of the Lanes who came over on the Mayflower in 1620. Her father assisted in throwing the tea overboard in Boston Harbor, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Mr. and Mrs. Hicks were the parents of thirteen children, nine of whom grew to maturity; Hannah, Ephraim, Jacob, Isaac, Mary, Sarah, John, Eliakim, and William H. of whom the latter and Sarah are the only survivors. William Harrison Hicks owns the old homestead in Western, where all but fifteen years of his life has been spent. Since 1884, he has resided in Delta. In September, 1855, he married Angeline E., daughter of Alfred and Rhoda (Denison) Martin, of Floyd, Oneida county, N. Y. (p. 59) [Top]

HILSINGER, MYRON, was born in Milford, N.Y., son of Samuel and Alvira (Osterhout) Hilsinger. He has been a horseman all of his life, excepting a short time in the mercantile business. Since the Waterville race track came into his control, it has been noted for its excellent training facilities, and Mr. Hilsinger has a reputation second to none for handling horses. He came to Waterville in the spring of 1889. In 1880 he married Ida, daughter of David Baird, one of the greatest horsemen of his day, by whom he has two sons and two daughters. (p. 313) [Top]

HINMAN, WILLIAM, born in Stockbridge, N. Y., August 15, 1832, and moved to Knoxboro with his parents, where he has resided since 1838. His father, Harlow Hinman, was a native of Connecticut, and was one of the early settlers in Stockbridge. He engaged in farming for a time, and conducted the hotel at the village of Knoxboro. He married Caroline Powers, of Augusta. and she died in Knoxboro in 1860, and Mr. Hinman died April 5, 1853. William Hinman was educated at Knoxboro, and when his course was completed, returned to his father's farm. He has conducted it, accumulating and adding to it each year, until he has now one of the finest farm properties in the county. Mr. Hinman has been supervisor for several terms, and is now president of the Oneida Agricultural Society, and has also been school trustee for thirty years. January 1, 1854, he married Abbie Vaughn, of Augusta, who was born October 1, 1833, and by whom he has four children: Charles V., born June 12, 1856: William J., born July 4, 1858; George G., born September 7, 1864; and Maud E., born November 6, 1872. (p. 282) [Top]

HITCHCOCK, ALBERT, was born at Lebanon Springs, Columbia county, March 9, 1848, son of Julius V. and Delia Hitchcock. Julius Hitchcock was born in 1807, and was engaged in farming and sheep raising, and he moved to Whitestown in 1850 and conducted a farm of 125 acres. He was commissioner of highways several terms, and always took an active interest in the success of his party, in which he was a staunch Democrat. Albert Hitchcock was educated in the Whitestown Seminary, from which he was graduated. He was for sixteen years proprietor of the Whitestown and Utica Express. He was for two years conductor on the New York Central Railroad, and is now one of the firm of the Central Coal Company of Whitesboro. Mr. Hitchcock owns the old Wetmore homestead, and this celebrated residence is 110 years old. There is on this property a spring, out of which the Marquis de La Fayette drank when he was serving in the Revolutionary war. Mr. Hitchcock married Elizabeth Wetmore of Whitestown, by whom he has one son, Clarence W., a druggist in Newark, N. J. Mr. Hitchcock is a Democrat, and he and his wife are members of the Baptist church at Whitesboro. (p. 228) [Top]

HOOPER, JOHN, was born in Pembrockshire, Wales, April 29, 1837, son of David P. and Margaret (Lewis) Hooper, who came to America in 1852, and after spending one year in Rome, Oneida county, removed to Cattaraugus county, where the father died June 30, 1892. John Hooper was reared in Wales and New York State, and since 1867 has been a resident of Western, where he engaged in farming. In 1867 he married Julia, daughter of Joel S. and Margaret (Roberts) Williams, of Rome, by whom he has five children: Charles and Celia, twins; Joel, Ella, and Emma. In September, 1861, Mr. Hooper enlisted in Co. F, 5th N. Y. Cavalry, and was in nearly all the battles of the Army of the Potomac, also Gettysburg, second Bull Run, Wilderness, and was honorably discharged in October, 1864. (p. 164) [Top]

HORRIGAN, JOHN, was born in Albany, N. Y., August 8, 1842, son of Patrick Horrigan, who was born in Ireland, and came to the United States in 1831, settling on a farm near Florence village. He married Mary McNamara of New York, and they have five children who are living: Mary, John, Bidget, Ellen, and Michael. John is a farmer, and since 1860, in addition to his farming, has engaged in blacksmithing and dealth in agricultural implements. He married Elizabeth Lafferty of Florence, daughter of John Lafferty, and they have a family of seven children: Mary F., Eva E., Ellen, Louisa, William, and Lillian. Mr. Horrigan was town clerk for two years. In politics he is an Independent. (p. 171) [Top]

HORSEY, DR. GEORGE F., son of Edward, was born in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, August 31, 1846. and received his education in the public schools of his native city. His father, a native of England, was a government architect, came to Canada in 1839, and died in Kingston in 1869. Dr. Horsey studied dentistry with Dr. B. W. Day, of Kingston, was graduated from Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario, at Toronto, March 5, 1875. and began practice in Chicago. In 1878 he came to Utica and practiced about ten years. He was the first dentist outside of New York city to take up the practice of crown and bridge work, beginning in 1882. In 1887 he went to Mexico and spent a few months instructing dentists in that work, and in 1888 returned to Utica. In May of the same year he went to South America and instructed dentists in Buenos Ayres. Monteviedo, and Rio de Janeiro. He thence went to London and practiced a short time and returned to Utica in January, 1890. In the fall he went to Mexico for his health and remained three years, practicing most of the time. He again returned to Utica in 1893 and since then has followed operative dentistry. He is a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 2, F. & A. M., of Kingston. June 20, 1878, he married Harriet L. Tuttle, a native of Watertown, N. Y., and their children are Burton T., George F., jr., Edward Noyes and Julia T. (p. 354-355) [Top]

HORTON, GEORGE C., son of James, was born in Sandisfield, Berkshire county, Mass., July 10, 1843, and moved with his parents to Herkimer, N. Y., in the spring of 1849. There James Horton was for three years the buyer and salesman for the Laflin Brothers Paper Company, manufacturers of writing papers. Leaving them he engaged in the powder business in Frankfort and continued until his death in 1870. George C. Horton was educated in the public schools of Herkimer and Frankfort, Whitestown Seminary, and at Hamilton College, teaching school in the mean while during part of each year for eight successive years. His school teaching commenced in the fall of 1860. In the spring of 1869 he settled in Utica and became a member of the firm of Rowley Brothers & Co., which in January, 1879, was changed to Rowley & Horton. This is the oldest paper firm in Utica. Mr. Horton is a member and trustee of the Tabernacle Baptist church, and has been very prominent in the Young Men's Christian Association, serving as one of the trustees since its organization, as treasurer of the board since February, 1895, as its first secretary, and two years as its president. He was one of its founders, and has always taken an active interest in its growth and prosperity. (p. 268) [Top]

HOUGHTON, THOMAS, was born in the village of Barton, Leicestershire, England, February 4, 1822, and came to Westmoreland, N. Y., in 1852, where he engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in March, 1892. He married Hannah Harrison, who was born in Rathby, Leicestershire, England, and they came to Westmoreland, with three children who were born in England: Fannie, Mary Ann and Thomas. The children born in this country were George H., born November 6, 1852, a practicing physician in Albany; John, born September 22, 1854; Ira, born March 1, 1856; Edwin, born March 6, 1858; Frederick (deceased) and Seth Albert, born January 12, 1866. Ira Houghton is a farmer in Westmoreland, Edwin is in Des Moines, Iowa; and Seth Albert is farming in Westmoreland. (p. 291) [Top]

HOVEY, GEORGE I., was born in Deansville, March 6, 1871, son of Charles and Amelia (Skinner) Hovey. His grandfather, Isaac Hovey, came to this place in 1848, where he was a physician and prominent man of his day. George I. was educated at the Cazenovia Seminary and Syracuse Commercial College, and outside of this college life his residence has been in Deansville. In November, 1892, he married Eva L. Skinner. In March 1893, he was elected justice of the peace, which office he now fills with much ability. He is also interested in educational affairs, and was elected a member of the Board of Education in August 1894. (p. 75) [Top]

HOVEY, MRS. JULIETTA (KILMER), was born in Duanesburg, Schenectady county, N.Y., in 1834, daughter of William H. and Julia S. (Alling) Kilmer; the former a native of Schenectady county, born in 1805, and the latter, a native of Milford, Conn., born in 1799. William H. Kilmer was always engaged in carpentry, bridge and public work, and came to Oneida county in 1841, and in 1854 he removed to Forestport, where he now resides with Mrs, Hovey at the age of ninety years. Their children were Gideon A., Philip G., Julietta D. and Henry C. In January, 1858, Mrs. Hovey married Philip George Hovey, a native of Leyden, N. Y., who was born in 1833, son of George and Sybil S. Hovey. Mr. Hovey spent his entire life in the lumber business, and for years owned canal boats; he also owned large saw mills and built a number of dwellings in Forestport. He was a man of public spirit and enterprise; had a limited education, but much natural business ability. He filled the office of commissioner of highways, and numerous other offices, and was a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. and Mrs. Hovey had three children: Kittie H., wife of F. X. Solzman, of Forestport; Helen A., a graduate of the Oswego Normal School, and for several years a teacher in Atlanta, Ga.; and Georgianna, also a teacher. Mr. Hovey died in August, 1889, and both he and his wife were members of the Episcopal church. (p. 208) [Top]

HOWARTH, FREDERICK E., was born in Utica August 13, 1866, and is a son of John Howarth who came from England about 1834 and for several years was engaged in the manufacture of cement pipe. He was educated in the Utica public schools and was graduated from the advanced school in 1881, and then became a clerk for Howarth & Ballard, druggists, with whom he remained nine years. In 1891 he organized and incorporated the Utica Cabinet Company, capitalized at $10,000, and has since been its secretary and manager. This company manufactures roll-top desks, office supplies, and wood novelties, and utilizes the works formerly occupied by the Utica Furniture company on the corner of Broad and Gilbert streets in East Utica. Mr. Howarth is a member of the Utica Citizen Corps, of Faxton Lodge F. & A.M., and of Imperial Council R. A. He was married September 12, 1894, to Miss Nellie L., daughter of Micajah Pinkney, of St. Paul, Minn. (p. 364) [Top]

HUBBARD, EDWARD, was born in the town of Kirkland, on the farm where he now resides, June 16, 1836. His father, Anson Hubbard, emigrated from Connecticut, with his father, John Hubbard, when eleven years of age. They cleared a farm of 150 acres, living in a log cabin for five years, after which they built a frame house, part of which now stands to their memory. Their ancestors came over on the Mayflower. Anson Hubbard married Abigail Tompkins of Paris, Oneida county, by whom he had seven children, Edward, now being the only one living. Edward Hubbard received his education in this town, and married Caroline, daughter of William C. Burrett, of the town of Marshall, by whom he has three children: William A., Grace, and Charles. (p. 75) [Top]

HUBBARD, GEORGE M., was born in Wayne county, August, 1822, son of Maximus and Zilpha (Sylvester) Hubbard. His grandfather, Simon Hubbard, came to Wayne county in 1790, and George M. Hubbard still owns the land upon which he settled. Mr. Hubbard has been engaged in distilling, brewing and farming, and is now conducting a coal and mill business. He is married to Myra M. Scott, by whom he has one daughter, Helen, wife of H.M. King, who is in partnership with him. Mr. Hubbard is a prominent Mason, also a Knight Templar, and has belonged to the fraternity for over three years. (p. 313) [Top]

HUBBELL FAMILY.--In December, 1789, there came to old Fort Schuyler, from Lanesboro, Mass., Mathew Hubbell, who had served as a soldier in the Revolution and was at the battle of Bennington. He purchased a farm, which included much of what is now known as the Eighth ward of Utica. He died in 1819. Of a large family, the most closely identified with the growth of Utica was his son, the late Hon. Alrick Hubbell, who was born in 1801 and died in 1877. In early years he became colonel of what was then the 211th Regiment of State militia. He was twice mayor of the city and served two terms in the State Senate. From 1816 to 1818 he was clerk for Col. Benjamin Walker, the former aid and confidential friend to Baron Steuben. At the time of his death Mr. Hubbell had lived seventy-six years on the same street and within half a mile of the house where he was born. Two sons, Henry S. and Alfred S. Hubbell, of Buffalo, and two daughters, Mrs. Albon P. Mann, of New York, and Mrs. J. C. P. Kincaid, of Utica, survive him. The latter, with her two sons, Lieut. Frederick W. Kincaid, and Robert C., are undoubtedly the only living direct representatives in Utica of any family who settled here as early as 1789. (p. 241) [Top]

HUDSON, JOEL, was born in Stockport, County Cheshire, England, January 29, 1849, son of Thomas and Mary (Cheatham) Hudson. His mother with four children came to America in 1854, and located in Rome, where she resided until her death in 1862. Her children were Henry, Joel, Sarah M. (Mrs. Jacob Groff), and Martha, deceased. Joel Hudson was reared in England and Oneida county, N. Y. He received a common school education, and began life as a farm laborer, which he followed until 1864, when he purchased a farm of ninety-three acres in Lee, which he sold and now owns two adjoining farms in the same town, comprising 145 acres. In February, 1864, he married Sarah, daughter of William and Alvira (Dunbar) Robinson, of Lee, by whom he has one daughter, Edith (Mrs. Frank Affolter). Mr. Hudson started in life with nothing, and by his own efforts has secured a competence. He is a member of the F.& A. M. Mrs. Alvira Robinson will be eighty-five years old the 19th day of May, 1896. She has three daughters living; Sarah Hudson Stokes; Samantha Rector, Utica; Mary Perkins, Lee Center. (p. 55) [Top]

HUGGINS, E.H., was born in England, June 19, 1845, and came to America with his parents in 1852, when they settled in Waterville. Mr. Huggins learned the butcher trade, and followed it for several years, after which he engaged in farming. After fifteen years of that occupation he returned to the meat business, as partner of the firm of Huggins & Melvin, October 1, 1895. Mr. Huggins married Margaret Jones, by whom he has three children: George, Clarence and Hattie, now Mrs. Walter Mack. Mr. Huggins is a Republican and a member of the Masonic fraternity. (p. 317) [Top]

HUGHES, EDGAR, was born in Boonville, in 1863, son of John J. Hughes, who died in 1886. His mother was Sarah A. McClusky of Boonville, and here he was educated. He was early connected with the flour and feed mill, and was also proprietor of the Washington meat market, and his first public office was that of president of the village in the years 1893, 1894; he was also a member of the Board of Health and now holds the responsible position of canal superintendent, of section No. 1, Black River Canal over which he has charge, having seventy-two locks, requiring fifty-two tenders, which with other employees, constitute about 100 men under his direction. Mr. Hughes is president of the Acme Hose Co., also secretary of the I. O. O. F. (p. 14) [Top]

HUGHES, JOHN W., was born in Remsen, Oneida county, January 17, 1842, son of William and Catherine (Roberts) Hughes, natives of North Wales, who came to America in 1841, locating in Remsen, where they remained two years and then removed to Henderson Harbor, Jefferson county, N. Y., thence to Wisconsin, and in 1845 located in Rome, where the father engaged in street contracting and speculating in real estate, and where he resided until his death, which occurred June 16, 1894, aged seventy-four years. He had four children, of whom John W. was the only one to reach maturity. John W. was educated in the public schools of Rome, and during the late Civil war was a member of Co. B. 146th N. Y. Vols., enlisting August 26, 1862, served eighteen months, and was in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. Since 1867 Mr. Hughes has been engaged in farming, and has been a resident of Western since 1877. In 1867 he married Ann, daughter of Owen 0. and Jeanette Evans, of Constableville, N. Y., by whom he has five children surviving; one, Kittie, died young; those living are Jeanette, Elizabeth (Mrs. Hamilton), Grace, Catharine and William. (p. 103-104) [Top]

HUGHES, ROBERT P., was born in North Wales, Denbeighshire, February 24, 1832, son of Hugh and Elizabeth (Everett) Hughes. Mr. Hugh Hughes with his family came to the United States in 1837, settling first in Western, then in Constableville and then went to Remsen. In these places he conducted flour mills, and he is supposed to have made the first oatmeal prepared in this State, adapting his own machinery to that purpose. His death occurred when he was within three months of being ninety years of age. He was in the employ of the New York Mills for about forty years. Robert P. Hughes came to New York Mills at thirteen years of age, and entered the employ of the company, and worked his way through the mills, filling various positions, and he is now overseer of two departments, and has been in the employ of the mill over fifty years. He married Marcia Averill. daughter of Alba Crafts of Otsego county. Her grandfather, Joseph Crafts, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, attached to the personal staff of Washington. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes had three children: Josephine, married to Frank S. Williams, of Clinton, a lawyer in New York city; Edward R. and Franklin R. (deceased). (p. 295-296) [Top]

HUNT, MRS. A. A., M. D., is the owner and proprietor of the Verona Springs House, and Isadora B. Payne is the conductor and manager. This is a noted summer resort, having accommodations for about eighty guests. The celebrated Verona Mineral Springs are located on the hotel grounds; these springs have long been noted for their valuable medical properties. This hotel is, perhaps, one of the oldest of its kind in the country, having a reputation that has been increasing for over half a century. It is unsurpassed in location and surroundings, and is one of the pleasantest and best kept summer resorts in Oneida county, in addition to the valuable curative properties of its celebrated mineral springs. Mrs. Dr. Hunt has owned the property for many years. (p. 291-292) [Top]

HURLBUT, HENRY, was born in the town of Ava, N. Y., October 1, 1853, son of Samuel, a native of Boonville, and Minerva (Bardsley) Hurlbut, a native of Ava. Samuel Hurlbut came from Boonville to Ava and purchased the farm now occupied by Henry Hurlbut, where he engaged in farming, and he spent his last days in Utica, where he died in October, 1881. Mrs. Hurlbut still lives and resides with her son on the homestead. Henry Hurlbut was educated at Rome Academy, and has always been engaged in farming on the homestead farm, except three years in the lumber business in Western. The farm of 330 acres is owned by Mr. Hurlbut and his brother Andrew, who is engaged in the general mercantile business. Mr. Hurlbut has a dairy of thirty-five to forty cows. In 1874 he married Nellie, daughter of Stephen and Esther (Harris) Potter, by whom he has three children: Ettie, Bertie and Mertie. (p. 212) [Top]