JACKSON, B. O., was born in Boonville, Oneida county, N. Y., in 1831, son of Thomas Jackson, of Fairfield, Herkimer county, a descendant of the old renowned family of Andrew Jackson. His father came here in pioneer times of 1807 and cleared the land where his son now resides. The farm is devoted to dairying and contains 240 acres on which Mr. Jackson erected an elegant modern residence in 1870. In 1863 he married Nancy C., daughter of Hamilton Rice of Fairfield, Herkimer county, by whom he had two children: Clara E. and Ward R. (p. 15) [Top]

JACKSON, ISAAC W., was born in Fairfield in 1815, son of William Jackson and cousin of Andrew Jackson. His boyhood was spent on the large farm of his father's in Fairfield, where he received his education in the common school and academy. Mr. Jackson resides on his 400 acre dairy farm, on Jackson Hill, Boonville, which is adorned with spacious and substantial buildings, including a model dairy barn, wherein the most modern methods are employed, and which was erected in 1879 under his personal supervision, In 1838 he married Clarrissa Ellis, by whom he had four daughters: Almira C., Melissa. I., Frances A., and Sophronia, wife of Webster Billington, of Bridgeport, N. Y., and the only daughter who survives her mother, whose death occurred in 1846. Mr. Jackson afterwards married Phebe A. Smith, by whom he had two sons: Irving and Drew W., both of whom are engaged in farming near Boonville. Mr. Jackson is a staunch Republican, ever since the formation of that party, previously being a Democrat. He voted for Van Buren in 1836, and has voted at every presidential election since, covering a period of sixty years. He is an ardent admirer of nature, and has devoted much time to scientific investigation. (P. 181) [Top]

JACKSON, JOHN T.--John Jackson's father was John Jackson, born in Boonville in 1830, and died October 9, 1857. His mother, Harriet Pitcher, was born in Boonville February 13, 1832, and they were married February 24, 1852; they had two sons; Roscoe N., born July 7, 1856, and John S., born November 8, 1857. His grandfather, John Jackson, of Herkimer, married Hester Neely and came to Boonville in 1817. She died in September, 1881, and her husband in 1829. Their children were Abraham, Jerome, Silas, Andrew, John, Jane and Ann. Abraham and Silas are living in Wisconsin, and the others are dead. Roscoe N. Jackson married Minnie Withington of Adams, and is now a physician in Faribault, Minn. John S. Jackson was born in Boonville, November 8, 1857; he has always been engaged in farming and owns 130 acres which is devoted to dairy products. In 1878 he married Cora Bell Talcott of Leyden, Lewis county, N. Y.; she was born in Leyden in 1859, and there lived until her marriage, November 6, 1878. They have three children: Pearl S., born October 23, 1881; Edith H., born October 1, 1885; Vere T., born December 23, 1890. (p. 130) [Top]

JACKSON, W. H., is a descendant of an old family identified at an early period with the history of Boonville. His father, William Stuart Jackson, was born in Boonville in 1815 and was a farmer by occupation. In politics he was a Democrat, and was supervisor of the town for several years. He was a member of the Masonic order, of which he has been master. He died November 9, 1887. W. H. Jackson was also born at Boonville in 1853. In 1876 he married Flora E., only daughter of William H. Cole, of Leyden, by whom he had four children: Jennie Laura, aged eighteen graduated from Boonville Academy in 1893 and has since become a successful teacher; William Carroll, aged seventeen, is taking the agricultural course at Cornell University; and two daughters who died in infancy. Mr. Jackson has officiated as master of the local grange for three years, of which his daughter Jennie was secretary for two years. He occupies the old homestead of 200 acres just north of the village of Boonville and is a prominent and successful farmer. (p. 38) [Top]

JACKSON, WALTER D., was born in 1829, son of Thomas Jackson, of English and Scotch descent, who was born at Fairfield, N. Y. He is a member of the old pioneer family, whose records can be ascertained as far back as 1747, the date of the birth of his great-great-grandfather, and whose lineage can be traced to the celebrated general by that name. Thomas Jackson withheld himself from political life, and instilled a similar aversion in the minds of his children, of whom he had nine. W. D. Jackson has always resided in Boonville, and been engaged in agricultural pursuits, having a farm of 240 acres, and beautiful buildings; also a large cheese factory which is conducted on his farm. In 1862 he married Mary Roberts, daughter of Channery Roberts of Leyden, by whom he has two children: Anna, wife of B. A. Capron the well-known attorney of Boonville, and J. Will Jackson. (p. 180) [Top]

JAMES, A. WILLARD, was born June 20, 1863, in Utica, as was also his father, Arthur M., who was a son of Joseph James, who came here from Welsh Bush, town of Frankfort, and followed his trade of architect and builder, and who was prominent in church work, being for several years an officer in the Tabernacle Baptist church. He was educated in the public schools of Utica and became a clerk of Bradstreet's Commercial agency. In 1883 he accepted a position as bookkeeper with Henry Hopson, real estate and fire insurance, with whom he has since remained. Mr James has been an active Republican, and in 1893 was elected city assessor of the Tenth ward for two years, being re-elected in November, 1895, for another term. He has been ward and city committeeman several times and a delegate to several political conventions. He is the official appraiser of real estate for the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York and a member and past noble grand of Oneida Lodge, No. 70, I. O. O. F., and a member and past chief of Tri-Mount Encampment, No. 24, I. O. O. F. He is also a trustee of the Odd Fellows Union. (p. 264) [Top]

JAMES, WILLIAM M., M. D., is a son of David and Clarissa (Tompkins) James, and was born at North Gage in the town of Deerfield, Oneida county, May 20, 1839. David James, farmer and brickmaker, was born in New Jersey. He came when a boy with his mother to this section of the State, and died in January, 1872, aged sixty-four. His wife died in January, 1880. They had seven children: Thomas T., who died in 1892; Dr. William M., of Utica; Spencer C., of Centerville, Iowa; Emeline (Mrs. Douglas J. Pullman), of Centerville, Iowa; Sarah C.; Charles A., of North Gage, on the homestead; and Harriet A. (Mrs. Hugh Jones) of Norway, Herkimer county. Dr. James was educated in the district school and in Whitestown Seminary and prepared for college but abandoned the idea of a collegiate training to read medicine with Dr. Luther Guiteau, of Trenton, N. Y. He attended lectures at Albany Medical College and at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York cit), from which he was graduated March 13, 1862. He was a member of the house staff in Bellevue Hospital during the two years following. While there he also performed the duties of examining surgeon in one of the provost marshal's offices for about one year. In March, 1864, he accepted and entered upon the position of surgeon in Lincoln General Hospital in Washington, where in consequence of poor health, he was compelled to resign and return home. He then became associated with his old preceptor in Trenton and in September, 1864, entered into partnership with him, continuing two years. In 1866 he came to Whitesboro and in 1869 opened his present office at 166 Genesee St., Utica, which he has occupied ever since. While in Bellevue he also took special instruction in the diseases of the eye under Dr. H. B. Noyes of New York. In Boston in 1869 he pursued special courses in diseases of the throat. He also took a special course in the diseases of women under Dr. Horatio R. Storer, the only man then to make a distinct specialty in giving instruction on the diseases of women in the United States. Dr. James has probably performed the only operations for the radical cure of tic-douloureux in this section of the State. He has performed almost every operation known to surgical science, many of a difficult and intricate character, and in this respect his hospital experience has proven inestimably valuable. He has made hundreds of post-mortem examinations, and while in Washington was detailed specially for this purpose in the military hospital where he served. He is a member of the Oneida County Medical Society, and has written several articles on medical subjects. He is also a member of Utica Lodge F. & A. M., Oneida Chapter R. A. M., and Utica Commandery, K. T. In April, 1865, he married Sarah F. Beecher, who died in 1867. He married second in Map, 1889, her sister, Marion E., daughter of Joel Beecher, of Carthage, N. Y. She died in 1877, leaving three children: Dr. Frederick W., of New York city; Sarah R., of Whitesboro, and Harry B., of Columbus, O. In March, 1879, he married for his present wife, Miss Serena Higby, of Whitesboro. (p. 187) [Top]

JAMIESON, ROBERT, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, son of Alexander and Betsey Jamieson. The family came to the United States in 1865, and Alexander was employed in the New York Mills until he died in 1882. Mrs. Jamieson is still living. Robert Jamieson engaged in work in the New York Mills, at which he has always continued. He is overseer of the weaving in Mill No. 1. He is a popular and prominent Republican, and has been elected supervisor two terms. He married Julia Cash of New York Mills, by whom he has one son, Edward C. Mr. and Mrs. Jamieson are members of the Presbyterian church of New York Mills. (p. 144) [Top]

JENKS, M. S., is a native of Deansville, son of Chester and Emily (Cowan) Jenks, natives of Massachusetts. His father being a farmer, he spent his early life on a farm, and has always been identified with the hop industry, for which this part of the country is celebrated. He has been a hop dealer for forty-three years, and has been supervisor of the town of Manheim. In 1866 he married Mary Browning, by whom he has one daughter, Mrs. D.C. Morgan of Clinton. (p. 312) [Top]

JENNY & NELBACH, manufacturers of and dealers in granite and marble monuments, became a firm in 1885. Francis X. Jenny, the senior member, was born in Rankweil, Voralberg, Tyrol, Germany, April 18, 1848, learned the trade of marble cutting in his native country, and came to America in February, 1869, settling in Utica. In 1871 he started business for himself in Boonville, but the following year sold out and established the works in Utica which in 1885 passed into the hands of Jenny & Nelbach. January 31, 1872, he married Anna Schreck, of Utica. Their oldest son is Frank J. Jenny (the well known bicycle rider). Joseph J. Nelbach was born at Kerpen, near Cologne, Germany, in 1858, and came to America in August, 1872. He married Josephine, daughter of Frank and Anna Schreck, of Utica, and a sister of Mrs. Jenny. The firm of Jenny & Nelbach is among the leading manufacturers of statuary, family vaults, art monuments, and sarcophgi, in Central New York, and has executed work all over the State. Many of their monuments are noteworthy. In Forest Hill cemetery, Utica, are the John Thorn, John Thomas, George F. Weaver, Pritchard, Rutherford, Hughes, McMullen, Coiling, Binder, and other artistic specimens. In St. Agnes's are the Costello, Maher, Ladow, Father Daley, and Farrell monuments, and in St. Joseph's may be mentioned those of Weiss and Dehs, George Windheim, Helfert, and Spath, and the cemetery cross. Besides they have set up scores of monuments in Syracuse, Canastota, Higginsville, Auburn, Ithaca. Clayville, West Winfield, Unadilla Forks, Richfield Springs, Cooperstown, Waterville, Geneva, Middleville, Herkimer, Richmondville, Brookfield, Albany, Rochester, Oswego, New York city, and Buffalo, in Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and even in Siam, Asia. In fact many of the cemeteries within a radius of 500 miles contain notable examples of their work. (p. 224) [Top]

JESSUP, BENJAMIN T., was born in Colchester, Delaware county, N.Y., April 12, 1813, son of Abraham and Phoebe Jessup, also of Colchester, N.Y. Mr. Jessup's ancestors came to this country in 1642. He went to New York at sixteen years of age, and was engaged in business there for fifty-eight years. Fifty years of this period, he was engaged in the manufacture of paints and oils, and was one of the pioneers in that business, and was the first to prepare zinc paint for painters' use. In 1887 he retired entirely from business, and bought the S. Newton Dexter place in Whitesboro. Mr. Jessup married Emily C., daughter of Robert Johnson, of Middletown, Conn., by whom he had four children: John C., Robert J., Henrietta, married to Edgar P. Glass of Syracuse, and Benjamin A. of Brooklyn, N.Y. His second wife is Mary E., daughter of John Tunbridge, of Utica. (p. 133) [Top]

JEWETT, JAMES G., was born in Whitestown, now a portion of Utica, August 17, 1807, son of Samuel and Sarah Jewett. Samuel Jewett was born in Jeffrey, N. H., November 17, 1765, and died January 31, 1831. Sarah, his wife, was born April 27, 1769, and died February 12, 1861. James G. Jewett was educated at the Utica Academy, after which he engaged in farming. He married Orissa F. Rhodes, of Paris, Oneida county, N.Y., who died in August, 1870, aged forty-eight years. They had these children: Annette O.; Sarah E., who married J. J. Taylor, of Forest City, Ia.; Samuel F., who lives at Elgin, Ills.; Emma E., deceased; James G., jr., who is a Mason, a member of Hampton Lodge No. 347 and Fort Stanwix Chapter No. 153; Lillias C., who married Carl A. Bliesmer, both deceased; Charles F., deceased; Grant R., who is in Circle City, Alaska; Arthur P., in Port Angeles, Wash.; Grant R., is also a Mason, Hampton Lodge No. 347, and Arthur P. also belongs to the same lodge, No. 347, and Port Stanwix Chapter No. 153. (p. 305) [Top]

JOERISSEN, JOSEPH, was born in Coblenz, Germany, February 16, 1830, spent his early life as a clerk in a counting house, and at the age of seventeen volunteered in the army and served through the revolution of 1848. June 14,1851, he bade farewell to fatherland and sailed for America, and for a time was employed in New York city and in traveling in the west. In 1854 he came to Utica and engaged in cigar manufacturing on the corner of Varick and Columbia streets. Selling out he entered the employ of Warnick & Brown, cigar manufacturers, and continued till 1859, when he started a cigar manufactory on Third street and also formed a partnership with his father-in-law, John G. Hutten, in the brewery business; since then he has continued as a cigar manufacturer, being located on the corner of South and Brinkerhoof streets since 1878. He withdrew from the brewery business in 1863, when he opened a restaurant and cigar store on Genesee street. This he soon sold and devoted his time wholly to cigar manufacturing. He was charity commissioner from 1890 to 1893, and since 1867 has been a member of the Utica Citizens Corps, becoming an honorary member in June, 1868. He is a charter member of Allamania Lodge I. 0. 0. F., and has held all the chairs in that body. He is also a member of the Germania Industrial Association, the Utica Maennechor, and the Utica Turn Verein, and a charter member of Utica Lodge, Knights of Honor. (p. 204) [Top]

JOHNSON, CHARLES H., was born in the town of Paris, N. Y., July 11, 1827, son of Lloyd, a native of Connecticut, and Laura (Luce) Johnson, a native of Vermont. His grandfather, Sampson Johnson, was one of the first settlers in the town of Paris, In 1852 he married Kate A., daughter of Eleazer and Fidelia (Eldred) Brace, by whom he has two sons: Bert C. and Fred. The latter is a member of the Patrons of Industry, and is a prominent Odd Fellow, in which he is noble grand. Mrs. Johnson's grandfather was Capt. Asel Brace of Revolutionary fame. Mr. Johnson has been engaged in farming all his life, and has been inspector of elections for nearly forty years in succession. (p. 272)

JOHNSON, JAMES, was born in Rome, September 1, 1842, son of Thomas and Hannah Johnson. Thomas came from Yorkshire, England, and settled in Westmoreland, N. Y., where he engaged in farming until his death, which occurred February 7, 1882. James Johnson was educated in Rome, then moved to the old homestead, where he has since resided. Mr. Johnson is a staunch Republican, and has always taken an active interest in the success of his party. (p. 293) [Top]

JOHNSON, SAMUEL, was born near Burlington Flats, Otsego county, in October, 1811, son of Jared Johnson, a farmer of English ancestry. When twenty years of age, he came to Paris, and engaged in the tanning business, which was his occupation through life. For eight years he acted as clerk in the well known hide and leather house of Hubbell & Curran of Utica, from 1841 to 1849; then came here, where he has been a tanner for forty years. In 1889, he was burned out, and has since retired from active labor. As a politician, he was originally a Free Soil Democrat, but in 1856, united his interests with the Republican party at its organization. For four years he was supervisor of his town. He first married Sarah S. Campbell of Rome, who died in 1864, leaving two children: Mrs. J. S. Haseldon, whose husband is superintendent of the Rome Brass and Copper Co., and one son, Walter B. Johnson, superintendent of the Rome Manufacturing C. His present wife was Sarah L. Stevens, by whom he had one daughter, (deceased). (p. 43) [Top]

JOHNSON, STEPHEN ALBERT, was born in Constableville, Lewis county, N. Y., May 23, 1840. He attended the local schools, also private schools at Lockport and Fredonia, N. Y. Being in Philadelphia at the time of the outbreak of the Rebellion, he enlisted in the 3rd (afterwards 72nd) Regiment of that State among the first of the three year men; and was in the battle of Ball's Bluff and the battles of the Peninsula campaign. At the battle of Antietam he was severely wounded and soon after honorable discharged. He then went West and engaged in the nursery business at New Albany, Ind. with his brother, Senator F. C. Johnson, of that State. At the time of the Morgan raid he was chosen captain of a company in the 8th Indian Regiment and served throughout the campaign. In 1865, he returned to Lewis county and in June, 1866, he married Emeline, daughter of Schuyler C. Thompson, by whom he had three children, two sons and one daughter. The eldest son, Franklin C., a young man of bright literary attainments, died at Nice, France, in January, 1895. The younger son, William Schuyler, is now in the bank with his father. S. C. Thompson & Co.'s Bank was founded in 1867. Mr. Johnson became its cashier and has been in the banking business ever since, being now, and since the death of Mr. S. C. Thompson in 1879, the senior member of the firm. He was for many years a member of the Board of Education of the Boonville Union Free School and Academy, and is one of the wardens of the Episcopal church at that place. Mr. Johnson's ancestry on both the paternal and maternal side is of the Colonial Puritan stock. Thomas Johnson came from Yorkshire, England, and settled at New Haven, Conn., in 1638. His son, William, was one of the original proprietors of Wallingford, Conn., founded in 1670, and there the family lived for several generations, being large land owners and prominent in government and military affairs. Descendants of William Johnson still own land near Wallingford, which has been in the family since its purchase from the Indians. Jacob Johnson, son of William (1694-1749), was a member of the Colonial Assembly several terms, and was a man of large wealth. Capt. Andrew Johnson, son of Jacob (1702-1757), served during the Indian and French wars; while Capt Hezekiah Johnson, his son (1732-1810), was a soldier of the Revolution, and served from the Lexington alarm until the close of the war. Belcher Johnson (1767-1837) son of Capt. Hezekiah, removed to New York State in 1790, and settled at Salisbury, Herkimer county, where his son, Horace Johnson, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in 1799, and in 1822, married Eliza Pratt. Shortly after this he settled at Constableville, Lewis county, and engaged in the tanning business. He was commissioned captain in the militia by Governor De Witt Clinton in 1826. He died at Boonville, January 10, 1885. Mr. Johnson is descended through both of his parents from the Merriman family of Connecticut, who for several successive generations were prominent in the Colonial government, and held military commissions in the Indian and French wars; also from the Sedgwick family of Massachusetts, the first ancestor in this country being Major General Robert Sedgwick, who was a distinguished and trusted officer under Cromwell, and a charter member and captain of the "Ancient and Honorable Artillery Co., of Boston," the first military service from the Pequot war to the war of the Rebellion. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic also of the "Society of Sons of the American Revolution" and of the "Society of Colonial Wars." (p. 54) [Top]

JONES & SHIPPEY, the firm of, was organized in 1883 and consists of John S. Jones and George W. Shippey, both natives of Utica, and they are among the leading contractors and builders in the city. Among the important contracts may be noted the Skenandoa Yarn Mill, the Mohawk Valley Cotton Mill, and Quackenbush air gun factory of Herkimer, the Folts Institute, the Paragon Knitting Mill, and the Mohawk High School in Herkimer and Mohawk. Mr. Jones is a member of the Masonic order, and was born March 17, 1839. His father William was one of the oldest builders in Utica, and assisted in erecting Grace, the Universalist, Calvary, St. Luke's churches, City Hall, and many residences and prominent buildings, including the J. Watson Williams residence, and the old cotton mill. Mr. Shippey was born August 29, 1843, and is a son of Nathan Shippey, who was a builder and a contractor of locks on the Black River Canal. (p. 202) [Top]

JONES, EDWIN E., was born June 30, 1861, in Rome, N.Y., is a son of Owen Jones, who came from Carnaervonshire, Anglesea, North Wales, about 1845, settled in New York city, whence he went to Rome, and thence in 1862 came to Utica, where he died in 1886. He was educated in the Utica public schools and at the age of seventeen entered the drug store of Williamson & Dunning, with whom he remained about four years. He was then with J.H. Sheehan & Co. about two years, and in 1884 started in the drug business for himself on the corner of South and Miller streets, in a section locally known as "Cornhill," where he still continues. He is a member of Fort Schuyler Council R.A. In January, 1885, he married Almena H., daughter of John O. Jones, of Utica, and they have three children: Laura Odessa, Catherine Anna and Edna Francis. (p. 344) [Top]

JONES, EVAN W., was born in New York city, February 6, 1847, son of Evan and Margaret Jones. Evan W. was educated in Utica and Whitestown Seminary, then began clerking in New York Mills, at which he continued until he entered business for himself. He is proprietor of one of the principal stores in New York Mills, and carries a varied stock of merchandise, such as is to be found among the best class of general stores. Mr. Jones married Charlotte J. Adams of New York Mills, by whom he has one daughter, Mary E. Jones. He is a member of the F. & A. M., being a member of all the bodies from the Blue Lodge to the Shrine. (p. 116) [Top]

JONES, EVEN D., was born in Wales, April 30, 1823, son of Edward and Ann Jane Jones, whose children were: Elizabeth, Luke and Even D. Even D. settled in Marcy in 1851. He married Ellen, daughter of Robert Williams, by whom he had ten children: Edward, Robert H., Anna, William, Mary, wife of John W. Porter; Laurie. Elizabeth, wife of George Thomas; Jeanne, Catherine, wife of William A. St. John, and Martha; also two deceased: Winifred and Henry. Mr. Jones is engaged in farming, and is active in both educational and church work. He is a charter member of the Marcy Grange. He helped to build the first railroad running through Marcy, and was a passenger on the first train that ran over that road. Jeanne is a graduate of the Oswego Normal School; Catherine attended the Oswego Normal also the Colgate Academy, and taught school for twenty terms. Robert H. is engaged in farming. (p. 169-170) [Top]

JONES, DR. HERBERT GORDON, was born in Utica, July 26, 1857 and is a son of John Francis Jones, who came here from Wales, England, with his parents, Cadwallader and Ann Jones, when young, and died here in 1875, aged forty-six years. John F. was a stock raiser and provision dealer, and married Jane, daughter of Herbert Williams, of Steuben, Oneida county, who died in 1873. Of their six children the subject of this sketch was the eldest. Dr. Jones was educated in the Utica public schools and academy and spent two years in Whitestown Seminary. Later he was a pupil in John Williams's private school in Utica. He read medicine with Dr. Edwin Hutchinson in Utica and was appointed house surgeon to St. Elizabeth's Hospital, a position he held two years. The partnership continued until Dr. Hutchinson's death in 1887, since which time Dr. Jones has practiced alone, giving special attention to surgery and to the treatment of diseases of the eye and ear. After two years as house surgeon to St. Elizabeth's Hospital he was appointed (in 1882) attending surgeon to that institution, which position he held five years, when he resigned to accept the appointment of surgeon to St. Luke's Hospital, and still serves in this capacity. He has been surgeon of the West Shore Railroad since 1884 and medical director of the order of United Friends since 1890. He was elected coronor [sic] of Oneida county in 1884 and served two terms. He is a member of the Utica Medical Library Association, a member of the Oneida County Medical Society and its treasurer since 1886, a member of the Medical Society of the State of New York, a member of the National Association of Railway Surgeons, and a member of the New York State Association of Railway Surgeons. He was a delegate from the Oneida County Medical Society and the American Medical Association in 1887 and 1888. In the order of United Friends he has been since 1888 imperial trustee in the Imperial Council, and for four years previous to that was the first representative of the Grand Council of New York in the Imperial Council of the United States. He was one of the active promoters and organizers of that order in 1881 and has always taken a prominent part in its growth and welfare. Dr. Jones is also a member of the Utica Maennechor and a member of Faxton Lodge No. 697, F. & A.M., Oneida Chapter No. 57, R. A. M., Utica Commandery, No.4, K. T., and the Scottish Rite Bodies, and Central City Consistory of Syracuse, Northern Jurisdiction. He has been one of the surgeons to the Masonic Home in Utica ever since its inception and was very active in securing the location and obtaining subscriptions, being a member of the subscription committee. He has read many valuable papers on surgery and kindred subjects before the Oneida County Medical Society and the Utica Medical Library Association, and several of them have been published in the New York Medical Journal and the Philadelphia Medical Times. June 15, 1882, Dr. Jones married Katherine E., daughter of Henry D. Perry, of Utica, and they have three children: Harold S., Mildred K., and Stuart G. (p. 363-364) [Top]

JONES, HUGH, was born in Wales April 4, 1850, son of Hugh and Elizabeth Jones. Hugh jr. settled in Oneida county about 1870, and married Agnes, daugher of Edward German, by whom he has three children: Elizabeth, Jennie and Ada, all born in this county. Since coming to this county he has been engaged in farming, and has a farm of about 125 acres. He is interested in educational work and an active member of the Welch M. E. Church and is at present trustee. (p. 169) [Top]

JONES, JAMES E., M.D., was born in Otsego county, N.Y., July 17, 1832. He was educated at Whitesboro Seminary, Ann Arbor, Mich., and Albany Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1855. After practicing four years in Utica, he removed to Clayville, where he practiced for over thirty years. In 1858 he married Margaret Springer, by whom he has three children: Ida (Jones) Burt, of Utica, N.Y.; Anna M., a teacher in Utica; and Frank J. Dr. Jones's father, Elias Avery Jones, was born in Bridgewater, N.Y., in 1809, and his grandfather, Elias Jones, was one of the first settlers in Bridgewater, where he came from Stonington, Conn. Simeon Morgan, an uncle of Dr. Jones's grandfather, was killed at the battle of Groton Heights, and not a few of his ancestors were actors in the stirring events in the early history of the country. His great-grandmother Hunt during the American Revolution narrowly escaped massacre by the Indians, four miles south of Amsterdam; she heard the Indian war-whoop and fled to the woods with her only child, the doctor's grandfather, hiding until her house was burned and the Indians departed. Her husband was absent as a volunteer soldier with the Americans. (p. 143) [Top]

JONES, J. LEWIS, born in Orange, N. J., November 19, 1835, is a son of C. F. D. Jones, a shoemaker by trade, who was born in Caldwell, N. J., September 22, 1808. In October, 1838, the family came to Utica, where the father opened a shoe store and also engaged at his trade. In 1844 they moved to Middle Settlement in the town of New Hartford, where C. F. D. Jones still resides. He was active in Democratic politics for many years and served as superintendent of the poor of Oneida county two terms. He was for ten years agent for the State Board of Commissioners of Immigration with office located at Utica, and has been justice of peace, town excise commissioner, etc. February 26, 1829, he married Elizabeth Hollum, of Orange, N. J., who was born April 14, 1810 and died October 20, 1895, having lived as husband and wife nearly sixty seven years. They had six children: Adelia, who died young; Antoinette, of New Hartford; J. Lewis, of Utica; Clarissa (Mrs. Elias H. Palmer), of New Hartford; C. F. D., jr., deceased; and Martha Elizabeth (Mrs. Stephen B. Latham), of Clinton, N. Y. J. Lewis Jones was educated in the district schools of New Hartford and remained on the farm till about nineteen years of age. He learned the trade of patternmaker in Newark, N. J., and for many years followed it in various capacities. In January, 1882, he started business for himself on Blandina street and in January, 1893, moved to his present location in Jay street. He is a member of Oriental Lodge, No. 224 of F. & A. M., and Oneida Chapter, No. 57, R. A. M., and is vice-president of the Cornhill Building and Loan Association of Utica, which he assisted in organizing. May 18, 1864, he married Cornelia G. Blackstone, of New Hartford. They have two children: Frederick B., of Warren, Mass., and Clarence A., of Utica. Mr. Jones came from old New England and Revolutionary stock, his great-grandfather, Joseph Jones, sr., having been born at Stamford, Conn., June 3, 1750. (p. 198-199) [Top]

JONES, JOHN R., was born February 12, 1837, in Wales, England, and is a son of Rees J. and Gwenne Jones, who came with their family to America in 1841 and settled in Utica. The family soon removed to a farm in Marcy, Oneida county, and later to the town of New Hartford, on the old Dr. Paine farm, where Rees J. died in August, 1895, aged eighty-two. His wife died in 1842, and he married, second, Susan Morgan, who survives him. By his first marriage he had two sons and four daughters: John R., of Utica; Margaret, widow of Richard Hughes, of New Hartford; Henry, of Rome; Winnie (Mrs. William Denbigh), of Port Byron, Ill.; and Jane and Laura, both deceased. John R. Jones was educated in the public schools of Marcy and in private schools of Utica, and remained on the farm till eighteen years of age. He then went to Chicago, and about 1859 became the first conductor on the first street car ever run in that city. He continued in street railroading about five years. On May 22, 1862, he was appointed an attendant and supervisor of the Utica State Hospital, and from 1871 to 1887 he was clerk and storekeeper there. Since January, 1887, he has held the responsible position of steward. He was second and first lieutenant in the 45th Regiment N.G. for seven years, or until the regiment was mustered out, and he commanded his company as acting captain when Lincoln's remains passed through Utica. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. March 19, 1863, he married Jennie M., daughter of Evan Lewis, of Utica, and they have two sons; John L. and George H. (p. 243) [Top]

JONES, JOHN R., was born in Remsen, Oneida county, in 1855. He is the eldest of three children of Richard Jones, and is of Welsh ancestry. Richard Jones was born in Wales in 1822, and married soon after coming to America in 1854, Ellen Williams, also a Welsh descendant. They first settled in Boonville at farming, and continued that occupation until 1880, when he died, much loved and respected by all who knew him. John R. Jones follows successfully in the business of his father. In 1882 he married Clara L. Van Voorhis, by whom he has three children: Herbert J., Glenn Howard, and Beulah I. (p. 108) [Top]

JONES, J. WHITFIELD, was born in Wales, England, May 6, 1857, and received a thorough education in his native country, where he also became an expert accountant. In 1881 he came to America and settled in Utica, where he first became accountant for General Sylvester Dering, a wholesale and retail lumber dealer, with whom he remained about five years, since then he has followed his profession on his own account, being often appointed to examine the books of large corporations, the various city offices, etc. He is one of the leading accountants in Utica. (p. 195) [Top]

JONES, LEWIS, son of Morgan and Mary (Lumley) Jones, was born in Machyulleth, Montgomeryshire, Wales, October 10, 1810, settled in Utica in 1827, being among the very early Welsh residents, and died here September 2, 1874. He received a collegiate education and was engaged as bookkeeper for several years, becoming an expert. He was clerk in Whiting's crockery store until 1850, when he became proprietor of China Hall, the largest crockery establishment in the city. Business reverses in 1856 and 1857 compelled him to retire from business, and afterward he was a clerk in the New York Central freight office and for eight years bookkeeper for the Utica Herald until he was stricken with paralysis February 2, 1873. He always took an active interest in municipal affairs and served one year as city treasurer, but declined a re-election on account of his health, though he was urged by citizens of all political parties to accept it. He was an excellent Welsh scholar, a fluent writer in that language, and at one time a frequent contributor to Welsh magazines. He was an honest, upright man, a loyal and respected citizen, and a kind and sympathetic benefactor. He traveled extensively through the Eastern, Southern, and Western States, and visited Wales and other parts of Europe in 1835, 1840, 1845, and 1851. In October, 1830, he married Eleanor Hughes, who was born December 14, 1807, and died October 7, 1892. Their children were: Morgan A., John H. (deceased), Mary (deceased), Lewis A., Sarah E., Katherine E., Thomas M. (p. 243-244) [Top]

JONES, OWEN E., was born on the farm where he now resides. His father, William Jones, was a farmer by occupation. He and his wife were active in church work. He married Eleanor, daughter of John and Mary Edwards. William Jones settled in Utica, coming from Anglesay, North Wales, about 1832, and to Floyd in 1841. Mr. and Mrs. William Jones had eight children: John J., Mary S., Catherine, Ellen Roberts, William J., Hugh W. (deceased), Owen E., and Jane A., all of whom are residents of this county except John, who is in Canastota. Owen E. married Sarah J., daughter of Even T. Jones, of Pickett, Wis., by whom he has two children; Edith Ellen, and Emrys Tutur. Mr. Jones is a farmer by occupation, and is active in town affairs. He is a charter member of Camroden Patrons of Industry and has held all the offices in the I. O. G. T. Lodge; also of the Sabbath school and is now secretary and deacon of the C. M. Church. (p.  [Top]

JONES, R. K., M. D., was born at Hollyhead, Wales, September 21, 1840, son of the Rev. Richard Jones. He is the eldest of eight children, and settled in this county in 1871, where he has practiced medicine, and also been engaged in farming. He studied medicine in Dublin, and was graduated from the Ledwich School of Medicine and Combe Maternity Hospital. He was assistant surgeon of Union parish of Hollyhead. He first settled in Pennsylvania, but later came to Floyd where he has since followed the practice of medicine. He married Ellen T., daughter of Thomas J. Jones. He was formerly of the Welsh Congregational church, and is active in church and educational interests. He was elected justice of the peace one term, and is now a retired physician. (p. 255) [Top]

JONES, RICHARD J., was born in the town of Steuben, December 27, 1832, son of James R., and Ann Jones, natives of Wales. James R. came to Steuben about 1817, and one year later married Ann, daughter of Even Lewis, and they have six children: William J., Ellen Griffiths, Even J., Mary, Jesse N. and Richard J. Mr. Jones was engaged in farming and was a member and deacon of the Presbyterian church of Steuben. Richard J. married Catherine, daughter of John W. Pritchard, by whom he has six children: Manzie, James R., John P., Jesse, Katie M. and Georgiana L. Mr. Jones in early life, with his brother Jesse, was engaged as a carpenter and builder, and in 1867, they engaged in farming, at which they still continue. Richard J. is a member of Trenton Grange, and an active worker and deacon in the Congregational Church. (p. 15) [Top]

JONES, RICHARD R., was born in Sarnfollteryra, North Wales, April 25, 1850. He received his early education in Wales, where he afterward taught in the National School for two years. He came to the United States in 1870, where he attended school, fitting for a business life, in which he has been successful. He learned the boot and shoemaker's trade, which he followed a short time. He was in the Western States for a short time and since 1882, has been engaged in the mercantile business in Glenmore, in the town of Annsville, Oneida county. He married Ellen Hopper of Janesville, Wis. He is a Republican in politics, was justice of sessions for six years, also justice of the peace for nine years, and at present is notary public. He is a prominent member of the I. O. O. F., Rome Lodge No. 266, Stanwix Encampment, No. 73, and Canton Stanwix, No. 3. (p. 65) [Top]

JONES, ROBERT G., was born in Wales, May 25, 1852. He came to the United States in 1870 and settled in Oneida county, N.Y., where he has been a successful and prominent business man, being interested in the milling business, owning a grist mill and saw mill, and running a cheese box factory with a capacity of turning out 500 boxes per day. Mr. Jones is also largely interested in the manufacture of cheese, owning at this time two factories, one in Annsville and one in Steuben, Oneida county. He married Jeanette Jones of Western. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and in politics is a Democrat. (p. 15) [Top]

JONES, ROBERT H., was born in the town of Marcy, November 3, 1851, son of Evan D. and Eleanor Jones. Robert H. Jones married Della M., daughter of Harrison J. and Mary A. Sweet, whose ancestors came to Oneida county in 1797, and by whom he has one daughter, Gertrude E. In 1868 he engaged in carpenter work,which he followed for four years; he then engaged in cheesemaking for three years, since which time he has followed farming. He is interested in educational matters, also town and county affairs. (p. 108) [Top]

JONES, SEYMOUR, was born in Steuben, Oneida county, February 1, 1884, a son of Hugh W. and Sarah (Smith) Jones, both natives of Steuben. His paternal grandparents, William R. and Mary (Mendith) Jones, natives of Wales, were among the pioneers of Steuben, and cleared a farm from the wilderness, where they died. Hugh W. Jones, who was born February 14, 1809, was a cooper by tread, which he followed up to 1845, and then engaged in farming until he retired on account of age, and has spent all his life in Steuben and Western. He married Sarah, daughter of Henry Smith, a pioneer of Steuben, by whom he had ten children, seven of whom survive: Seymour; Mary (Mrs. Sanford Oaks): Henry; Catherine (Mrs. Joseph Brown): Ester (Mrs. Orris Tripp); Lydia A. (Mrs. John Maydole); and William. Seymour Jones was educated in the common schools and Whitestown and Holland Patent academies, and on attaining his majority engaged in farming until 1860, after which he engaged in merchandising in Steuben for eight years. In 1869, he located at North Western and engaged in the same business nine years, erected a tannery there in 1871, which he operated until 1890, and has also been engaged in farming since 1883. December 25, 1859, he married July A., daughter of Saul U. and Catherine (Adams) Miller, of Steuben, by whom he had two children: Gary M. and Anna K. Mr. Jones is independent in politics, and has been supervisor of Western two terms. (p. 65) [Top]

JONES, T.Z., M.D., was born in Waterville, June 23, 1860, and after an academic course, took up the study of medicine, entering the Bellevue Hospital Medical college, New York, where he was graduated in 1883. He spent thirteen months as a physician in the Insane Asylum on Blackwell's Island, when he accepted a position in Ossawatomie, Kansas; his failing health forced him to resign this position, and he came to Waterville in 1884, where he built up a large practice. In 1892 he went to London, England, and took a post graduate medical course. Dr. Jones is a member of the Oneida County Medical Society, and of both the Blue Lodge and Chapter in Masonry. His father was Zephaniah Jones, a native of Remsen, this county, and his mother was Margaret Goodwin, a native of Wales. In 1893 Dr. Jones married Clara Allen. (p. 312) [Top]

JONES, THOMAS F., was born in Wales, March 30, 1851, and came to the United States when five years of age, with his widowed mother and two sisters. They first settled in Bridgewater, Oneida county, later moving to Chuckery, town of Kirkland. When twenty-two years of age Thomas F. engaged in farming and in 1885 purchased the old Jones homestead in Chuckery, where he now lives. He married Alice Woodin, of Kirkland, by whom he had three children: Eva M., Alta L., and Francis M. Mr. Jones is a member of Amicable Lodge, Free & A. M., No. 664, and of Sauquoit Grange, of which order his family are also members. (p. 75) [Top]

JONES, WILLIAM, was born in Wales, May 13, 1837, son of William and Mary Jones. William Jones, jr., came to this country in 1857, and engaged in farming, which he has always followed. He left home when he was eleven years of age, working his way up entirely through his own efforts. He married Jean Mallon, of Irish extraction, by whom he has four chidlren: William, Robert, Mary and Margaret. (p. 289) [Top]

JONES, WILLIAM JAY, was born near South Trenton, June 20, 1832, son of Jacob and Mary Jones, who came from Wales about 1818, and were engaged in farming. Their children were Margaret, John, Hannah, David, Thomas and William Jay. Mr. Jones helped to build the Welsh M. E. church, and used to go twelve miles to church on foot. He also cut the first tree on the road where William Jay now lives Previous to building, the church meetings were regularly held at his house for many years. He was a strong anti-slavery man and among the first Abolitionist in the place; he became a Free Soiler and then a Republican. He wished to see the sin of slavery wiped out before his death, but he died April 9, 1859. His wife died December 25, 1870. At fifteen years of age, William Jay started for himself as a laborer on a farm, and is now engaged in farming. He married Mary L., daughter of David Winston, by whom he ahs three children; Jacob H., David Cephas, and W. Herbert. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Trenton, and of which he has served as trustee, secretary, steward and treasurer. He is a strong Prohibitionist. His wife, Mary L. Winston, died January 17, 1893. (p. 53) [Top]

JOSLIN, C. ELI was born in Boonville in 1847, is a descendant of a family closely identified with the early history of the town. His father, Samuel Joslin, was also born in Boonville. His mother having died when he was but three years old, he was adopted by his grandfather, on the maternal side, and to him he owes his early training, and development of those principles which have predominated throughout his life, commanding the respect and esteem of those about him. His first public office was held in 1893, when he was made commissioner of highways. In 1870 he married Elizabeth Moran, by whom he has five children: William N., Elizabeth A., Arthur J., Ellen E. and Albert J. (p. 182) [Top]

JOSLYN, WILLIAM H., was born in Brockport, Monroe county, N.Y., November 23, 1835, and was educated in the public schools of Brockport and Colgate Institute. He has had a variety of occupations, but engaged most of the time in farming. October 18, 1856, he married Louisa Brockway, of his native place, by whom he had four children, all of whom are dead. Mrs. Joslyn died October 16, 1874, and in November, 1875, he married for his second wife, Mary Duff, of Sweden, Monroe county, by whom he had five children: Margaret M., W. Henry, Theresa M., Susan M., and Charles E. April 26, 1861, he enlisted in Co. K., 13th N.Y. Vols., in which he was orderly sergeant, was captured at the first battle of Bull Run, and was confined in Libby Prison, Old Parish Prison, in New Orleans, and Saulsbury Prison, North Carolina, and was paroled December 3, 1862. October 14, 1863, he was mustered into the service as first lieutenant of Co. H. of the 21st N.Y. Cavalry. He participated in all the battles of the Shenandoah Valley, and served as provost marshal on the brigade staff through the fatal Lynchburg raid, when 1,500 horses perished in the mountains in one day from hunger. May 12, 1865, he was promoted captain for brave and meritorious service. He was honorably discharged October 5, 1865. His father, Isaac Joslyn, was born in the town of Verona, March 15, 1806, and was educated in the schools of his day. He married Maryette Peters. of Genesee county, N.Y., by whom he had five children: William H. (as above), Charles A., Susan M., Sarah M., and Elias P. Isaac Joslyn died December 28, 1878. His father, Ephraim Joslyn, was born at Leominster, Mass., in 1774, and settled in Verona in 1790, son of Captain Abijah, of the Revolutionary war. The family are of Norman ancestry. (p. 381) [Top]

JOY, WILLIAM H., was born in Canada, February 3, 1861, son of Alfred and Betsey (Spencer) Joy. William H. was educated in the town of Montague, Lewis county, and has since been engaged in farming. He married Ida, daughter of George Freiberger, of Westmoreland, by whom he had three children: Louis F., Lavant, and Paul M. (p. 309) [Top]