KASSON, CALVIN H., was born in Deerfield, N.Y., August 17, 1853, son of Henry W. and Julia E. (Green) Kasson, both natives of Deerfield, he born in 1824 and she in 1826. Henry W. Kasson engaged in farming in early life and was the first man in Deerfield to engage in shipping potatoes to New York city. He was then engaged in the general mercantile business until 1883, at which time he engaged in gardening. He has served as postmaster at Deerfield for many years. The parents of Mrs. Kasson, John and Matilda (Dayton) Green, were natives of Stoddard, N.H., and Connecticut, respectively. Her grandfather, Jonah Dayton, came from Connecticut to Deerfield, thence to Remsen, where he died. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. John Green came to Deerfield at an early day and engaged in brickmaking and farming. He died in 1869 and his wife in 1866. His father came from Germany. Calvin H. Kasson was educated at Utica Commercial College, from which he was graduated in 1871. He was engaged in the mercantile business with his father until his father retired, since which time he has carried on the business in Deerfield alone. He has been postmaster since his father resigned in 1892. October 14, 1875, Mr. Kasson married Harriet B., daughter of Reese and Jane (Jones) Lewis, natives of Wales. Mrs. Kasson died in 1895. (p. 214) [Top]

KAU, CHARLES D., was born at Leyden, in 1864, son of Michael Kau, who was born near Hamburg, Germany. Charles D. Kau came to Boonville in 1871, and was educated at Cazenovia, after which he engaged in farming. In 1889 he received an appointment as messenger for five years with G. C. Ward, the well-known surveyor and bridge builder. Mr. Kau has by personal effort and concentration of business energies, become a partner of the firm of Kau & Ward, in the grocery business, carrying an extensive stock in groceries, provisions, hay, lumber, cement and boat men's supplies. Mr. Kau has a membership of high rank in the Masonic fraternity. (p. 179) [Top]

KEELER, MILES L., was born in the town of Florence, November 4, 1837, son of Nathaniel Keeler, who was born in Saratoga county, N. Y., September 4, 1792, and removed to Madison county in 1810, and in 1835 came to the town of Florence, where he engaged in farming until 1856, when he came to the town of Camden, where he died in 1873. He married Lydia Hall of Madison county, N. Y., and they were the parents of four children: Emily, Parnel, Henry J., and Charles B. For his second wife he married Amanda, daughter of Elijah Gaylord, and they were among the first settlers of Florence. To them were born two children: Miles L., and Walter E., who are farmers in Camden. Miles G. was educated in the towns of Camden and Florence, and has followed farming, teaching school in the winter. For his first wife he married Louisa W., daughter of Daniel Peck of Camden, and they were the parents of three children: Lena J., Mable A. (deceased), and Alta J. For his second wife he married Sophia, daughter of Pliny Phelps of Camden, and to them have been born one son, Henry P. In politics Mr. Keeler is a Republican, and has held the offices of town collector and assessor for nine years. He is a member of the Camden Grange. (p. 108-109) [Top]

KEITH, CHARLES B., was born at North Brookfield, Madison county, February 5, 1858. He attended the public school of that place, also the Whitestown Seminary until he was eighteen years of age, when he was made acting station agent of the D., L. & W. R. R. at North Brookfield. A short time subsequent to this he received the appointment to a similar position, on the N.Y., O. & W. R. R. at Westmoreland, N.Y., and remained at that place until November, 1878, at which time he was promoted by the same company to the agency at Oriskany Falls, a position he still occupies. His father, Henry P. Keith, was born at Unadilla Forks, N.Y., July 21, 1829. He early removed to North Brookfield, where he was engaged in farming and milling until he was forty years of age, when he devoted several years to the manufacture of cheese. In 1889 he removed to Oriskany Falls, where he still resides. December 21, 1854, he married Mandana C. Peck, of North Brookfield, who was a native of Henderson, Jefferson county, N.Y., and was born May 3, 1833. She is also living. On the first of November, 1883, Charles B. Keith entered in copartnership with 0. B. Abbott, under the firm name of Abbott & Keith, dealers in coal, and continued until the death of Mr. Abbott, in 1894. W. C. Nye succeeded to the Abbott interest, and the firm has since been Keith & Nye. December 25, 1879, Mr. Keith was married to Hattie E. Kellogg, of Westmoreland. Mrs. Keith was educated at Westmoreland and Whitestown Seminary. They have two children: Harry C., born June 19, 1882, and Royal B., born April 20, 1885. (p. 146-147) [Top]

KEITH, MYRON, was born in Madison County, January 9, 1825, Son of John and Sarah (Mason) Keith. His grandfather, John Keith, came from Connecticut, and was a Revolutionary soldier; and his grandfather, Ezra Mason, was a native of Massachusetts. Mr. Keith engaged in farming in Oneida County for thirty-four years. In 1852 he married Sabra L. Kinney, by whom he has two children: Wayne V. Keith, who married a Miss Gruman, and Nettie Keith. Mr. Keith was justice of the peace for sixteen years, a longer period than any other man in Marshall. (p. 359) [Top]

KELLER, HUGO, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, March 26, 1845. He came to the United States in 1862, first locating in New York. His purpose in leaving his native land was to enlist in the Union army, and early in 1863 he enlisted in the 16th Cavalry, N. Y. State Vols., under Col. Armstrong in the Shenandoah valley, and served until October 1, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he was engaged as a clerk in a grocery store for one year, then learned the baker's trade, which he followed four years. In 1870 he located in Durhamville, Oneida county, N. Y., and first served as a grocery clerk, but in 1874 began business on his own account as a general storekeeper, and was also in the milling business. He married Julia Schotthamer, formerly of his native place, by whom he had six children: Frank, Herman, who has purchased the mill from his father and is conducting the same, Adelaide, Hugo, jr., Julia, and Sophia. Mr. Keller has filled the office of trustee of the village. He is a member of Oneida Lodge, No 270, F. & A. M., of Oneida, N. Y. He is also a member of John R. Stuart Post, No. 176, G. A. R. Department of N. Y. (p. 91)[Top]

KELLOGG, HENRY G., was born in the house where he still lives in 1838, which was erected by his great-grandfather in 1790. This great-grandfather, Webster Kellogg, the first of the family who settled here, came from Hartford, Conn., and first lived in a log house. This house was built in what is now a suburb of New Hartford, and where is located the fifty acre dairy farm, which has been handed down the paternal line to Henry G. He is a staunch Republican, as was his father Frederic and grandfather Webster Frederic before him; and is also an efficient member of the Presbyterian church. In 1862 he married Mary E., daughter of John Reed, of New Hartford, and their daughter Annie E., now wife of S. Maxwell McIntyre of Philadelphia, is the representative of the fifth generation of the Kellogg family here. (p. 338) [Top]

KELLOGG, HIRAM SPENCER, was born in Westmoreland, May 23, 1843, son of Uriah and Mary E.(Nichols) Kellogg. Uriah Kellogg was born in New Hartford, Oneida county, and came to Westmoreland in 1840, where he conducted a farm until his death in 1890. Mrs. Mary Kellogg, his wife, was born in New Hartford in 1815, and died in Westmoreland in 1884. Hiram Spencer Kellogg was educated at the Williams Collegiate Institute. He then went west and engaged in the express business for two years, and then returned to farming. He has always been prominent in politics, and has been successful, although a Democrat, in being elected supervisor in a town that has always given a large Republican majority. This was due to Mr. Kellogg's popularity, and the high personal esteem in which he is held by the members of both parties; this being a very notable instance in the history of the county. Mr. Kellogg is a member of the Hampton lodge No. 347, and one of the oldest Masons in the Lodge. He married Fannie A. Slocum, of Clinton, by whom he had three children: Clara L., Charles S., and Lena M. Clara L. Kellogg is married to Dr. Samuel Gifford, of Whitesboro, Oneida county. Mr. Kellogg was inspector of the middle division of the canals of the State of New York for three years, and was also on the Democratic County Committee. (p. 290) [Top]

KELLY, EDWARD, was born in Whitestown, N.Y., December 19, 1858, son of Edward and Mary Kelly, natives of Ireland, who came to the United States and settled in Whitesboro. Mr. Kelly died in 1886. Edward Kelly was educated in Whitesboro, after which he engaged in farming and the creamery business. He is engaged in the manufacture of butter, which he supplies to the trade in his immediate vicinity. He married L. Mina De Long, of Oswego county, by whom he has one son, Edward De Verne Kelly. Mr. Kelly is a member of the Oriskany Lodge No. 799, F. & A.M. (p. 325) [Top]

KELLY, MARTIN, was born in Ireland November 1, 1842, son of John and Mary Kelly. John Kelly came to the United States and settled in Westmoreland, and engaged in farming, and where he died February 12, 1865. Martin Kelly was educated in Westmoreland, and then engaged in farming, which he has since followed. He married Susie McLaughlin. (p. 294) [Top]

KELLY, PATRICK E., city treasurer of Utica, N. Y., was born in that city March 27, 1851, son of Thomas and Ann (Doody) Kelly. He was educated in the public schools, and was graduated from the Assumption Academy. He learned the printer's trade in the composing room of the Utica Observer, and was publisher of the Sunday Tribune for eighteen years. Mr. Kelly was excise commissioner of the city for four years, and was appointed city treasurer January 11, 1896. January 23, 1872, he married Ellen M. Carroll, of Utica. Mr. Kelly is a member of the Elks, Maennerchor, Utica Lodge, Knights of Honor, of which he has been treasurer for many years. He is a member of the Grand Lodge, being chairman of the committee on printing and supplies. He also a member of the Utica Division, Ancient Order of Hibernians. (p. 263-264) [Top]

KELSEY, MRS. A. P.--Ambrose P. Kelsey was born in Sauquoit, Oneida county, N.Y., August 30, 1833. He prepared for the sophomore class in college at the Sauquoit Academy. His preference for the natural sciences was very decided and in his senior year he received the first Underwood prize in chemistry. After graduating he taught the natural sciences in Wilson Academy for one year. In 1857 he was appointed principal in the Cincinnatus Academy, which position he held for two years; and was then called to the chair of natural science in the State Normrl [sic] School at Albany. Two years later he removed to Farmington, Me., where he successfully established the first normal school in that State, he being the first principal. In 1878 Professor Kelsey was called to Clinton to accept the chair of natural history in Hamilton College, which position he occupied up to the time of his death. December 24, 1862, Professor Kelsey married Ellen V., daughter of Hon. Robert Goodenow, of Farmington, Me., by whom he had three children. Professor Kelsey died, deeply mourned by a wide circle of friends. (p. 300) [Top]

KENDALL, EUGENE M., was born on the homestead where he now lives in Augusta, May 20, 1852, son of Leonard Jarvis Kendall, who is also living at the old homestead, was born at Augusta Center, July 31, 1810, and whose father came from Massachusetts in 1810, and was pastor for several years of the Congregational church at Augusta. Leonard J. married Olive J., daughter of Calvin Kendall, January 19, 1835, and she died March l8, 1839. October 1, 1840, he married Sarah R. Spencer, and she died September 20, 1855; he then, in 1856, married his present wife. Eugene M. Kendall received his education at Oneida Academy and Plattsville, Wis., where he spent one year, after which he returned home and engaged in farming and still continues. January 19, 1881, he married Jennie, daughter of John and Elizabeth Jones of Waterville, N. Y., who was born April 2, 1857, and was educated in the public schools of that place. They have two children: Mary Louise, born April 3, 1885, and Leonard Jarvis, born August 16, 1889. Mr. Kendall is an active Republican, and he and his family are members of the Presbyterian Society at Knoxboro. (p. 287) [Top]

KENNEDY, MICHAEL, was born in Ireland, December 2, 1815, son of Michael and Mary (Wallings) Kennedy. Michael Kennedy jr. settled in New York Mills, Oneida county, June 27, 1841, and was followed in 1842 by his mother, where they lived until 1851 when they moved to Marcy. He married Sarah, daughter of George Padley, by whom he has four children: Elizabeth Gates, Sarah A. Morris, Mary and Joseph. In early life he was employed as a general laborer, but since his residence in Marcy has been engaged in farming. He is a member of the Farmer's Club of Oneida county, and has a farm of 168 acres, with 3,000 rods of ditching. (p. 41) [Top]

KENNEY, MARCUS E., was born in Truxton, Cortland county, April 8, 1848, received his education at Cortland Academy and Cazenovia Seminary, and at the age of nineteen engaged in the hardware business at Truxton in partnership with his father, Hosea M., with whom he was thus associated for nineteen years. In 1886 he came to Utica and for two years traveled for Russel Wheeler and for one year for D. H Rowe & Co., of Chicago. Having taken up the studies of an optician, he purchased on December 10, 1890, the optical business of A. J. McCall, and on January 26, 1891, was graduated from the Ophthalmic College and Hospital of Chicago. On May 30, 1893, his son, Arthur M., was graduated from the same institution and has since been his business associate. Mr. Kenney is a member of Faxton Lodge, F. & A. M., Oneida Lodge, I. O. O. F., Imperial Council No. 70, Royal Arcanum, the Commercial Travelers' Mutual Accident Association of America, and a trustee of the Tabernacle Baptist church. (p. 238) [Top]

KENT, BION H., was born in the town of Remsen, in 1857. Silas Kent, his great-great-grandfather, was born in Connecticut, of Scotch parentage. John Kent, the great-grandfather, was also born in Connecticut, and came to Remsen in 1791, where he cleared a farm and kept the first public house in the town. He married Grace Root, by whom he had six children. Silas Kent, the grandfather, was born in Connecticut, February, 1787, where he engaged in farming and was fairly prosperous. He died when thirty-five years of age, leaving a wife and seven children. Chester G. Kent, father of Bion H., was born in January, 1802, on the farm now owned by his son. He was the oldest of the family of seven children, and on him depended much of the support of the family; the following eight years after his father's death the family contracted a store debt of $101.50, for which he gave his note the year he was eighteen, and paid it in six months' time, making the money by manufacturing potash. He spent his life successfully farming, and at the time of his death had acquired 430 acres of land, all of which he had cleared of the timber. He was twice married: first, to Almira Sheldon, by whom he had three children; second, to Polly Bly, daughter of William and Isabella Bly, of Norway, Herkimer county, by whom he had three children: Silas, Mary J., and Bion H. He died in January, 1887, and his wife died five days later. Bion H. Kent was educated in the common schools and was graduated from Eastman's Business College of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. After the death of his father he purchased the farm and has been largely interested in the dairy business, having sixty milch cows, and since 1892 has been breeding fine Holstein cattle. In 1891 he erected a fine cheese factory on his farm which he now conducts, and from 1890 to 1894 he conducted a stage route from Honnedaga Station, which is located on his farm, to Honnedaga Lake, for the Adirondack League Club, of which he is a member. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F., Trenton Lodge and Knights of Pythias. In politics he is an active Republican, has served his town as assessor, and is now serving his second term on the Board of Supervisors. In 1875 he married Celia A., daughter of Richard Childs, by whom he had one child, Chester D. His wife died November 7, 1879, and in April, 1892, he married Margaret Humphrey, daughter of William Humphrey, of the town of Steuben, by whom had one child, Bion H., jr. (p. 184) [Top]

KENT, JOHN S., was born in Remsen, on the farm he now owns, December 18, 1841, son of Silas Kent, who was born in Remsen, July 7, 1808, the fifth of seven children born to Silas Kent, a native of Connecticut, born in 1787, son of John, son of Silas, of Connecticut, of Scotch ancestry. Silas Kent, father of John S., from five to sixteen years of age was reared by an uncle, when he returned to the homestead, which he and his brother, Chester, conducted for eleven years. They cleared a large amount of land, cut the timber and made it into potash, and bought two other farms; he then purchased a farm of 400 acres, where he resided until 1870, when he sold the farm to his son, John S., and removed to the village of Remsen, where he now resides, the only surviving member of his father's family. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Evan Thomas, by whom he had nine children. His wife died in April, 1878. John S. Kent remained on the farm with his father until he was twenty-eight years of age, when he purchased the farm, which then contained 600 acres and paid for said farm $16,630, 180 of which he sold, but has since purchased two more farms of 133 and 100 acres, and is the most extensive farmer in the town, and also conducts a large dairy of forty cows. In politics he is a Republican, has served as assessor three terms, supervisor three terms, and has often been elected delegate to County and District Conventions, also a member of Equalizing Board Oneida county, 1895. In 1869, he married Naomi, daughter of Robert Roberts of Remsen. She died in 1884, and he married for his second wife, Mary C., daughter of John G. Hughes, of Remsen, by whom he has two children: J. Grant and Clara May. (p. 40) [Top]

KENT, JUSTUS VINTON, was born in Remsen, in 1827, son of Ezekial Kent, who came to this place in 1829, settling about tow miles south of Boonville, where he engaged in farming, yet devoting much time to public affairs. He was a man of prominence, and officiated as assessor for many years. He married Laura Dayton, of an old Connecticut family, who were early settlers in Remsen, by whom he had eleven children. His father, Capt. John Kent, who was well remembered for his zeal and patriotism, and who achieved much fame in the Revolutionary War. Ezekial Kent died in 1861. In 1848, Justus V. Kent married Louise Owen, daughter of John Owen, by whom he had eight children, six of whom are now living. He has a farm of ninety acres, in the suburbs of the village, adjoining Erwin Park. He also has charge of the Summit Hotel, which eh entered in 1890. This hotel is beautifully located, commanding a view of the Adirondacks, and of the adjacent territory. (p. 44) [Top]

KENT, M. J., was born in Limerick, Ireland, November 9, 1844, and came to America with his parents, John and Mary Kent, in June, 1846. His father being overseer of coloring in the woolen mills in Massachusetts, he resided in that State for some time. He next moved to Providence, R. I., and from there to Bridgeport, Conn., then to Skaneateles, N. Y., from which place he went to Pascoag, R. I., then to Carolina R. I., and from there to Dayville Conn. He worked successively in Auburn, N. Y., Oswego Falls, N. Y., Bennington, Vt., Franklin, N. J., Utica, N. Y., Lisbon Falls, Me., Rockville, Conn., Beacon Falls, Conn. and Skaneateles, N. Y., finally settling in Clayville, Oneida county, N. Y., in 1886. In September, 1893, he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, and has one of the largest and best stocked stores in this part of the country. In 1876 Mr. Rent married Bridget Maher, by whom he has one daughter, Jennie. Mr. Kent takes a great interest in educational matters, and has been trustee of the Clayville Union school for eight years, four years of which he has been president and three years secretary of the Board of Education. (p. 252) [Top]

KENT, PERRY E., son of Ela, and Ann E., was born in Greig, Lewis county, July 25, 1855. The family is of English extraction and descends from Enos Kent, who was among the Pilgrim settlers of Massachusetts and later one of the founders of Kent, Conn., which took his name. Enos, great-grandfather of Perry E. (brother of James Kent, LL.D., the celebrated jurist, chancellor of N.Y., and once a professor at Columbia College), was a Revolutionary soldier, while his son served in the war of 1812. Ela Kent was a captain in the old Lewis county militia and an early school teacher, and married Ann E. Wheeler, of Scotch descent. They had three children: Mrs. J. E. Lewis and Perry E. of Utica, and R. E. H. Kent, of Lee, Oneida county. Perry E. Kent attended the Boonville High School and at the age of eleven entered the then Black River Herald office, which his father had been instrumental in founding as the Boonville Ledger. In 1869 he entered the office of the Geneva Courier. Later he was assistant foreman of the Illion Citizen and still later assistant instructor at the Cornell University Press. Afterward he was foreman and finally manager of the Phelps Citizen, superintendent of the Geneva Courier, and connected with the job printing office of the Scranton, Pa., Republican. In the fall of 1879 he came to Utica to accept a position with Curtis & Childs, job printers, and in 1880 he started in business for himself in Seneca Falls. After three years of success in business he returned to Utica, and again entered business which afterwards became the firm of Kent & Fierstein; selling out his interest there in 1888 he established his present job printing office on the corner of Genesee and Bleecker streets. In January, 1893, William E. Davies was admitted to partnership under the firm name of Kent & Davies. Mr. Kent has been an Odd Fellow since 1881, is a past grand, and also a past chief patriarch of the Encampment and a member of Canton Utica, No. 3 P. M. He joined the K. of P. in 1882 and was chancellor commander two terms; he became a Mason in 1886. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum and in 1886 joined the Utica Citizens' Corps, which was subsequently mustered into the National Guard as the 44th Separate Co. After serving five years he joined the 28th Separate Co., Utica City Guards, in 1893, and is an exempt fireman. He was a charter member of the Old Fort Schuyler Rifle Association and the Utica Cycling Club, and for several years has been an active member of the Y. M. C. A. and the South Street M. E. church. As a marksman in military circles he has won valuable medals and handsome trophies. During the first year that the expert class was authorized by the State he was the only man outside of New York city to qualify as an "expert" marksman and the seventh in the State at large to receive the decoration for long distance shooting. In 1893 he won a gold medal at the World's Fair. In 1895 he won gold and silver medals at the International Scheutzenbund at Glendale, L. I. In 1878 he married Carrie E. Sheeler, and their children are Lulu Bell, Harold L., Leslie Marguerite. (p. 279) [Top]

KENYON, DR. O. S., was born in the town of Lee, September 20, 1836, son of Joseph Kenyon, who was also born in Lee. The ancestors came here from Connecticut when the town was a wilderness, and took up farming. O. S. Kenyon is one of three children from the union of Joseph Kenyon and Julia Douglas, daughter of Dr. S. Douglas, Sandy Creek, N. Y., with whom our subject began the study of medicine. He has been in practice and also ran a drug store in Taberg since 1868, twenty-eight years. He married Elizabeth J. Barton of Annsville. Under the administration of Grant and Hayes, Dr. Kenyon was postmaster in Taberg from 1878 to 1881. (p. 21) [Top]

KERNAN, NICHOLAS E., is a native of Utica and a son of the late Hon. Francis Kernan, whose parents, Gen. William and Rose (Stubbs) Kerman, were natives of Ireland and early settlers in Tyrone, Schuyler county. There Hon. Francis Kernan was born January 14, 1816. He was educated at Georgetown College in Washington, D.C., read law in Watkins, N.Y., with his brother-in-law, Edward Quinn, came to Utica in 1839 and finished his legal studies under Hon. Joshua Spencer, and was admitted to the bar in July, 1840. He became a partner of Mr. Spencer and practiced until 1857, being for three years previously reporter of the Court of Appeals. He became very active in Democratic politics, and in 1860 was elected to the Assembly. In 1862, and again in 1864, he was elected to Congress over his Republican opponent, Hon. Roscoe Conkling, and at the close of his second term resumed the practice of law. He was a delegate to the State Constitutional Convention of 1867-68, and was defeated by General Dix as candidate for governor in 1872. He was State senator from 1875 to 1881. He died September 7, 1892. In 1843 he married Hannah, daughter of Nicholas Devereux, a prominent early resident of Utica, and they had ten children. Nicholas E. Kernan was graduated from Seton Hall College in New Jersey, read law in his father's office, was admitted to the bar and became a member of the firm of W. & J.D. Kernan, now W. & N.E. Kernan. He is prominent in various business and manufacturing enterprises and is connected with several large corporations. He was one of the founders of the Mohawk Valley Cotton Mills, is vice-president of the Oneida Knitting Mills, president of the Skenandoa Cotton Company, president of the Utica Burial Case Company, treasurer of the Utica Pipe Foundry Company, member of Fort Schuyler Club, and president of the Lotus Club. He married Miss Harriet Jenkins and their children are John A., Isabelle, Margaret, Mary, Florence, Adelaide, Nicholas, Michael, Meredith, Grace and Edith. (p. 340) [Top]

KERNAN, HON. WILLIAM, was born September 4, 1831, in the town of Tyrone, Steuben county, and is a son of William and Rosa A. (Stubbs) Kernan. He was educated in the public schools of that town and at the academy in Utica, where he settled in 1850. He read law with his brother, Hon. Francis Kernan, and brother-in-law, George E. Quinn, and was admitted to the bar in Utica in January, 1857. Began the practice of his profession as a member of the firm of Kernan, Quinn & Kernan. Mr. Quinn died in August, 1863, and the firm continued as F. & W. Kernan until 1867 when it became W. & J. D. Kernan. In 1883 J. D. Kernan, having been appointed railroad commissioner, the present firm of W. & N. E. Kernan was organized. This is one of the strongest law firms in Central New York. Mr. Kernan was school commissioner of Utica five terms, and is a trustee of the Utica Water Works Company, a member and trustee of St. John's church and a member of Fort Schuyler Club. In September 1862, he married Frances E. Warnick, daughter of Leslie A. Warnick, of Utica and they have seven children: Ellen W., Leslie A., John B., Edward, James, William, jr., and Warnick. Leslie W. Kernan was admitted to the bar in 1890 and immediately afterward became a member of the firm of W. & N. E. Kernan. (p. 351) [Top]

KILBORN, DR. GEORGE L., was born in Jefferson county in 1863. His father, Dr. Henry F. Kilborn was born in Brockville, N.Y., in 1844 and practiced medicine for twenty-one years in Croghan, Lewis county. He is one of five sons and four daughters born to Lewis Kilborn, a farmer of Vermont. The Kilborn (or Kilnburn) family dates back many generations, three brothers from England, who settled in the east and burned lime, whence the name Kilnburn. Henry F. Kilborn, father of George L., now a practicing physician in Watertown, married Sarah Nichols, by whom he had these children: Anna, George, Mary, and Nellie. The daughters all married doctors. Mr. Kilborn has been a member of the order of Odd Fellows for twenty years, and in politics is a Republican. George L. Kilborn received his preliminary education in Lowville Academy and Utica Business College, after which he taught school for two years, and then took a medical course in the University of Vermont; in 1888 he was graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine in Louisville, Ky., after which he practiced with his father in Croghan one year, thence to West Leyden, Lewis county, where he remained three years. In 1892 he removed to Forestport, where he now enjoys an extensive and lucrative practice. He is a member of the S.F.I., of which he is the medical examiner. In 1889 he married Laura, daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Bush) Bush, by whom he has three children: Luverne, Blain, and Henry. (p. 16) [Top]

KILBOURN, JUDSON G., M.D., son of Francis S., was born in Plainfield, Otsego county, January 11, 1860, received his preliminary education in the public schools of his native town and at West Winfield Academy, and was graduated from Sauquoit Academy in 1879. He read medicine in West Winfield with Dr. James F. Huntley, and in March, 1884, received his degree of M.D. from the medical department of the University of New York City. In July of that year he commenced active practice in Utica, where he has become a leading physician and surgeon. Latterly he has given special attention to surgical work, in which he has acquired eminent success. Dr. Kilbourn is a member and was for five years secretary of the Utica Medical Library Association; and a member of the New York State Medical Society. He was physician and surgeon and gynecologist to St. Elizabeth's and Faxton Hospitals. He is a member of Imperial Council, R.A., and president of the Oneida County Sportsmen's Association. In 1889 he married Nella E. Armstrong, of Plainfield, N.Y. (p. 343) [Top]

KILTS, ANDREW, was born in Ava, Oneida county, N. Y., June 27, 1831, son of Jacob and Elizabeth Kilts. Andrew Kilts was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools of Ava and Lowville Academy. He has worked some at the carpenter trade, being a natural mechanic, but farming has been his principal occupation. He has a farm of 120 acres and makes a specialty of sheep husbandry. In 1881 he married Mary M. Hugunine, of Western, by whom he had four children, one living, May C., who was born June 27, 1888. Mr. Kilts is a Republican in politics, and has been commissioner of highways and assessor. He is a member of the Boonville Grange. (p. 37) [Top]

KILTS, JACOB, was born in Ava, N. Y., September 5, 1829, son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Zolver) Kilts, natives of Germany who came to America in 1828, and settled in Boonville. There were among the first settlers in Ava, and took 120 acres of land, which they cleared and engaged in farming. In Germany, Mr. Kilts was a cabinetmaker. He died in 1872, and Mrs. Kilts in 1874. Jacob Kilts, jr., worked for thirteen years at the carpenter trade, and has since been engaged in farming. In 1865, he bought a farm of 150 acres in Ava, where he has since resided. In 1861, he married Humility Daniels, by whom he has five children: William A., hotelkeeper at Redfield, N. Y.; Emma J., wife of Byron L. Edgerton, of Annsville, N. Y.; Homer J., a manufacturer at Rome, N. Y.; Carrie E., wife of Frank Lock, a mechanic at Redfield, N. Y.; and Warren R., who is living at home. Mrs. Kilts died May 25, 1885. Mr. Kilts has been justice of the peace and constable seven years. (p. 50-51) [Top]

KINCAID, FREDERICK W.--In June, 1841, George Kincaid came to Utica from New York city. He was a direct descendant of a family once prominent in Scotland military history, and was one of the pioneers to California in 1849, where he attained prominence in quartz mining. He returned in 1861 and from that time his life was spent in Utica. He was a Mason of high degree, and for many years was an officer of Utica Commandery Knights Templar, and at one time was its eminent commander. He had four sons and one daughter, all living. He died in 1893. His oldest son, J. C. P. Kincaid, who has spent his life in Utica, was born in 1840 and was for many years a merchant. In 1873 he was appointed United States collector of internal revenue, and served under Presidents Grant, Hayes, and Garfield and a short time under Arthur. He was also for six years a school commissioner of Utica and for four years president of the board. First Lieutenant Frederick W. Kincaid, of the Utica Citizen Corps, Forty-fourth Separate Co., N. G. S. N. Y., his oldest living son, was born in 1867, and has attained a high reputation as an officer in the National Guard. He, with two brothers now deceased, Alrick G. and J. C. P., jr., have with their father been active members of that famous organization. Both great-grandfathers on his mother's side were soldiers of the Revolution and one on his father's side was a veteran of 1812. (p. 240-241) [Top]

KING, A.E., was born in Clayville, January 21, 1855, son of Harmon H. and Hannah King. Mr. King has been connected with the foundry business all his life, and the enterprise which he now conducts was founded in Holman City by his father, and Mr. King has been sole proprietor for nine years. The plant consists of a machine shop and foundry, and with the outlying premises comprises three acres of ground. in 1876 he married Jenny Talcott, by whom he has two daughters: Florence and Dora. Mr. King proposes to move his foundry to Clayville in the near future. (P. 272) [Top]

KING, WILLIAM, was born in Holland, in 1850. His father, Henry King, was born about 1825, and was a barber in Holland. He came to New York about 1851, and soon after came to Forestport, where he worked many years for Dr. Platt Williams. He married Hannah Nichols, daughter of Christian and Anna Nichols, natives of Holland, who came to America and settled in Forestport. Mr. and Mrs. King had these children: William, Charles, Anna, deceased, wife of Charles Cronan, Albert, Henry and Hannah; the three latter died young. Mrs. King died in 1860. When twelve years of age, William King began as a chore boy for Dr. Williams. When twenty-two years of age, he began his apprenticeship as a blacksmith, and in 1883, started shop for himself on his present site in Forestport, where he has made a success and up to 1893 manufactured wagons and sleighs. He is a member of William Farley of Boonville, by whom he had these children: Anson, Lee, Grace Mabel, and Clarence. (p. 19) [Top]

KINNE, ERI, was born in Vienna, October 15, 1834, son of Hiram and Eliz Kinne, who settled in the town of Vienna in about 1800, and their four children were born on the place where Eri now resides. Hiram Kinne died August 29, 1844, and Mrs. Eliza Kinne died March 3, 1870. Earl Kinne married Lydia L., daughter of George and Rebecca Remington. When nineteen years of age, Eri learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed until 1857, when he entered the general merchandise business at Vienna, which he followed ten years. In 1872-3, he had an appointment in the canal superintendent's office at Rome, and in 1875, he was bookkeeper in the commission business for H. Morse & Co., No. 16 Central wharf, Buffalo, and in 1880-1-2, he engaged in the general merchandise business at Vienna with J. H. Meays. He followed farming from 1882 to 1887, when he entered the employ of the E. C.& N. Railroad and National Express Company as agent at Vienna. In 1868, he was elected supervisor, which office he held four years, and from 1875, until 1892, he was justice of the peace, has also been railroad commissioner for two terms, and notary public from 1891 to date. (p. 64) [Top]

KINNEY, HON. THOMAS E., son of Edmond and Elizabeth Kinney, who settled in Utica in about 1840, was born August 3, 1841, and received his preliminary education in the public schools and Assumption Academy of that city. He was graduated in both academic and law courses from the University of Virginia in 1863, and read law in Utica with Edmunds & Miller, being admitted to the bar at Syracuse general term in 1866. After two and one-half years as managing clerk in the office of U. S. Senator Francis Kernan he was elected in 1867 city attorney of Utica, and by reelection served three consecutive terms, being the second man in the history of Utica to fill that office for three successive. years. The first was John G. Floyd in 1829 to 1831. During that period Mr. Kinney, without assistance of any kind, did the entire legal business of the corporation. Later he was the Democratic nominee for special county judge of Oneida county, but was defeated along with the rest of the ticket. He was afterward the candidate for county judge against Judge Sutton, who was elected by 800 votes. He was three times nominated for State senator against Hon. Henry J. Coggeshall and each time defeated by reduced majorities, receiving more votes than any candidate who ever opposed that Republican stalwart. In 1885, 1886 and 1887 he was triumphantly elected mayor of the city of Utica, first on the independent ticket by a large majority, second on the regular Democratic ticket by a greatly increased majority, and for the third time without Opposition, both parties throwing him their votes in recognition of his ability and honest efforts. His administrations were endorsed by all the citizens, and he enjoys the honor of being the only man to hold the mayoralty for three consecutive terms. While mayor he introduced electricity for lighting, was the first to inaugurate asphalt paving, and led the movement which resulted in adopting improved methods and modern ideas in the municipal government, marking a new era in the prosperity of the city. He stood for right and justice, attended and presided (as was then the custom) over every council meeting, and did more than any other man to purify the city of gambling and other illegal institutions and of dishonesty in politics. His vetoes, always rendered in the interests of the public welfare, were models of rhetoric and executive skill, and were quoted by the press throughout the country. He has long been active in politics, and in the Cleveland movement was one of the organizers against the Hill snap convention, organizing himself the counties of Oneida, Herkimer and Lewis. He was made State committeeman and also went as delegate to the National Democratic Convention at Chicago in 1892. He has continuously practiced his profession with success, and has also been active in developing important real estate interests, owning several handsome blocks and building for himself on Rutger place one of the finest dwellings in the city. With the Baker Brothers he also developed the valuable quarries at Higginsville, Oneida county, and alone he built the first building occupied by the Saturday Globe, thus being instrumental in aiding that paper at a critical period of its career. He is a charter member of Fort Schuyler Club and vice-president of the Homoeopathic Hospital of Utica. In August, 1877, he married Fannie, daughter of the late D. V. W. Golden, for many years a leading dry goods merchant of Utica, and their children are David G., Edward D., Rose and Thomas E., jr. (p. 191-192) [Top]

KIRKLAND, GEORGE A., was born in Utica, November 24, 1858, son of Charles and Elizabeth Kirkland. Charles Kirkland was born in England, and came to this country and engaged in the wagon manufacturing business. He entered the general mercantile business in Utica, and then removed to Whitesboro, where he started the mercantile business in the fall of 1868, being the business now owned and conducted by his son, George A. Mr. Kirkland died in March, 1893. George A. was educated at Whitestown Seminary, and started in the mercantile business as clerk for his father, and assisted his father until 1889, when he became sole proprietor of the business, and it is the oldest and largest mercantile business in the village of Whitesboro. Mr. Kirkland married Gertrude Peck, of New York Mills, by whom he has one son, Charles Kirkland. (p. 308) [Top]

KLAMMER, CHARLES N., was born in Syracuse, N.Y., December 6, 1840. He was educated in the public schools, and all his early days were sent as a barber, but since he came to Durhamville has been farming his own land. August 29, 1862, he enlisted in Co. B, 149th N.Y. Vols., serving in the Army of the Potomac and participating in all the engagements with his regiment, with the exception of Gettysburg, being at that time a prisoner of war; he was captured in the battle of Chancellorsvile, and was confined in Libby and Belle Isle prisons. He was honorably discharged June 12, 1865, and returned to Syracuse. October 8, 1867, he married Mrs. Frances (Archambeault) Morse, of Oneida, formerly of Utica, by whom he had two children, Harriet J. and Frances E. Mr. Klammer's father, Christian, was born in Alsace, France (now Germany), in 1812. He married Mary Rakel, of his native place, by whom he had five children: Christine, Jane, Charles N., Elizabeth and Joseph. They came to the United States in 1840 and located in Syracuse, where he died in 1879, and his wife in 1846. Mr. Klammer is a member of John R. Stuart Post, No. 176, G.A.R., Department of New York. The ancestry of the family is French and German. (p. 327) [Top]

KNIGHT, CHARLES B., was born in Scranton, Pa., October 24, 1864, and was graduated from the Keystone Seminary at Factoryville, Pa., in 1880, and from Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie in 1881. Following this he had charge of the books of Jermyn & Co., of Scranton, for two years, and in 1883 engaged in the wholesale produce business there. In 1884 his brother, M.S. Knight, became a partner and the firm of M.S. & C.B. Knight continued about two years, when the business was enlarged and another brother, E.W., admitted under the style of Knight Brothers. This firm dissolved in 1889, Charles B. becoming the successor and continuing until 1891, when the business was burned out. He then, through the influence of friends, came to Utica, where Albert C. Parker, his father-in-law and former business partner, settled at the same time, and in March, 1892, the two formed the present firm of Knight & Parker, wholesale dealers in soft coal and retail dealers in hard coal. Mr. Knight is a Mason, a member of the I.O. of F., and K.P., and captain of the uniform rank of the latter, a member of the Masonic Club, secretary and trustee of the Cycling Club, and a trustee of the Universalist Church of the Reconciliation. (p. 344) [Top]

KNITTEL, JOSEPH, was born in Alsace, France, in June, 1833. He was educated there and came to the United States in 1861, locating in the town of Verona. He enlisted twice, first in the Oneida Cavalry, N.Y.S. Vols., and was honorably discharged in 1863, when he re-enlisted in the same company and regiment and served until the close of the war. In 1866 he married Mary Goodsell, of Westmoreland, by whom he had ten children: Minnie, Annie, Josephine, William, Caroline (who died in infancy), Caroline, Louisa, Frank (who died in infancy), Frank, and Catharine. Minnie is also dead. Mr. Knittel is a member of Joseph H. Warren Post. No. 615, G.A.R., Department of New York. The family is of French origin. (p. 330) [Top]

KNOX, J. THEODORE, was born in Knoxboro, N.Y., December 13, 1845, and came from the family that founded the village bearing the name. They were among the prominent citizens in the town of Augusta, and instances became conspicuous among the clergy and financiers, in a larger field. His grandfather , John J. Knox, came from Montgomery county in 1811 and settled at the place which later became Knoxboro. James C. Knox, father of J. Theodore, was born at Knoxboro November 29, 1818, and spent his life there, engaged in active and successful mercantile and manufacturing business; he died July 16, 1894. October 2, 1844, he married Mary E. Whiteley, who was a native of Utica, born December 2, 1818, who is still living on the old homestead in Knoxboro. J. Theodore received his education at Dwight's Rural High School in Clinton and at the age of sixteen entered his father's store as clerk and bookkeeper, and in 1865, although only twenty years of age, entered into partnership with his father, which continued until 1881; at that time selling to his father the interest he held in the store, having in the meantime engaged in the general insurance business, which he still continues besides conducting the affairs of his farms. Mr. Knox has held the office of town clerk for two terms, and in 1881 received the nomination for the Assembly. February 20, 1873, he married Lucy Anna Barbour, of Pittstown, Rensselaer county, who was born August 7, 1848, and received her education at North Granville and Temple Grove Seminary; her father, Rev. P. Barbour, was then pastor of the Presbyterian church of Augusta. They have three children: Mary Barbour, born March 10, 1883; Ruth Agnes, born November 6, 1886; and William Curtis, born May 3, 1889. (p. 133) [Top]

KREBS, ALBERT Krebs, Albert, was born in Annsville, October 12, 1858, a son of Samuel and Rosanna (Yutzler) Krebs, both natives of Switzerland. His father, who was a cabinetmaker and cheesemaker by trade, came to America in the early fifties, and for a short time lived in Lee, and then removed to Annsville, where he engaged in farming for eight years. He then conducted a Swiss cheese factory at Blossvale about three years, and later operated a cheese factory at Lee State Road for two years, and since 1869 has been a resident of Lee, on the farm he now occupies, engaged in farming and the manufacture of Swiss and Limburger cheese. During the late Civil war he was a member of Co. F, 146th N. Y. Vols., and after serving nearly a year was honorably discharged on account of disability. Mr. and Mrs. Krebs were the parents of seven children, five of whom survive: Samuel, jr., John F., Albert, Edward F., and Susan K. (Mrs. Jacob Abbuhl). Albert was reared in his native country and educated in the common schools and Utica Business College, from which he graduated in the spring of 1882. The following year he conducted a Swiss cheese factory at Lee State Road, and has since been engaged in the business at home, being associated with his father and brother. He married, October 16, 1893, Hattie M., daughter of Cornelius J. Western of Boonville, He is a member of F. & A.M., Royal Arcanum, S. F. I., and P. of H. In 1888 he was appointed justice of the peace to fill a vacancy, and elected the following spring for a full term, and resigned in 1889 to accept an appointment of supervisor to fill an unexpired term, and was subsequently elected to the same office four successive terms, one year being placed at the head of the Republican and Democrat tickets. Mr. Krebs is a Democrat. (p. 100-101) [Top]

KUNKEL, GEORGE M., JR., was born at Whitesboro, August 2, 1862, son of George and Mary Kunkel, who settled in this county about 1855. George, sr., is engaged in farming, and is interested in all affairs of his town and county. George M. Kunkle (sic), jr., is one of ten children: Emma, Leonard, Anthony, George M., Peter, Mathew, Joseph, Mary, Francis, Kittie. He maried (sic) Louise, daughter of Michael and Mary Van Hatten. He is a member of St. Peter's church in Deerfield, and is also interested in all public enterprises. (p. 169) [Top]

KUOLT, JOSEPH, was born August 5, 1845, in Wurtemberg, Germany, was educated and learned the trades of painter, decorator, and stucco worker in his native city and followed them until 1866, when he was drafted as solder [sic] and served in Austria-Prussian war. In 1867 he came to America and settled in Utica, where he followed painting until 1869. He then engaged in that business himself and at times employed from twelve to fifteen hands. In April, 1873, he purchased a grocery store of the late George Haenl, at the junction of Varick street and Sunset avenue, and continued this business for twenty years. In 1866 he purchased the woolen cloth department of the widow of Mr. Haenl, and since 1893 has been a dealer in woolen cloth and tailors' trimmings exclusively. In 1892 he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, William Rein, under the firm name of the Utica Paper Novelty Co., and since then has also carried on a large business in Deerfield manufacturing paper novelties, boxes, etc. Mr. Kuolt is president and one of the originators of the West Utica Improvement Association, a trustee and one of the founders of the Homestead Aid Association of Utica; a member of the German Lutheran Church since 1867 and one of its trustees since 1873, and was president of the Common Council about twelve years. April 17, 1873, he married Sophie C., daughter of John Rein, of Wurtemburg, Germany. They have three children: Eugene J., Oscar W., and Sophie A. (p. 348) [Top]