LANE, A.V., was born in Vienna, N.Y., September 23, 1862, son of William and Salome (Dunton) Lane. His father was a lumber merchant, and Mr. Lane was early associated with that business. At the age of seventeen he was a can maker at Camden, and after working at several different places, including Chicago and St. Louis in the west, and Rome in this county, he came to Sauquoit in 1892, and superintended the building of the canning factory and warehouse at Sauquoit, and has been superintendent of the business since. In 1887 he married Emma Mohat, by whom he has two children: Fordyce G. and Catherine. The canning factory turns out 30,000 cases a year, each case containing two dozen packages, and 200 people are employed in the busy season. (p. 229)  [Top]

LANGLEY, HENRY A., was born at Rome, Oneida county, N. Y., April 30, 1860. His father, Henry Langley, was born in Northamptonshire, Eng., December 25, 1834, and in 1855 came to this country and settled at Rome, N.Y. where he engaged in farming. In 1885 he removed to Oriskany Falls. He married Adaline Champney, who was born in Rome in 1828, and died in April, 1876. Henry A. Langley was educated at the Rome public schools and Whitestown Seminary. In 1881 he engaged for a time in cheesemaking: and in 1884 went to Oriskany Falls, and, with no experience and less than five dollars in cash, embarked in the mercantile line, having a general store; after two years of success in this line, Mr. A. T. Davis, of West Eaton. N. Y., bought a half interest and entered into partnership under the firm name of Langley & Davis, In 1889 they purchased the old Hicks woolen mill and commenced the manufacture of cassimeres and flannels; this mill burned January 27, 1894. In 1892 Mr. Davis retired from the firm and was succeeded by Nathaniel Tompkins, of Whitestown, N.Y., which partnership lasted one year, when Mr. Tompkins also retired. After the mill was rebuilt the manufacture of cassimeres was discontinued and Mr. Langley has since carried on successfully the making of woolen yarns, sweaters, hosiery and novelties. All through the depression in business Mr. Langley, by careful management, kept the business moving, until to-day he has one of the most successful trades in the State. June 16, 1886, Mr. Langley married Hattie L. Cross, daughter of John C. Cross, who died August 9, 1894.(p. 117) [Top]

LATUS, GEORGE F., was born in the town of Bridgewater, N. Y., August 11, 1852, son of George and Sarah (Stokes) Latus, natives of England. His grandfather, Henry Latus, came to Bridgewater about seventy years ago. After receiving a liberal public school education, he engaged in farming for about seven years. At the age of twenty-two he went west and engaged in the mercantile business; and May 1, 1894, he engaged in business in Clayville, Oneida county, and conducts one of the best general stores in the town of Paris. He conducted a store in Chicago for twenty years previous to settling in Clayville, and is a thoroughly experienced and successful business man. He married Mary Ann McDevitt, of Belvedere, Ill. by whom he has eight children, four sons and four daughters. (p. 273) [Top]

LATUS, W.W., was born in the town of Bridgewater, N.Y., September 12, 1857, son of George and Sarah (Stokes) Latus. George Latus is a native of England, and came to America in 1832, settling in New Jersey. From there he moved to Frankfort, N. Y., and then to Utica, and from there he went to Bridgewater. where he reared his family. Mrs. Latus, his wife, was also a native of England, and first settled in New Jersey. She then moved to Albany, then to Canada, and then came to Bridgewater. The progenitor of the Latus family in America, was Henry Latus, grandfather of W.W. Latus. W.W. Latus spent the first twenty-one years of his business life on a farm, and then engaged in the milling business. He learned his trade in the mill he now owns, between Clayville and Richfield Junction, and which is an important factor in the manufactory life of the Sauquoit valley; and he he has conducted the business, as proprietor, for the past nine years with marked success; being not only an able and enterprising business man, but also very popular with his patrons and public at large. In 1878 Mr. Latus married Elizabeth Walsh, of Bridgewater, by whom he has eight children: William, George, Ida, Elizabeth. Catherine, Mary, Genevieve, and Margaret. (p. 117) [Top]

LAW, GEORGE C., was born in Westmoreland, N.Y., October 10, 1828, son of George W. and Harriet (Blakslee) Law. George W. was born January 27, 1800. He was engaged in farming in Westmoreland, and died in March, 1881. His wife, Harriet B., died in 1876. George C. was educated partly in Westmoreland, at the academy at Hamilton, and at Walworth, Wayne county, N. Y. He first taught school in the town of Deerfield in 1847, then in Spencer Settlement, and also taught in Westmoreland, what is now called Bartlett, and he was town superintendent of schools in Westmoreland, from 1850 to 1853. He also taught one term in Lisbon, Ill. He was also engaged in farming at Westmoreland unti1 1857, when he went West and continued farming until 1861, when he engaged in the hardware business in Wisconsin. He returned to Whitesboro in 1864 and engaged in the coal business. In 1866 he bought out the lumber business of John Waite, and associated himself with Robert Gibson and C.F. Rayner, and afterwards with George and W.B. Williams, and continued with them until 1873. His health failing at that time, he was obliged to discontinue business, and sold out to Messrs. Williams. Since then he has been engaged in office work, having an agency for real estate and insurance business, and he also represents the largest coal business in Whitesboro. He married Betsey Antonette, daughter of Rev. Amasa S. Curtis, then of Westmoreland, by whom he has three children: Ellen J., Eugene H., and Harriet R. Mr. Law is deacon of the Baptist church at Whitesboro. (p. 116-117) [Top]

LAW, WILLIAM C., was born in Westmoreland, June 3, 1871, son of William and Sarah (Knapp) Law, also natives of Westmoreland. Consider Law, grandfather of William C Law, was born in Paris, and married Joanah Comstock. William Law, father of William C. Law, was born February 3, 1829. He was a farmer, being one of the most prominent and best known in the township of Westmoreland. He was a staunch Republican, and an active and efficient supporter of his party. Mr. and Mrs. Law had five children: Charles K., who is a practicing physician in Jersey City, N. J.; and William C., who is engaged in teaching school, and also conducts the family homestead. (p. 293) [Top]

LAWES, RICHARD, was born in London, Eng., December 9, 1857, son of Richard and Mary Ann (Bennett) Lawes. Richard Lawes, jr., was educated at the Clinton Liberal Institute and the Grammar School, and has since been engaged in farming. He married Josie Lind, of Utica, by whom he had two children: Richard Gordon and Mary Elizabeth. Mr. Lawes is a prominent Republican, standing among the leaders of his party in the township of Westmoreland, and contributing the most efficient services in the aid and support of his party. (p. 294) [Top]

LAWRENCE, A.W. was born at Lee, Oneida county, in 1829, son of Edward T. Lawrence, a millwright and his mother is a daughter of the late Abner Wood, a well known pioneer settler of Ava. In October, 1853, A.W. Lawrence went to Bedford, Va., on a visiting and hunting trip on the Blue Ridge Mountains. From October 2, 1854, to May, 1855, he was proprietor of a hotel in Lee, whence he went on a farm in Leyden, Lewis county, for a year; he then followed carriage painting for a year. In May, 1858, he went to Chicago, where he was employed at railroading; returning in 1859, he became proprietor of the Moose River Hotel, where he remained eighteen years, and then removed to Boonville where he has led an active life as a mechanic. He is a member of the Republican party and has served as deputy sheriff three years, the sole policeman of the village of Boonville for fourteen years, and town constable for twelve years. In 1854 he married Susan M. Meeker, who bore him two children: Alice (deceased) and Estella R. He was married in 1869 to his present wife, Jessie M. Hazard, who is a descendant of an old pioneer family of New Hampshire, by whom he has three children: Edward T., J. Minnie, and Loua M. (p. 41) [Top]

LAWRENCE, LEWIS H., is the only son of Lewis Lawrence, who was born in the town of Otsego, Otsego county, N.Y., December 21, 1806, and died on Fourth Lake, Fulton Chain, N. Y., September 8, 1888. Forty-eight of the nearly eighty years of Lewis Lawrence's life were spent in Utica, where he was a distinguished citizen. He was of New England descent and the only son of Daniel and Penelope Lawrence, whose four daughters died while Lewis was yet a lad. He spent his early years on the parental farm. At the age of fifteen he went to Franklin, Delaware county, where he spent seven years learning and following the carpenter's trade. In April, 1828, he came to Utica without an acquaintance and with only $3 in money. He immediately engaged in business for himself, and within a very short period was an acknowledged leader among the builders of the city. About 1834 he began the manufacture and sale of lumber, and from that time till 1865 his mills and business were extensive. In 1865 he organized the Utica, Chenango & Susquehanna Valley Railroad Company, became its president and treasurer, gave his attention to the construction of the line, and in 1870 leased it to the D., L. & W. R. R. Co. He then retired to private life and sought rest and recreation in travel, spending thus about three years in this country and Europe. Returning to Utica in 1874 he gave his time to various enterprises of business and benevolence. He was a staunch Republican, and unwavering Abolitionist, a strictly temperance man, and a neighbor, a life-long friend, and a firm supporter of Hon. Roscoe Conkling, in whose interest he founded in 1877 the Utica Daily Republican. He was a member of Westminster church and its strong friend, and throughout life a man of large benevolence. January 18, 1828, he married Miss Anna G., daughter of Samuel and Ruth E. Skinner, of Colchester, Conn., who died November 30, 1868. They had two children: Lewis H., who survives, and Charlotte A., who married ex-Mayor Charles E. Barnard, of Utica, and died April 15, 1886, leaving two children: Charles E. and Miss A. G. L. (p. 162) [Top]

LEE, ARTHUR DELOS, was born in Westmoreland, January 25, 1845, son of Isaac B. and Harriet (Lay) Lee. Isaac Lee was also born in Westmoreland, his father being one of the early settlers of the county. Mrs. Lee was born at Rome and came to Westmoreland with her folks, who were early hotel keepers of the county. Arthur D. Lee was educated partly at Westmoreland and partly at Whitestown Seminary, and then learned the carpenter's and joiner's trade at Rome, where he worked three years. He then came to Westmoreland and has since conducted a building business, having built a number of houses throughout his immediate section. Mr. Lee has always been a staunch Republican and contributed his best efforts to the support of his party. Mr. Lee is highly esteemed, has been county committeeman, and at last election was elected supervisor, which office he now holds. Mr. Lee married Nettle Isbell, of Westmoreland, by whom he has one son, Warren I., now being educated at Hamilton College, with the object of entering the legal profession. Samuel A. Isbell, father of Mrs. Lee, was born in the town of Whitestown in 1815. He was one of the most prominent and respected residents of his locality. He took a prominent part in the business world, being for over forty years an extensive contractor and builder of churches, factories and other buildings, and later in life a prosperous farmer and real estate owner. He with his wife, Jane Richardson Isbell, was a devoted Christian and gave liberally to the Bartlett Baptist church, to which they belonged. Mrs. Isbell died in 1885, and Mr. Isbell in 1893. (p. 139-140) [Top]

LEE, ROBERT, was born in Westmoreland, March 14, 1845, son of Thomas and Lola (Candee) Lee. Thomas Lee was born in 1806, and Lola, his wife, was born in 1809. Thomas Lee was a merchant in Berkshire county, Mass., and settled in Westmoreland in 1838 and engaged in farming, which he continued till his death in 1892. Robert Lee was educated in the district school at Westmoreland, and the liberal institute at Clinton. He married Irsie Barber, daughter of Franklin Barber, of Oneida county, by whom he has had four children: Merritt E., Frank D., who died when sixteen months old, Fred J. and Lola P. Mr. Lee is a member of the Congregational church at Westmoreland, and is a prominent Republican, highly esteemed, and has contributed efficient efforts in support of his party. He has been collector of the town, and commissioner of highways. (p. 265-266) [Top]

LEETE, PELATIAH W., was born in Guilford, New Haven county, Conn., May 4, 1815, and came to Verona, N. Y., with his parents when three years of age. He was educated in the public schools, and in early life was a boat builder. He is a natural mathematician, and his main business is that of a civil engineer and surveyor. He has served the town of Vienna as justice of the peace and school commissioner. He has been married twice, first in 1848, to Elizabeth Fuller, and they had one son, Pelatiah W., jr., who is a resident of Sioux City, Iowa. Mrs. Leete died in 1855 and he married for his second wife, Jennie E. Gardner, of the town of Amboy, Oswego county, in 1870, by whom he had one son, Arthur L. Mrs. Leete is station agent, telegraph operator, and express agent at West Vienna, for the past seven years, on the Ontario and Western Railway. This old family is of New England stock, and dates back to England to 1639. William Leete was the first of the family in this country; he became governor of New Haven colony, and when Hartford and New Haven united, was governor of the State of Connecticut which position he held when he died. Mr. Leete is the fifth of the name of Pelatiah, his son the sixth, and his grandson the seventh. (p. 261) [Top]

LEHR, CHARLES M., was born in Ava, Oneida county, N. Y., November 3, 1854, son of George and Catherine (Yourdon) Lehr, he a native of Germany and she of Ava, N. Y. The grandparents came to America when George was three years of age and settled in Ava, where they lived and died. He was a soldier in the French was. George Lehr was reared on a farm. He was a Republican in politics, and was justice of peace for twenty years, highway commissioner, assessor, etc. He died in 1878, and his wife in 1871. Charles M. Lehr settled on the farm of 100 acres he now owns in 1881, where he keeps about twenty cows. In 1882, he married Annie, daughter of Owen and Esther Humphrey, of Ava, by whom he had four children: Susan, Myron, Esther, and George. Mr. Lehr is a Republican in politics, and has been collector, highway commissioner, etc. (p. 50) [Top]

LEONARD, FRANKLIN, was born in the town of Smyrna, Chenango county, N. Y., February 8, 1837, son of Rufus and Navagal (Green) Leonard. He wss [sic] employed in the Springfield armory during the war, and made 60,000 gun barrels for the United States government while there. He was one of ten men selected for special work in the armory, when the English experts struck. After leaving Springfield he was foreman of the Steams Manufacturing Works in Erie, Pa., for two years; and was then with the Otis Forge & Iron Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, for over two years. He next had charge of the smithing department of the city forge and iron works for nine years, then came to Schenectady, N. Y., and had charge of the frame work in the locomotive works for over nine years; when he took the position of foreman of the forge and blacksmith department of the Rogers Locomotive Works. Leaving there he came to Bridgewater and purchased a farm where he settled down, and he has now one of the finest farms in this part of the State. Mr. Leonard is an inventor of note, and has taken out eleven different patents. He invented the first time lock for safes ever used, an improved corn harvester, also a link machine, and many other notable devices. Mr. Leonard married Fannie Bates, by whom he has two sons: Cassius, who married Grace Joslyn, and they have one daughter, Jessie; and Rufus, who married Alice Randall, and they have one son, Louis. (p. 277) [Top]

LEWIS, ELIAS, was born in Steuben, N. Y., in November, 1852, son of William Lewis who was born in Utica, N. Y., in 1812, and grandson of William Lewis, a native of Wales who came to the United States in 1800, and died in New Orleans in 1820, at thirty-two years of age. William, jr., was reared by relatives. When a young man he taught school, later engaged in farming, and has resided in Steuben since he was eight years of age. He was active in gathering recruits during the war and was commissioned by Governor Seymour to secure colored recruits in Virginia in 1861. He was an assemblyman, and introduced and worked for the bill which resulted in an appropriation of $500.00 made by the government for a monument to perpetuate the memory of Baron Steuben. He was for forty-four years justice of the peace, and for thirteen years supervisor, also filled many other offices and was well liked and prosperous. He was married three times, his first wife being Catherine, daughter of William R. and Mary Jones, by whom he had two children, one of whom died in childhood; the other, Mary, died in Williamsburg, Iowa, in October, 1894. October 31, 1840, Mr. Lewis married for his second wife, Jeanette, daughter of Elias and Berry Williams, who immigrated in 1830 and located in Steuben. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis had nine children, five of whom grew to maturity: Washington, Martha, wife of R. H. Hews, M. D., of Rockwell City, Iowa, Laura F,., wife of T. W. Evans Price, of Rockford, Ill., who died April 22, 1891, aged forty-six years, and Elias, as above. For his third wife Mr. Lewis married Mrs. Margaret Davis, of Remsen, N. Y., who still survives. Mr. Lewis retired to Remsen, where he died in 1892. Elias Lewis was educated in the district school and Whitestown Seminary, and remained with his father until the latter retired, and since then he has conducted the farm. In 1891 he purchased the farm where he now resides, and also is the owner of another farm of 290 acres. Mr. Lewis has filled the offices of town clerk and supervisor. In 1877 he married Margaret, daughter of William P. Thomas, of Steuben, by whom he has seven children; Price, Clara, William, Jeanette and Sarah (twins), and Ethel, and the oldest, a daughter, died when sixteen months old. (p. 85-86) [Top]

LEWIS, JOHN, was born in Wales, in 1831. He came to this country with his parents when three years of age and settled in the southern part of Boonville, where his father, David J. Lewis, engaged in farming. John Lewis also engaged in farming, and came to his present farm of 300 acres in 1855, and has, by his shrewdness and thrift, achieved a financial success. In 1855 he married Adeline, daughter of Jesse Ballon, by whom he had six children; Addie H., Ella M., Will J., Edward C., Hurlburt Ballon, and Mabel A. (p. 180) [Top]

LEWIS, JOHN M. was born in Utica, March 24, 1824. He was the eldest son of David and Fanny Lewis. He received his education in the schools of that city. In early manhood he learned the drug business, and in 1847 located in Boonville, establishing the first drug store in the village, remaining in the business till his death, which occurred May 28, 1881. Within the year of his coming here to reside, he secured the appointment of postmaster succeeding Major Graves. Mr. Lewis continued in the office of postmaster during the changing administrations over twenty-five years, sustained alike by political friends and opponents, a result unparalleled in the county save in one instance. He was an ardent politician. Originally a Whig, he was one of the first to profess allegiance to the newly organized Republican party, and never wavered from its principles. At the organization of Trinity Episcopal church, he was elected warden, an office in which he continued during his life. He was devotedly attached to his church, and contributed liberally to its support, pecuniarily, and still more effectively by his untiring efforts to sustain its influence and teachings. He was prominently connected with all that furthered the best interests of the village. In his intercourse with society Mr. Lewis was quiet and reticent, but there is not often found a heart so filled with the very spirit of love and kindness, of loyalty and devotion to friends, as many beneficiaries can attest. In October, 1850, he married Lovina C., daughter of Thomas Jackson, one of the pioneer settlers of Boonville, who came here in 1805. (p. 16) [Top]

LEWIS, MARION P., is a native of Sennett, Cayuga county, N. Y., where he was born February 1, 1851, and his father, Edward J. Lewis, was born in the town of New Hartford, N. Y., in 1820; and his father, Russell Lewis, came to New Hartford from Connecticut in the latter part of the last century. Edward J. lived in that town till 1840, when he removed to Cayuga county, after which they moved to the town of Vernon in 1859, where they have since resided. Mr. Lewis married Jane Stevenson, who was born in the town of Sennett in 1825, and died in Vernon in June, 1892. Marion P. attended the school in Vernon, subsequently spending some time at the State Normal School at Albany, N. Y., after which he engaged in farming, and still continues. He married Alice D., daughter of Alfred and Mary Mason, who was born in Vernon, in November, 1849, and by whom Mr. Lewis has two children: De Verny, born June 8, 1878; and Winifred, born May 8, 1881. Mr. Lewis was engaged in the meat business in Waterville for about four years, and retired from that to engage in farming. (p. 275) [Top]

LEWIS, WILLIAM D., was born in Utica, N. Y., in 1855 son of Dennis Lewis, a farmer, now of Frankfort, Herkimer county. He graduated from the Whitestown Seminary in 1875, and began teaching in 1872, while yet a student there. In 1878 he came to Washington Mills, where he taught, later canvassing for the Johnson Encyclopedia, also for a life insurance company. In 1884 he engaged in the mercantile business here, and was very successful. He was elected school commissioner for the First district of Oneida county in 1887, filling that office for three years, and proving a most efficient and popular official. In 1891 he sold out the grocery store, and held the position as bookkeeper one year for the Lewis & Babcock Tool Co. He is owner of the Fruit Evaporator at Washington Mills, to which he devotes his attention during the season of operating, and acting as traveling salesman for a Utica house the remainder of the year. In 1876 he married Emma E., daughter of Pardon Russell, of Frankfort, Herkimer county, by whom he had three children: Charles W., and Earl R., now associated with the evaporator business; and Cora E. (deceased), who died in 1887 at seven years of age. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and Odd Fellows. (p. 162) [Top]

LINDSLEY, SMITH M., was born in Monticello, N. Y., in 1847. His grandfather, Eliud Lindsley, was a pioneer settler of Sullivan county, and is prominently mentioned in the histories of that county. His father, Rufus B., was a well known farmer and stock dealer while his mother was a daughter of Smith Weed, of whose family the famous Smith Weed, of Clinton county, is a member. Mr. Lindsley was graduated from the Monticello Academy as valedictorian of his class and completed his studies at the Wyoming Seminary and College in Pennsylvania, and was afterwards a member of the faculty of that institution for one year. He then read law in Wilkesbarre, Pa., till 1869, when he came to Utica and entered the office of Hon. Francis Kernan. He was admitted to the bar in 1870 and immediately entered upon his successful professional career in Utica. A Democrat in politics he was elected city attorney by popular vote in 1872 and served two terms. Since then he has declined many political honors and devoted himself assiduously to his extensive law practice. In 1885 he became president of the First National Bank of Chittenango and still holds that position. He is a Mason, an Odd Fellow, and a prominent member of the Royal Arcanum, having served two years from 1887 as supreme regent of that order. His work in furthering the interests of this latter organization has given him a wide reputation. In 1873 he married Dorlissa, daughter of John W. Johnston, a prominent lawyer of Sullivan county. In 1895 he was unanimously nominated by his party for justice of the Supreme Court of the State, but he declined to run. (p. 278-279) [Top]

LINSLEY, HARVEY, is a native of Middlebury, Vt., and in 1833, when but one year old, came with his parents to Madison county, settling in the town of Lenox. His father, Hiram Linsley, was a lifelong farmer, and was born in 1796. He married Maria Rugg, a native of Vermont, who died in 1874. Mr. Linsley died in 1876. Harvey Linsley, at the age of nine years, was bound out until he became of age. In the mean time he attended the public school in Klockville, Madison county, and afterwards pursued his farm life. At the age of nineteen, having bought his remaining time of service, he went to Wampsville, and soon after, in 1862, enlisted in the 157th N. Y. Vols., remaining in the service for three years, and while there he received a severe wound from a shot in the left side. He was promoted from private to corporal, then to fifth sergeant, and finally to third sergeant, serving in that official capacity during the rest of the war. Since his return from the army he has been engaged in farming in Madison and Oneida counties, having occupied his present farm residence for a long period of time. He married Lucretia C. Stam, daughter of George D. and Elizabeth Stam, by whom he has one daughter, Blanche, married to George I. Lloyd, who is in business in Syracuse. (p. 238) [Top]

LINTS, JEREMIAH, was born at Alder Creek, N. Y., in 1857, son of Solomon Lints, a farmer, whose family are noted for longevity. The boyhood of Jeremiah Lints was spent on a farm until he was nineteen years of age. He came to Boonville in 1877, where he engaged in the cooper business in the same shop on Post street where he now carries on an extensive work, manufacturing tubs, churns, and other labor-saving dairy utensils; these he ships to Rome, Utica, and other points in Oneida county, in 1883 he married Elizabeth Farley, of Remsen. Mr. Lints is a member of the I. 0. O. F. (p. 179) [Top]

LLOYD, DAVID R., son of Richard & Winifred Lloyd, was born in Wales in 1824. He was one of six children: Evan, John, Mary, William, Catherine and David R. In 1854 he settled in Utica. There he married Sidna, daughter of Lewis Owen, by whom he had eight children: Winifred (deceased wife of William D. Edwards); Mary, wife of John P. Jones, Harriet, John Lemuel, William, David R. Jr. and Evan H. After leaving Utica, where he resided for some time, he became engaged in farming. He now resides on what is known as the Fox farm, two miles from Holland Patent. Mr. Lloyd is a deacon in the Bethany Presbyterian Church, of which he has been a trustee. Evan H. is employed by the N. Y. C. R. R. as stenographer and typewriter at Utica. David R. jr. was graduated from the State Normal School at Oneonta and is teaching at Forestport, N. Y. William, after taking a course in music, is engaged in giving vocal lessons. (p. 99) [Top]

LOCKWOOD, ANDREW J., was born in Berlin, Rensselaer county, N.Y., February 13, 1846. His father, Cornelius Lockwood, was a farmer, charcoal maker and lumberman, born in Rensselaer in 1806, son of John Lockwood, of Walton, Delaware county, N. Y. His mother was Asenath Hornocker, born in Stephentown, Rensselaer county, in 1814. In 1859 they removed to Forestport, where Mr. Lockwood died in April, 1890, aged eighty-four years, and Mrs. Lockwood died in February, 1892, aged nearly seventy-eight years. The other children born to Cornelius Lockwood and wife were: two who died infancy; Jane Elizabeth Cropsey, married in 1852, died April 1, 1882; James E., died February 21, 1882; Cornelius, of Utica; Adelia died aged two years, then Andrew J., the subject of this sketch; Henry, living at White Lake, N. Y. ; Catharine M. Griffith, at White Lake; Lewis of Forestport; and Amaziah, of New York city. January 1, 1864, when nearly eighteen years of age, Andrew J. Lockwood enlisted in Co. F, l17th N.Y. Vols., and went out as a recruit, but was later transferred to the 48th Regiment, his principal battles being Swift Creek, Drury's Bluff, Bermuda Hundred, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Fort Fisher, Fort Anderson, campaign of the Carolinas and Bennett House. Since the war he has been actively engaged in lumbering and farming, owning two farms, and devotes his time to dairy farming. He has served as poormaster and assessor of his town, and is now serving in the latter capacity. He is now commander of the Henry Walker G. A. R. Post No. 181 of Forestport. In December, 1866, be married Mary J. Drextel, by whom he bas bad seven children: Olive A. Betsinger, of the town of Western; Solon A., deceased; Victor V., married and has two sons, Earl V. and Andrew J., jr.; Chloe H., deceased; Edith L. Casler, of Forestport; Mary A.; and Royal H., deceased. Mrs. Mary Lockwood died September 22, 1893, and his present wife, to whom be was married December 6, 1894, is Maria La Moine Kirkland, who was born in Whitestown June 13, 1863, daughter of James B. and Amy Jane (Carpenter) Kirkland, of Forestport, N.Y. (p. 106-107)

LOOMIS, U.L., was born in Cassville, July 6, 1856, son of George R. and Clarissa (Maxson) Loomis. He began for himself by first engaging as clerk in the store he now owns; and has been twenty-seven years in this stand, seventeen of which he has been in business for himself, and in 1888 he purchased the property. He is an active Republican and has been a member of the town committee for five years, and has been justice of the peace for over ten years. In 1878 he married Julia Nichols, by whom he has one daughter, Martha L. Mr. Loomis was postmaster of Cassville under President Harrison. (p. 272) [Top]

LORENZ, ANTON, was born in Baden, Germany, April 8, 1841. He was partly educated there, and came to the United States with his parents when ten years of age, locating in the town of Verona, where he finished his education in the district schools, after which he engaged as a farm hand. June 24, 1862, he enlisted in Co. A., 117th N.Y. Vols., and served in the Army of the James. He was wounded in the hip in the battle of Drury's Bluff, was transferred to Co. E, 24th Veteran Reserves and was honorably discharged June 25, 1865, when he returned to Verona, N.Y. In 1864 he married Barbara Strell, of Rome, N.Y., by whom he had eight children: Ida B., Frank J., Catherine M., Emma E., Rose I., Mary C., Anton J., and Caroline B. Catherine M. married John Bisenfelder, of Rome, N.Y., and they have three children: Albert F., Pauline I., and Margaret E. Mrs. Lorenz's father, Joseph Strell, was born in Austria, and upon his death his wife married for her second husband, Casper Streabb, and they had five children. The family came here in 1853 and located in Oneida, where they remained five years when they settled in Rome, N.Y. Mr. Lorenz is a member of the Joseph H. Warren Post, No. 615, G.A.R., Dept. N.Y. He has been in the employ of the N.Y.C. & H.R.R. Co. twenty-six years, and his son, Frank J., ten years. (p. 331) [Top]

LOWE, CHARLES, was born near London, England, December 6, 1839. He was partly educated there, and came to the United States in 1850, at Pratt's Hollow, Madison County, N. Y. When seventeen years of age he went to Norwich, Chanango county, where he learned the tanner's trade, and in 1864, he came to Oneida, where he worked for Hon. George Berry for fifteen years, most of the time as foremen. In 1877, he purchased the David and Hezekiah Brooks farm, improving it in many ways, erecting a new residence, barns, and fences. October 25, 1860, he married Mary J. Manchester, of Pratt's Hollow, by whom he had seven children: Nellie L., Roscoe C., Fenton E., Cora M., George E., Libbie J., and Jesse E., who died in infancy. Nellie I. married John B. Williams, now of Denver Col., and they have one son, Paul L. Cora M. married George Clark, of Oneida, N. Y., and they have one son, Charles L. Fenton E. is a resident of Quincy, Mass. Mr. Lowe's father, Thomas Lowe, was born at the old home in England, in 1810. He married Elizabeth Thaster, of Elson, by whom he had nine children: John, William, James, Charles, as above, Robert, Walter, Septimus, and Sarah and Elizabeth, twins. The family came to the United States in 1850. Mrs. Lowe died in England about 1848, and for his second wife Mr. Lowe married Sarah Barnes. Mr. Lowe died in 1872. Mrs. Lowe's father, William Manchester, was born in Rhode Island. He was educated there, and married Catherine Oderkirk, of Hoosick by whom he had thirteen children, only tow of whom are now living: Mary J. and James. Mr. Manchester died in 1836, and his wife in 1861. Mr. Lowe has been a member of Oneida Lodge, No. 270, F. & A. M., since 1867, of which he was master in 1895. He has held the office of assessor six years. The ancestry of the family is English on both sides. (p. 58) [Top]

LUMBARD, H., was born in Waterville, July 16, 1825, and learned the harness business with his father, Phillip Lumbard, who walked from Massachusetts and settled here over eighty years ago. His mother was Abigail Winchester of New Hartford, daughter of Lucretia Pyporn, a French lady. Mr. H. Lumbard followed the harness business for some years, and was noted for the superior quality of goods he carried. After giving up this business he engaged in farming and is one of the leading farmers of Sangerfield, and also the leading auctioneer of the southern part of Oneida county. He has also done a great deal of patent right business here and in Ohio and Michigan. (p. 317) [Top]

LUTHER, THOMAS AND MARY.--The late John Luther was born in the parish of Dunbarton, Scotland, November 14, 1814 and was educated there, coming to the United States in 1849, remaining for a time in New York city and then locating near Philadelphia, Pa., where he resided several years. He was a machinist by trade. In 1852 he purchased the homestead in the town of Rome, and came to reside upon it about the year 1855. July 3, 1860, he married Janet Robertson, of the town of Camden, by whom he had four children: Mary B., Nettie, John H., and Thomas W. Mary B. is a school teacher, and is now principal of the school in New London, N.Y. Mr. Lauther [sic] died May 30, 1884. Mrs. Lauther's [sic] father, John Robertson, was born in Scotland in 1787. He married Mary Lawson, who was born in the same year and place, by whom he had eleven children. They came to the United States in 1852, locating in Camden, N. Y. Both father and mother are dead. (p. 277-278) [Top]

LYMAN, CHARLES SIMEON, was born in Westmoreland, N. Y., September 10, 1846, son of Simeon and Amanda Colton (Howard) Lyman. Simeon Lyman was born in Connecticut and came to Westmoreland in later years, where he engaged in farming and also ran a saw mill. He died August 10, 1868. Amanda Lyman, his wife, was born in Starkey, N. Y. Charles S. first attended the district school, then Hampton Spring Institute, and afterwards the Whitestown Seminary. He then engaged in clerking and afterwards was in the mercantile business in Westmoreland. He is now engaged in farming and conducts the homestead farm. Mr. Lyman was postmaster under Mr. Harrison's administration and was road commissioner for four years. He married Clara Bedient, of Westmoreland, by whom he has three children: Mary A., Fannie E. and C. Herrick. Mr. Lyman and his father before him, have always been representative citizens of Westmoreland. (p. 135) [Top]

LYNCH, ANTHONY V., came from Eaton, Madison county, to Utica in May, 1872, and for a few years was engaged in various business occupations. He was superintendent in Hon. S.S. Lowery's Knitting Mill from 1878 to 1881, and then started a furnishing goods business, which he still continues, the present firm being Lynch & Kelly. In 1885 he formed a partnership with Charles G. Duffy, under the firm name of Lynch & Duffy, and engaged in the manufactnre [sic] of Scotch caps, continuing until Mr. Duffy's death in 1887. Since then the business has been snccessfully [sic] continued under the style of the Lynch Scotch Cap Company. They manufacture Scotch caps, tam o'shanters, toques, etc. Mr. Lynch was one of the original members of branch 63, C. M. B. A., and its first president, and is also a member of the C. B. L., and the A. 0. H. In 1885 he married Theresa M. Gaynor, sister of Judge William J. Gaynor, of Brooklyn, and they have one son, A. Vincent Lynch, born August 23, 1887. (p. 363) [Top]