PADDOCK, DANIEL, was born in the town of Steuben, Oneida county, N. Y., February 20, 1834, son of James Paddock, who was born in the town of Western April 12, 1804. James Paddock was a farmer and always resided in the towns of Steuben and Western. He married Susan Edick, of Herkimer county, N. Y., by whom he had ten children: James H., Mary A., Daniel, Loleyann, Joseph, David, George, Philo, Susan, and Nettie. Daniel Paddock was educated in the town of Steuben, then engaged in farming, now owning a farm of eighty acres of mostly improved land and has a small dairy. Mr. Paddock married Maria, daughter of Uriah Fitch, of Steuben, by whom he had three children: Albert, a farmer; Esther, wife of Andrew Balconi; and John E., at home. The family are members of the M. E. church. (p. 62) [Top]

PADDOCK, HARVEY, was born in Western, on the farm where he now resides, November 25, 1815, and is the oldest native born resident of Western. He is a son of Daniel, jr., and Diadama (Selden) Paddock, both natives of the State, the former born March 1, 1794, and his wife, February 5, 1794. His paternal grandfather, Daniel Paddock, sr., a native of Albany county, N.Y., and his maternal grandfather, Thomas Selden, a native of Vermont, settled in Rome, Oneida county, in 1797, where the latter resided until his death. Daniel Paddock, sr., remained in Rome about one year, and in 1799 settled in Western, where he cleared a farm on which he lived and died. Daniel Paddock, jr., was reared in Western from five years of age, where he spent his life in farming. He cleared a part of the farm now owned by his son, Harvey, on which he was found dead June 3, 1831, and was supposed to have been murdered. Harvey Paddock has always lived on the old homestead, with the exception of five years spent in Westernville where he engaged in the hotel business. In 1841 he married Betsey, daughter of Nicholas and Maria (Wagner) Reese, of Western, by whom he has one son, Arden H., who is engaged in farming on the old homestead. Mr. Paddock was commissioner of highways of Western for fifteen years, and in politics is a Republican. (p. 165) [Top]

PALMER, E. G., was born at Peterboro, N. H. October 19, 1836, son of Benjamin Palmer, and their paternal lineage traces direct to the Mayflower. E. G. Palmer was educated at Northville and Amsterdam, and his first independent venture in mercantile life was at Little Falls, where he engaged in the hardware business. In 1862 he came to Boonville, continuing the same business for a period of twenty-three years, when he established himself as a florist, at which he has achieved marked success. In 1867 he married Esther Avery of Boonville, descendant of an old New Hampshire family, by whom he has had five children: Burton, Ernest, and Elwin, and also a son and daughter who died in infancy. Mr. Palmer has run the gamut of official life from treasurer and trustee of the village to his present position as supervisor, having been first elected to the latter office in 1890. (p. 177) [Top]

PALMER, E. H., was born in New Hartford, Oneida county, N. Y., in 1837. His father, Joshua Palmer, was born in Connecticut, and was an early settler of this town, keeping a "half-way house " on the Whitestown road. He married Adaline Sanford, of New Hartford, by whom he had four children, of whom E. H. is the only survivor: Ai, Celia, Elias H., and Esther. Elias H. Palmer has spent his whole life here, and has always been a farmer. In 1860 he married Clara H. Jones, of an old local pioneer family, also of Connecticut, by whom he had one daughter, Belle, now the wife of William Owens, of Whitestown. (p. 259) [Top]

PARKE, MORGAN ADELBERT, was born in Westmoreland, November 4, 1853, son of David N. and Mary J. (Morgan) Parke. David N. Parke was born in Eaton, Madison county, in 1820, and came to Westmoreland about 1848, where he bought a farm, clearing part of it himself, and which he conducted until his death, January 22, 1888. Morgan A. Parke was educated at Whitestown, and then engaged in farming on the old homestead farm. Mr. Parke is a staunch Republican, and takes an active interest in the success of his party. Mr. Parke married Jennie S. Armstrong, daughter of Chauncey M. Armstrong of Rome, by whom he has three children: Estella May, Edna Alice, and Ruth Helena. Mr. Parke and wife are members of the Bartlett Baptist church. (p. 152-153) [Top]

PARKINSON, T.W., was born at Bridgewater, N.Y., November 9, 1852, son of Thomas and Eunice Parkinson, the former a native of England; and Mrs. Parkinson's father was one of the first settlers in this part of the county. Thomas Parkinson is the present postmaster of North Bridgewater, a position he has held for the past twenty years. T. W. Parkinson was educated at the Winfield Academy, and the Eastman's Commercial College at Poughkeepsie, N.Y. In March, 1876, he married Catherine Roberts. by whom he has two sons: Clarence and Floyd. Mr. Parkinson is one of the prominent farmers in the town of Bridgewater, a member of the Equitable Aid Union, and also a staunch Republican. (p. 140-141) [Top]

PARKS, PERRY, was born on the farm he now owns in the town of Camden, March 14, 1842, son of Marshall F. Parks, who was born in Connecticut. Marshall F. came to Camden in an early day and took up the farm now owned by his son Perry, which consisted of 200 acres, about 125 acres of which were improved. He married Eliza Hall of Connecticut, whose parents were among the first settlers of Oswego county, by whom he had six children: Daniel, Joshua, Hannah, Sarah, Perry and Clara, only four of whom are now living. Perry Parks was educated in the town of Camden, and is now engaged in farming on the old homestead. He married Ella, daughter of Henry Hall, of Annsville, by whom he had one son, Charles, who resides on the farm with his parents. (p. 44)

PARMELEE, DAVID E., was born in Kirkland, May 12, 1821, and was one of the ten children of Chester and Haddassah Parmelee. Chester Parmelee came here from Connecticut ninety-five years ago, and was about nineteen years of age when his parents settled here. His father and brother died soon after coming here. David E. Parmelee was educated in the district schools of Kirkland, and engaged in farming, which he followed up to a few years ago, when he moved to the village of Clinton. He is the owner of the old homestead farm of 130 acres. December 8, 1846, he married for his first wife, Amy Pierce, and January 14, 1852, he married Elizabeth Cole, by whom he has two children: Flora R. and Charles W. Mr. Parmelee was for six years town assessor, and for nine years village assessor. (p. 258-259) [Top]

PARSELL, CHARLES D., was born in Western, December 8, 1858, son of Alanson and Mary A. (Bullock) Parsell; the former was born in Ulster county, N. Y., in 1815, and came with his father to Parish, Oswego county, N. Y., in 1824, and the latter in Norway, Herkimer county, N. Y., in 1825. About 1837, Mr. Parsell settled in Western, where he worked at the carpenter and joiner trade until his death, January 31, 1892. He was twice married, and his first wife was Eliza Shott, by whom he had two children: Martha (Mrs. Silas Ball), and Parisade (Mrs. Russell M. Frazer). His second wife was Mary A. Bullock, by whom he had two children, of whom our subject is sold survivor. Chares D. was reared in Western, and educated in the common schools, Rome Academy and Holland Patent High School. For seventeen winters, he taught school and worked at the carpenter trade with his father in the summer, and since 1882, has been engaged in the manufacture of cheese, averaging about 100,000 lbs. annually. November 22, 1882, he married Lizzie A., daughter of Owen D. and Eleanor (Jones) Jones, of Lee, by whom he has three children: Bessie A., Anson Dudley, and John C. (p. 47) [Top]

PATTEN, DELFORD, was born in the town of Verona, N. Y., in 1828. He was educated in the public schools and Cazenovia Seminary, and has always followed the occupation of farming. February 17, 1878, he married Charlotte A. Stewart, of Oneida, Madison county, and they have one son, Robert B., who is a farmer at home. Mr. Patten's father, Alfred Patten, was born in Manheim, Herkimer county, N. Y., in 1796. He was educated in the schools of his day and was a farmer by occupation. He married Ann Benedict, of Richfield, Otsego county, N. Y., by whom he had four children: Lafayette, Robert, Delford, as above, and Barbara A. He was a colonel in the State militia, and was a soldier in the war of 1812. He died June 6, 1873, and his wife September 5, 1875. Mrs. Patten's father, George Stewart, was born near Blaranathel, Perthshire, Scotland, in 1792, and came to the United States with his parents when twelve years of age, locating in Madison county, N. Y. He married twice, first to Miss Mercy Grose, by whom he had two children: Daniel and Elizabeth. For his second wife he married Jane Stewart, of Johnstown, Fulton county, by whom he had five children: Catherine M., John G., Alexander J., Charlotte A., as above, and Jeanette S. He died November 6, 1875, and his wife November 16, 1889. The ancestry of this family is English, Dutch and Scotch. (p. 111) [Top]

PATTENGILL, LUCIA G.--Charles N. Pattengill was born in New Lisbon, Otsego county, N.Y., December 11, 1820, son of Lemuel Pattengill, a captain in the war of 1812 who was captured by the British and exchanged. Charles N. Pattengill was educated at the Oneida Institute, Gilbertsville Academy and Oxford. He first studied law, and at the same time was engaged in teaching, but after qualifying himself for the bar he felt that his calling lay in the ministry, which he entered in 1853, his first pastorate being Westville church, Westville, Otsego county. After officiating there four years he came to Whitesboro, where he remained ten years before going to Palmyra. He remained there six years, then went to Gloversville for four years, thence to Fayetteville, where he remained about three years. He was naturally a ready and fluent speaker, a man of rare earnestness and power. In the late Civil war his eloquence found a great theme, and, inspired by patriotism, his addresses did much for the Union during that period of great trial. His ministry at Whitesboro was noted for its successful results and the good he accomplished. In Palmyra he worked unremittingly, building a magnificent church, raising the money for this edifice and designing the interior himself. He married Lucia Gregory, by whom he had three children: John Gregory, who died in 1862; Charles Fennimore, who resides with his mother in Whitesboro; and Lucia Louise who married Levi S. Chapman, a well-known lawyer of Syracuse. (p. 147) [Top]

PATTERSON, JOHN H., son of John and Mary (Grierson) Patterson, was born in Dumfries, Scotland, November 8, 1846, and came to America with his parents in 1848, settling in Utica, where his father died in October, 1892, and his mother in May, 1892. John Patterson was a hatter and later a fur maker, being associated with the firm of George Wescott & Co. for many years. The family lived in Kentucky from 1855 to 1861. April 18, 1861, John Patterson enlisted in Co. H, 14th N.Y. Vols., and served two years, participating in the battles of West Point, Va., Hanover Court House, Mechanicsville, Gaines Mills, Savage Station, Malvern Hill, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and others, being wounded at Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862. In September 1862, he was made corporal and placed in the color guard, and was honorably discharged at Utica, May 23, 1863. He was a clerk for J. Harter & Son till November, 1865, when he went to Mexico and enlisted in the Mexican regular army under General Cortenuss, serving three years and becoming lieutenant. He was then engaged in the cattle business in Texas until 1783, when he returned to Utica, where he has since carried on carpentering, building, and real estate operations. He was a member of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Union of Utica during its existence and is now a member of Bacon Post, No. 5, G.A.R., which he has served as quartermaster and as a delegate to State and National encampments. August 18, 1889, he married Mrs. Mary M.R. Parks, a local writer and public speaker of prominence, who died May 21, 1895. (p. 345-346) [Top]

PEARL, H. D., was born in Hamilton, Madison county, July 13, 1835, son of E. C. Pearl, who was one of the first settlers in Kirkland, where he conducted a large boot and shoe business. He emigrated from Connecticut in the early days of this county, at that time a wilderness, inhabited by the Indians. E. C. Pearl married Caroline Upham, of Hamilton, Madison county, by whom he had five children. H. D. Pearl was educated in the district school, and is engaged in farming, owning a farm of thirty acres. He has filled the office of assessor, and also excise commissioner. He first married Harriet, daughter of Andrew Mills, one of the oldest settlers. His present wife is Mrs. Adelaide Pollard, daughter of Chester Jenks, of the town of Marshall. Mr. Pearl is a member of Clinton Lodge No. 169, F. & A. M. (p. 299) [Top]

PECK, DWIGHT BRISTOL.--The Peck family is one of the best known and oldest in the town of Marshall, being descended from Paul Peck, who came to Hartford, Conn., in 1635 and was a prominent man in the colony; was ordained deacon in the first church in Hartford under Rev. Thomas Hooker Zebulon, of the fifth generation, came to Marshall from Connecticut in 1801 to join his son Isaac, who came in 1797. He was a remarkable man in many ways, and especially noted as a deep thinker and concise writer. Was a member of the Connecticut Legislature for fourteen sessions and a delegate in the Constitutional Convention in 1788. Isaac Peck, his son, was the father or George Bristol Peck, a substantial and influential citizen, and he was the father of Dwight B. Peck. In February, 1869 Dwight B. Peck married Ada Marie Lewis, by whom he had two sons: Paul, who died in 1885, and Percival D., who lives with his parents at the homestead, which contains many heirlooms and much of historic interest. Mrs. Peck is a writer of ability, contributing to many leading periodicals. The early pedigree and arms of the Pecks may be found in the British Museum under the date of November 20, 1620. Marriages with two heiresses of rank formed the quarterings. The motto is "Probitatem Quam Divitias." (p. 253-254) [Top]

PECKHAM, S. WILBER, son of Andrew J., was born in the town of Madison, Madison county, November 6, 1860, and received his education in the schools of that community. In 1883 he accompanied his father to Utica, where he has since resided. The latter returned to Madison county and died there in June, 1893. Mr. Peckham pursued a course in the Utica Business College, engaged in various occupations, and for about two years was assistant bookkeeper and telegraph operator for the Franklin Iron Manufacturing Company. On January 23,1893, he accepted his present position as bookkeeper for John H. Sheehan & Co. (p. 188) [Top]

PELTON, A.G., is a native of Richfield, Otsego county, born in 1850, son of Giles W. Pelton, who is of Scotch and English descent. He received his education at Winfield Academy, and after teaching school for thirteen years, he engaged in farming. He is an earnest advocate of the Republican party and has been justice of the peace since 1889. His father was an influential farmer before him, and is still a living representative of that sturdy class of men, who were the foundation on which the fame of Oneida county rests. In 1884 A. G. Pelton married Nancy Adams, of Irish birth. (p. 203-204) [Top]

PENDER, WILLIAM, was born in Ireland in 1832, and came to the United States in 1853, and first settled in Deerfield. He afterwards went to Marcy and engaged in farming, and then came to Whitestown, where he hired a farm, and later bought his present one. He also assisted Dr. Wight on his farm, and then resumed the cultivation of his own farm, and he has a good farm all under cultivation. He married Sarah J. Metcalf, of Whitestown, by whom he has two children: Charles and William. Charles is engaged in the creamery business, and William assists his father on the farm. Mr. Pender is a member of St. Paul's church at Whitestown. (p. 320) [Top]

PEPPER, EDWIN J., was born in Oswego county, N. Y., February 3, 1845. He married Nancy, a daughter of Thomas and Nancy (Lewis) Paul, by whom he has four children: Cora E., wife of Fred Wickham, Roscoe H., Bertha H., and Arthur M., all natives of Floyd. He studied law in Cape Vincent, N. Y., and which at the present time, he practices in the justice court of the county; although his chief occupation has been farming. He enlisted August 24, 1863, in Co. G, 20th N. Y. Ca., and was mustered out July 31, 1865, and served as a non-commissioned officer. He belongs to Post Hunt, No. 510 of Holland Patent, and has been commander and junior vice-commander of the same. He is the present justice of the peace and has held most of the elective offices of the town. He is trustee of the Floyd Methodist Episcopal Church and contributed liberally at the rebuilding of the same. (p. 46) [Top]

PERKINS, WILLIAM, was born on the farm where he now resides, March 3, 1823, son of Elam and Annie (Merriam) Perkins. Elam Perkins commenced life as a pioneer and general farmer, and was a natural mechanic and carpenter. He was assessor of Trenton fifteen years and supervisor one term. His children were William, and Louise, wife of George Egert. The grandparents, George and Lucy Perkins, came from Connecticut and settled in Trenton about 1808. Their children were Jabez, Daniel, James, and Ellen. William Perkins married Helen H., daughter of William and Dorcas Broadwell, by whom he has two children: Annie, wife of Beeman Osgood; and Emerette, wife of R.W. Nuthull. Mr. Perkins is very active in town affairs, having been assessor of the town for the past thirty-six years in succession. He owns a farm of 300 acres, and is also owner of Perkins House, a summer resort where many prominent people spend their summers. (p. 216) [Top]

PERRY, GILBERT , was born in Franklin county in 1855, son of Frank Perry, who was born in Canada in 1830, son of Martin, who was a laborer. Frank Perry was a farmer and woodsman, and came to Franklin county about 1845, where he still resides. He married Betsey Farmer, by whom he had one child, Gilbert, who attended the district school and was brought up to lumbering. When sixteen years of age he began for himself and when eighteen years of age took his first lumber contract. From 1878 to 1888 he was employed as foreman under a superintendent in the lumber woods, and during 1888 acted as superintendent, putting in a stock of 21,500. 000 feet of lumber. In 1889 he was sent to Oneida county and the Adirondacks prospecting for timber, the result of which was the purchasing of 93,000 acres of land by a syndicate, and the following year he came to Forestport as superintendent of a logging crew. He built the first logging camp on Black River and began operations with twenty-five men, the next year he entered into contract with the Forestport Lumber Company to clear Black River Valley of the lumber timber. In 1894 he took another contract of Denton & Waterbury to clear from a large tract of land the timber amounting to 400,000,000 feet and to deliver the logs at their mill at Forestport; these two later contracts he is still operating on. Mr. Perry owns a farm in Franklin county and one in Forestport, where he now resides and which he superintends. He is an active, enterprising business man, and to him is due the opening of the Black River country. In 1892 he put in a general store in Forestport and in 1895 erected a store at North Lake, which he stocked with general merchandise. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In 1877 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Charles Camp, of Franklin county, by whom he has three children: Violet, May and Jane (p. 100) [Top]

PHELPS, C. A., senior member of the dry good firm of C. A. & A. C. Phelps, was born in Camden, June 21, 1856. He was a farmer and corn packer up to twelve years ago, since which time he has been in the mercantile business. They purchased the stock and good will of Frisbie & Stansfield, and have now the leading business in that line in Camden. Albert C. was born to this town, and they have always been associated together in business. (p. 45) [Top]

PHELPS, PLINY, was born in the town of Camden, January 21, 1816, son of Benjamin Phelps who was born in the town of Simsbury, Connecticut, in 1782. He came to the town of Camden in 1803, and cleared a farm of two hundred and twenty-five acres. He married Sallie Parks of Connecticut, and they were the parents of seven children. Pliny Phelps was educated in the district schools of Camden, and has been mostly engaged in farming and lumbering. He has also been a carpenter and builder, and has erected a great many buildings in the town of Camden. He married Nancy, daughter of John Robinson of Vienna, and they have five children: Byron, William, Adelia, Sophia, and Jennie. Mr. Phelps was commissioner of highways in 1859, '60, and '61, and supervisor in 1862. In politics he is a Republican. (p. 23) [Top]

PILLMORE, JOHN, was born in Yorkshire, England, May 14, 1830, a son of William and Sarah (Rowbotham) Pillmore. In 1836 he came to America with his mother, a widow with eight children: George, Jane (Mrs. William Floyd), William, Mary (Mrs. Pardon Macomber), Robert, Thomas, John and Sarah (Mrs. Thomas A. Shirley), who located in Western. John was reared in Western and in 1849 he crossed the plains to California, where he remained eight years successfully engaged in mining. In 1857 he returned home and in 1866 purchased the farm in Western which he still retains, but resides in Rome. In 1860 he married Margaret, daughter of Daniel D. and Mary (Young) VanAlstine, of Danube, Herkimer county, and they have three children: Charles of Western, Fred and Grace of Rome. Mr. & Mrs. Pillmore are members of the Methodist Church. In politics he is Republican. Tradition links the early history of the Pillmores with that of Rev. Joseph Pilmoor, one of two of the first traveling preachers sent to American in 1769 by Rev. John Wesley. (p. 109) [Top]

PILLMORE, JOHNSON, was born in Western, Oneida county, N. Y., January 23, 1848, a son of William and Catherine (McAlpin) Pillmore, natives of England and Scotland, respectively. William, who was born in 1821, was a son of William and Sarah (Rowbotham) Pillman, and came to America in 1833, and has spent nearly all of his life in Western, where he still resides as a retired farmer. His wife, Catherine, was a daughter of William and Sarah (Johnson) McAlpin, natives of Scotland, and lately of Boonville. Mr. and Mrs. Pillmore are the parents of eight children: Sarah (Mrs. Evan Owens), Johnson, William, Mary (deceased), Frank, Robert, David, and Edward (deceased). Johnson Pillmore was educated at Rome Academy, where he spent four years under the preceptorship of M. C. West, the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, from where he was graduated in 1872, and College of Medicine and Surgery, Cincinnati, O., class 1871-2. He began the practice of his profession in the hospitals of the latter city, and in 1873, located at Delta, where he has since resided and built up a lucrative practice. November 18, 1872, he married Sarah, daughter of William and Martha (Evans) Reese, of Western, formerly of Wales, and to them were born two children: Catherine E. and Susie B. For his second wife he married Mary, daughter of Alfred and Sophronia (Rogers) Utley of Western, and they are the parents of two children: George U. and Sarah S. Dr. Pillmore is a member of the Methodist Church, the F. & A. M., and Oneida County Medical Society. In politics he is a Democrat. Tradition links the family history of the Pillmores with that of Rev. Joseph Pilmore, one of the traveling preachers sent to America in 1869, by John Wesley. (p. 24) [Top]

PILLMORE, WILLIAM F. was born in Western, Oneida county, September 19, 1853, a son of William and Catherine (McAlpin) Pillmore, and is of English and Scotch parentage. He was reared on the farm he now owns and occupies, educated in the public schools and Cazenovia and Whitestown Academies, and has always followed farming as a occupation. July 4, 1877, he married Louisa, daughter of Christian and Margaret (Bienz) Stahl, of Western, by whom he has seven children: Chester C., Leonard R., Ina E., Tina L., William Roy, Bertha M., and an infant daughter. Mr. Pillmore is a member of the F. & A. M., has served three terms as supervisor of Western, and in politics is a Republican. (p. 23) [Top]

PITCHER, HERBERT D., son of Dwight and Pheobe A. Pitcher, was born October 13, 1860, in Boonville, Oneida county, where his paternal grandfather became a very early settler. He was graduated from Boonville Academy, read law in Utica with Cookingham and Sherman, and was admitted to the bar at Syracuse in 1888. Since then he has been a law partner of Myron W. VanAuken, the firm name being VanAuken & Pitcher. (p. 352) [Top]

PITTOCK, LEWIS, was born in Deerfield, N. Y., May 18, 1858, sbn of William and Margaret Pittock. William Pittock was a son of William Pittock, who came from England with his family in 1829. Their children were Mary Walker, Sarah Johnson, and William. William, jr., married Margaret, Smallenberger, by whom he had five children: William D., Charles, Catherine Schrider, Jacob, and Lewis. William, jr., was a farmer, also a mason. Lewis Pittcock married Libbie, a daughter of Jacob and Catherine Mosier, of Trenton, by whom he has two children: Winneford and Clara M. Mr. Pittock is a natural mechanic and carpenter. He and his wife are members of the Holland Patent Grange. (p. 216) [Top]

PITTOCK, WILLIAM D., was born in Marcy, January 19, 1843, son of William and Margaret (Smallenberger) Pittock, natives of England and Germany, respectively. His grandparents, William and Sarah Pittock, came from England and settled in Marcy at an early day and engaged in farming. His maternal grandfather, Charles Smallenberger, came from Germany to Marcy. William, sr., is a retired farmer of Deerfield, at eighty years of age; and Mrs. Pittock is seventy-four years of age. William, jr., learned the carpenter trade when young, which has been his principal occupation. In 1866 he married Rachel Yarky of Deerfield, who died in 1873, leaving one son, William G., with Dr. Brown in Utica. Mr. Pittock married for his second wife Mary (Sorn) King, widow of Curtin King, and sister of Henry Sorn of Bridgewater. They have one son, George W. Pittock. In 1871 Mr. Pittock built the Washington Hotel, which he conducted twenty years. In 1895 he established the Rheumatic Sanitarium at Deerfield. (p. 214) [Top]

PLUMB, HENRY A., was born in Washington Mills, Oneida county, March 27, 1850. He was educated at Whitestown Seminary, was graduated from the Advanced school in Utica, and also attended Fairfield Seminary. In July, 1867, he became a clerk in the drug store of C. H. Williamson of Utica, and after a period of seven years accepted a clerkship in the wholesale drug and grocery establishment of Comstock Brothers, where he remained a little more than two years. In November, 1876, he formed with A. G. Luce the firm of Luce & Plumb, and engaged in the retail drug business at 156 Genesee street. May 1, 1889, the firm moved to 198 Genesee street and on December 1, 1891, Mr. Plumb became sole proprietor. He is a member of the Utica Curling Club, a vestryman of Calvary Church, and secretary of the Central New York Patent Medicine Dealers' Association. (p. 185-186) [Top]

POHL, GEORGE D., was born in West Leyden, Lewis county, N.Y., December 25, 1855, son of Adam and Francisca (Vogal) Pohl, natives of Darmstadt, Germany, who came to America in 1853, stopping at New York city, from where they came to Lewis county, and finally settled in Ava. Mrs. Pohl died in 1883, and Mr. Pohl is still living at the age of sixty-seven. He is a blacksmith by trade, having learned the trade in Germany, and the shop in which he learned his trade and worked was conducted by his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, being in the family over 200 years. George D. learned the trade of his father. In 1886 he married Jennie R., daughter of Henry and Mary E. (Hicks) Slone. Mr. Slone was a graduate of the Eclectic Medical College at Philadelphia, and also of the Homeopathic College at Cincinnati. He began his practice at Vienna, and spent his last years in practice at Ava, where he died in 1872. In 1884 Mrs. Slone married Penn Rockwell of Ava. Mr. and Mrs. Pohl have three children: Florence M., Arthur and Harold. Mr. Pohl, with his brother, Valentine, began general blacksmith business at Ava in 1879. In 1883 they patented a curd mill, which they have since manufactured. They have also invented and manufactured an automatic curd agitator, and manufacture gas and gasoline engines, in which business they associated with themselves in 1894, Henry Pokosney, of Vienna, Austria, late of the automatic gas engine works of Philadelphia, Pa. They also conduct a foundry in which Frank Tryon, of Syracuse, is foreman. Mr. Pohl is at present justice of the peace. (p. 379) [Top]

POLLARD, GRANT J., M.D., was born at Deansboro, N.Y., June 2, 1865. His father came from New Hampshire, where he was born April 4, 1829, and died at Deansboro, where he had been engaged in agriculture for more than fifty years. He was a descendant of the New England Puritan stock; his mother, Adelaide (Jenks) Pollard, was born at Deansboro in 1840, where she now resides. Dr. Pollard received his education at the Deansboro graded school and the Kirkland Hall at Clinton, N.Y. He subsequently attended the medical department of the University of Vermont, from which institution he was graduated in July, 1890. He began practice at Preble, N.Y., and in 1891, located at Oriskany Falls, where he has built up a prosperous and successful practice. (p. 140) [Top]

PORTER, CHESTER WINFIELD, was born in the town of Western, Oneida county, September 3, 1861, a son of Joel and Ann A. (French) Porter, natives of Oneida and Montgomery counties, respectively. His paternal grandfather, Chester Porter, a native of Connecticut, was a pioneer of Steuben, Oneida county, and was a tanner and shoe manufacturer. His paternal grandfather, a native of Massachusetts, was a woolen and shoepeg manufacturer. Joel Porter, father of Chester W., taught school in early manhood, but most of his life was spent in farming and cheese manufacturing, and he died in Western, March 2, 1895, aged seventy years. Chester Winfield Porter was educated in Syracuse Classical school and Syracuse University, and was graduated from the latter in 1884. He began life as an agriculturist and cheese manufacturer, in which he still continues, having been associated with his father until the death of the latter. In 1892-93, he served as member of assembly, representing the Third and Second districts of his county, respectively, and acquitted himself of his duties to the general satisfaction of his constituents. Mr. Porter is a supporter of the First M. E. church of Western, is a member of the I. O. O. F., and Psi Upsilon Fraternity, and politically is a Republican. (p. 39) [Top]

PORTER, GEORGE L., was born at Boonville in 1851, Son of Erastus C. Porter, who was also born at Boonville, and whose father, Ezekiel Porter, was a pioneer settler at the present homestead, where in the year 1810 he built the second frame house erected in that locality. Erastus C. Porter was twice married, having two children, one son and one daughter by his first wife who died in 1838; in 1842 he married Jane Kent, by whom he had two children, all of whom are now dead except George L., the subject of the present sketch. In 1886 Erastus C. Porter died aged eighty-one years; he was a man of sterling worth and energy and was respected and honored by all who knew him; his wife died nine years later aged eighty-three years. George L. Porter devoted his life to farming where his ancestors resided before him, and has done much to beautify the place by building a handsome residence and new barns and out buildings; In 1872 he married Sarah Reynolds, by whom he has four children: Charles E., Walter J., Frank and Le Roy. (p. 104) [Top]

PORTER, J. M., was born in the town of New Hartford in 1837, son of Rufus Porter, who was born in Connecticut. He is a direct descendant of Captain John Porter, and a representative of a family identified with the settlement of the town, his grandfather, Martin Porter, being one of the first settlers here. Mr. Porter was educated at Whitestown Seminary, and first engaged in farming. In early life he began making cider on his farm, and in 1886 moved into town and built the cider mill here, relinquishing all care of the farm to his son, Eugene C. Porter. He has also two daughters, Nettie R. and Grace A.; and one son, Wallace, died at the age of two years. Mr. Porter is a Democrat and has served his party as supervisor and assessor. (p. 232) [Top]

PORTER, N. W., was born in the town of Augusta, N. Y., February 12, 1850, son of Aaron and Paulina (Vaughan) Porter. The family originally came from Connecticut, and his grandfather, Reuben, was one of the early settlers in this section. Mr. Porter was engaged in farming for twenty years, after which he embarked in the hotel business and is one of the most successful in the county. In 1868 he married Favorite Miller, by whom he had three children: Adelbert. who married Elsie Gardner, and assists his father in the hotel business in the Hamilton House at Deansboro; Mrs. Bowner, and Mrs. Hawkins. (p. 355) [Top]

POTTER, CARROLL C., was born on the farm where he now resides, September 18, 1832, son of William and Angeline (Briggs) Potter, who settled in Marcy about 1824. They had eight children: Caroline Mattison, John, Betsey Fox, Carroll C., Roderick, Mary Ann Wilcox, Angeline and Henry J. William Potter was a farmer by occupation, and held the office of justice and assessor for about thirty years. He was also active in educational and church work, and helped to build the first school house in district No. 5, in the town of Marcy in 1832. He also helped to organize the Baptist society, and was trustee at the time the church was erected in 1842. Carroll C. Potter married Sarah S., daughter of Hiram Getman. Mr. Potter has been justice of the peace for twenty years, and was appointed postmaster at Marcy in 1868. He was captain in the 41st Regt., 21st Brigade, 6th Division, N. G. S. N. Y. Mr. Potter has been connected with the School Board since 1857, and has been an officer of the church for twenty-five years, also takes an active part in agricultural societies, and is a member of the New York Central Farmers' Club. He is a secretary of the State Good Roads Committee, also a member of the County Good Roads Society He is a member of Marcy Grange, Utica F. & A. M., Lodge No. 47, and of Oneida Chapter of Utica. (p. 102) [Top]

POTTER, G.R., was born in the town of Morris, Otsego county, August 17, 1846. He learned the trade of shoemaker and followed it for many years, after which he engaged in the hotel business at Sherburne, then at Oriskany Falls, and finally purchased the Central Hotel at Waterville in 1887. This he has recently improved and enlarged. September 1, 1866, he married Mary E. Roberts, by whom he has one daughter, Anna D., wife of C.W. Perry. Mr. Potter is a member of the Red Men, and is held in high esteem by a great many friends. (p. 314) [Top]

POTTER, GEORGE S., was born on the farm where he now resides, January 10, 1842, son of Samuel and Mary Potter, whose children were Russell F., Eliza J., George S., and Allen. Samuel Potter was a son of Joseph and Phebe (Adams) Potter, and their children were Lydia J., Dudley, Samuel, Ethan Allen, Joseph, Augustus, Madison and Benjamin E. Samuel Potter spent the early part of his life in teaching school, after which he engaged in farming. He was also active in church and county affairs, and was elected commissioner of deeds. George S. Potter is also engaged in farming and owns the homestead of 220 acres, and is interested in town and county affairs. (p. 210) [Top]

POTTER, JOHN H. was born in Lewis county in 1852, son of Stephen Potter, who was born in the town of Boonville in 1810, and he was one of five children born to John and Amy Potter. John Potter, grandfather of John H. Potter, was a native of Rhode Island; he was a farmer and came to Oneida county, where he settled in Boonville in 1805. He was a great reader, and well informed on all subjects, and lived to be ninety-seven years of age, and his wife to be eight-six years of age. Stephen Potter was a carpenter and farmer, and did a great deal of contracting and building. He lived in Lewis county many years, and is now residing with his son at West Branch, Oneida county, N. Y. He married Esther Harris, by whom he had eight children: Jerome, William, Norman, John, Almeda, Amy, Jeanette, and Gertrude. His wife died in 1890. John H. Potter was educated in the common schools, and at twenty years of age engaged in farming at Forestport, which he still continues; and in addition to his farming he has conducted a fire insurance business. He has served as town constable, collector, poormaster, and is now serving his fourth term as justice. He is a member and one of the organizers of the S. F. I., of which he was commander. In 1872, he married Mary, daughter of Anthony and Mary Parson, of Leyden, N. Y., who died in 1895, leaving three children: Lizzie, wife of Fred Stephon of Boonville; Florence and Walter, who are all members of the Presbyterian church. (p. 24-25) [Top]

POTTER, JOHN W., was born on the farm where he now resides, October 17, 1859, son of John and Sarah (Wilcox) Potter; and John was a son of William Potter, who settled in this county about 1826. John W. was one of two children; the other, Cora S., wife of James B. Weaver, of Fonda, Ia. John Potter was engaged in farming; was active in town and county affairs, and was interested in educational work. John W. Potter married Mary E., daughter of Evan D. and Elenor Jones. He has been very active in public affairs; was assessor of Floyd from 1884 to 1887, and also supervisor in 1888-89-90; and was elected supervisor of the town of Marcy March 3, 1896, for two years. He was very active in the church and Sunday-school of the Marcy Baptist church. Mr. Potter was master of the Marcy Grange No. 620 and member of Oriskany Lodge No. 799, F. & A. M. (p. 106)

POWELL, FRED R., was born in the town of Marcy, June 23, 1866, son of Raymer and Maria (Pickert) Powell. Fred R. was one of two children: Fred R. and Esther. Raymer Powell was engaged in farming, milling, lumbering, etc. He was very active in town affairs, holding most of the town offices. Fred R. married Laurie, daughter of John T. Owens, by whom he has three children: Earl, Maude, and Blanche, all natives of the town of Floyd. Mr. Powell is interested in educational affairs, and is a member of the Patrons of Industry and United Friends. (p. 170) [Top]

POWELL, J. L., was born in Lanesboro, Mass., in 1780, and moved to Trenton in 1801. He was twice married; first to Nancy Peck by whom he had three children: Melancthon, George and John. His second wife was Margaret Hulburt, by whom he had eleven children: Nancy, Sophia, Hulbert, James, Frederick W., Jane, Joseph P., Helen, Henry W., William and Francis. John L. Powell was engaged in teaching and farming. He was educated at Williams College and took a great interest in educational affairs. William Powell, the youngest son, was born December 7, 1829, and was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Curtis Hinman, by whom he had two children: Fannie Elizabeth and John Curtis. He afterward married Ann Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Miller, an old resident of this town. (p. 40-41) [Top]

POWELL, JOHN N., was born near where he now resides, in Trenton, April 24, 1823, son of Isaac and Lydia (Wood) Powell, who came from Lanesboro, Mass., with a yoke of oxen, and were among the first settlers in the town of Trenton. They had nine children: Laurie, George, Lydia, Lewis, Leman, David, Ruth, John and Esther, all born on the Powell homestead. He was a pioneer farmer, and a member and active worker in the Methodist Episcopal church. John N. married Lucy Elizabeth Fowler, and is interested in town and county affairs. (p. 239) [Top]

PRATT, CHARLES A., was born in Verona, N.Y., in 1849. At the age of twelve he went to live with his uncle, N.J. Blackman, and attended the district schools. The early years of his life were devoted to dairy farming on a large scale and he also did a large lumbering business, together with the manufacture of cider and vinegar in company with his uncle. Mr. Pratt now owns the Summit View Stock Farm, where he makes a specialty of breeding the best strains of trotting horses, Among the best ones he has developed are Repetition 2:14 1/4; Bon Homie, 2:17 1/4; Charley Green, 2:19 1/4, etc. Mr. Pratt has held the position of highway commissioner for six years. May 7, 1874, he married Mary L. Beck, formerly of Herkimer, and they have three sons: Jay H., W. Spencer, and Nahum B. Jay H. Pratt is actively engaged in the horse business with his father. Mr. Pratt's father, William, was born in the town of Westmoreland, November 29, 1823. He married twice, first to Sarah M. Blackman, by whom he had three children: one died in infancy, Charles A., and Herbert W. Mr. William Pratt died January 22, 1891, and his wife died February 19, 1864. Mrs. Charles A. Pratt's father, Jacob Beck, was born in Germany, in March, 1830, and was educated in their schools. He came to the United States when eighteen years of age, first locating in Herkimer county. He married Elizabeth Brandenstein, a native of Germany, by whom he had seven children: Mary L., William, Caroline, Oliver, Julia, Frances, and Elizabeth. The family came to the town of Verona in 1854. The family is of English, Scotch and German descent. (p. 102) [Top]

PRATT, CHARLES T., was born at Clark Mills, N. Y., September 25, 1859, son of Henry and Julia (Carleton) Pratt. He began for himself as a machinist in Clark Mills, and after spending three years there, he was employed as foreman in the Shop of the Utica Cotton Mills at New Hartford, N. Y., for five years; after which he had charge of the Hunter & Babcock Mfg. Co.'s mills at Washington Mills, N. Y., for two years. After spending two years at Albany, he went to Nashville, Tenn., taking charge of the mechanical department of the Lewis & Babcock Mfg. Co., and in 1890 organized the Pratt Chuck Co., of which he is president. Mr. Pratt designed all the fine machinery with which the shops are equipped, and has eleven different patents on drill chucks, as well as many different devices. In 1887 he married Julia Durrenbeck. (p. 359-360) [Top]

PRATT, CHARLES W., a descendant of an old English family, of whom two brothers, John and William, settled in Connecticut, was born in Lewis county, the only son of Cyrus W. Pratt. Cyrus W. Pratt was a tanner by trade, but being a fluent speaker, was more widely known and acknowledged as an orator of the age. He was also an elder and founder of the Presbyterian church of his locality. He married Harriet Coffee, who still survives him, and resides with her son, C. W. Pratt. He first began his successful business career, by dealing in real estate. He entered mercantile life with a general store at Port Leyden; then to Bradford, Pa., where he was a prominent operator in the oil exchange for four years. He also engaged in mining in Colorado and Arizona, but returned in 1885 to Port Leyden and engaged in the lumber business. In 1892 he purchased paper mills at Port Leyden and Fowlersville, which are known as the Gould Paper Co., of which Mr. Pratt is president. He is now erecting a large milt at Lyons Falls, which is one of the finest water powers in the State. In 1886 he married Julia S. Northam, of Port Leyden, by whom he has one son, C. Walter Pratt. (p. 178) [Top]

PRENDERGAST, REV. E. R., was born in Syracuse in 1862, son of Edward R. Prendergast, a jobber of clothing, and prominent as a man of great intellect and ability. He inherited his scholastic attainments and was a graduate of Dublin Academy. Until his death in 1869, he was trustee and treasurer of St. John's Cathedral for three years, and was superintendent of St. John the Baptist church, also promoter and founder of St. John's Cathedral school. He was organizer and captain of the Military Guards, called out to quell the riot at the occasion of the "Jerry Rescue," and from many years he was agent for the old steamship line from Ireland. E. R. Prendergast's boyhood was spent in Syracuse, and in 1873, he entered Manhattan College near New York, where he remained six years; then entered St. Joseph's Seminary at Troy, N. Y., remaining there five years, where his ordination was celebrated in 1884. His first charge was at Whitesboro where he remained till January, 188. He came to Boonville in 1888 and in 1891, the degree of A. M. was conferred from Manhattan College. Father Prendergast is a man of great ability and much esteemed outside his own parish. (p. 43) [Top]

PRESCOTT, D.D., was born in the town of New Hartford in 1856, son of Daniel Morgan Prescott. He is the owner of the farm with which the name of Prescott has been identified over one hundred years, and which descended from father to son for many generations. His great-grandfather came here from Connecticut when his grandfather, Oliver Prescott, was but four years of age. The death of his father, Daniel Morgan Prescott, in 1805, removed from the community a beloved and venerable citizen; he held the offices of assessor and collector, and was a member of the Assembly one term, and also held many important positions about the State Capitol--postmaster, sergeant-at-arms, and librarian. He married Lydia M. Bacon, of Litchfield, Herkimer county, by whom he had five sons and one daughter; and she still survives him at the age of sixty-six. D.D. Prescott, following in the footsteps of his father, is a staunch Republican, but not an office holder. He is identified with the Presbyterian church. In 1880 he married Stella Schooley, of Litchfield, by whom he has four children: Fannie S., Walter D., Arthur A., and Eva E. (p. 338) [Top]

PRESTON, MEDINA, M. D., was born in Sangerfield. He studied medicine with his father, graduating in 1865. He practiced medicine at Sangerfield until 1891, when he moved to Waterville. He is United States pension examiner, and has been overseer of the poor. He has the oldest medical library in Oneida county, which contains some very rare valuable books. His grandfather, Dr. Stephen Preston, was the first physician in Sangerfield, and his father also being a physician, the Preston family has been represented in this town, by a physician for over a century. Dr. Stephen Preston was born in Ashford, Conn., December 29, 1767. He came to Sangerfield in 1790, and died February 28, 1835. He married Clarissa Loomis, who was born in 1772, and died February 24, 1831. Dr. Medina Preston, sr., was born in 1793, and died in 1874, and he married May Gove, who was born May 16, 1805, and died March 21, 1876. The Preston family is one of the oldest in Sangerfield, and has always been prominent in public affairs. James G. Preston, brother of Dr. Preston, is now a resident of Utica, and was supervisor of Sangerfield for fourteen years. Dr. Preston is a notary public and registrar of vital statistics of the corporation of Waterville, and health officer. (p. 69) [Top]

PROCTOR, THOMAS REDFIELD, was born in Proctorsville, Vt., May 25, 1844, his father being a merchant. His great-grandfather was an officer in the Revolutionary war and the founder of the town of Proctorsville. His mother was Saloma Redfield, sister of one of the chief justices of Vermont, Isaac F. Redfield. Some of his ancestors took part in the Boston tea party, and many of them have been prominent in civil and commercial life. Mr. Proctor was educated in Boston, and in 1862 went into the U. S. Navy as paymaster's clerk on the ship Brandywine of the North Atlantic squadron. Later he became admiral's secretary on the Pacific squadron and was aboard the ship Lancaster. He was secretary to Admiral Pierson, saw considerable service in the Rebellion, and took part in the capture of confederates on steamer San Salvadore. He was offered the position of paymaster in the regular navy, but declined, and returning to Vermont he took charge of the manufacturing interests left by his father. He first engaged in the hotel business as proprietor of the Tappanzee House in Nyack, N. Y. December 1, 1869, he came to Utica and purchased Bagg's Hotel and in 1879 became proprietor of the Butterfield House in Utica. In 1875 he became he became proprietor of the Spring House at Richfield Springs, which under him has been very successful. He is a director of the First National Bank of Utica and in January, 1896, became its president; is president of the board of trustees of the House of Good Shepherd, was for several years an officer of the New York Agricultural Association; a director and the first and only vice-president of the Utica Press Company. He is a trustee of the Savings Bank of Utica; a trustee of the Utica Steam Cotton Mills; a trustee of the Soldier's Monument Association, a director of the Utica and Mohawk Street Railroad; he is also a member of the Sons of the Revolution and also a member of the Society of Colonial Wars; he is a member of the G. A. R. and of the Loyal Legion. He is a Knight Templar in the Masonic order. April 9, 1891, he married Miss Maria Watson Williams, of Utica. Their only son died in infancy. (p. 194) [Top]

PUGH, WILLIAM E., was born in the town of Remsen, August 21, 1847, son of Evan Pugh, who was born in Wales in 1804, one of four sons born to Evan Pugh, who came to America in 1813, bringing his family with him, and settled in Remsen on wild timber land, where he cleared a farm and became prosperous. He was a carpenter by trade and lived to be over eighty years of age. Evan Pugh, father of William E., was a carpenter and wagon maker by trade, but later engaged in farming, first purchasing forty acres of land, to which he added until he owned over 200 acres. He was active in politics and held several town offices for eighteen years, and was deacon in the Baptist church for twenty-five years. He married Ann Jones, by whom he had six children: Richard, Sarah, Elizabeth, Hugh, Catherine and William E. He died in 1877, and his wife in January, 1892. William E. was educated in the district schools in Remsen, and when twenty-one years of age began for himself. After his father's death he rented the homestead of the heirs, cared for his mother until her death, and in 1889 bought his present farm of sixty- two acres, on which he carries on a dairy business, and is also interested in the breeding of Holstein cattle and has a fine herd. In 1887 he married Mary J., daughter of Richard and Ellen Hughes, by whom he had three children: Anna, Richard and Sarah. (p. 109-110) [Top]

PUTNAM, CHARLES S., was born in Schoharie county, November 17, 1823, son of Sewell and Rebecca (Shepard) Putnam, who settled in Oneida county about 1825. Their children were Albert, Louisa, Mandy, Sevina, Henry, Elizabeth, Charles S., George, Alfred, and Ann. In early life Mr. Putnam was engaged in harness making and butchering, but the latter part in farming and dealer of live stock. Charles S. Putnam married Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Col. David Hugh, by whom he has eight children: Alfred E., Charles Frederick, Ellsworth, Elmer, Cora M., Mary, Harvey R. and Rebecca. Mr. Putnam left home at sixteen years of age, and started as a cabinetmaker. He has traveled extensively in the West, where he has been interested in mining and farming. In 1872 he returned to Oneida, where he has since lived. He is a member of the Trenton Grange. (p. 216) [Top]

PUTNAM, E.B., was born in Waterville, N.Y., and was educated in the public schools and at Columbia College. He was admitted to the bar January 1, 1882. He now resides in Rochester, where he follows the practice of his profession, but has a summer residence near Waterville. He is a member of Kent Club, of Rochester, the Genesee Valley Club, and other social organizations. In 1882 Mr. Putnam married Grace Williams Tower, daughter of Charlemagne Tower, of Philadelphia, now deceased. Mr. Putnam's father, George Putnam, was one of the leading and most highly respected men of this part of the country. He married Sarah M. Bill, daughter of Dr. Earle Bill, in his day a prominent physician in the northern part of the State. (p. 314) [Top]

PUTNAM, FREDERICK W., was born in Waterville, N.Y., in 1861, son of George and Sarah M. (Bill) Putnam. His mother was a daughter of Dr. Bill, a prominent physician of his day, and the family came from Connecticut. The Putnam family came from Massachusetts, and George Putnam was one of the most highly respected citizens of this place, where he died in 1891. F.W. Putnam received a liberal education in both academy and college, and took charge of the business left by his father. (p. 313) [Top]