QUINLAN, PATRICK F., son of James, was born in County Waterford, Ireland, March 17, 1848, came to America with his parents in 1851, and settled in Utica, where his father died in 1872. At the age of sixteen he began learning the plumber's trade with John Carton, with whom he continued fourteen years, and following this he was with Edward Martin for eight years. In 1885 he formed a partnership with Edward D. Tuigg and William Foley, as Quinlan, Tuigg & Co., and engaged in the general plumbing, steam and hot water heating, and steam and gas-fitting business, which they still continue. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, trustee of the Fireman's Benevolent Association, and chairman of the Board of Plumbing Examiners. In politics he has been an active Democrat, and served four years as alderman of the Fifth ward, four years as police commissioner under Mayors Sherman and Kinney, three years as health commissioner under Mayors Darrow and Goodwin. For fourteen years he was a member of Co. B., Fire Zouaves, N.G.S.N.Y., and for about eight years its first lieutenant. (p. 248) [Top]

QUINN, JOHN, born January 6, 1840, in Boonville, Oneida county, is a son of John Quinn, who was born in Ireland in 1802, came to America in 1833, and settled in Quebec, Canada. About 1838 John, sr., went to Boonville, in 1856 moved to Rome, and in 1861 located in Utica, where he died in 1878. John Quinn, jr., went to Arizona Territory in 1858 and remained there till the war broke out. He then came to Utica and joined the family, and entered the employ of the Gulf Brewery where he remained until 1874. In that year he formed a partnership with John Myres, James O'Toole and Thomas Quinn (his elder brother) and built the Star Brewery on the corner of Mohawk and Jay streets, the firm being J. Myres & Co., which still continues. The capacity of this brewery is about 30,000 barrels a year. In 1888 the same men and six others incorporated the Eagle Brewery Company with a capital of $100,000, and built the present Eagle Brewery on the corner of Jay street and Third avenue. Its capacity is 50,000 barrels per year. Mr. Quinn has been president since the incorporation. He has been a member of the Board of Charities since 1879, and was its president in 1895. He is a member of the Knights of Honor and a member of the C.B.L. May 2, 1864, he married Ann T. Venn, of Utica, who died December 10, 1881. They had nine children of whom four are living: Frederick J., Rebecca H. (Mrs. Thomas Hobbs), Anna and Margaret E. January 10, 1883, he married second, Mrs. Mary A. (Welch) Kelly, and they have nine children, of whom six are living: Bessie, Thomas, John, Agnes, Mary, and Harry. (p. 262-263) [Top]