RACE, CHESTER A., was born in Greene, Chenango county. N.Y., son of George T. Race and Margaret A. Race. His grandfather, Derrick Race, came from Connecticut and settled in Greene, when it was a vast wilderness. Chester A. was educated in Chenango county and settled in Norwich and from there came to Walesville. Mr. Race is a carpenter and builder and also engaged in farming. He married Jane Whiting, by whom he had two children: Jesse, and Georgie. Mrs. Race died in 1872, and he is now married to Ella Brooks, by whom he has four children: Charles, Arthur, Carrie and Bertie. Mr. Race and wife are members of the Baptist church at Walesville, and Mr. Race is a staunch Republican and takes an active interest in the success of his party.(p. 134) [Top]

RAMSDELL, I.J., was born in Madison county, September 2, 1843, but has been a resident of Oneida county since 1852. In 1865 he married Charlotte A. Ellinwood, by whom he has three children: Rev. Julian E. Ramsdell, an Episcopal minister of Cleveland, Ohio; Edna A. Ramsdell, and Mrs. Dr. Doolittle, of Bridgewater, N. Y. Mr. Ramsdell learned the trade of wagonmaker when a young man, and was for many years in partnership with his father-in-law Duras Ellinwood. Since residing in Paris he has been active in politics on the Democratic side, and was appointed postmaster at Paris, December 23, 1894. His parents were Riley and Julia (Jackson) Ramsdell. The Ramsdells originally came from Rhode Island to Saratoga county, thence to Madison county; and then to Oneida county. (p. 162-163) [Top]

RAWNSLEY, WILLIAM settled in the town of Lee, Oneida county, in 1838, where he came from Woonsocket. R. I., with his father, William Rawnsley, who was a native of Bradford, England, and came to the United States when William, jr., was only a few years of age. After a residence of a few years at Woonsocket, they came to the town of Lee. Mr. Rawnsley was a cotton weaver by trade, engaging in that occupation in England and also at Woonsocket. After settling in Lee, he bought a farm and devoted the rest of his life to that industry. He died March 11, 1861, being eighty-one years of age. His wife, Mercy (Hodgson) Rawnsley, was also a native of Bradford, England, and died in Lee, one year before her husband. received his education in Woonsocket, R. I., and was first employed in a cotton factory. After a few years at this service, he settled down to farm life with his father; continued but a short time, however, when he moved to Trenton, N. J., and spent three years as salesman for a book concern. In 1848 he returned to Lee and bought a farm, upon which he lived one year, when he went to the town of Ava; then to West Branch, where he spent some time as cleric in a store; after this he returned again to Lee and purchased another farm, where he resided for fifteen years. In 1882 he settled at Oriskany falls, where he has resided since. He first married Deborah Peacock, of English birth, who died in 1853; after which he married Caroline Sexton, of Lee, and she died January 17, 1882. The children were: Elizabeth, born in 1846, and now married to Eri Sherman, of Boonville; Henry, born at Ava in 1850, and is now living at Oriskany Falls; William, born in 1852, also living at Oriskany Falls, and Horace, born in 1854, a farmer at West Branch, Oneida county. (p. 284) [Top]

RAYHILL, JAMES W., son of Patrick, was born in Albany, N. Y., April 17, 1847, came with his parents to Litchfield, Herkimer county, in 1857, and spent his youth on the farm and in attending the public schools, West Winfield Seminary, and Utica Academy. During his academic studies he taught school and read law with Lewis H. Babcock of Utica. He completed his legal education with D. C. Pomeroy & Son and at Hamilton College, and was admitted to the bar at Utica in June, 1875. He then formed a copartnership with John D. Griffith, which continued for three years, and since then he has practiced alone, having in recent years the charge of considerable criminal business. He is a member of Imperial Council, No. 70, R. A. In May, 1875, He married Addie M., daughter of Alanson Pattengill, of West Winfield, N. Y., and they have one son living, John Wayland Rayhill. (p. 163) [Top]

REED, DR. DAVID H., was born in the town of Remsen, son of Ebenezer Reed, who was born in Remsen in 1820, one of four sons and six daughters born to Henry Reed, who was a native of Wales, one of ten sons born to John Reed, a Scotchman, who was forty-six years of age when he was married, his wife being but one year younger. They reared ten sons, and he died at 100 years of age, his wife dying the same day, aged ninety-nine years. Henry Reed, the grandfather of our subject, was a graduate from Cambridge College, and came to Remsen in 1808, where he engaged in surveying. In later life he engaged in farming in Remsen, and died when eighty-four years of age. Ebenezer Reed, father of David H., was a stonecutter in early life, but later engaged in farming. In 1888 he retired to the village of Remsen, where he now resides. He married Martha Jones, who was born in Wales, daughter of David Jones, by whom he had seven children, three of whom grew to maturity. David H. Reed received his early education in the common schools of Remsen and Holland Patent, and in 1882 was graduated from the medical department of the University of Buffalo. He began practicing the same year with Dr. Crane, of Holland Patent, and later in the same year he established himself in Remsen village, where he has since resided, enjoying a wide and lucrative practice. In 1894 he added to his business a drug store, and is physician and surgeon for the Adirondack & St. Lawrence Railroad Company. In 1886 he married Nellie L., daughter of Lewis Francis, of Remsen, by whom he had one child, Francis. (p. 183-184) [Top]

REED, MRS. LAURA D.--The late William Reed was born in Lowell, Mass., in 1825, and died July 31, 1866. He was educated in the common schools, and was a farmer by occupation. In 1864 he enlisted in the 2d Artillery, N.Y. Vols., and was honorably discharged on account of sickness in 1865. In 1847 he married Laura D. Smith, of the town of Lenox, Madison county, by whom he had two children: Elmer and Flora L. Elmer married Kate Williams, of Wampsville, and they have three children: Ellis, Florence and Raymond. Flora L. married Victor Eddy, and they had two children: Stewart, who died in infancy; and Glenny C., who married Albert Burton; they have one daughter, Vera M. Mr. Eddy was born in Madison county in 1849. He was educated in the common schools, and has always been a farmer. His father, George W., was born in Cazenovia about 1814, and was a blacksmith and farmer. He married Louisa Benjamin, and they had seven children. (p. 331) [Top]

REED, JOHN J., was born in Marcy, N. Y., January 11, 1840, son of John and Sarah (West) Reed, natives of Rensselaer county. John Reed came to Marcy over seventy years ago, and was in the War of 1812. He died at the age of seventy-one, while Mrs. Reed lived to be ninety-four. John J. Reed spent a great deal of his early life in Brooklyn, N. Y., and has been in Waterville for twenty-seven years, during which time he has been engaged in the liquor business. (p. 68-69) [Top]

REED, LEONARD R., was born at Turin, Lewis county, N.Y., November 26, 1832, son of Joseph M. Redd, who was born at Chester, Vt., February 5, 1802, of English ancestry, and settled at Turin in 1825. Besides being a farmer, he was an expert mason, and carried on this trade with his farm work. He was prominent in both political and religious circles, and captain of a company in the militia. He has been an active worker and a deacon in the Baptist church for nearly forty years. After his residence in Turin he came to Martinsburg, thence to Leyden, and thence to Boonville in 1864, purchasing a farm of Albert E. Jackson, one mile north of Boonville village. He married Lois Marsh Seymour, who was born at Hartford, Conn., January 14, 1805, by whom he had eight children. He departed this life July 19, 1881. Leonard R. Reed completed his academic education at Lowville, and March 3, 1858, he married Sarah E. Goodrich of Martinsburg, Lewis county, by whom he had one daughter, Ella A., who married Elroy C. Hall, a Leyden farmer; she died at twenty-seven years of age, leaving a son, Clifton Reed Hall, who now resides with his grandparents. Mr. Reed and wife are members of the Presbyterian church and highly respected citizens. (p. 66) [Top]

REEDER, WILLAM S., was born in Kirkland, December 27, 1852, son of Simon and Elizabeth Reeder. Simon Reeder was born in England, and came to the United States in 1832. He assisted in a stone grist and flouring mill at Oriskany, whence he moved to Constableville. He then moved to Durhamville, then to Kirkland, then to Deansville, then to Vernon Center, from which place he came to Clark Mills, where he and his son William bought the property now owned by William S. at Colmans, and at all these places he conducted flour and grist mills. He died September 25, 1881. From the death of his father, Simon, till three years ago William S. was in partnership with his brother, Henry C., whom he bought out in 1892. William S. Reeder was educated at the common schools and Vernon Academy, after which he went to Oriskany Falls and conducted a mill for two years. He then went to Tonawanda, and from there to Clark Mills, and in connection with his father he bought the property now known as Reeder's Mills, which he has owned and conducted for twenty-two years. In addition to the mill he conducts a general store, where he carries a large stock of merchandise. Mr. Reeder is a Republican, and takes an active interest in the success of his party. He is postmaster and has represented his town in the Board of Supervisors. He married Miss M. J. Tarbox, of Clark Mills, by whom he has three children: Edna Lorine, married to Charles L. Langdon, of Clark Mills; Edgar B., and Mamie L. Mr. Reeder and family are members of St. Peter's church at Oriskany, which his father assisted to build, and where Mr. Reeder has been vestryman for twelve years. (p. 190-191) [Top]

REES, JOHN D., was born in Pembrockshire, Wales, March 23, 1845, a son of David and Martha (Evans) Rees, who came to America in 1852 and located in Westernville, where the father, who was a blacksmith by trade, embarked in business for himself, in which he continued until his death, which occurred December 31, 1894, aged eighty-four years. He was the father of six children: Thomas, who died in the service of the Union in the late civil war; Edward; John D.; Sarah (Mrs. Dr. Johnson Pillmore); William, and Margaret. John D. was reared in Western from seven years of age. He received a common school education, began life as a farm laborer, later engaged in railroading, and for twenty-five years has been engaged in locomotive engineering, blacksmithing, and as a machinist. Politically Mr. Rees is a staunch Republican. (p. 167-168) [Top]

REES, THOMAS R., was born in Westernville, Oneida county, August 18, 1856, a son of William and Ann (Jenkins) Rees, natives of Wales, and is of Welch and Scotch extraction. His parents came to America about 1854, and settled in Westernville, where his father, who was a blacksmith by trade, followed that vocation up to his death, which occurred May 24, 1894. His children were Thomas R., William Warren (deceased) and Sarah J. Thomas R. was reared in Westernville, educated in the common schools and Cazenovia Seminary, and began life as a teacher, which he followed two years, after which he served as clerk in a general store for four years. In 1881, with C. P. Remove, he purchased the Westernville Union Store, which was conducted under the firm name of Rees & Remove up to 1888, when he purchased his partner's interest and has since conducted the business alone. In 1885, he married Ida A., daughter of John D. and Lucy Sloat, of Canastota, N. Y., by whom he has one daughter, Vera M. Mr. Rees is a supporter of the Presbyterian church, has always taken an active part in politics, and is a staunch Republican. (p. 25-26) [Top]

REESE, O. W., was born in Herkimer county, N. Y., February 1, 1835, son of Moses and Phoebe (Lewis) Reese. Moses Reese was born in Frankfort, Herkimer county, where he was engaged in farming and building, during his lifetime. He died in Rome, 1880, in his seventy-eighth year. Mrs. Reese, his wife, died in the fall of 1884 in her seventy-fourth year. O. W. Reese was educated in Utica, then went to Schuyler, and from there settled in Westmoreland in the spring of 1860. He married Sarah Parks of Herkimer county, by whom he has seven children: Cora A., Mildred E., Georgiana, Willie O., James L., Clarence E., and Lottie Reese. Mildred E. is married and lives in Redfield, Oswego county. Mr. Reese and family are members of the Baptist church of Westmoreland. (p. 291) [Top]

REILLY, REV. THOMAS W., was born in Plattsburg, N.Y., January 29, 1844, son of Thomas and Catherine (Gibney) Reilly. Thomas W. was educated in the public schools, then in the University of Ottawa, after which he entered the Provincial Seminary at Troy, N.Y., in 1865, where he was ordained to the priesthood June 6, 1868. His first appointment was as assistant to St. Mary's church at Albany, where he remained one year, when he was given charge of Delaware and Schoharie counties, and also a part of Greene county. These missions consisted of a few people scattered here and there, but the father organized them, and formed a parish in Cobleskill, where he built St. Paul's church. He established another parish and erected the Church of the Sacred Heart at Stamford, and this was the first church in all the great original diocese of Albany that was dedicated to the Sacred Heart. He then established another parish and church in the village of Hunter in the Catskill Mountains. Father Reilly continued in this work until 1874, and left in these missions, where he began without anything, over $20,000 of property. He then went to Waterville where he assumed charge of St. Bernard's church and St. Joseph's in Oriskany Falls. Father Reilly rebuilt the church which he found in a poor condition, graded the cemetery, and established St. Bernard's School, which he maintained for three years at his own expense. He resigned and was appointed to St. John's church of Syracuse, the present cathedral of the new Catholic Diocese of Syracuse, where he assisted the Rev. Joseph Gurdet, who was advanced in years, and unable to continue the active duties of pastor, where he remained twelve years, and in February, 1890, he was appointed to St. Paul's church in Whitesboro, St. John's in New Hartford, and St. Leo's in Holland Patent; and he has also purchased land for a church in Oriskany, and is organizing a new parish at Gang Mills. During his present pastorate he has built a fine parsonage in Whitesboro, and also made other improvements. (p. 324-325) [Top]

REMMER, CAPTAIN JOSEPH H., born August 23, 1850, in Utica, is a son of Michael Remmer, who came here from Alsace-Loraine, Germany, about 1840, and died in 1866. Michael was a contractor and builder and aided in the construction of many dwellings and other buildings, and was assessor of the old Sixth ward for four years until his death. Captain Remmer first engaged in the grocery business in 1875 and continued about three years, when he sold out. Later he was traveling salesman for George Young, baker, for about twelve years, and still later, he engaged in the meat business for twelve years. In March, 1892, he formed a partnership with John Cox, as Cox & Remmer, and purchased the old C. Weiss & Co. furniture establishment on the corner of Fayette and State streets where they have since continued successfully as wholesale and retail furniture dealers. Captain Remmer joined the 26th Regiment N. G. S. N. Y., September 3, 1868, and has ever since been a prominent figure in local militia circles. He was successively made corporal, sergeant, and on March 10, 1873, captain of Co. C., of the 26th Regiment, which was mustered out in 1881, the 28th Separate Company being retained, and formed by the members of the old body of this company; at its organization he was elected captain, a post he has ever since filled with conspicuous ability. He temporarily commanded a regiment of separate companies at the Washington Centennial Celebration in New York city, April 30, 1899, and commanded troops during the Buffalo railroad riots in 1892. He has also been appointed to command at several State encampments, acting in the capacity of major. In 1894 he was awarded a valuable gold medal by the State of New York for long and meritorious service in the militia. He is a member of the Knights of Honor and the Royal Arcanum, and a member of St. Patrick's Roman Catholic church and one of the prime movers in building its new edifice in 1895. He has always taken an active interest in public affairs, is a prominent Democrat in politics and has been a delegate to various conventions. October 28, 1875, he married Margaret M., daughter of Thomas Nichols, of St. Louis Missouri, and of their five children two are living: Harry T. and Marguerite. (p. 295) [Top]

REMMER, LOUIS, son of Michael, was born September 18, 1861, in Utica, and received a common school education. At the age of eighteen he learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed until 1893. He then formed a partnership with John F. Harvey, as Remner [sic] & Harvey, and engaged in manufacturing cigars in Varick street, where he still continues the business successfully. He has been a member of the 28th Separate Company, N.G.N.Y., since 1889. In August, 1895, he married Almira B. French, eldest daughter of Daniel W. French, of New Hartford, Oneida county. (p. 347) [Top]

REMMER, WILLIAM M., son of Michael, was born in Utica December 5, 1865, was educated in the public and advanced schools and academy of his native city, and was graduated from the Utica Business College in 1885. He was then a clerk in a shoe store until February, 1887, when he became armorer of the 28th and 44th Separate Cos., N.G.N.Y., which position he still holds, and he is also first sergeant of the 28th Separate Co. In 1889 he married Mary E. McCarthy, of Greenbush, N.Y., and they have two children, William Joseph and Clarence Edward. (p. 347) [Top]

RESSEGUE, JAMES M., was born on the homestead May 8, 1838, and was educated in the common schools. He was a resident of Buffalo twenty-two years, and was captain and part owner of steam tug boats, but is now a farmer in the town of Verona. December 5, 1865, he married Frances C. Eads, of Buffalo, and they had these children: Florence, who married Forrest Wilson, of the town of Westmoreland; Harley H., who is a paper hanger by occupation, and is also a fine elocutionist; and Lyle M., a student at school. Mr. Ressegue's father, James, was born in 1813, and was educated in the schools of his days. He married Lydia Leet, of Verona, N.Y., by whom he had these children: Maria, Harley, Emily, Caroline, Henry, Mary, Eliza, Ellen and James M., as above. Mr. Ressegue died in 1851, and his wife in 1864. Mrs. Ressegue's father, Hiram B. Eads, was born in Oneida County, in 1806. He was educated in the schools of his day, and was a farmer by occupation. He married Desire Williams, of his native county, by whom he had nine children: Sarah A., Polly, Nancy, Frances C., Fannie, Abigail, William B., Alonzo B., and Benjamin F., Mr. Eads died in 1854, and his wife in 1889. R. Ressegue is a member of the Royal Arcanum, No. 150, of Rome, N.Y. Mr. Ressegue's grandfather, David Williams, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. The ancestry of the family is French and Welsh. (p. 329) [Top]

REUSSWIG, GEORGE A., born in Utica, November 10, 1867, is a son of Ernest H. Reusswig, who came to this city from Germany in 1859 and died here in February, 1895. Ernest H. was a merchant tailor in Utica for thirty years, being for seventeen years a member of the firm of Belts & Reusswig, and eleven of Westcott & Reusswig. He was a Scottish Rite Mason, one of the originators of the Germania Industrial Association, and at the time of his death the oldest merchant tailor in Utica. George A. Reusswig, after leaving the public schools, learned the tailor's trade with his father, and for eight years followed it in Buffalo. In September, 1894, he returned to Utica to take charge of his father's business, and upon the latter's death became his successor. He is a member of the Maennechor and the Germania Industrial Association. (p. 347) [Top]

RHODES, A. J., was born in Paris, N. Y., March 6, 1845, son of Samuel B. and Elizabeth (Davis) Rhodes. He lived on a farm until seventeen years of age, when he went into the office of S. A. Millard and remained two years. He then engaged in railroading, which he has followed successfully. In 1868 he was appointed agent at Clayville, and has filled that office for twenty-seven years. He has also been in the coal business since 1868, and sold the first coal brought by railroad in Clayville. He is at present president of the village, and was supervisor of the town in 1879-80-81 and has also filled other offices. In 1869 he married Susan Brown, by whom he has three children: Fred A., Blanche, and Clara V. (p. 239) [Top]

RICE, CHARLES F., was born in Paris in 1835, son of E. D. and Sally A. (Chapman) Rice, of Eastern birth, who settled on a farm in Paris at an early age. They had four children, three of them are now living. After the completion of his education at the Albany Normal School, he engaged in teaching for several years in local schools and with good success. In 1856 he entered the employ of S. A. Millard at Clayville as shippping clerk, and in 1863 he engaged in the lumber business, renting a mill on Black River, and in 1867 purchased of J. M. Fiske the present business, manufacturing of sash, blinds, doors, mouldings, and a general lumber business, which he has built up into a very important industry, now employing eight people. He married Sarah A. Lee, who died July 29, 1885. Her son Charles died when six months old and before his mother; he died July 28, 1872. In 1887 he married for his second wife Eliza Reynolds, by whom he has one son, Henry H. Rice, who was born in 1891. Mr. Rice has been a member of the Board of Education six years, and has been president of the board of trustees, and is much esteemed as a citizen. (p. 40) [Top]

RICE, GEORGE W., is a native of Paris, N.Y., where he was born in 1843, son of Edward Dana, and Sally A. (Chapman) Rice. His father came from Hartford, Conn., when eleven years old, leaving a tyrannical master to whom he had been bound out to acquire a trade. Here he engaged in farming and became a successful farmer, identified with every interest of the town; and his death in 1892, at the age of eighty-two years, was mourned as a personal loss by the community. He left three sons: Charles F. Rice, of Boonville; John C., a farmer of Florence; and George W.; and he also had one daughter, Harriet M., who died at the age of nineteen years. George W. Rice first engaged in building, after which he was associated with his brother in the planing mill business in Boonville for ten years. He also spent two years in Utica as a lumber inspector, and was a builder for ten years. He purchased the coal yards of F.C. Ogden in 1885. He has been called to various positions in the Presbyterian church, and was made deacon in 1891. He was one of the board of trustees of the village for six years, and has been president of the Utica Coal Exchange since 1894. In 1870 Mr. Rice married Lydia M., daughter of Lorenzo D. Pearce, of this place. (p. 138) [Top]

RICHARDS, EDWARD , was born in Deerfield, N. Y., April 2, 1836, son of Richard D. and Mary (Jones) Richards, natives of Wales. David Richards came from Wales to Deerfield about 1820, where he engaged in farming, and here lived and died. About one year later Richard D. Richards came to Deerfield and built a saw mill in partnership with a John Davis; they continued in partnership until said Davis's death which was caused by the falling of a tree which struck him. Then Richard D. Richards rebuilt the mill and continued in the business till his death. He was a Whig, and was for several years assessor of the town. He died in 1854 and his wife in 1888. Edward Richards was reared on the farm, and has always been engaged in farming, excepting three years at the carpenter trade. He has a farm of 128 acres, and keeps about seventeen cows. In 1892 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Even and Ann (Roberts) Jones, natives of Wales. Mrs. Jones's father, Even Roberts, was about the first settler at Turin, Lewis county. He first bought land at Whitesboro, whence he removed to Turin, and engaged in farming, milling and mercantile business, being an active, energetic man. Mr. Jones's father, Jacob Jones, died in Wales. Mr. Jones was a miller at Turin, but spent his last days in Pennsylvania. (p. 95)[Top]

RINKLE, DAVID, was born in the town of Steuben, N. Y., May 9, 1826, son of Lawrence Rinkle, who was born in the town of Schuyler, N. Y., December 11, 1777, the only son of Lawrence Rinkle, sr. His grandfather, Lawrence Rinkle, was a native of Alsace, Germany, and was engaged in farming. He came to America before the Revolutionary war, and joined the army under General Herkimer, and was killed in the battle of Oriskany, August 11, 1777. Two years later the mother, while in search of a calf in the woods, with two neighbors, was fired upon by Indians; her companions were killed and she taken prisoner, and transferred to the Genesee country on foot. She was held prisoner for three years until the close of the war, when she was escorted to her home, where she had been mourned as dead. Lawrence jr., was born after his father was killed, and in early life learned the blacksmith trade, and later engaged in farming. In 1826, he came to Oneida county, where he became prosperous and owned considerable property. In politics he was a staunch Democrat, and was a great reader of German and English literature. His first wife, Catherine Yuker, by whom he had eight children, and his second wife was Catherine Lints, and they have two children: Jacob and David. He lived to be ninety-three years of age. David Rinkle was educated in the district school, and spent his life on his present farm of 140 acres in Boonville, where he moved in1849. In 1849, he married Eliza, daughter of Henry and Miriam (Denslow) Shott, by whom he has two children: Rowena, wife of George Farley of Forestport; and Dr. LaFayette Rinkle of Boonville. (p. 25) [Top]

RISLEY, EDWIN HILLS, was born in the town of Madison, Madison county, N.Y., February 5, 1842, and is a son of Chauncey and Sophia (Brewer) Risley, and a descendant of Richard Risley, who emigrated from England to the Plymouth Colony in 1630, settled in Newton, and in 1635 went to Hartford, Conn., with the Hooker party. Mr. Risley's education was limited to the country schools of those times supplemented with an academic course of about two years. He taught school in the year 1860, and in March, 1861, he enlisted as a private in the 117th New York State Volunteers and was mustered as first lieutenant of C. D. on August 13, 1862. He served with the regiment and on detached service for one year. In September, 1863, he entered Albany Law School and was admitted to practice at Watertown, N.Y., at the October term, 1863. He began the practice of law in Sherburne, Chenango county, N.Y., in the early summer of 1864. While in the Albany Law School he was appointed captain of cavalry in the battalion being raised by Colonel Newberry, of Chicago, and was mustered out of the service on the consolidation of the battalion with other troops. He was appointed captain in the 103d N.Y. State Militia and served with that regiment till it was disbanded. In the fall of 1865 he removed from Sherburne to Hamilton N.Y., and continued the practice of law in that village until April, 1869, when he settled in Utica, where he has since resided. Mr. Risley has had an extensive practice in the trial courts and in the appellate courts of the State and is considered successful as a lawyer. During the past ten years his practice has been almost exclusively in Federal courts, involving patent litigations. In 1884 he spent one year in a large machine shop to perfect his knowledge of mechanical appliances. In 1890 he organized and promoted the National Harrow Company, which controls the entire spring tooth harrow manufacture of the United States, and is at the present time president of the company. In 1892 he promoted and organized the Standard Harrow Company with a view of consolidating into one manufacture all of the spring-tooth harrow business in the United States. He obtained options on all the business, but owing to the financial panic of 1893 only partially carried out the project. AT the present time he is one of the managing directors of the Standard Harrow Company, having a large and successful manufactory in Utica. He promoted and organized the Savage Repeating Arms Company, who manufacture hammerless, smokeless-powder sporting rifles, being in this department the pioneer in the world. At present he is treasurer of the company. He organized and was director in the D.B. SMith Company, whose business was absorbed by the Standard Harrow Company. Mr. Risley is president of the New Forest Association of Utica, and for a number of years was a director in the Westmoreland Malleable Iron Company. He possesses first-class mechanical ability, good business judgment, and is interested in all the public enterprises for the benefit of the city. He is a Republican, but a relentless foe of corruption and bossism in politics. He joined the Baptist church in 1865 and has been an active and influential member of that denomination ever since. (p. 373) [Top]

RISLEY, JOHN R., was born in the town of Marshall, Oneida county, June 4, 1856, son of Herman G. Risley, who was engaged in farming in Oneida county until 1866, when he moved to Jefferson county, and is now a resident of Ellisburg, that county. He was a soldier in the army from 1862 till the close of the war. He married Juliette Vanswall, who was born in the town of Marshall, August 3, 1840, and died July 7, 1862. John R. attended the Deanville Academy, after which he engaged as clerk with Hatheway & Reynolds, merchants at Oriskany Falls, for one year. After this he conducted the Vanswall farm near Oriskany Falls until 1887, at which time he moved to Vernon Center and bought the farm upon which he now resides. January 28, 1887, he married Estella S., daughter of George W. and Harriet E. Klock, who was born in Oneida, March 10, 1860, by whom he has one son, Lawrence G. Mrs. Risley received her education at the Onondaga Valley Academy, and the Oneida public schools. (p. 274-275) [Top]

RISLEY, ORVILLE, was born at Hamilton, N.Y., in 1850, son of Chauncey Risley, who came with his own team to Madison county, from Glastonbury, Conn., in 1833. He is a representative of one of the families to whom the town of New Hartford is indebted for its name; they having emigrated from Hartford, Conn., where Richard Risley settled with its founder, Thomas Hooker, in 1635, after having escaped the religious persecutions in England. Chauncey Risley died in 1894, at the age of seventy-nine years, leaving a widow, who is still living at eighty years of age, having brought up twelve children, of whom eight are now living, the youngest being forty years of age. Orville Risley was educated in Hamilton, and came to this town at seventeen years of age, and engaged in farming, and for sixteen years has been engaged in an extensive creamery business with his brother Fremont A. Risley, located at New York Mills. In 1873 he married Ada Perkins, of Chenango county, by whom he had four children: Fenimore C., an art student in New York; Walter C.; Floyd F.; and Lena. (p. 337) [Top]

RITCHIE, THOMAS, was born in Scotland, September 15, 1819, son of Rev. Daniel and Margaret Ritchie, who settled in Oneida county in 1829, and whose children were Daniel, James, Charles, Thomas, Isabelle, Margaret, Harriet and Jane. The Rev. Daniel Ritchie was a carpet manufacturer by trade, and which he followed for the greater part of his life. His preaching he did without reward. He was an honest, industrious man, and interested in all things for the good of his fellowmen. His sons, Daniel, James, and Charles, were engaged in business in the Southern and Western States, where they reside. Thomas Ritchie married Mehitable, daughter of William and Lois Hill, who settled in Marcy in 1811, by whom he has two sons: Ward T. and Franklin W. (p. 49) [Top]

ROBBINS, ALBERT W., was born in the town of Augusta, near the village of Knoxboro. His father, Lorenzo Robbins, came to Augusta with his parents in 1813, when he was but two and a half years of age. He was one of a family of nine children; they were natives of Berkshire county, Mass., where he was born September 6, 1811. In 1840 he married Clarissa E. Guthrie, of Stockbridge, N.Y., who died in 1849. Albert W. Robbins is one of two children, and acquired his education at the Augusta Academy, Mansfield Seminary, Pennsylvania, and the Oneida Seminary. In 1861-2 he taught school, but the Civil war having broken out, he enlisted in the 117th N.Y. Vols., Co. G, and remained three years in the service, receiving in the Drury Bluff battle a severe wound for which he now draws a small pension. After his discharge from the army he returned to Augusta and resumed his farm life, which he still continues. He married for his first wife, Eliza Bishop, of Cleveland, Ohio, who died May 23, 1890, leaving one son, Edwin, now a student in Hamilton College. His present wife is Sarah Dudley of Augusta, who was educated at the Augusta Academy, and also the training school for teachers, at Quincy Mass. (p. 146) [Top]

ROBBINS, GEORGE B., was born on the farm where he now resides, July 10, 1830, son of Royal and Sarah (Dodd) Robbins. Royal was a son of Elisha, who settled in Marcy about 1810. George B. Robbins was one of four children: George B., Mary Elizabeth Nolton, Evaline, and Charles. George B. married Mary Nolton, a daughter of Daniel Nolton, by whom he has four children: Caroline Johnson; Ida E., a teacher in the teachers' college of New York city, and also a graduate of the Oswego Normal School; Marion E., and Mabel C.; also one deceased, Jennie C., wife of Dr. William Jones of Portland, Oregon, and she was a graduate of the Oswego Normal School, and taught four years in the public schools of Burlington, Vt. Mr. Robbins is public spirited, and especially interested in educational affairs. He was elected supervisor of the town of Marcy in 1873. (p. 170) [Top]

ROBERTS, DANIEL J., was born in the town of Trenton, Oneida Co., A.D. 1833, July 8, being the youngest child of the late John J. and Mary Roberts, who came from North Wales and settled in Oneida county in 1819. Their children were Owen J., Mary, Ann, Jeanette, Jane, and Daniel J., the subject of this sketch. Mr. Roberts learned the trade of carpenter and joiner and became a contractor at the age of twenty-three and followed the trade many years. After a tour of two years to the Pacific Coast he returned and married Laura, daughter of the late William W., and Mary Prichard of the town of Remsen, Oneida county, by whom he has two daughters, Mary E., and Margaret M. In politics he is a Republican, and has served his town as highway commissioner eight terms. He is now living at Hinckley, N. Y. (p. 23) [Top]

ROBERTS, MRS. EMMA J. is the widow of the late Hon. R.H. Roberts, who died in 1888, aged fifty-one years. He was born in Wales in 1837, and came to America when two years of age. In 1870 he married Emma J., daughter of Spencer Pitcher, of Boonville, by whom he had three children: Anna Lena; Robert H., a law student in the office of Hon. H.W. Bentley; and Emma J., who died in 1874. In 1865, Mr. Roberts engaged in building oil tanks in the Pennsylvania oil regions, but afterward retailed wagons, cutters, etc. He was elected supervisor in 1874 and 1875, and was sent to the Assembly in 1877. In 1883 he represented Oneida county in the State Senate. Latterly his allegiance was given to the Democratic party. (p. 105) [Top]

ROBERTS, HENRY W., was born in the town of Deerfield, Oneida county, December 1, 1858, son of Ellis R. Roberts, who was also born in that town, where he was for a number of years in the mercantile business. His grandfather was born in Wales, and came to the United States in 1818, where he first settled in Utica. Ellis R. Roberts married Anna Johns, who was born in the town of Trenton, N. Y., by whom he had two children. Henry W. Roberts was a graduate of Clinton Grammar School in 1878, and has been engaged in the mercantile business most of his life. He was for six years clerk in the store of Comstock Brothers, of Utica, and has been in business for himself in Clinton for seven years. He married Anna Clark, of this town, by whom he has one daughter, Gertrude. Mr. Roberts was town clerk for three years, and at present is a member of the Board of Education, serving his second term, and he is also one of the county committee. (p. 296) [Top]

ROBERTS, JOHN C., managing editor of Y Drych (The Mirror), the leading Welsh paper of the country, was born in Llysfaen, North Wales, June 7, 1840. In 1866 he came from Denbigh, North Wales, to America, and after two and one-half years spent mostly in New York city settled permanently in Utica, where he has ever since (March, 1869) held the position of managing editor of Y Drych. (p. 144) [Top]

ROBERTS, R. WILSON, was born in the town of Augusta, N. Y., August 8, 1840, and came to Waterville with his parents in 1841. He is a son of Thomas and Irene (York) Roberts. Thomas Roberts was a native of Wales. He was twice married; his first wife dying in 1845. He died in 1882, and his second wife, Sarah Jones Roberts, in 1878. R. Wilson Roberts is engaged in milling and farming, in which he is successful. In politics he is a Democrat, and stands high in his party, which has offered him nominations for assemblyman and senator, besides electing him supervisor of Marshall in 1868, 1874, 1875 and 1876. He was also trustee of the village of Waterville in 1875. (p. 69) [Top]

ROBERTS, THOMAS D., was born in the town of Deerfield, August 24, 1825, son of David M. and Eleanor Roberts, who came to Deerfield in 1820. He was one of five children: David E., Thomas D., Robert M., John B., and Mary. His father, David M., helped to build the Erie Canal and after his settlement in Deerfield followed farming, and was active in religious work. Thomas D. Roberts married Anne H., daughter of David Isaacs, of Utica. He was engaged in cheese-making for twenty-one years, after which he engaged in farming. He was elected supervisor of the town of Floyd in 1873-4-7, and to the assembly in 1880-1. He is president of the Farmers' Insurance Company of Westernville, and director of the Farmers' National Bank of Rome, also vice-president of the Oneida County Savings Bank. (p. 25) [Top]

ROBINSON, HENRY, was born in Bridgewater, N. Y., January 2, 1840, son of Henry L. and Mary A. (Maxson) Robinson. At sixteen years of age he engaged as clerk, and followed that occupation for four years, at which time the war broke out, and he enlisted in Co. A, 4th Mich. Infantry, and participated in all the engagements of the regiment, including Bull Run, the battles of the Peninsular Campaign, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Antietam, and Gettysburg, where he was wounded the second day's battle. He was then in the hospital for nine months, after which he rejoined his regiment, and served out his three years time. In 1866 he married Sarah A. Brockway, by whom he has two children: Mrs. Burton Bryant of Buffalo, N. Y., and Lynn Robinson. Mrs. Robinson's family came from Connecticut, and her father settled on the land where the Robinsons now live; and their residence and farm known as Maple Dell, is one of the prettiest places in Oneida county. Mr. Robinson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and G. A. R. He was postmaster under President Johnson, and has been town clerk, and also supervisor of Bridgewater. (p. 276-277) [Top]

ROGERS, J. FRANK, one of the most energetic practitioners at the Utica bar, was sworn in as an attorney and counselor at law at Buffalo, N.Y., in June, 1881, and the December following opened an office in the city of Utica, where he has since practiced his profession, early acquiring a large clientage. He is a studious and a painstaking counselor, a keen examiner of witnesses in the trial of a cause, and a forceful speaker to court and jury. Mr. Rogers was born in Ripley, Somerset county, Maine, June 20, 1846, son of John S. and Elizabeth (Grant) Rogers. He obtained his education at the High School in Springfield, Mass., and afterward learned the watchmaker and jeweler's trade and worked at it steadily for eleven years, being employed during that period at the Howard Watch Factory at Boston, by the American Watch Company at Waltham, Mass., and the Hampden Watch Company at Springfield, Mass. In 1869 he removed to Ilion, N.Y., where he was employed by O.B. Rudd. In 1875 he was elected justice of the peace, which office he held for four years, and has been attorney for the Excise Board of Utica for three years. August 23, 1871, Mr. Rogers married Anna M., daughter of P.A. Skiff, of Frankfort, Herkimer county. She died August 25, 1895. (p. 352-353) [Top]

ROGERS, J. W., was born in Boonville in 1836, son of Josiah Rogers, who was also born in Boonville, in 1797, and who spent is whole life in this vicinity. His name is a synonym for unswerving honesty of purpose, reliance and substantial worth. His father, Jacob Rogers, being one of the first comers here from Massachusetts, was the central figure in the development of all its resources. Jacob Rogers was elected the first supervisor of the town of Boonville in 1805. Josiah Rogers married Achsah Pitcher, daughter of Daniel Pitcher, by whom he nine children. He died in 1864, aged sixty-seven years. In 1872, J. W. Rogers married Ellen Grant, daughter of Nelson C. Grant of Boonville, by whom he had two children: Edgar aged twenty, and Grace, aged seventeen. Mr. Rogers was a Republican, but is now a prominent Prohibitionist and an earnest advocate of the temperance cause. His family are members of the Baptist church, of which he has been a deacon for twenty-five years, and an active worker in all movements for the uplifting of society. (p. 20) [Top]

ROGERS, STEPHEN, was born in Western, March 12, 1836, son of James and Eve (Frank) Rogers, natives of Montgomery county, N. Y., who settled in Western about 1830, and engaged in farming, where they resided until their death. Their children were Angelina (Mrs. Alfred Waldo), Andrew, Harriet, John J., Louisa, Stephen, and George. His paternal grandfather, Francis Rogers, also a native of Montgomery county, N. Y., was an early settler of Western, and a farmer by occupation. Stephen Rogers was reared and educated in Western, where he has always resided, and is a farmer by occupation. He is a member of the M. E. church, and politically is an advocate of prohibition. (p. 25) [Top]

RONSPEES, HERMAN, was born near Berlin, Germany, November 30, 1856. He was educated in their schools, and came with his parents to the United States when fourteen years of age. He learned the blacksmith's trade in Rome, which business he has carried on successfully eleven years in Higginsville. He was elected town clerk of the town of Verona in 1892, and was re-elected in 1894. February 27, 1884, he married Louise C. Baker of this town, by whom he has two sons: W. Clarence and John F. Mr. Ronspees's father, Charles F., was born at the old home in Germany in 1826. He was educated there and was a blacksmith by trade. He married Henrietta Splitgerber of his native place, and came to the United States in 1870. They had four sons: August, Herman, as above, Charles, and Gustave. Mr. Ronspees died in 1876, and his widow resides with Herman. Mrs. Ronspee's father, Daniel Baker, was born in Germany about 1831, and came to the United States with his parents when fourteen years of age, locating in Utica. He married Eliza Ague, by whom he had four children: Louie C., as above, William P., Frederick E., and Henry L. Mr. Ronspees is a member of New London Lodge No. 420, F. & A. M. (p. 75-76) [Top]

ROOT, OREN, was born at Syracuse, N. Y., where his father was principal of Syracuse Academy, May 18, 1838, and his family moved to Clinton in January, 1850, when the elder Root was elected professor of mathematics in Hamilton College, which position he held for thirty-two years. In 1852 Oren entered Hamilton College in the class of 1856, a boy fourteen and one-half years of age, the youngest member of the class. After graduation Mr. Root taught for a time, and finally took up the study of law, being admitted to the bar of Wisconsin in 1858. From 1880-82 he was tutor in mathematics in Hamilton College, leaving that position to become principal of Rome Academy. His next field of action was the West, where he occupied the chair of English in the University of Missouri for five years. In 1871 he resigned to become superintendent of the newly organized schools of Carrolton, Mo. Two years later Professor Root became principal of Pritchell Institute, Glasgow, Mo. While here, in obedience to a strong impulse, he decided to enter the ministry, taking charge of two struggling and divided churches, in addition to his school duties, and here his great ability as an organizer proved of inestimable value. But the strain of the added cares proved too much even for his great endurance, and he was obliged to give up active duty for a time. In 1880, his health fully restored, he was called from the West to assist his aged father, whom he succeeded the following year as professor of mathematics. Professor Root had now been in the West fourteen years. His experiences had been varied and often severe. He was teacher, lawyer, principal, superintendent, and pastor. The training thus received has manifested itself in later years in Professor Root's work in college. His mind was broadened, trained, and made ready for work. He had acquired knowledge that could only have been obtained in the rough and more trying life of the West. He had found a certain readiness and push, a fearless determination, and willingness to lift and carry burdens which has enabled him to become a power in his: chosen work and place. Professor Oren Root has taught mathematics in Hamilton College for fifteen years, with great zeal and ability. As an instructor, Dr. Root is forcible, clear and thorough. As an orator, Dr. Root is held in repute far and wide. His utterances are pithy and powerful, his rhetoric is easy and finished, his discourses replete with illustration, and persuasive in their effects. His hearers move with him, and there is a seriousness and substantiality in and through it all, that only comes of fixed purpose and strong conviction. His experience and knowledge of life make him a leader of more than ordinary power. (p. 131) [Top]

ROSE, F.W., M.D., was born in Jackson county, Ohio, September 30, 1852, son of Horace P. and Margaret (Stephenson) Rose. Dr. Rose graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery in June, 1874, and then began the practice of medicine in Greene county, Ohio, where he practiced until 1889, and removed to Hastings, Adams county, Neb., where he devised the system of treatment that bears his name. Here he formed a partnership with John Nafe, L.M. Whitney, and William B. Coggeshall, cousin of Senator Coggeshall, and removed from Hastings, to Grand Island, Neb. He left a sanitarium there in charge of Dr. Henry Jackson, and in January, 1892, came to Clinton, N.Y., and entered upon the treatment of alcoholism at the Willard House, where he remained till September 17, 1894, when he opened a sanitarium in Whitesboro in the commodious building in which the celebrated Whitestown Seminary was formerly located. Dr. Rose is medical director in chief of his system, known as the Baker Rose Gold Cure, and under his supervision and direction, physicians are educated, who conduct the system in various parts of the country and the world. Among the various branches of Dr. Rose's system may be mentioned the following: Cornwall on the Hudson; Albion, N.Y.; Boston, Mass.; South Manchester, Conn.; Dallas, Texas; Guthrie, Oklahama [sic]; and Logansport, Ind. The following are some of the branches in Europe: Copenhagen, Denmark; Stockholm, Sweden; and Kupie, Finland. (p. 322) [Top]

ROSER, CHARLES , was born in Lewis, Lewis county, N.Y., July 10, 1861. His father, Henry Roser, was a native of Germany and came to America in 1849, settling in Ava. where he engaged in farming. He married Catherine Schwaub, who came to America in 1852, daughter of George and Louise Schwaub, who lived and died in Germany. Charles Roser was educated at West Leyden, and has since followed farming, now owning a farm of 125 acres, on which he keeps about twenty-five cows. In 1885 he married Amelia, daughter of Frederick and Barbara(Ruby) Gerwig, of New London, both natives of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Roser have two children: Winifred, born September 12, 1886; and Emerson, born September 2, 1890. (p. 95)[Top]

ROWLEY, WARREN C., of the firm of Rowley & Horton, Utica, was born in Trenton, N. Y., September 28, 1841. The pioneer ancestor of the family, Henry Rowley, came to the Plymouth Colony from England in the Ann, in 1632 and was one of the founders of Scituate; he later removed with pastor John Lothrop to Barnstable where he was one of the original proprietors. In 1643 he was one of the Barnstable Committee; in 1644 and 1650 a representative to the General Court; in 1661 removed to Falmouth where he died 1673. His wife, from whom the subject of this sketch is descended, was Frances, daughter of William Palmer who came to America in the " Fortune," in 1621. Moses Rowley, sr., son of Henry and Frances Rowley, moved with his father from Scituate to Barnstable and later to Falmouth where he held many offices of trust and was representative to the General Court for several terms; he died in 1705; his wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Ur. Matthew Fuller, at one time surgeon-general of the colony, and granddaughter of Edward Fuller who came in the Mayflower in 1620. Moses Rowley, jr., the next in line, was born in Barnstable in 1654, removed to Falmouth and later to East Haddam, Conn., where he died in 1735. His wife Mary died in 1764 aged ninety-seven years. Their son, Ebenezer, sr., was born in Falmouth in 1695, married in 1719 Mary Church, a granddaughter of Richard Church, " the warrior,'' who came to New England in 1630. Ebenezer, sr., died in 1757 in East Haddam, Conn., where his son, Ebenezer, jr., was born October 20, 1727. The latter died in February, 1811, having married, October 18, 1750, Susanna Anable, a great-granddaughter of Anthony Anable, who came to Plymouth 1623. Asher Rowley, son of Ebenezer, jr., was born in Haddam, Conn., in 1766, and died in Winsted, Conn., in 1843, where he had resided many years. In 1792 he married Mehitabel, daughter of Lieut. Jonathan Dunham. who served as corporal in Capt. Amos Jones's company, Col. Jonathan Latimer's regiment, under Gates at Saratoga and elsewhere. He was descended from John Dunham, one of the first settlers in the colony. Warren Dunham Rowley, son of Asher and Mehitabel, and father of Warren C. Rowley, whose name appears at the head of this sketch, was born in Winsted, Conn., June 20, 1800. He received a good education and devoted several years to teaching in various institutions of learning. In 1825 he removed to Utica and later to Trenton, N. Y., where he engaged in the mercantile business. He was for several terms justice of the peace and commissioner of schools. In politics he was an ardent Whig; he died September 5, 1854. His wife, Harriet Maria Curry, was born in Trenton on July 4, 1818, and died in Utica February 14, 1889. Her father Maj. Issac Curry, was a lieutenant in Capt. Farnham's company, Col. Cleveland's 72d New York regiment under Brig.-Gen. Oliver Collins, which did service at Sackett's Harbor in the war of 1812. He was for many years an agent of the Holland Land Company; served several terms as justice of the peace and supervisor, and in 1847 was elected to the State Legislature; he died in Trenton in 1854. The father of Maj. Isaac Curry was John Curry, a native of Dumfries. Scotland, who came to this country about 1796 and married Cornelia, sister of John Post, the first merchant of Utica. Warren C. Rowley acquired his education in the schools of his native town of Trenton and completed a course of study at Fairfield Seminary. He first engaged in business for himself as a general merchant in Trenton and in 1866 removed to Utica where with his uncle, Orrin Curry, and his brother, H. Curtis Rowley, he engaged in the paper and stationery trade, the style of the firm being Curry, Rowley & Co. About one year later Mr. Curry retired from business and George C. Horton was admitted the firm being Rowley Bros. & Co. This partnership continued until 1879 when H. C. Rowley retired and removed to Springfield, Mass. The firm then adopted its present name, Rowley & Horton. This is the oldest paper house in Utica and has always enjoyed great prosperity. In politics Mr Rowley is a Republican and he feels a pride in having cast his vote for Abraham Lincoln and also for every succeeding presidential nominee of his party. He is a member of various societies and organizations, including the Oneida Historical Society in which he has a special interest and has been its treasurer for several years. He was one of the original organizers of the Plymouth Congregational church in 1883 and has been one of its trustees from the beginning. Mr Rowley married, August 3, 1870, Julia A. Waite, born in Carthage, N. Y, October 20, 1848, daughter of Rev. Hiram H. Waite, who was a direct descendant from Richard Waite, the marshal of the Plymouth Colony in 1654, also a "Commissary of the Horse" in an expedition against the Narragansett Indians the same year, and a member of the "Ancient and Honorable Artillery," 1638. He was also the grandson of a second Richard Waite, a soldier of the Revolution who served in Lieut.-Colonel Flagg's regiment which marched from Leicester on the alarm of Bennington. Mr and Mrs. Rowley are the parents of two children, Edith Adella, born in Utica, March 2, 1873, a graduate of Mrs. Piatt's Seminary, also the Utica Conservatory of Music, and Henry Waite. born March 7, 1879, now (1896) a student at the Utica Academy. (p. 246-247) [Top]

RUSH, HORACE J., was born in the town of Camden, June 29, 1865, one of four children of Jacob and Amelia Rush, who have lived for many years in the town of Camden, the father being a carpenter and builder, which trade his son, Horace J., learned, and through close attention has become a thorough master of the business, until at this time he conducts one of the leading sash and door factories of the town, turning out all classes of outside and inside finish for houses. He married Lena Grant, of Camden. Mr. Rush is a member of the American Mechanics, and in politics is a Republican. (p. 176) [Top]

RYAN, WILLIAM F., was born February 11, 1851, in Brooklyn, N. Y., and came with his parents to Utica when one year old. He was educated in the Assumption Academy. He was in the employ of John A. Davies, a furniture dealer, for seven years, and with M. B. De Long for twelve years, following the trade of wood polishing. In 1884 he formed a partnership with Andrew Steates, as Steates & Ryan, and engaged in the retail furniture business, and in which they still continue. The firm also does wood-polishing, repairing, etc. Mr. Ryan was school commissioner of Utica for two terms, being elected in 1885 and re-elected in 1888. He was a charter member of Utica Lodge, No. 1979, Knights of Honor, and now its presiding officer, and has also been the representative to the Grand Lodge of the State of New York and the Supreme Lodge of the United States. He is a member of the Catholic Benevolent Legion, the Order of United Friends, Utica Maennechor, and Ancient Order of Hibernians. (p. 202) [Top]