TAFFT, JULIAN E., was born in Oneida, N.Y., May 3, 1858. He was educated in the public schools and Oneida Seminary and now follows farming. He married Emily S. Frisbie, of Verona, N.,, by whom he has two sons: Charles F. and James H. Mr. Tafft's father, James S., was born in Swansea, N.H., in 1812, where he was educated. James S. Tafft came to this State when twenty-one years of age; he was a carpenter and contractor. He married twice, second to Julia A. Robinson, of Dunstable, Mass., and by whom he had five children: Emma, died in infancy, Florence, Marian, Julian E., and Murray. He died November 13, 1888. Julian E. Tafft is a fine musician. The family is of New England and Scotch descent. (p. 329-330) [Top]

TAFT, GEORGE H., was born in Oswego county, son of Nathaniel and Lydia (Simpson) Taft. He enlisted in 1862, in Co. A., 110th N. Y. Vols., and served until the end of the war. He served in the Nineteenth Army Corps under General Bands, and after the war, he took up his trade as builder and mason, which he has followed ever since. In 1872, he came to Waterville, and with his brother did a great deal of important building all over the county, including the opera house and Ayers blocks at Earlville, the opera house at New Berlin, N. Y., and the County Home at Rome, etc. He is a prominent Grand Army man, and is a Royal Arch Mason. He has been commander of the post eight years, and trustee of the village of Waterville. Alphonse Taft, secretary of state under Garfield, was a member of the family. In 1868, he married Helen M. Peaslee, by whom he has two children: Fred P., and Vira. Fred P. Taft is a physician in Rothsay, Minn. (p. 80) [Top]

TAFT, RUFUS, was born in the town of Annsville, N. Y., May 12, 1831, son of Lyman and Betsey (Storey) Taft. The grandfather, Daniel Taft, came from Connecticut and settled in this town when it was a wilderness, as early as 1806. Rufus Taft was educated in the town of Annsville, and was for many years a boatman, but is now engaged in farming, owning a farm of ninety-six acres, most of which is improved. In 1861, he enlisted in the 81st N. Y. Vols., served until the close of the war, and was in many noted battles, such as Petersburg, Cold Harbor, etc. He married Clarissa A., daughter of David Putnam, by whom he had four children; David H., Cornelia N., Genevieve and Frank M., who in connection with his oldest brother, David H., conducts a prosperous livery business and stage route in Taberg village and surrounding villages. Mr. Taft is a member of Ballard Post, No. 551, G. A. R., and in politics is a Republican. (p. 57) [Top]

TANNER, LEVI G., was born on the farm where he now resides, November 14, 1845, son of Levi and Mary Ann Wilcox Tanner, who settled in this town about 1840. He was one of four children: Levi G., Joseph S., Mary E. and Jennie P. Levi sr. followed farming and cheesemaking, and started the third cheese factory in the county. He was justice of the peace, and a hard working, self-made man. Levi G. jr. is engaged in farming, owning a farm of about 500 acres. He belongs to Oriskany F. & A. M., No. 799, and is also a member of the Floyd Grange. (p. 170) [Top]

TANNER, W. RAY, was born at Fairfield, Herkimer county, N. Y. June 23, 1822, son of Alva Tanner. The American ancestors of Mr. Tanner settled in Rhode Island. His paternal great-grandfather, Ebenezer Tanner, was a somewhat celebrated captain in the merchant marine of colonial days. When nineteen years of age Mr. Tanner engaged in the manufacture of carriages, first locating at Fairfield, jobbing at various points, Middleville, Lee, etc., until 1852 when he settled in Utica, but, owing to failing health, returned to Fairfield and in 1857, located permanently at Boonville in partnership with E. G. Wooley. This firm did a large business until Mr. Wooley's death in 1891, when Mr. Tanner disposed of his interest in December, 1892, and now lives a retired life. (p. 30) [Top]

TAYLOR, GEORGE, was born in Boonville in 1834 where he is a prominent farmer, held in high repute in both business and social circles, and is one of the seven children of John Taylor, a farmer from Rhode Island, who settled in Boonville in 1817, purchasing 100 acres of land for $600 in what was then a bleak wilderness. George Taylor received his education in Boonville, devoting his time since to agricultural pursuits and the manufacture of cheese, for which he has received special orders from consumers in San Francisco, Cal., and London, England. He now has his home where the late Amos Tyler resided, and whose daughter, Helen E., he married in 1874. Her father, Amos Tyler, was a native of Woodstock, Vt., and a cousin of ex-President Tyler, came here in 1850, his death occurring in 1878. Mr. Taylor's sympathies are with the Republican party. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. They have one son, J. Albert, aged twenty years, who is possessed of marked dramatic ability, and who is now manager of the Empire Specialty Co., a variety show touring Northern and Central New York. (p. 37-38) [Top]

TAYLOR, LORENZO M., son of Job and Polly (Burdick) Taylor, was born in Bergen, Genesee county, July 11, 1819, and moved with his parents to Utica in 1829. Job Taylor was first a cotton manufacturer, but in Utica kept the Farmer's Tavern, commonly called the Bull's Head, where the store of Job Parker's Sons now stands. Later he kept the Cottage Inn on the corner of Broad and Bridge streets, another on the corner of Whitesboro and --- streets, and a third on the corner of Fayette and Cornelia streets. He died about 1852, and his wife about 1870. Lorenzo M. Taylor completed a thorough education in the Utica public schools and academy in 1838. At the age of nineteen, having studied civil engineering at the academy under Prof. Prentice (later of Geneva College) and William M. Williams, he was appointed city surveyor of Utica and held that office for eleven consecutive years, being the second incumbent under the city charter. He was succeeded by his brother, and deputy, William B. Taylor, who served seven years, who was subsequently State engineer three terms, and who died in February, 1895, aged seventy-one. Since retiring from the city surveyor's office Mr. Taylor has been engaged in civil engineering and the real estate business. He has laid out and sold more than 700 acres of city building lots. Among the tracts he has developed are the Kemble, Schuyler, Seymour, Stocking and Devereux farms. In 1843 he married Susan L., daughter of Luther Rumrill, of Utica, who died Mary 1, 1889. They had two children: Charles S., a civil engineer and surveyor associated with his father, and Emily (Mrs. Leonard V. Beebe), who died in February, 1889. (p. 347) [Top]

TEACHOUT, ASA, was born in Western, November 16, 1818, a son of Isaac and Anna (Tubbs) Teachout, natives of Dutchess county, N.Y., who settled in Western about 1800, where Mr. Teachout engaged in farming and resided until his death at the age of seventy-seven. Mr. and Mrs. Teachout were the parents of fourteen children: Lydia (Mrs. Isaac Teachout), Ruth (Mrs. Benjamin Chapman), Franklin, Olive (Mrs. Jerome Clark), Catherine (Mrs. David Blasier), Sally (Mrs. Henry Hart), Abram, Betsey (Mrs. John Dillenbeck), Cyrus, Asa, Cynthia (Mrs. John Sterrett), Harvey, James, and Diane (Mrs. Isaac Blasier). Asa was reared in Western, and in early manhood went to Philadelphia, Jefferson county, N.Y., where he was employed on a farm eleven years, and then engaged in farming on his own account in Western, in which he continued until 1881, when he retired. He married Sarah, daughter of Henry Blasier, and to them have been born ten children, six of whom grew to maturity: Horace, Emma (Mrs. Martin Ruppert), Elmina (Mrs. Reuben Grimes), William, Sarah (Mrs. George Kelley), and Ella (Mrs. Henry Morehouse). For his second wife he married Mrs. Eliza H. (Lewis) Dillenbeck of Western. In politics Mr. Teachout is a Democrat, and has served twelve years as assessor of Western. (p. 30) [Top]

TERHUNE, W.L., is a native of Newark, N.J., and was educated there. He first commenced the business of a manufacturing jeweler, but after following it for one year, he engaged in the book and stationery business in Milwaukee; from there he went to Texas, and in 1875 he returned to Newark, N.J., and engaged in the hop business, removing to Waterville in 1877. In 1880 he married Alma J. Foster of Middleville, Herkimer county, N.Y., by whom he has one daughter, Edith D. Terhune. Mr. Terhune's father, James J. Terhune, was also a native of New Jersey, as was his grandfather, William Terhune. The family is an old New Jersey family, and have been in the State for generations. His mother is Margaret (Lefferts) Terhune, a native of New York State. His father is dead, but his mother is still living at the age of eighty years. Mr. Terhune is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Royal Arcanum. In the latter he has held many important offices, including district deputy and member of the grand council. He is also a director of the Y. M. C. A. in Waterville. His father was county clerk of Essex county, N,J., from 1855 to 1860. (p. 118) [Top]

THAYER, EMERY R., was born in Springfield, Otsego county, September 17, 1853, son of Julius P. Thayer, who was a carpenter and builder, and a lifelong resident of Otsego county, as were his ancestors. He was born in 1826, and died in 1860. His wife, Lucy H. (Bates) Thayer, was born in Dutchess county in 1828, and is now living at Westford, N. Y. Emery R. Thayer received his education at the district school and the Westford Literary Institute. Upon coming to Oneida county he first settled in Rome, where he remained for one year, and from there he went to Vernon, where he was employed on a farm, and worked three years in Madison county, at the end of which time he returned to Oneida county and for the next five years rented a farm. October 13, 1875, he married Emma, daughter of Daniel W. and Elizabeth Eaton of Augusta, by whom he has four children: Robert E., who was born March 9, 1876; Elizabeth E., born January 11, 1879; Maud, who was born March 20, 1883; and Lulu, born July 20, 1884. (p. 285) [Top]

THOMAS, CHARLES H., was born on the farm where he now resides, April 17, 1840, son of Stephen and Lucy(Goodell) Thomas. He was born in the first frame house in this part of the country. His mother's family belonged to Montgomery county, N.Y. His father's family were Quakers, and moved from Dutchess county to Herkimer county when Stephen was twelve years of age. There were two brothers, Henry, of Lone Rock, Wis., and the late Dr. D. G. Thomas of Utica, and one sister who married Capt. Holcomb of Litchfield. About 1830 Stephen became connected with Frankfort Iron Works, being superintendent first, and afterwards, as agent, he traveled all over the State. In 1834 he came to Paris and bought a farm of eighty acres, adding to it until it contained over two hundred acres. He was one of the first to put up a cheese factory in this section, where his son Charles was cheesemaker for some years. He was an energetic, progressive and successful farmer, and was one of the men who rendered efficient aid in putting through the Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna Valley (now D. L. & W.) railroad, being one of the commissioners until his health failed. Both parents died at the age of eighty-seven years, leaving two sons, C. H., and W. J. Thomas of Westmoreland. In 1867 Charles H. Thomas married Frances L. Knight, daughter of Jeremiah Knight, M. D., also of Quaker family, coming from Providence, R. I. He was a well known physician of the town of Paris, also supervisor, and superintendent of schools. Her mother, Lucia (Marsh) Knight, was a lineal descendant of Anne Webster, daughter of Gov. John Webster, and John Marsh, both of whose names are to be found on a fine shaft, erected to the memory of the first settlers in Hartford, Conn. Other members of the family were, later on, first settlers of Hadley, Mass., New Hartford, Conn., and still later of Whitesboro and New Hartford, Oneida county, N.Y. These families were both represented in the wars of 1776, 1812, and the war of the Rebellion. Sergt. Robert Knight and Dr. Arthur Knight, of Sauquoit, served three years in the Union army. The old militia commissions of Capt. Nehemiah Knight, jr., rank of Colonel, "Cranston Blues, R. I." dated 1802, signed by "Gov. Arthur Fenner, Commander in Chief of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations;" countersigned by "N. Knight, Senator," also the commission of "Lieut. Jeremiah Knight, 140th N.Y. Infantry," signed by De Witt Clinton are still in the possession of the family. Charles and Frances Thomas have three sons: Jeremiah K. of Binghamton, Stephen G., and Irving H., still on the farm. (p. 150-151) [Top]

THOMAS, EVAN T., was born in the town of Steuben, August 25, 1833, son of Thomas J. & Ann Jones Thomas. Mrs. Thomas was a daughter of John F. & Mary Jones, who settled in Trenton about 1800. John F. Jones was a private in the war of 1812. Thomas J. Thomas settled in Trenton about 1825 and in 1828 he married and moved to Steuben. They had three children: Capt. John T., who enlisted in Co. F 117th Regt. NY Vols. and was killed January 15, 1865 at Fort Fisher, N. C., Evan T., and Maria (deceased). Evan T. Thomas married Priscilla, daughter of Meredith H. & Jane Meredith by whom he had four children: Anna, John, Clarence D., and Jennie (deceased. His wife died in 1874. He was married December 22, 1875 to Ann, daughter of John O. and Jeanette Roberts, of Remsen. In 1857, Mr. Thomas engaged in the limestone and quarry business near Remsen, and in 1869 he removed to Prospect, where he has since been engaged in the same business. He has always been interested in educational and church affairs. (p. 99-100) [Top]

THOMAS, FRANK E., is a son of Thomas R. and the junior member of the wholesale fruit and oyster firm of T. R. Thomas & Co. Thomas R. Thomas was born September 23, 1831, in Wales, England, where his father died, and came to America with his widowed mother in 1841, settling in Remsen, Oneida county. In 1849 he came to Utica and engaged in various employments until 1852, when he established a retail fruit business. In 1854 he started a wholesale and retail fruit and oyster establishment in Liberty street, and since about 1888 has done wholesaling exclusively. In 1854 he formed a partnership with David J. Evans, and from 1855 to 1858 he continued alone. He then with T. H. Jones, formed the firm of Thomas & Jones, but was again alone from 1859 to 1881. He then took his half-brother, Griffith M. Jones, as a partner and continued till April, 1894, when Mr. Jones retired and his son, Frank E. Thomas came in as T. R. Thomas & Co. Mr. Thomas was alderman of the Second ward from 1870 to 1874, was charity commissioner about eight years, is a director in the City National bank, a member of Utica Lodge F. & A. M. since 1856 and its trustee for twenty-three years, and a member of Oneida Chapter R. A. M. and of Utica Commandery K. T. May 4, 1858, he married Mary A., daughter of John Richards, of Utica, and they have had five children of whom two are living: Clara M. (Mrs. Beriah G. Williams) and Frank E., both of Utica. (p. 350-351) [Top]

THOMAS, GRIFFITH D., was born near Camroden, N. Y., March 29, 1847, son of Richard and Jane Thomas, who settled here about 1822. They have fourteen children: Evan, Jane, Griffith, John, Margaret, William, Samuel, James, Owen, Richard, Thomas, David, Gomer, and Edwin. Richard was engaged in early life in farming, but later in cheese making. He was public spirited and active in town affairs. Griffith Thomas married Nancy L., daughter of John Abell, by whom he has two children: Fred R. and Gertrude L. He worked for his father until 1870, when he purchased his father's interest in the cheese factory, which he has since conducted. He was supervisor in 1891, and trustee of the Westernville Presbyterian church, and director of the Farmers Insurance Co, of Oneida county; also secretary and treasurer of the cheese factory, which makes about 185,000 lbs. of cheese per year. (p. 110) [Top]

THOMAS, HUGH E., son of Ellis, was born in Utica, October 22, 1860. His father, a blacksmith by trade, came here from Wales, England, in 1852, was foreman of the New York Central Railroad repair shops, and died in 1878, aged fifty-six. Mr. Thomas, after leaving the public schools at the age of fifteen, became a clerk in the clothing store of T. Solomon Griffiths, with whom he formed a partnership in 1883 under the firm name of T. S. Griffiths & Co. In 1891 he succeeded to the business. He is an active Republican, was a delegate to the State Convention at Rochester in 1891, and at Saratoga in 1895, and is now and has been for several years city and county committeeman from the Tenth ward of Utica. (p. 278) [Top]

THOMAS, REES E., was born in Landilofawr, Carmarthenshire, South Wales, June 30, 1857, was graduated from Llandovery College in 1876, read law in his native village with J. Prothero Lewis until December, 1879, and then came to America, settling in Utica, where in March, 1880, he entered the law office of W. & J. D. Kernan. He was admitted to the bar at Utica general term in April 1886, but continued as managing clerk for his preceptors and their successors until January, 1890 a period of nine years, when he opened is present office. He makes a specialty of real estate and title law. In January 1890, with George D. Frank as partner, he organized the Central New York Abstract and Title Company, which he conducted alone since 1894. He is somewhat active in Democratic political circles and was attorney for the Excise Board of the city in 1891, 1892 and 1893. He is a member and past master of Faxton Lodge No. 697 F. & A. M., a member and past grand of Oneida Lodge No. 70, I. O. O. F.; a member and past chief patriarch of Tri-Mount Encampments No. 24, I. O. O. F,; a member of Canton Utica No. 23, I. O. O. F,; and past district deputy grand master and past district deputy grand patriarch of the Grand Lodge of the State. He is past regent of Schuyler Council No. 404 R. A., and past district grand regent. He is a member of Oneida chapter No. 57, R. A. M., past sechem of Teugaga Tribe No. 138, I. O. R. M., past district deputy and past grand representative for the State of New York to the Grand Council of the United States, a charter member and the first and present secretary of the Masonic Club of Utica, a member of Utica Lodge Knights of Honor and Our Council Home Circle, and a member of the Utica Mannerchor. June 22, 1879, he was married in Wales to Mary Ann Williams, and they have five children living: Mabel Anna, Sarah Llewelyn, Herbert Francis, Harold Pryse and Tudor Lloyd. (p. 352) [Top]

[Transcription Note: This biography for Richard J. Thomas is found at the end of the entry for Griffith Williams, but it is likely a separate entry that wasn't paragraphed correctly in the original.]

THOMAS, RICHARD J., was born in the town of Steuben, May 28, 1833. His father. John I. Thomas, was born in Wales, in 1775, one of two brothers who came to America in 1818. He was a mason by trade and settled in the town of Steuben, and worked on the Erie Canal. He married Jane Pritchard, by whom he had ten Children, seven of whom grew to maturity. The father died in 1857, and the mother was one of the original eight who organized the first Calvanistic Methodist society in Remsen in 1826 and soon erected a church building, called Pen-y-Graig (Top of the rock). She died when sixty-four years of age. When fifteen years of age Griffith Thomas began life for himself at farm work, later engaged in mason work, and from 1854 to 1862 spent his entire time laying stone walls. In 1861 he bought his present farm of 126 acres. In politics he is a Republican, and while in the town of Steuben he served as constable, commissioner of highways and town clerk j for the town of Remsen he has served six years as assessor and five years as commissioner of highways, He is also interested in educational affairs and has helped many poor children to terms of school. In 1862 he married Margaret Williams, who was born in Remsen, a daughter of William and Jane (Hughes) Williams, by whom he has three children: Jane, John R, and William H. (p. 182-183) [Top]

THOMAS, W. J., was born in Herkimer county, N. Y., August 6, 1829, son of Stephen and Lucy (Goodell) Thomas. Stephen Thomas was born in Dutchess county, and Lucy, his wife, was born in Montgomery county. Stephen Thomas was employed in Utica in his early days, and after that engaged in farming, which he followed to the time of his death at the age of seventy-seven. Mrs. Thomas also died at the age of seventy-seven. W. J. Thomas was educated at the district school at Paris, then assisted his father at farming, until he bought a farm of his own. Mr. Thomas settled in Westmoreland on his present homestead in 1866. He married Sarah Seymour, of Westmoreland, by whom he has three children: Elisha Goodell Thomas, Caroline and Mary Thomas. All the children are members of the Methodist church. (p. 191) [Top]

THOMAS, WILLIAM E., was born in the town of Whitestown, N. Y., June 23, 1847, son of John E. and Mary A. Thomas. The grandfather, Evan D. Thomas, came here from Wales about 1808. He was a farmer, and his children were John E., David H., William R., Sarah Ann, Jessie, Evan D., and Benjamin, all natives of Oneida county. John E. was apprenticed as a wagon maker when eighteen years of age, which business he followed for five years. He then moved to Mankato, Minn., where he remained ten years, when he came to Marcy. His children were William E., John G., Marion, Sarah Ann, and Robert E. William E. married Carrie J., daughter of Alfred and Mary Weaver, of Deerfield, by whom he had six children: Leroy, Ray, Irving, Annie Mary, William W., and Laurie, all natives of Marcy. Mr. Thomas is a farmer by occupation, and is also interested in town and county affairs, was highway commissioner three years and collector one year. (p. 168-169) [Top]

THOMPSON, HENRY D., was born in New Hartford, N. Y., in 1826, and since his retirement twenty years ago from farming he has been a resident of the village. He is the only child of Ethan Thompson, who came here from Connecticut when a boy. Ethan Thompson took a lively interest in all that pertained to the welfare of the town; was a member of the M. E. church and was always engaged in agricultural pursuits. He died in 1881, aged ninety-two years. Henry D. Thompson married Mary J. Webster. (p. 257) [Top]

THOMPSON, JOSEPH T., was born in Durhamville, N.Y., in 1831. He was educated in the district and select schools, and has since had a variety of occupations; in earlier years he was a farmer. He erected and has been interested in the cheese factories of Oneida Castle, and built the first circular saw mill in the town of Verona, near Oneida, where he conducted for fourteen years an extensive lumber business. He started the first ice business in Oneida, and is the originator of several new varieties of fruit, among them the Columbus gooseberry and the Columbian raspberry, being very valuable additions to the list of small fruits. He is also an inventor and mechanic. February 6, 1861, he married Mary S. White, of Oneida Castle, N.Y., who was born in Potsdam, N.Y., in 1836. Mr. Thompson's father, Joseph Thompson, was born in Colerain, Mass., September 30, 1791. He was educated in the schools of that day, and came to this county when a young man. He married Betsey Frazee, of Durhamville, N.Y., by whom he had seven children: Margaret, Betsey, Rachel, Angeline, Joseph T., as above, Benjamin F. and Edwin. Mr. Thompson was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was also an officer in the State militia. He died in 1870 and his wife in 1877. Mr. Thompson's grandfather, Joseph Thompson, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and his grandfather Frazee was the first settler in Durhamville, N.Y. Mrs. Thompson's father, Harry White, was born in Rome, N.Y., in 1801. He was educated in the schools of that day, and was a mechanic by occupation, also a Baptist minister. He married Deborah Jenne, of Shaftsbury, Vt., by whom he had three children: Henry S., Mary S., as above, and Jenne L. He died in 1889 and his wife in 1881. The ancestry of the family is Scotch on both sides. (p. 151) [Top]

THORNELEY, EDWARD, was born in England, January 23, 1831, son of Charles and Mary Thorneley. Edward Thorneley came to the United States in 1848, and settled in Westmoreland on his present farm in 1852. He married Eliza Carwardine, daughter of John and Mary Carwardine, of English extraction. Mr. Thorneley is a staunch Republican in politics, and contributes his best efforts to the support of the party. (p. 306) [Top]

TIBBITS, SUSAN.--The late Truman Tibbits was born in Rome, N. Y., son of Jonathan Tibbits, who settled in the town of Rome, coming from Rhode Island. He was engaged in farming, and also kept a hotel, and was of English parentage. He married Judith Niles of West Hampton, Mass., by whom he had twelve children: Mary, Samantha, Sarah, Leife, Hannah, Aylmer, George, Julia, Eliza, Hiram, Cynthia, and Truman K. October 10, 1887, Truman K. Tibbits married Susan Carpenter of Kirkland, N. V., daughter of William and Eunice (Coe) Carpenter, natives of Massachusetts, who were born November 5, 1784, and November 1, 1788, respectively. (p. 192-193) [Top]

TIBBITTS, MILTON G., one of the leading farmers of New Hartford, came here from Kirkland, where he had been previously engaged in farming, and located on a 130 acre farm, his present residence. He is a descendant of a family originally from Rhode Island, of English and Scotch ancestry, and son of Truman Tibbitts, a farmer of East Rome, where Milton G. was born in 1841, and from which place he came to Kirkland when six years of age. There he allied himself with a family of national historical interest, by marriage to Susan J. Peck, daughter of Charles P. Peck. She is the representative of the eighth generation of Jean Paul Peck, who came to America in 1636, and settled at Boston, founding the family. Her great-grandfather was a member of the Continental Congress. She is the mother of seven children. (p. 338) [Top]

TITUS, E., was born at Forge Hollow in 1856, son of Hosea B. and Harmony (Newton) Titus. Hosea Titus was also a native of Forge Hollow, and was a member of the Central New York Farmer's Club, and also conducts the forge at Forge Holllow, which was established by William Titus, his father, in 1800. Mr. E. Titus married Minerva Buckingham, by whom he had three children: Florence, Anna and Ruth. (p. 355) [Top]

TOMPKINS, C. H., was born on the farm where he now resides, February 24, 1856, son of Joshua P. and Angelina (Pierce) Tompkins. His grandfather, Nathaniel Tompkins, was a native of Little Compton, R. I., and was one of the early settlers in the town of Paris, the deed of his farm being dated 1806. C. H. Tompkins has been engaged in farming all of his life. In 1877 he married Jennie Brownell, who died leaving one daughter, Angeline Pierce Tompkins, and in November, 1889, he married Kittle Brownell, by whom he had one son, Nathaniel Tompkins. In politics he is a Republican, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also of the Patrons of Industry. (p. 156) [Top]

TOWNSEND, WALTER C., is a son of Homer Townsend, who was born in Grandborough, Warwickshire, England Aril 17, 1822, came to America in 1831, settled in Utica in 1833, and died here April 20, 1884. Homer Townsend was long a prominent and influential citizen and held several positions of trust and honor. He was alderman of the Eighth ward of Utica for eight years a member of the Board of Charity Commissioners for the same length of time, and a member of the Exempt Firemen's Association and of the Seymour Artillery. In all these positions he served with distinction and great credit. He was married in Utica, November 13, 1843, to Miss Emily Hill, and their children were Charles Henry, Grace Louisa, Homer Clemens, William Fall, Henrietta Neeley, John Adams, Mary Louise, George Arthur, Walter Clarkson, Fanny Camelia and Frank. (p. 372-372) [Top]

TOWSLEY, DR. WILLIAM DEALTON, was born in Oneida county, December 14, 1856. In 1857, his parents moved to Sandy Creek, Oswego county, N. Y., where he spent his boyhood days on the farm and attended the district schools and later became a pupil in the Union High School of Sandy Creek, where he remained one year, and then entered Pulaski Academy, where he spent three years. After teaching school two winters at Port Ontario, N. Y., he entered the office of Dr. Frank S. Low, of Pulaski and began the study of medicine. In 1878, he entered the University of New York City, from which he was graduated with honors March 8, 1881, and began practicing at South Richland, N. Y. In the spring of 1887, he located in the thriving village of Camden, where tow years later he erected a fine residence at No. 135 Main Street. In June, 1881, he was elected a member of the Oswego County Medical Society, and in 1887, a member of the Oneida County Medical Society. While a resident of South Richland, he was postmaster and coroner of the county. April 27, 1881, he married Jennie, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Calkins, of Dexter, Jefferson county, and they have one daughter. Dr. and Mrs. Towsley have been members of the Methodist church for many years. (p. 61) [Top]

TRACY, CHARLES was born at Vernon Center, in 1851, and spent the early part of his life in that vicinity. The Tracys were among the earliest settlers in Oneida county, and were also the foremost citizens, having been identified with the development and progress of that part of the country. His father, Samuel Dill Tracy was born at Ridge Mills, Oneida county, N.Y., October 22, 1813. When a mere boy he went to work for Joshua Hathaway, one of the first merchants in the city of Rome, N.Y., and in 1828 he went to New York city, where he learned the art of piano making, in company with Steinway, Chickering, Hardman, Nunn Bros., and others who were learning the trade at that time. Leaving New York he went to Albany in the latter part of the twenties, and had the honor of stringing and tuning the first piano manufactured in this State (outside of New York city), for George Meecham and Co. of Albany. Leaving Albany he located at Hampton, Oneida county, where he built several pianos; later on he moved to Vernon, N.Y., where William H. Beebe and the late E. D. Buckingham of Utica, learned the piano trade of him. Mr. Tracy invented the "back catch" and "spring jack" that were first made in square pianos. He was the first American piano tuner in Oneida County, where he practiced tuning for over fifty years. He married Emily Jane, daughter of Silas and Prudence (Gridley) Crocker, by whom he had these children: James, Henry C., Mary Maria, Charles, Luna Jane, Samuel D., jr., and Edwin C., all of whom are deceased by Mary Maria (Mrs. S.D. Norton), Charles, and Edwin C., who is postmaster at Vernon Center. Charles Tracy is connected with Buckingham, Moak and Marklove, piano dealers in Utica, N.Y. He is a musician of considerable reputation, and one of the most skillful piano tuners in the State. His paternal grandparents, Silas and Prudence (Gridley) Crocker, came from Connecticut and settled in Vernon, N.Y., in 1802. With them came Titus Pettibone, a brother-in-law, who married Cynthia Gridley. They settled on and cleared up a lot of sixteen acres, which is now owned by Clayton Lewin. Mr. and Mrs. Crocker had these children: Silas, Edwin, Mary and Emily Jane, all of whom are now deceased. (p. 307) [Top]

TRAXEL, GEORGE E.--The late Jacob Traxel was born in the town of Ava, Oneida county, N. Y., February 28, 1839. He was educated in the district schools and in early life carried on a blacksmith business, but afterward engaged in farming. April 16, 1863, he married Barbara Esch, of this town, by whom he had four children: George E., Ella E., Emma J., and C. Amelia. Mr. Traxel died September 4, 1883. Mrs. Traxel's father, Michael Esch, was born in Alsace, France, in 1799, and was educated there. He married Salome Neufer, of his native place, and they came to the United States in 1830, and first located in Trenton, N.Y., but soon after removed to the town of Verona, near New London. They had five children: Michael, Salome, George, Frederic, and Barbara. The ancestry of the family is German on both sides. (P. 140) [Top]

TRIPP, FRANKLIN, was born in Floyd, December 27, 1831, son of Isaac Tripp, (who married Mary Brooker in 1812), and he was one of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters; Henderson, Septimus, Savinah, Julia Ann, Isaac jr., William, Marquis De Lafayette, Helen, Franklin, Jeanette and Orris B. Isaac sr. was born in Dutchess county, December 17, 1792, a son of William Tripp, who served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war (and was consequently a pensioner till his death). William moved with his family to Floyd, Oneida county, when Isaac was quite a small boy. His other children were Stephen, William, Mary and Clara. Isaac settled in his permanently in Floyd, and being possessed of an energetic disposition, progressive ideas, and strong business capacity, naturally his influence was felt in the town and in his surroundings. He served as assessor for many years. Was cotemporary and intimately associated with General Floyd (after which the town was named, and who was then a resident of the town of Western). One of his sons, Isaac jr. settled in Utica as a lawyer; three settled in Cortland county, one in Cayuga, while Franklin and Orris remained on the old homestead with additions thereto. Franklin married Carrie, daughter of David and Mary Fulmer of the town of Steuben. They have two children who are at present pupils at the Holland Patent Academy. (Orris married Esther, daughter of Hugh and Sally Jones also of Steuben.) They are both farmers. (p. 45) [Top]

TRIPP, GEORGE L., was born in Bridgewater, N.Y., February 7,1873, son of Milton and Jennie Cole Tripp, of that town. His grandfather, Ira Tripp, is still living at Babcock Hill and he was one of the pioneers of Bridgewater; he was born in the town of Broom, Schoharie county, February 14, 1818, and moved to Bridgewater when fifteen years old. George L. learned the harness maker's trade, and in the spring of 1895 purchased the harness business of C.O. Biederman, which he is now conducting, and popularity in the community, coupled with his superior business abilities, insure him undoubted success. (p. 118) [Top]

TRIPP, ORRIS B., was born in Floyd April 27, 1838, son of Isaac and Mary (Brook) Tripp. Isaac Tripp was born in Steuben, and was a pioneer farmer, active in both town and county affairs; he was assessor in the town of Floyd for many years, and at one time the Democratic candidate for county superintendent of the poor. William Tripp, grandfather of Orris B., was a Revolutionary soldier and drew a pension for the same. His father, Job Tripp, was a soldier in the French war and also took an active part in the Revolution, being commissary to General Gates, and trained the horse that Arnold road at the battle of Saratoga. Orris B. Tripp was the youngest of ten children, and was educated in the district schools of his town and at the Utica Academy. He married Esther Jones in 1874, daughter of Hugh W. and Sally Smith Jones; they had one son in 1890, now deceased. He engaged in general farming at twenty-one years of age; held the office of justice of the peace three terms (twelve years); represented the town in the Board of Supervisors in 1881; has been active in public affairs and private enterprises. Though not a communicant of any church he is a staunch believer and a liberal supporter of the Christian religion. He is an extensive reader of history an of current events, enjoying fiction as well. He resides in the same house in which he was born, and has never moved but once, and then he took his house with him about a mile to an adjoining farm. He is a reliable, upright citizen, and his standing in his town is evidence that he has not lived in vain. (p. 130-131) [Top]

TUIGG, EDWARD D.,son of David and Julia Tuigg, was born in Ireland, December 25, 1853, and came to America with his parents in 1855, setting in Utica, where his father died in 1888 and his mother in 1895. He was educated in the railroad shops in Utica about two years. He then learned the plumber's trade with William H. Kavanagh and later with Edward Martin, remaining with the latter for sixteen years. In 1885 he formed a partnership with William Dwyer and Patrick F. Quinlan, as Dwyer, Quinlan & Co., and established his present business. Mr. Dwyer withdrew in 1886 and William Foley was admitted, and since then the firm has been Quinlan, Tuigg & Co. The firm does a general plumbing and gas and steam fitting business, and among the buildings in which their work appears are the residences of William T. and Thomas F. Baker, the Saturday Globe building, City Hall, Court House, the new State Armony (sic), and many others. Mr. Tuigg is a member of the Knights of Honor. (p. 349) [Top]

TUTTLE, FRANK J.--Salmon Tuttle was born in the town of Camden, Oneida county, N.Y., August 12, 1815. He was educated in the common and select schools, and has since been engaged on the canal and in lumbering and farming. He has been married twice, first in December, 1843, to Emily Page, of New London, and they had one son, Albert G. Mrs. Tuttle died July 8, 1845, and July 1, 1847, he married Sarah A. Bailey, of the town of Vienna, by whom he had four children: Flormond B., Zopher J., Volsey B., who died in infancy, and Frank J. Mr. Tuttle's father, Zopher Tuttle, was born in Connecticut, February 4, 1776, and came to the town of Salisbury, Herkimer county, when a young man. He married Betsey B. Beasley, formerly of Connecticut, by whom he had six children: Hannah, Polly, James, Delight, Salmon, as above, and Zopher. The great-grandfather of Frank J., Daniel Tuttle, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Salmon Tuttle has resided on the homestead sixty years. Frank J. Tuttle was born on the homestead June 13, 1861, and was educated in the public schools, and has since been engaged in farming and speculating. He married Flora E. Kent, of Leyden, Lewis county, by whom he had one daughter, Laura K. Mrs. Tuttle's father, Phineas Kent, was born in Leyden, May 22, 1826, and was educated in the schools of that time. He married Maria Smith, of the town of Lee, by whom he had five children: Flora E., as above, Nellie S., Lena B., Hattie M., and Grace A. The ancestry of the family is of New England stock, of English extraction. (p. 135) [Top]

TUTTLE, LANSING, was born in the town of Vienna February 14, 1835, son of Lent and Catherine (Hosmer) Tuttle, and grandson of Oramon, who was one of the earliest settlers of the town of Paris. Mr. and Mrs. Lent Tuttle's children were Lansing, Abi Collins, Rufus, Alta, Sophia and two deceased. He followed farming and lumbering. Lansing married Julina, daughter of David and Sallie Yager, and they have one son, Hiram R., who married Emma Ashpole, and their children are Grace, Lansing, and Margaret. Mr. Tuttle was appointed postmaster in 1875, and continued in that capacity for twelve years. (p. 30) [Top]

TUTTLE, NOAH, was born in the town of Vienna, August 12, 1842, son of Oramon and Eliza (Bennett) Tuttle, who settled in this town about 1816, coming from Connecticut. Oramon Tuttle's first wife was Abi Barnes, who bore him the following children: Emily, Sallie, Daniel, Lent, Mary, Alma, Thankful, Sophia, Nancy C., Oramon jr., and Mary Nancy. Oramon followed surveying, farming and lumbering. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of Camden, and very active in church work. Noah married Marietta, who was born in a log house near North Bay, daughter of Aaron and Mary Ann (York) Bushnell. They have had two children: Johnnie Griffith and Janie Eliza, deceased. In early life Noah followed farming but is now one of the firm of Tuttle & Co., who are engaged in the corn canning works. August 7, 1862, he enlisted in Co. H 117th. Regt. NY Vols. as corporal, and was mustered out June 28, 1865. (p. 31) [Top]

TUTTLE, RUFUS, was born January 26, 1843, and married Francella, a daughter of Edmond and Julina Yager of this county, and they have one child, Carrie, who married George J. Zimmerman of Detroit, Michigan. August 7, 1862, Mr. Tuttle enlisted in Co. H 117th Regt. NY Vols. and was mustered out June 28, 1865. He acted as corporal, and retained the same gun throughout the war, and was in every battle in which the compnay took part, and was never wounded or taken prisioner. He is actively itnerested in school affairs. (p. 30) [Top]

TYLER, CYRUS H., was born in Lee, Oneida county, March 11, 1830. Asa Pease Tyler, his grandfather, came to Rome, N. Y., and was one of the first settlers. Asa Pease, son of Dr. John Tyler, was born in Rome, and was one of its most early and prominent physicians. His entire life was spent in practicing in Rome, except for a period of several years, where he was noted for his liberal and progressive ideas. Cyrus H. Tyler was educated at Rome attending the select schools until the academy opened, from which he was graduated. Having delicate health, he chose the occupation of farming at which he has always continued. Mr. Tyler was a staunch Republican, until he became a Prohibitionist. Mr. Tyler married Martha Smith, of English extraction, by whom he has six children: John R., Henrietta S., William Henry, Katie A., Cyrus W. and Eliza M. John R. Tyler is in the mill and feed business at Waterville; William Henry Tyler has a large creamery business in Rome; and Cyrus W. Tyler is running a branch creamery at Westmoreland. Mr. Tyler and his family are members of the Congregational church at Westmoreland, and he is secretary of the Kirkland Creamery Association, and is one of the representative farmers of Westmoreland. (p. 289) [Top]

TYLER, H.N., was born in Hartford, Oneida county, N.Y., in 1850. He was educated at Whitestown Seminary, also studied medicine, and has practiced to some extent. His father, the late Dr. A.N. Tyler, was born at Rome, N.Y., in 1818, and there began his medical studies. He practiced first at Sauquoit five years, then came to New Hartford. He married Jennie M. Carpenter of a Vermont family. By his untiring devotion to his calling his practice soon became large, extending into adjoining towns, and for forty years this successful practitioner carried on his work, loved and honored for his uprightness of character and kindheartedness. His death in 1889 at seventy-four years of age was mourned by a large circle of friends. (p. 338-339) [Top]

TYLER, HENRY H., son of Dr. John Tyler, was born in the town of Lee, Oneida county, N. Y., August 1, 1831. Henry H. Tyler was educated in the schools of Rome, attending the first school term organized in the Rome Academy. He engaged in mechanical business for a number of years, then turned his attention to farming, at which he has since continued. In politics Mr. Tyler has been an independent Republican. Mr. Tyler is a successful well known farmer in the town of Westmoreland where he resides, and his place is noticeable for its tasteful and attractive appearance. He married Elizabeth A. Stevens, by whom he had four sons: Bayard H., who is an artist in Yonkers, N. Y.; Fred A., who is a member of the Pease Furnace Co. of Syracuse, N. Y.; C. Edwin, connected with the mercantile business in Rome; and Jesse S., who is at the homestead farm. Mrs. Elizabeth A. Tyler, his wife, died in 1886, and he is now married to Mrs. E. F. Terpening of Westmoreland. His father, Dr. John Tyler, was a prominent physician of Rome for many years. He died at the age of sixty-three. Asa P. Tyler, the grandfather of Henry H. Tyler, was born in Massachusetts, and was one of the earliest settlers in Rome, there being but five houses where the city of Utica, now stands at the time of his settling in Rome. At a little later date the territory where Rome now stands was sold at auction at Johnstown for taxes at $1.00 per acre. (p. 280-281) [Top]