VAN AUKEN, MYRON W., was born on a farm in the town of Ira, Cayuga county, N.Y., June 6, 1852. He attended district schools, the Union Academy at Red Creek, N.Y., and Fairfield Seminary at Fairfield, N.Y., and then entered Cornell University, where he took a classical course of four years and received the degree of A.B. Subsequently he was graduated from the Albany Law School, where the degree of LL.B. was conferred upon him. In 1875 he began the practice of law in Utica, where he has ever since followed his profession. He has twice held the office of corporation counsel of Utica, and was once the nominee of his party for the office of district attorney of Oneida county. He is the general attorney for many of the corporations and large business firms of the city. He is a director and an officer or member of business corporations, and is active in every movement that tends to the development and prosperity of the city and the welfare of the community. In 1889 he was a member of a committee of nine appointed to select a suitable site for a Home to be established by the Masonic fraternity of the State of New York for indigent Masons, their wives, widows and orphans. Through his efforts, after an exciting competition with other cities, and after a prolonged struggle, the site was located in Utica, in which there has since been erected one main building costing $200,000, and a building for children costing $50,000, and numerous other buildings will follow to carry out the noble charity of this beneficent fraternity. Mr. Van Auken is one of the foremost Masons as well as one of the leading lawyers of Utica, and it was mainly through his untiring efforts and personal support that the Masonic Home was secured for the city. (p. 339-340) [Top]

VAN BUSKIRK, MARCUS, was born in Western, December 11, 1829, son of John and Catherine (Casler) Van Buskirk. His paternal grandfather, Lawrence Van Buskirk, of Holland Dutch descent, was among the pioneers of Floyd, Oneida county, where he engaged in farming and where he died. His maternal grandfather, Marcus Casler, was a pioneer farmer and blacksmith of Western. John Van Buskirk, father of Marcus, was a native of Floyd, and in early manhood settled in Western, cleared a farm, and assisted in building the Black River Canal. He was for several years prominently identified with the quarry interest of the county, being superintendent of several stone quarries, and lived for many years on what is now known as the Stephen Rogers farm. His children were Marcus, Martha (Mrs. William Norton), and Martin. Marcus Van Buskirk was reared in Western, where he has always resided. He followed boating on the canal for twenty-five years, and has since been engaged in farming. March 28, 1850, he married Hannah, daughter of William and Phoebe (Brooks) Whipple, pioneers of Steuben, by whom he had two children (twins): Henry T. and Helen H., both deceased. Mrs. Van Buskirk is a member of the M. E. church. Mr. Van Buskirk is a Democrat in politics, and has been commissioner of highways two years. (p. 60) [Top]

VANDAWALKER, MILTON, was born in Western, November 8, 1843, son of Abram and Lucinda (Neaskern) Vandawalker, both natives of Oneida county. His paternal grandfather, John A. Vandawalker, formerly of Schoharie county, N.Y., was a pioneer farmer of Western, where he lived and died. His maternal grandparents, Henry and Nancy (Putnam) Neaskern, formerly of Schoharie county, N.Y., were pioneers of Augusta, Oneida county. Abram Vandawalker spent all his life in Western, where he engaged in farming, and cleared and improved the farm now occupied by his son, where he died. His children were Cordelia (Mrs. Charles Wesley Teachout), Jane (Mrs. John Betzinger), Milton, and Caroline (Mrs. David Paddock). Milton Vandawalker was reared on the old homestead, where he has always resided. He received a common school education, and has always followed farming as an occupation. In 1879 he married Nettie, daughter of James and Susan (Eddick) Paddock, of Steuben, by whom he has one daughter, Susie N. In politics Mr. Vandawalker is a Republican. (p. 31) [Top]

VANDERHOOF, THOMAS J., was born in the town of Floyd January 25, 1837, son of Nathaniel and Susan (Soule) Vanderhoof, who was born in Wellstown in 1805, whose father came from Vermont and was a soldier in the war of 1812. Nathaniel settled in Oneida county in 1830; he had five children; Frances, Catherine, Thomas J., Mary E. and Nathaniel jr. Nathaniel Vanderhoof sr. was a captain of artillery in the State militia, and Francis was a drummer. Nathaniel sr. was engaged in farming and also worked at weaving and shoemaking and was commissioner for many years. Nathaniel jr. was first corporal in Co. B, in the Fifth Oneida, 146th Regt., and after several engagements in battle was wounded and died in the hospital at Falmouth May 16, 1863. Thomas J. married Sarah A., daughter of Austin and Malinda Nutt, by whom he has two children; Olive and Mary, and one Henrietta, deceased. He engaged in farming at twenty-seven years of age, and is active in town and educational affairs. (p. 45) [Top]

VANDERZEE, H.B., was born at Schodack, N. Y., in 1855, one of three children of Mathias and Katherine (Marble) Vanderzee, and is a descendant of a Dutch family whose lineage is traced to Holland. He received his education in the Troy Business College and his first business engagement was in the woolen mills at that place. He has been a resident of New Hartford since 1888, and assistant superintendent two years on the Belt Line, having served several years as conductor and also as motorman for a time. Fifteen years ago he married Maggie Boyle of Yorkville, by whom he has one son, George, aged eleven years. Mr. Vanderzee is an honorary member of Troy Fire Department. (p. 257-258) [Top]

VAN DRESAR, FRANCIS, was born in Western, August 23, 1838, a son of Ezra and Mary J. (Steward) Van Dresar. His paternal grandfather, Jacob Van Dresar, was a resident of Western, a son of James Van Dresar of Holland Dutch descent and a pioneer of Western. Jacob Van Dresar's wife was Peggy Clark, daughter of Matthew Clark, of Irish parentage, a soldier of the Revolution, and pioneer of Western. The great-great grandfather, Thomas Selden, participated in the war of the Revolution, and also the French war, and was among the first to form the first religious society in Rome, Oneida county. Ezra Van Dresar was a life-long resident of Western and a prominent and successful farmer. Francis Van Dresar was reared in Western, where he has always resided and now owns and occupies the old homestead of 167 acres, and is a prominent and enterprising farmer. In 1859, he married Rose Ellen, daughter of Alexander and Ester (Boyd) Bowman, of Rome, by whom he has seven children living: Ann ( Mrs. Charles W. Mason), Frank E., Jane, Ezra, Alexander, Maria (Mrs. Will E. Stone), and Ruth. Mr. Van Dresar was a soldier in the late Civil war, enlisting August 12, 1862, in Co. D, 117th N. Y. Vols., was wounded in the right foot at the battle of Chapin's Farm, near Fort Gilmore, September 29, 1864, and was honorable discharged from the service July 8, 1865. He is a member of the M. E. church, and in politics is a staunch high tariff Republican. He was in every engagement of the regiment up to September 29, 1864, never applied for a pension, and never joined any secret oath bound lodge, believing such to be detrimental to the free institutions of America, and not in harmony with the teaching of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (p. 32) [Top]

VAN DRESAR, STEWARD, was born in Western April 12, 1844, son of Ezra and Mary J. (Steward) Van Dresar, both natives of Western. His paternal grandfather, Jacob Van Dresar, was a resident of Western, and son of James Van Dresar, one of the pioneers of Western, and of Holland Dutch descent. His maternal grandfather, Jonathan Steward, of Scotch parentage, was also one of the first settlers of Western. Ezra Van Dresar, father of Steward, was born November 30, 1814, and died in Western, January 23, 1892. He was a successful and prosperous farmer and accumulate a competency. His children were Francis and Steward. Steward Van Dresar was educated in the common schools and Whitestown Seminary. He began life as a teacher, teaching eleven winters in succession, farming summers, and is now one of the leading farmers of Western. April 6, 1876, he married Cornelia, daughter of Levi and Adelaide (Van Vorhis) Crill, of Western, by whom he has one son, Arthur. Mr. Van Dresar is a member of the M. E. church, of which he is trustee, and is also a member of the P. of I, and politically is a Republican. (p. 32) [Top]

VAN EVERA, VIRGIL E., was born in Knoxboro, N. Y. September 20, 1851, and has been identified with many interests in the village. His father, Philemon Van Evera, came from Montgomery county, and settled in Knoxboro in 1848. He was born December 15, 1825, and for thirty years, after taking up his residence in this place carried on a boot and shoe establishment. He gradually developed an extensive business in that line of goods, at that time purchasing the Howard House, which he conducted for several years, and retired about two years ago. His wife, Olivia Shepard, was born in Canada, February 25, 1826, and died at Knoxboro, April 26, 1869. After receiving his education at Knoxboro and Augusta Academy, Virgil E. at once entered his father's establishment, and continued actively there for ten years, when he bought the interest of H. P. Pond, his father's partner, and with his father conducted the business for five years. Business having prospered, he became sole proprietor, buying his father's interest in the stock, and enlarged the business opening a general store on a larger scale. He then conducted it for a period of nine years, when he sold to M. F. Smith & Sons, and entered into partnership with his father in the Van Evera House, the name having been changed from Howard House, and he is now conducting the house alone, and the hotel has a history dating back for more than seventy years. He married Ella A. Lewis, a native of Knoxboro, who was born February 24, 1854, by whom he has two daughters; Lena O. born August 17, 1876, and Floy R. born September 1, 1877 (p. 78-79) [Top]

VAN HATTEN, MICHAEL, was born in France, May 10, 1828, son of Lewis and Mary A. Van Hatten, who settled in the town of Deerfield, Oneida county, in the fall of 1832, and whose children were Michael, Lewis, Mary Ann, Charles, Delia, John, Magdalane, and Francis. Lewis Van Hatten was engaged in farming and was actively interested in both church and educational affairs and was much respected by all his acquaintances. Michael Van Hatten settled in the town of Marcy in 1852, married Maria R. Hersdel by whom he had ten children: Frances R., wife of John Eaton, Francis L. (deceased), Francis M., Mary L., wife of George Kunkel, Jeanie M., wife of Fred M. Seavy, George E., Lewis A., Annie V., Charles L., and Clara E. In early life Mr. Van Hatten was engaged in farming and school teaching, later years in farming, saw mill and as auctioneer. He was supervisor in 1866 and 1867, and has been highway commissioner for many years, letting the contract for the first stone bridge that was built in Marcy in the year 1857; also built the first stone road in said town in 1881-2, and has held several minor offices. (p. 48) [Top]

VAN HORNE, NICHOLAS, was born in the town of Stark, Herkimer county, N. Y., April 14, 1854, son of Walter and Eliza VanHorne, who are residents of Herkimer county, N. Y., He married Ida Countryman of Poland, Herkimer, N. Y., December 18, 1878, daughter of John I and Elizabeth Countryman, and they have two children: Leda E., and Victor C. Van Horne. He first engaged in the cheese business in Salisbury Corners, Herkimer county, NY in 1876; has since worked at Van Hornesville and the town of Ohio, Herkimer county, and in the town of Avoca, Steuben county, NY, and located permanently at North Bay, town of Vienna, Oneida county, NY in 1880, buying the cheese factory at that place in 1881, and has for the last twelve years been salesman and treasurer of the factory and in 1883 was elected collector of the town on the Republican ticket of which party he belongs, and for the last four years has bought cheese for the export trade, and on May 10, 1895, he passed the Civil Service examination at Albany and on July 15, 1895 was appointed milk expert and agent of the agricultural department and he is a member of Vienna Lodge No. 440, F. & A. M. (p. 32) [Top]

VANSIZE, HIBBARD K., is a son of Ebenezer H. Vansize and was born in Utica, June 20, 1865. The family is of Holland Dutch descent, among the colonial settlers of New York (then Manhattan), and originally rendered the name Van Seysen, Seys, Seize, Sice, and Sise. Joseph Van Sice (or Seysen), an armorer and gunsmith, lived in Schenectady in 1735. He married Helena Magdaline, daughter of Jan Vrooman, and from them descended (1) Johannes, born 1726, (2) Simon, born 1765, and Teunis, born January 9, 1792. The latter married, March 22, 1821, Eunice, daughter of Eunice and Ebenezer Hebard, who was born April 20, 1797, and who died September,5, 1868. She was a granddaughter of Abigail (Huntington) Kimball, whose brother Samuel was a signer of Declaration of Independence, a governor of Connecticut, and president of Congress. Her father was a Revolutionary soldier. Teunis Vansize came to Utica in 1826 and died June 8, 1859. He was first a school teacher, built and conducted the Oneida brewery, and later had a grocery store on the corner of Genesee and Devereux streets, the firm being T. Vansize & Son. His only child, Ebenezer H. Vansize, was born in Johnstown, N. Y., January 10, 1822, became a partner and finally the successor of his father in Utica, died April 17, 1893. August 26, 1845, he married Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Isaac S. and Alva (Merwin) Baldwin, of Durham, Conn., and who survives him. They had two children: William Baldwin Vansize, a patent lawyer of New York city, and Hibbard K., of Utica. The latter was educated in the public schools and academy of his native city, and in 1881 entered the Oneida National Bank as a clerk, where he rose by gradation to the position of teller, to which he was appointed in January, 1887. December 8. 1887, he married Cora May, daughter of Edward R. Norton, of Utica, and they have one daughter, Mary Mildred. (p. 188) [Top]

VAN SLYKE, JOHN P., was born in Herkimer county, August 29, 1843. His father, Emanual Van Slyke, was boyn in 1814, and was a farmer. He came to Westmoreland from Clinton in 1859. He married Catherine Helmer, by whom he had four sons: Emanual, Gladden, Sidney and John P., who was educated in the district schools of Herkimer and Clinton, and is now one of the best known farmers of Westmoreland. (p. 291) [Top]

VAN SWALL, PERNETT, was born near Vernon Center, N. Y., in 1854, being the second in a family of five children. His father, George W. Van Swall, is a leading farmer of the town of Vernon. He was born in the town of Westmoreland, and lived several years in the town of Marshall, previous to locating in Vernon, and his father, John Van Swall, came from Albany, and was one of the early settlers in Oneida county, and the parents of the elder Van Swall were natives of Germany. George W. Van Swall married Delia M. Chesbro, a native of the town of Marshall, who is still living at Vernon Center. Pernett received his education at Vernon Center, after which he worked on his father's farm until he was twenty-three years of age, when he engaged in the meat business at Vernon Center for considerable time; and finally running the grist and saw mill at that place, they having come into his possession. He discontinued the meat business, and for the next six years, conducted the two mills mentioned. In 1894 he sold the mill property and rented the hotel at Lowell, N. Y., taking possession January 1, 1895. He is an active Republican, and has held several town offices. He has one son, HawLey H., who was born in 1880. (p. 233) [Top]

VAN WAGENEN, LEWIS B., was born in Lee, Oneida county, November 3, 1829, a son of Wessel B. and Lucy (Husted) Van Wagenen. His paternal grandfather, James Van Wagenen, a native of Johnstown, N.Y., settled with his family in the town of Lee in 1815. He was a blacksmith by trade, making edge tools, scythes, etc., for the pioneers. In later life he removed to Oil Creek, Pa., where died. His paternal grandfather, Peter Husted, was a pioneer of Lee and Western, who died on the farm in Western now occupied by our subject. Wessel B. Van Wagenen, father of Lewis B., was born in Johnstown, N. Y., July 9, 1802, came to Lee with his parents in 1815, and with the exception of ten years spent in Chautauqua county, N. Y., has always resided in Oneida county, has lived in Camden twenty years, and has always followed farming as an occupation. In early life he was captain of the militia in the town of Lee for many years. Lewis B. Van Wagenen was reared in Lee and educated in the common and select schools. He has been more or less engaged in farming all his life, and since 1877 has been engaged as agent of the Farmers' Fire and Lightning Insurance Co., of Oneida, N. Y., of which he and the late Israel White, of Western, were the founders, and which has been a success from the start. January 18, 1859, Mr. Van Wagenen married Ann, daughter of Thomas McMullen, of Western, by whom he has six children: Leonora, Edwin, Grant, Julia, Herbert, and Edith. (p. 164-165) [Top]

VARY, GIDEON, was born in the town of Stephentown, Rensselaer county, N. Y., December 29, 1824, son of Nathan and Phoebe (Carrier) Vary. His grandfather, Samuel Vary, settled in Dutchess county, prior to the Revolutionary War, and emigrated to Rensselaer county; and his grandfather, Amasiah Carrier, was also a pioneer in Rensselaer county. Nathan Vary came to Oneida county in 1840. He was a Federalist, and voted for Washington; and later a Whig, and voted for Henry Clay. He died in 1850. Gideon Vary has always been succesfully engaged in farming. He bought and cleared twelve acres and has added to it, until he had 500 acres, 100 acres of which he sold in 1894. He is a Republican and has been justice for twenty-four years, and supervisor of Ava for two years. In 1846 Mr. Vary married Jane, daughter of Daniel E. Edgerton of Ava, who died in 1893, and he is now married to Erminie Leader of Utica, N. Y. He has reared and educated two sons of his brother Samuel, who died in Michigan: Nathan C., who is engaged in farming in Ava, and Ezra, who was for twelve years teller of the Farmer's Bank in Rome, N. Y., and now a manufacturer of knit goods at Rome. Mr. Vary is a member of the Baron Steuben Lodge No. 264, F. & A. M. (p. 31) [Top]

VOLLMAR, JACOB, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1840. In 1850 his father, Philip Vollmar, came to America, and was a pioneer settler of Oneida county. He built a log house about five miles east of Boonville, and there reared his five children. Jacob Vollmar was educated at the common school in Utica. He was first engaged in the lumber business for George Anderson, of Hawkinsville, where he remained for twelve years. In 1872 he came to Boonville and opened a retail clothing store on Main street; a year later he bought out E. P. Thomas, and in 1883 purchased his present place. In 1869 Mr. Vollmar married Sarah Kahl, of Hawkinsville, who is of French descent, by whom he has three children: Eda B., Henry J., and George E. (deceased). Mr. Vollmar is a Democrat, a member of the Board of Education, and also a member of the German Lutheran church. (p. 178-179) [Top]