YAGER, HELEN.--The late Luther E. Yager was born in the town of Vienna, May 14, 1849. He was educated in the public schools, and was a farmer by occupation. He was in the late war as drummer boy, and bugler in the cavalry branch of the service, and was honorably discharged from the service. May 7, 1867, he married Helen Suits, of the town of Verona, by whom he had one son, Burton E., who is a farmer on the homestead with his mother. December 7, 1888, he married Alice W. Spavin of this town, by whom he had two children: Luther E. and Flossie P. Mr. Yager died March 2, 1881. Mrs. Yager's father, Christopher Suits, was born in Stone Arabia, Montgomery county, N.Y., October 19, 1812, and came here with his parents when a child. March 19, 1844, he married Barbara Wagner, of this town formerly of France, by whom he had four children: Helen, Christopher, William H. and Mrs. Mary R. Kilts. Mr. Suits died September 6, 1886, and his wife December 12, 1888. The family have resided on this homestead since 1856. (p. 332-333) [Top]

YALE, J. PALMER, was born in Munnsville, Madison county, October 20, 1852, son of John and Sarah A. Yale. John Yale died October 4, 1884, and Sarah A., his wife, is still living at the advanced age of seventy-eight. J. Palmer Yale studied law for three years from 1876 to 1879 with S. H. Babcock of Utica. He then went to Wisconsin and engaged in farming until 1883, in which year he came to Waterville, and he resides on a farm that has been in the Yale family for seventy-five years. In 1883 Mr. Yale married Mary A. Carpenter, by whom he has two children; Isabelle and Charles. (p. 359) [Top]

YERDON, JAMES H., was born in the town of Boonville, N. Y., the son of John, who was born in Canajoharie, Montgomery county, in 1822, the youngest of four sons and five daughters born to Henry I. and Elizabeth (Castler) Yerdon. Henry I. was the son of John, great-grandfather of James H. of Mohawk Dutch ancestry, a soldier in the Revolutionary War, where he was badly wounded. He was a farmer by occupation, and spent his life in Montgomery county. Henry I. was a carpenter by trade and spent his last days in Boonville, living with his son John, where he died in 1858. His wife died in the town of Canajoharie, Montgomery county, in 1825. John, father of James H. came to Boonville in March, 1837, at the age of fifteen and worked in the lumber woods for his brother-in-law at $5.00 per month. Seven years later he purchased 100 acres of timber land and began lumbering and farming, and later added thereto until he owned 425 acres. He has also been engaged in the saw mill business, but since 1889 has been retired from the more active work, leasing his larger farm and conducting the smaller one. In 1846, he married Lovina, daughter of Jacob Bellinger, by whom he had four children: Mary E., Emma A. Jackson, James H. and Mrs. Addie Wollaber. James H. was born July 6, 1854, in a log house just a short distance north of the present house that marks the place, which was erected the same year that he was born, located five miles south of Boonville village on the west side of the Lansingkill and Black River Canal. Received a limited education in the common schools, assisting his father in lumbering and farming until he was twenty-one years of age. February 14, 1878, he married Alice C., daughter of George H. Wollaber, of Steuben, to which town he moved and engaged in farming. He owns 170 acres of land, and carries on general farming, but is especially interested in the breeding of Holstein-Friesian cattle. Mr. and Mrs. Yerdon are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, he having been Sunday school superintendent several seasons, trustee and steward. March 8, 1896, Mr. Yerdon was elected for a term of two years, to represent his town as supervisor. (p. 60) [Top]

YOUNG, GEORGE, was born in Clinton, N.Y., March 6, 1867, son of James B. and Isabella McLean Young. James B. was the general superintendent for the Clark Mills Co. until his death in 1871. George Young was educated in the public school of New York Mills after which he engaged in work in the mills, and then went into the office, where he worked up to the position of chief bookkeeper for the company, to which position he was appointed in 1890. He married Albertie Seelye, daughter of Ambrose G. Seelye of Westmoreland, N.Y., by whom he had two children: Mildred B. and Marjorie S. J. Mr. and Mrs. Young are members of the Presbyterian church of which Mr. Young is a clerk of the board of elders and secretary and treasurer of the board of trustees. (p. 121) [Top]

YOUNG, GEORGE A., was born in the town of Kirkland, December 13, 1825, son of William G. and Polly (Whitney) Young. His father was a builder, and he learned that trade, but engaged in farming forty-three years ago, and is still engaged in that occupation. In 1851 he married Irena A. Miller, by whom he has had five children. Mrs. Young's ancestors were among the early settlers in this town (Marshall), and her great-grandfather, Isaac Miller, came here in 1793. (p. 139) [Top]

YOUNG, ISRAEL W., was born in the town of Kirkland, Oneida county, October 17, 1831. He was educated in the public schools, and afterward taught school twenty-four years, but is now engaged in farming in Verona. August 19, 1854, he married Elizabeth A. Williams, of Glanmorganshire, Wales, England, who came with her mother to the United States when she was five years of age. They had four children: Helen A., Martha E., who died when twenty-four years of age, and Marcia, who died at eight years of age (twins), and Ella J., who died at nineteen years of age. Helen A. married M. G. Seymour, an M. E. clergyman, Mr. Young's father, John B., was born at the old home, August 30, 1807. He was educated in the schools of his day, and was a farmer by occupation. January 4, 1831, he married Aurelia Fuller, of the same town, by whom he had three children: Israel W., as above, Cynthia J., and Henry C. Mr. Young died June 13, 1892, and his widow resides with her son, Israel W. Mrs. Young's father, David Williams, was born at the old home in Wales. He married for his second wife, Bridget Saunders by whom he had seven children, one of whom was Elizabeth A. Her father died when she was four years of age, and her mother in 1854. Mr. Young's father, John B., was a colonel in the State militia, and Mr. Young himself was a captain in the same division at a later day. The family are members of the Presbyterian church, of which Mr. Young is one of the elders, also superintendent of the Sunday-school. (p. 159) [Top]

YOUNG, ROBERT GRANT, was born in New York Mills, Oneida County, June 26, 1849, the youngest of nine children of William and Jean (Buchanan) Young, who came to America from near Paisley, Scotland, about fifty-five years ago. Attending the common schools until the age of sixteen he began work for the New York Mills Co., in the weave room, leaving there four years later to take charge of the weaving department of the Clark's Mills Co., at Clarks Mills, New York. In January, 1872, he entered the employ of the Utica Cotton Co., at New Hartford and remained there over eight years. In 1880 he left New Hartford to engage in the Manufacturers' Supply business in Utica, but this not proving a success he again accepted his former position with the Utica Cotton Co., in New Hartford. March 15, 1889, he began work for the Utica Belt Line Street Railroad Co. as an engineer. Four months later he was made master mechanic of the company and held that position until October 1, when he assumed charge of the road as superintendent, being also a director, which position he still holds. He is a member of Faxton Lodge, F.& A.M., and of the Masonic Club, and in religion is a Presbyterian. He married, June 4, 1871, Anna Lillian Clark, eldest daughter of De Marcus and Mary E. (Walker) Clark, formerly of Elgin, Ill, but at that time residing at Clark's Mills, N.Y. Mrs. Young's ancestors came to this country from England among the first settlers here, and in religious faith are Episcopalians. They have three children living: Virginia May, Harold Clark, and Leslie Bernard. (p. 311) [Top]

YOUNG, THOMAS P., was born in Orange county, N.Y., December 18, 1818, son of Shaw and Hannah (Drummond) Young, natives of Norwalk, Conn. Mrs. Young lived to be 102 years of age. His grandfather, William Young, was from Northeast, Conn., and his grandmother was from Cape Cod, and was of old Puritan stock. Thomas P. Young came to the town of Marshall in 1834, and has resided on his present farm for forty-five years. In 1844 he married Mary Ann Millard, by whom he has two daughters: Mrs. Julius Day of Deansboro and Harriet Young. (p. 356) [Top]