History and Philosophy of Biology Resources
Assembled by Roberta L. Millstein
A directory devoted to cataloguing internet resources in the history and philosophy of biology,
intended primarily for academics and students of the subject.
Updates to this page are ongoing. Please send additions, suggestions, and corrections to Roberta Millstein at
Reference works useful for the history and philosophy of biology
- Historical figures:
- General history resources:
- Cartooning Evolution, 1861-1925 - contains about 200 cartoons
dealing with Darwin, evolution, and the Scopes Trial.
- Classics in the History of Psychology
- Codebreakers: Makers of Modern Genetics -
20 digitized collections, including the papers of Sydney Brenner, Francis Crick, the Eugenics Society, Rosalind Franklin, Hans Grüneberg, JBS Haldane,
Peter Medawar, Lionel Penrose, Guido Pontecorvo, Robert Race and Ruth Sanger, Frederick Sanger, James Watson... and more!
- Early Classics in Biogeography, Distribution, and Diversity Studies:
- Early Classics in Biogeography, Distribution, and Diversity Studies: 1951 to 1975
- Early Women Biochemists -
This website explores where, when and with whom women forged their careers in biochemistry, at a time when science – like politics – comprised a largely masculine sphere.
- Foundations of Classical Genetics - A collection of texts relating to the history of genetics and
inheritance, from Aristotle to the 1960s.
- Internet History of Science Sourcebook
- Some Biogeographers, Evolutionists and Ecologists: Chrono-Biographical Sketches
- Biology resources:
- 20 classic papers in evolution - from Mark Ridley's Evolution website
- Biodiversity Heritage Library - a consortium of natural history and botanical libraries
that cooperate to digitize and make accessible the legacy literature of biodiversity held in their collections and to make that literature
available for open access and responsible use as a part of a global “biodiversity commons.”
- A Companion to Developmental Biology, Eighth Edition, a textbook by Scott F. Gilbert
- The Embryo Project Encyclopedia
- Evolution, Third Edition, a textbook by Mark Ridley
- Faculty of 1000 Biology - online research service that highlights and reviews
papers published in the biological sciences, based on the recommendations of over 2300 faculty.
- Five Major Misconceptions about Evolution
- Perspectives on Molecular Evolution
- Population Biology, Evolution & Biomath Educational Index - Internet
Guide to Education-oriented Resources for Population Genetics, Population Ecology, Evolution, and Biomathematics
- Tree of Life Project - A collaborative effort of biologists from around the world to provide
information about the diversity of organisms on Earth, their evolutionary history (phylogeny), and characteristics.
- Relevant entries from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
—>> Back to table of contents