Concord High School
Alumni History 1842-1861



Date           Description        
1842

Concord's population reaches 5,000. Proposal to establish a high school is turned down in a district meeting vote.

1844

The Concord schools are made up of three distinct districts with three separate facilities all of them on State Street. District #9 &endash; at the corner of State and West Street; District #10 &endash; at the corner of State and School Street; and District #11- at the corner of State and Church Street.

1845

The State Legislature offers aid to local education by passing the High School Law &endash; permitting public taxation for schools (if voted in by communities).

1846

Concord adopts the High School Law and then votes to accept it, permitting the town to establish a high school and support it by public taxation.

1847

The first Concord High School is established … All high school aged students in Concord now attend the same building, the District #10 facility on the corner of State and School Street. This brick building measured 70'x 45' and housed elementary students on the first floor with the junior high/senior high students on the second floor. Hall Roberts is the first principal, and with a lady assistant, they are the teaching staff for the school's 75 pupils.

1851

The school year is 35 weeks long and divided up into three terms. School is in session six days a week, with morning classes only on Wednesday and Saturday

1853

District #9 implements the "graded system of schools," where students are classified more according to attainments rather than age. The other two districts conform to this idea the following year.

1855

Teacher Edmund Worth draw a salary of $176 to become one of the highest paid employees on the city's payroll.

1856

In an attempt to consolidate the three districts, the "Union School District" is established with a goal to unify the curriculum.

1857

High School reorganized with a more advanced course of study and a higher standard of preparation required for admission, making it a real high school.

1859

The "Board of Education" is adopted to "guard against sudden and entire changes of the city's Superintending Committee."

1860

Graduating class is the first to complete four years of study and first to receive diplomas. It consists of twelve girls.

1861

A second assistant is added to the high school faculty.




Bell School House circa 1846

 




1842-1861

1862-1900

1901-1925

1926-1950

1951-present



Please foreward history information by E-mail to:

Mike Royce - Class of 1962
MRR@RoyceFamily.com
(603) 224-3805



Web Master MRR@RoyceFamily.com (603) 224-3805