800 Years of Neuhof 1165 to 1965
Neuhof through the Ages.
About 1000 BC – During the Bronze Age the area about Neuhof was populated, that is people traveled through the region. A prehistoric path led from Fulda through Flieden to Schlüchtern. Only a few prehistoric artifacts have been found. Among them: A bronze sword from the area of the Steinklöschen east of Neuhof near Niederkalbach, and a bronze knife from a burial hill in the forest near the Bielandshöfen north of Neuhof.
806/07 AD – A gift to the Cloister Fulda in the “Mark Flieden”. About this time or soon there after the area of Neuhof also became part of the Kloister Fulda.
1011 – The area of Neuhof borders the lands under the stewardship of Grafen Lando. In the description of the borders of Neuhof, Kalbach and Flieden are named.
1012 – The area of Neuhof is in the southeast of the wild area of “Zunderhart”. King Henry II recognized it as belonging to the Cloister Fulda.
1165 – Ellers, today a part of Neuhof, is mentioned in the documents. Prince Abbott Marquard I from Fulda determines who from the village may be treated at the hospital he founded in Fulda. Ellers – “elderiches” = settlement of Alderich. 1468 elderichs,
1496 ellers, Ellers belongs to the civil administration of Fulda and the Parish of Flieden.
1239 – Neuhof, in particular the part known as Neustadt is mentioned for the first time in documents. The brothers Albert and Heinrich from Neuhof sell goods in Harmerz to the provost of Johannesberg.
“nova curia” = neuer Hof. 1282 neuenhove, 1294 neuenhov, 1329 nuwenhof,
1330 nuwehof, 1363 nüwenhoffe, 1487 neuenhof, 1528 newenhoff.
Further mention of the nobels of Neuhof (de nova curia) include: Albert of Neuhof 1241, 1243, 1257, and 1258. Heinrich and Witigo of Neuhof 1245. Wolfram and his son Heinrich of Neuhof 1282.
About 1250 the Prince Abbott of Fulda, Heinrich IV von Erthal (1249 to 1261) fortified the Castle at Neuhof with new walls, moats, and fences. It is therefore assumed that a water castle existed prior to this.
The castle becomes the focal point for the ruling district of the old court of Flieden.
1241 – The settlement “Luzes” near Ellers is mentioned. 1370 still inhabited (“Luths”) Wilderness in the Luzehollow west of Ellers in the area of todays salt mine.
1282 – Neustadt, today a residential area of Neuhof, is first mentioned in official documents: The dean Berthold von Johannesberg buys goods in Neustadt from Wolfram von Neuhof.
“in nova civitate” = in the new city. 1487 neuenstadt.
1294 – King Adolf hands over the castle in Neuhof to count Ulrich von Hanau to hold in trust for the Highness of Fulda.
1305 – The prince Abbott of Fulda Heinrich V. von Weilnau builds the castle chapel in Neuhof. It belongs to the parish of Flieden and is consecrated to the roman martyrs John and Paul.
1308 – Prince Abbott Heinrich V. traded with Ludwig von Frankenstein the castle Neuhof for the castle Lengfeld. He reserved for himelf the right of patronage and lodging.
1317 – Prince Abbott VI. Von Hohenberg gains the return of the castle Neuhof in a peace treaty with Ludwig von Frankenstein.
1326 – Opperz, today a residential section of Neuhof , is mentioned for the first time in an official document. It belongs to the Prince Abbott of Fulda.
“moprechts” = Siedlung des Odprecht. 1330 opprets, 1442 opprechts, 1553 opperts.
1329 – The castle chapel is administered by a curate. Prince Abbott Henry VI. transfers real estate at Selhes (Seeleshof near Spahl) and half of a mill at Ried to the chapel curator with the stipulation that he will say a daily mass for the deceased priest at Flieden, Hermann von Ritz, who had given the Abbott 260 pound Heller (dollars) for this purpose.
1330 – A chaplain (Vicar) Johannes Sliche is mentioned by name. Also in 1333 and 1339. He is the first known spiritual advisor for the parish at Neuhof. Prince Abbott Heinrich VI sells to Apel and Dietrich von Kuechenmeister