HudsonJet.net

Return to HudsonJet.net Homepage

History of Hudson Dealerships

The dealer network during the step-down era was said to be 3000 dealers strong... The dealership section is not only dedicated to the dealerships of the Jet years, but all known Hudson dealerships.


UNITED STATES

OTHER COUNTRIES




DELAWARE

Delmar, DE:
S.H. Whayland. Circa 1917?

Middletown, DE:
Hall Motor Company
Hall Motor Company, 51 W. Main Street, Middletown, DE. Ad circa 1947.

Wilmington, DE:
Bradford Co., Address Unknown. Circa 1910.
Gomery-Schwartz Co., 1011 Orange Street. Dealership mentioned in June 20, 1914 Hudson Triangle.


FLORIDA

Bradenton, FL:
Hanchett Hudson Motors
Hanchett Hudson Motors, 1014 9th St W, Bradenton, FL. In photo, H.L. Hanchett, dealer, don't know which to admire more, the Jet or Mrs. Judy Brock, a Mrs. Florida contestant in the [1953?] Palmetto, Florida Home Show. Building established in 1928. Now home to Motorworks Brewing.

Coral Gables, FL:
Coral Gables Garage
Coral Gables Garage, 242 Alhambra Plaza. Built for the Hudson Motor Car Co. circa 1925, it later became Loffler Brothers Oyster House and then New England Oyster House.

Daytona Beach, FL:
Guide Motors
Guide Motors, 849 Ballough Rd., Dealer Name: Joe Guide. In business during stepdown years. Featured in May/June 2007 WTN articl "Joe Guide, Hudson Racer".

Daytona Beach, FL:
Hudson Beach Garage,Inc., 27 North Atlantic Ave., Telephone 2-2562, Unknown years of operation.

Deland, FL:
Jacobs Motor Service
Jacobs Motor Service, 339 North Woodland Boulevard. Dealer Name: Lincoln L. Jacobs. Was later at 501 S. Woodland Blvd. Advertisement appeared in 1949 Stetson University yearbook, and later a rambler ad in 1963 yearbook. Orlando Sentinel of September 29, 1993 shared that Lincoln L. "Linc" Jacobs, 81, died Tuesday, Sept. 28 [1993]. Mr. Jacobs was owner/operator of Jacobs Motor Service.

Homestead, FL:
Homestead Florida
Unknown Hudson Dealership, Homestead, FL. Photo circa 1926, probably by Carl Turnage. Looking south on Krome Avenue Homestead, FL:
from just above first street. On the left are the Hudson and Essex auto dealership, the City Hall and the Home Building. On the right are the Citizens Bank Building and Doc Crow’s Seminole Pharmacy. The facade of the Seminole Theatre is very distinctive. Further on are the Homestead Mercantile and Bank of Homestead Buildings. Note the interesting shape of the Hudson sign.

Miami, FL:
Dixie Hudson Inc., 12700 W. Dixie Highway. Per 12-14-53 Automotive News, Gene Hawkins and Paul Ashburn established a Hudson dealership in North Miami, the first in that community.

Miami, FL:
Hudson of South Florida
Hudson of South Florida, Inc., Miami, FL. Photo from 1953 Motor magazine ad.

Miami, FL:
Hudson Trail Motors
Hudson Trail Motors, 1305 SW 8th St, Miami, FL. Ad circa 01/05/54.

Pensacola, FL:
Robert Brackett
Robert Brackett, at left, discusses profitable Hudson franchise with J.C. Clem, at right, Hudson Memphis Zone Manager. Robert Brackett inherited his Hudson franchise from his father, who was a dealer since 1928. Says Brackett [in December 1953 Hudson Dealer News], "My dad prospered immediately and was able to survive the despression years following and as a consequence we are the oldest independent dealer in Pensacola. I value the Hudson franchise because there are no trucks to sell. We're not under factory pressure to stck parts and accessories beyond what can be reasonably sold and thanks to the Jet, we cover 94% of the retail market."

St Petersburg, FL:
Nichols Bros
Nichols Bros, St. Petersburg, FL. Photo circa 1948, appeared in Nov/Dec 1977 WTN.

Tallahassee, FL:
Cordell-Turaville Motors
Cordell-Turaville Motors, 1200 N. Monroe St., Tallahassee, FL. Displaying Packard Clipper and Hudson automobiles. Click here to read an Antique Automobile Club of America newsletter article on this dealership!

Cordell-Turaville Motors Showroom
Cordell-Turaville Motors Showroom, 1200 N. Monroe St., Tallahassee, FL.

Unknown, Florida:
Peerless Motors
Peerless Motors, Address Unknown


GEORGIA

Albany, GA:
The Huckabee Auto Co. (1923 Automobile Blue Book (touring guide)-Southeastern States edition)

Atlanta, GA:
South Side Motors
Southside Motors Inc., Wilt Hollums dealer, 1224-30 N. Main, 1947-1949

Atlanta, GA:
Goldsmith, Inc.
J.W. Goldsmith, Inc., 486 West Peachtree Street NW, Atlanta, GA. In business from 1909 to 1954, it was second in sales behind Courtesy Motors in Chicago, and was dubbed America's Oldest Hudson Dealership. In 1953, top NASCAR drivers Tim and Fonty Flock became salesman at this dealership. The Goldsmith facility was bought by Downing Nash, Inc. in early 1954. They were also located at 46 E. North Ave at some point?

Other dealerships in Atlanta, GA included:
Bill Thornton, Inc., 1351 Bankhead AVe NW. NW. Bill Thornton operated "Georgia's Last Hudson Dealer" from 1955-57. Featured in Sept/Oct 2007 WTN on page 18. Went on to become Thornton Chevrolet, now run by Bill's son John.

Augusta, GA:
Audley Hill Auto Sales
Audley Hill Auto Sales Company, Dealer Name: Audley Hill, Jr. Featured in The Hudson Triangle Vol. 5 No. 48 from May 27, 1916

Thomaston, GA:
Currie Motor Company
Currie Motor Company, Dealer Name: John Currie. Sold Pontiac, Hudson, and Terraplane automobiles during at least 1938.


HAWAII

Honolulu, HI:
Motor Supply
Motor Supply, Kapiolani Blvd., Honolulu
Motor Supply started as a tire store and auto parts supply house in 1937. They started selling Nashes and Hudsons after World War II. The company expanded further down the street in 1952 and built a distinctive showroom modeled on the faux tiki A-frame architecture popular at the time. Motor Supply consolidated its business at 1391 Kapiolani Blvd. in the late 1950s under the Rambler brand. 1391 Kapiolani Blvd may have housed Cutter Chevrolet before it moved to its current location.

Von Hamm Young
Von Hamm Young Co, 818 Kapiolani Blvd., Honolulu, HI

Von Hamm Young
The reverse side of the Von Hamm Young dealership photo shares an optimistic future for the dealership. This location is now home to a Mercedez-Benz dealership.


IDAHO

Bonners Ferry, ID:
Bonners Ferry Imp. Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)

Coeur d'Alene, ID:
Central Motors
Central Motors
The above photo shows the south side of the 200 block of Sherman Ave. in 1954. Yes, that's a Hudson Automobile dealership (was the Buick a used car?) and Texaco gas station, located roughly where Tito Macoroni's is today. Click here for more pictures.

Coeur d'Alene, ID:
MacDonald & Ostrum (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)

Kellogg, ID:
White & Bursch (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)

Lewiston, ID:
City Service Garage (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)

Lewiston, ID:
Lewiston Hudson Essex Co
Lewiston Hudson Essex Co, 134 Ninth Street, Lewiston, ID>

Moscow, ID:
Brody Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)

Orofino, ID:
Orofine Motor Sales (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)

Wallace, ID:
Walter J. Frank (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)


ILLINOIS

Alton, IL:
Gent Major Motor Co. (Per 4/19/36 St. Louis Dispatch.)
Holloway Motors, Inc., 516 Belle (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.) A 1950 Car Show brochure has the location as 2726 East Broadway.

Aurora, IL:
Coats Garage
Coats Garage, 56 S. LaSalle St. Aurora, IL. Coats Garage “was the first automobile sales and service building built in the LaSalle Street Auto Row Historic District specifically for this use. Constructed in 1907, it still features the original elevator that transports cars to the second and third floors for storage and servicing. Coat’s line of cars in 1912 included Chalmers, E.M.F., Hudson, and Flanders. It was constructed with large “I” beams that span the width of the building, providing a large open space without columns for the display of automobiles. The current owner indicated that 30 modern cars can be stored on each floor.” Click here for more information on Aurora's auto row. Better yet, participate in events on Auto Row!

Aurora, IL:
Crowe Motor Sales (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Barrington, IL:
Barrington Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Belleville, IL:
Edward Mutto Auto Sales
Edward Mutto Auto Sales, Inc., 517-19 S. Illinois St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51, also seen in 1950 Car Show brochure.)

Belleville, IL:
Oscar H. Seibel (Per 4/19/36 St. Louis Dispatch.)

Berwyn, IL:
Maple Motor Sales
Maple Motor Sales, Berwyn, IL. The building had 12,562 sq. feet of new car, service and showroom area in the southwestern suburbs of Chicago. Richard Mazzuca, general manager of this dealership declares [in December 1953 Hudson Dealer News], "My partner, Peter Carrara and I were former Hudson salesmen. We believe Hudson to be the finest road car ever built. We believe that the Jet will bring us the business of many economy minded people. That's why we choose hudson and we believe that aggressive merchandising is going to pay off. We're not araid of the future. That's why we invested our money in a Hudson dealership. We've six salesmen on the selling team and we're doing good business."

Carlyle, IL:
Rohr Motor Sales, 2171 Franklin (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Carmi, IL:
Pool Motor Co., 105 West Cherry St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Champaign, IL:
Worden-Martin, Inc.
Worden-Martin, Inc., 6 E. Springfield, Champaign, IL. Dealer Names: L.R. Worden and Howard R. Martin. They opened for business in 1948 and are still in business today at 100 and 300 Carriage Center Court, check out their website!

Champaign, IL:
Urbana Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Chebanse, IL:
A. R. Nordmeyer (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Chicago, IL:
Courtesy Motors
Courtesy Motors, Chicago, IL. Dealership of Jim Moran. Click here to view more pictures and history of this dealership!

Chicago, IL:
Hudson Motor Co. of Illinois
Hudson Motor Co. of Illinois, Distributer, 2220 to 2230 Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL: Construction on the Spanish Revival building started 07/01/1922. The architect was yet again Alfred Samuel Alschuler. 1928 showroom for Hudson automobiles, which survived until 1950. J. R. Hirsted was the manager. It was quite up to date with pnuematic tubes and speakers for communication. It was Ray Motors, Inc. before and after the war. You may be interested in viewing circa 2009 photos of this building on a Motor Row District blog or other buildings on this street.

Chicago, IL:
Inland Auto Sales
Inland Auto Sales, 8948 Commerical Ave., Chicago, IL. Postcard circa 1925.

Chicago, IL:
Lester O. Holmes
Lester O. Holmes Back of photo reads "As lot appeared before installation of litho-paint poster company's used car display service".

Chicago, IL:
Logan Motor Sales
Logan Motor Sales, 2550 No. Western Ave., Chicago, IL. Postcard circa 1941.

Chicago, IL:
Louis Geyler Company
Louis Geyler Company, 2550 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL. Click here for more pictures!

Chicago, IL:
O'Donnell Motor Sales, Inc.
O'Donnell Motor Sales, Inc., 7518 Stony Island Ave. (Also found in Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.). O'Donnell later took on Cherry?

Chicago, IL:
Stratford Motors Sales Co
Stratford Motors Sales Co., 6739 S. Western Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again
     2/16 thru 2/24/52.)

Midway Building
Unknown Hudson Essex Dealer, located in the Midway Building, 6054 Cottage Grove Avenue, Chicago, IL
Alfred Samuel Alschuler (1876-1940) was the architect for this building. It was constructed in 1923. It has been demolished. Click here for more information and pictures!

Other dealerships in Chicago, IL included:
Austin Motor Sales Inc, 5518-26 W. Division St. Possibley 1950's?
Christopher Motor sales Co., 5045 Broadway (Per 3/31/22 Chicago Evening Post.)
Kelly Motor Car Co., 3948 North Robey Street (Per 3/31/22 Chicago Evening Post.)
North Side Motors Co., 924 Sheridan Rd. (Per 3/31/22 Chicago Evening Post.)
Unknown Dealership, 8027 Ogden Ave. Until late 1930's? Click here for more information.

Chicago [Automobile Show], IL (From program, 2/17 thru 2/25/51):
A & D Motor Sales, Inc., 5035 Cottage Grove Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again
     2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Art Johnston Motors, Inc., 34 W. 103rd St. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Beverly Motors, Inc., 9425 S. Ashland Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Birch Motors, 6701 Ogden Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Bunnin Hudson, Inc., 5137 N. Broadway
Butler Motors, Inc. (Distributor), Sales and General Office at 2500 S. Michigan and Service and Parts at 2459 S. Indiana Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
C.H. Johnson Motor Sales, 4216 W. Irving Park Rd. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
"Doc" Clayton Motors, Inc., 316 W. Madison, Oak Park (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again
     2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Courtesy Motor Sales, Inc., 3567 W. Grand Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Curtis Motors, 7406 S. Halsted St.
Dabe & Blake Motors, Inc., 6147 N. Western AVe.
Felz Motor Sales, Inc., 1132 Diversey Parkway (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Fohrman Motors, Inc., 2700 W. Madison St. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Harrington Motors, Inc., 1030 Davis St., Evanston (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51)
     then 535 Chicago Ave., Evanston (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Hudson Sales Corporation, 2900 N. Western Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again
     2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Logan Square Hudson, Inc., 2524 Milwaukee Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again
     2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
M B Auto Sales, Inc., 8019 Cottage Grove Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Ray Motors, 2222 S. Michigan Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Sabaini Bros. Motor Sales, Inc., 12100 S. Western Ave., Blue Island (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51
     and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Shaps Motors, Inc., 3737 N. Broadway (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Supreme Motor Sales, Inc., 3000 W. Lawrence Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again
     2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Philip A. Tafel, Inc., 2929 N. Cicero Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Thompson Motor Sales, Inc., 400 W. St. Charles Rd., Villa Park (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and
     again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)
Tower Service Inc., 5526 Elston Ave. (Per Chicago Automobile Show program 2/17 thru 2/25/51 and again 2/16 thru 2/24/52.)

Chicago [North Side], IL:
Butler Motors, Inc. (Branch), 6101 Broadway (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Louis Dave Motors, 6828 N. Clark St. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Gibson Motors Sales, 3922 W. Irving Park Road (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Harrington Motors, 1030 Davis St., Evanston (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Heinemann Motors, 1832 Irving Park Road (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Klocke Motors, 5924 N. Western Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Newman Motors, 2473 Milwaukee Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Supreme Motor Sales, Inc., 3036 Lawrence Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Chicago [Southside], IL:
A & D Motor Sales, Inc., 5001 Cottage Grove Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Bauer Motor Sales, 12833 S. Western Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Beverly Motors Inc., 8953 S. Ashland Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Brock & Burns Motor Sales, 353 E. Garfield Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Chatham Motor Sales, Inc., 8019 Cottage Grove Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Comercial Motors, Inc., 8608 Commercial Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Hejna Motor Sales, 5206 S. Ashland (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Michigan Auto Sales, 11834 S. Michigan (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Schell Motor Sales, Inc., 7023 S. halsted St. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
State Line Sales & Service, 10550 Indianapolis Blvd. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Stratford Motor Sales Co., 6739 S. Western Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Chicago [Westside], IL:
Butler Motors, Inc. (Branch), 318 Madison St., Oak Park (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
"Doc" Clayton Motors, 5440 W. Cermak Rd., Cicero (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Jewel Auto Service, 5806 W. Roosevelt Road (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Kedzie-Washington Motor Sales, 111 N. Kedzie Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
L-T Motors, 2647 W. Cermak Road (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
M & R Motor Sales, Inc., 3956 W. Grand Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Placke Motors, 3559 W. Grand Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Schoetker Motors, 7040 W. North Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Philip A. Tafel, 3030 N. Cicero Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
J.J. Thompson Mtr. Sales, 3186 Milwaukee Ave. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Tyk Motors, 1022 Madison St., Oak Park (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
West Side Hudson, Inc., 4701 Washington Blvd. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Chicago [Suburban], IL:
Argo (IL or IN?): Paganelli Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Arlington Heights: Horcher Motor Sales (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Calumet City: Calumet Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Chicago Heights: H.C. Wehrmann Mt. Co. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Harvey: Petersen Motors, Inc. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
La Grange: Glasner Brothers (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Melrose Park: Suburban Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Niles: Niles Garage (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Palatine: N.J. Michels Son (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Riverside: Hamer Motor Sales (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)
Wheeling: Triangle Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Collinsville, IL:
Loyet's Garage, 524 Vandalia. (Per 1950 Car Show Brochure.)
Oatle's Garage (Per 4/19/36 St. Louis Dispatch.)
Shaver Motor Co., 524 Vandalia St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Columbia, IL:
Wm. Vogt & Co. (Per 4/19/36 St. Louis Dispatch.)

Crystal Lake, IL:
Ormsby Motor Sales (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Danville, IL:
Landsdown Motor Co
Landsdown Motor Co., 102 South St., Dealer Name: Russell Landsdown. Circa 1953.

Other dealerships in Danville, IL included:
Bowen Motors, Inc. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Decatur, IL:
Unknown Dealership, 750 E Prairie, Decatur, IL. Building still stands as yellow brick with black brick trim and not too modified.

De Kalb, IL:
Folles Garage (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Dixon, IL:
Arthur Miller (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Dwight, IL:
DeLongs Garage & Machine Shop
DeLongs Garage & Machine Shop, 212 E. Delaware, Dwight, IL. Established in 1912, but not sure when they started selling cars. Featured in a 1954 Dwight Centennial Book. They now sell Ford cars and trucks as Delong Ford-Mercury Inc.

E. St. Louis, IL:
Norwest Motors, Inc., 2001 State St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)
State Motor Co, Inc., 1210-12 State Street (Per 1950 Car Show Brochure.)
Woesthaus Motor Co. (Per 4/19/36 St. Louis Dispatch.)

Earlville, IL:
Humm Motor Sales (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Edwardsville, IL:
George Cassens (Per 4/19/36 St. Louis Dispatch.)

Elgin, IL:
Moody 1925
Moody Hudson Essex, Elgin, IL. In business from 1911 to at least 1925. Click here for more pictures.

Elgin, IL:
Elgin Auto Mart (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Elmhurst, IL:
Gill Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Fairfield, IL:
Farmers' Supply Co. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Flora, IL:
Warren Motor Sales, 845 W. North Ave. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Freeport, IL:
Haupert Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Glen Ellyn, IL:
Hesterman Motor Sales
Hesterman Motor Sales, Roosevelt Road at Main St, NW Corner. (Also seen in 06/15/41 newspaper ad.) Became a bowling alley from 1958 - 1999. Leveled to build a bank. Click here for more pictures and history!

Granite City, IL:
Brewer Motor Co., 2165 Madison Ave. (Per 4/19/36 St. Louis Dispatch, 1950 Car Show brochure, and St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Hamel, IL:
Cassens Garage
George Cassens, Hamel, IL. Established in 1920, they also started using towbars to haul Hudsons in the '20's. Today, they are a big car hauling company and still use International trucks. Click here to read an expanded history on the company. (Also seen in St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Harrisburg, IL:
Dean's Garage, 626 N. Main St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Harvard, IL:
Meseck Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Joliet, IL:
A.C. Johnston & Son (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Joy, IL:
Fisher Sales Co
Fisher Sales Co., Joy, IL.

Kankakee, IL:
Jeffers & McBroom
Jeffers & McBroom, 810-830 S. Main St. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.) Click here for more pictures!

La Salle, IL:
Miller-Caihan Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Lake Villa, IL:
Al. B. Maier (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Lawrenceville, IL:
stoltz Hudson Co., 704 Tenth St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Lemont, IL:
Garling Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Libertyville, IL:
Spriggs Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Lincoln, IL:
Row Motor Sales
Row Motor Sales, Lincoln, IL. In photo, Duane Row, dealer, presents keys to Jet to Police Chief Earl Minder.

Litchfield, IL:
Neal-Hudson, Inc., 510 N. State St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Lombard, IL:
Greinke-Miller Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Macomb, IL:
Cross Motor Sales
Cross Motor Sales. In business during stepdown years.

Marion, IL:
Bud Hill, Inc., 425 S. Court St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Marseilles, IL:
Morey Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Marshall, IL:
Clatfelter Hudson
Clatfelter Hudson, N 5th St. In business 1946-1957. Operated by Wayne and Flossie Marshall. From left, Barbara Spittler, owners Wayne, Otto Clatfelter, Joan and Aleta Hill Litteral

Melrose Park, IL:
Suburban Hudson
West Suburban Hudson, 2305(?) Lake St. (then probably Danny Nigro motor Sales post war)

Mendota, IL:
Faber Motor Co. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Mt. Vernon, IL:
Virgil T. Bailey Motors, Inc., 223 N. 10th St. (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Niles Center, IL:
Blameuser Motor Co Blameuser Sign
Blameuser Motor Co., 8008 Lincoln Ave, Niles Center, IL. Photo circa 1924.
Blameuser Building 2009

Oak Park, IL:
Crandall Hudson-Essex
Crandall Hudson-Essex, 435(?) Madison Street, Oak Park, IL.

Pekin, IL:
Carl Burling Motors
Carl Burling Motors, 610 N. 5th St. Building was built in 1898. The showroom floor is still the original terrazzo and the basement located below has steel I-Beams every 8-10” to support the weight of the cars. Photo circa 2008. As you can see the showroom windows have been partially covered. Yearbook ad places this in business during at least 1951.

Pekin, IL:
Carl Burling Motors
Multiple Dealerships at this Location, 610 N. 5th St. Building was built in 1898. The showroom floor is still the original terrazzo and the basement located below has steel I-Beams every 8-10” to support the weight of the cars. Photo circa 2008. As you can see the showroom windows have been partially covered. Click here for more details!

Peoria, IL:

Nelson-Wood Co., Peoria, IL. Circa 1924.

Quincy, Illinois:
Collins Plow Company
Collins Plow Company, 227-231 North Sixth Street. In business during at least 1915.

Quincy, Illinois:
Gem City Motor Car Co
Gem City Motor Car Co President: Charles Childers. In business during at least 1919. October 28, 1920 Motor Age mentions their new garge being used for part of the Auto Trades Association annual show. Hudson Triangle Vol.10 No.8 from June 15, 1921, a banker thanks the dealership in an April 28, 1921 letter for his Hudson Six purchased a year earlier. Hudson Triangle Vol.9 No.21 from March 6, 1920, brags about Essex drawing a crowd.

Quincy, Illinois:
Wallbaum Hudson Sales & Service, 307 North 12th Street, 62301
Maine Motor Sales & Service, 929 Maine Street, 62301
Oberling Motor Sales, 1536 North 12th Street, 62301

Rochelle, IL:
Dexter Stocking Co. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Rockford, IL:
Carlson Sales Co., Inc. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Rossville, IL:
Scarlett & Son (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Sheridan, IL:
Breuer's Garage (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Sterling, IL:
Weber Motor Co
Weber Motor Co., Sterling, IL.

Streator, IL:
Defenbale Sales & Service, Rt 23, Streayor, IL. This was just south of town.

Sycamore, IL:
Butzow Bros. Garage (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Vandalia, IL:
Word & Lockart Repair Serv., Highway 40, Bluff City (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Warrenville, IL:
Dorio's Garage (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Waterloo, IL:
Al's Serv. Sta. & Auto Parts, Main & Market (Per St.Louis Post Dispatch 04/22/51.)

Watseka, IL:
Hurling Motor Sales (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Waukegan, IL:
Kutzler Motors Kutzler Motors, 308 Tenth St., Waukegan, IL.

White Hall, IL:
Moulton's Garage, Inc., Brackett St. Carl Moulton SR sold hudson's, gmc trucks & john deere farm equipment. Circa late 40's / early 50's. White Hall is located between Springfield & St.Louis.

White Hall, IL:
Southern Garage, Dealer: W.G. Moulton. Circa 1919. See The Atlanta Constitution December 23, 1919, page 19 and Jan 3, 1030, page 15.

Wilmington, IL:
Nelson Lacy Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Winfield, IL:
Winfield Garage (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Wood River, IL:
Sido Motor Co., Whitelaw and Lorena (Per 4/19/36 St. Louis Dispatch, 1950 Car Show brochure, and 04/22/51 St.Louis Post Dispatch.)


INDIANA

Anderson, IN:
O.D. Foster
O.D. Foster Motor Co., 124-126 W 9th St., Anderson, IN.

Bedford, IN:
Ray R. Roberts & Sons
Ray R. Roberts & Sons, Inc., 1202 J Street, Bedford, Indiana. Clipping from The Bedford Daily Times on June 30, 1952.

Ray R. Roberts & Sons
An exterior shot of Ray R. Roberts & Sons, Inc. mentioned above. A website view shares, "Ray R. Robert's had the nicest dealer showroom in Bedford, quite large and all glass enclosed. Bedford had a dealership for every car brand except Nash and later Edsel. The Robert's dealership continued to sell Hudson's through the 1957 model year and then stopped selling new automobiles continuing the business with International trucks and Farmall farm equipment. For some reason, Ray Robert's never seemed push Ramblers very much. Even in the early 1960's it was common to still see Hudson's at the Robert's dealership for service."

Bloomington, IN:
Hanson Motor Co.
Hanson Motor Co., 1327 N. Walnut St., Bloomington, IN. Photo circa 1940's. Click here for more pictures!

Bourbon, IN:
Wayne Love Motors
Wayne Love Motors, Lincoln Highway (US 30) 1/2 block east of the traffic light, Bourbon, Indiana. Wayne Love Motors had 2 mechanics, one who was VERY good, a full time parts man, full time body man, the owner/salesman, and a 75 cent an hour "flunky" who washed & prepped new cars for the 1 car showroom floor as well as for the used car lot 1 block away (also on main drag). Wayne became an AMC dealership that remained into the '70's but, as Bourbon is a pretty small town (one stoplight) was forced to relocate well before then & he moved the dealership 15 miles east to Warsaw, IN. He was a very astute businessman & made a good living. He kept the brick building in Bourbon after moving the business. While a Hudson dealer he had a very good body man who had been a h.s. basketball star. As a result he kept a large inventory of body parts on hand, in the 2nd floor loft area. Those parts have since found a home with a Hudson owner, but as of 2004 the building was still there. A favorite story among Hudson owners is the time that John Dillenger, an infamous bank robber, stopped in for a quick fix on his Terraplane. Wayne Love quickly went about repairing Dillenger's car with John sitting in the car. All the time he was working, he knew his buddy, the town marshall, was going to drop by any time. Lucky for the Marshall, Wayne got Dillenger repaired and down the road before the Marshall came by. However, this proves to be a fable since Dillinger was killed in 1934 and Wayne didn't become a Hudson dealer until after WWII. John Dillinger did however stop in Bourbon, for a haircut! They had 2 barbers and the one would always regale anyone who would listen how he'd given Dillinger a haircut. He was sitting in his little 1 chair emporium one day & this black sedan parked in front. Two guys got out & came in, looked the place over, then went back to the car and a 3rd guy got out & got his hair cut. The barber didn't know who it was BUT about a week later saw a photo of Dillinger on the front page of the Chicago paper & recognized who he was. Unable to confirm, another story lives on. If interested read "The Dillinger Days" by John Toland and for entertainment be sure to see the Johnny Depp movie, Dillinger.

Brunswick, IN:
Brunswick Schreiber Garage
Brunswick Garage, Brunswick, IN. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.) Although this has also been referred to as the Schreiber Garage, the Screiber garage was a seperate business in Lowell, IN. click here for more photos and information.

N. T. Knight & Son, 119 S. Capitol Avenue, Corydon, Indiana:
I'm the son and grandson of an old Hudson and AMC dealer in Corydon, Indiana. Dad and Grand-dad formed their business, N. T. Knight & Son, in 1941, and the business was originally located at the southwest corner of North Capitol Avenue and Walnut Street in downtown Corydon. In August or September of 1945, the business moved 4 blocks south, to 119 South Capitol Avenue, and took on the Hudson franchise. N. T. Knight & Son was my grand-dad, Newland Thomas Knight, and his son, Donn R. Knight. Besides the Hudson franchise, they sold International Harvester trucks and tractors [and refrigerators and freezers], BFGoodrich tires, and Texaco products.

While I don't have any memorabilia from the AMC days, I have framed on my wall one of the posters they had printed advertising the "New 1950 Hudsons, at Sensational LOWER PRICES". I've heard that a local scrapyard has an advertising fan that the company gave away to local funeral homes and churches [remember, air conditioning wasn't that common in the late 1950's], with photos of the 1956 Hudson Hornet and Rambler, with the words, "I'm a Hudson and Rambler FAN".

Dad always talked of going to Cincinnati to pick up new Hudsons, or of having them shipped by barge down the Ohio River to Louisville, 4th Street wharf, where they'd pick them up and drive them to Corydon. Dad complained that cars were more likely to be damaged in transit when they were sent by barge. In the AMC days, they got cars delivered to their door by KAT....which at that time stood for Kenosha Auto Trasport. But when Newt ordered his '57 Rebel, he'd waited long enough that they had to go to Chicago to pick it up...and when they got there, there were only two available. While Newt had wanted the overdrive tranny, he had to settle for what they had on hand, which turned out to be one with the Hydramatic and the continental kit.

In January 1959, downtown Corydon was severely flooded, and N. T. Knight & Son didn't have flood insurance. Lots of stuff was lost as the building had 3 feet of water in it, and for several weeks thereafter a lot of mud was washed off whatever was salvagable. I think it was at that point, after the "RAMBLER" sign they'd just bought a couple of years before was deemed "obsolete" by the factory rep from the Cincinnati zone, that Newt decided enough was enough, and the franchise was terminated by mutual agreement.

In 1960, there was no AMC dealer in Corydon. In 1961, Purkhiser Oldsmobile took up the AMC franchise, but they treated Rambler as the "bastard stepchild" that it was to them. They had the franchise thru '63 or so, and after that, Wolfe Motor Sales, Corydon's Studebaker dealer, apparently saw the handwriting on the wall and picked up AMC. Ralph Wolfe retired in the early '70's, and his son Ray ran the dealership until his health gave out in the early 1980's.

Today, Verizon owns the building at 119 S. Capitol Avenue where N. T. Knight & Son was located. The local phone company, which was absorbed eventually by Verizon, bought the building and the vacant lot where Newt and Donn had their car/truck/tractor/implement lot next door in 1960, and built their office there in about 1964.

Purkhiser Olds was located around the corner from N. T. Knight & Son, at 115 E. Poplar Street. Frank Purkhiser and his son Harold ran the dealership until the 1979-80 time frame when they closed. The building there is now Lisa's Sports Bar & Grill, and is known informally in town as the "Oldsmobile Lounge."

Wolfe Motor Sales actually occupied both sides of the street at 207 W.Walnut, with the tiny garage, showroom, parts counter, and Texaco gas pumps on the south side of the street, and his wash rack/cleanup area and used car lot on the north side of Walnut Street. The south side is now occupied by John D's Auto Repair, and the north side of the street is now home to Jamie Whitman Auto Sales.

-courtesy AMC Forum



Columbia City, IN:
Schrader & Truman
Schrader & Truman, Columbia City, IN. Photo circa 1923.

Columbia City, IN:
Trier In business since 1935, established as an International Harvester farm implements store, the business was expanded in 1946 by adding the Hudson automobile franchise until 1954, when they switched the automobile franchise to Lincoln-Mercury and in 1961 dropped the International Harvester franchise to concentrate on the automobile business. Trier closed in 2012.

Crown Point, IN:
Service Chicago (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

East Chicago, IN:
Galvin Motor Sales (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Franklin, IN:
Kerlin & Poe
Kerlin & Poe, Inc., 399 S. Main St. Dealers: J Paul Kerlin and son-in-law Emerson R Poe. Also served as a MobilGas Service Staion. Post WWII through Nash merge. Building has been replaced by Franklin Police Dept. Suggested Reading: "Franklin: A Pictoral History" by M.L. "Beezer" Johnson.

Gary, IN:
Imperial Mtr. Sales, Inc. (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Garrett, IN:
PAUL H. SCHUNK, INC. Bio circa 1936: There has been a garage on the present site of Paul H. Schunk, Inc., at the corner of Quincy and Randolph streets since 1911 or 1912 when Leslie Stoner constructed the large stone building which was destroyed by fire some years later. Geo. Young, Wm. Burch Hays and Raymond Kingsbury owned the business at various times. Following the fire R. J. & C. B. Thacher of Auburn, occupied the building in its present form. They managed the business, selling to Ora Souder after several years. Paul H. Schunk purchased the garage in July, 1934, and has managed it since. Mr. Schunk is a member of one of the pioneer families of Garrett and he was born here. He started work as a machinist helper on the B & O and then became a fireman. He was employed for a time then by the Auburn Auto Co. as a trouble shooter on the road. After nine years in that capacity he joined the Chevrolet company at Fort Wayne and was transferred at various times by that company in Elkhart, Logansport and South Bend. He opened a general repair garage at 713 South Franklin street in Garrett in 1931 and over a year later became a part of the Hi-Way Garage corporation. A year later, after purchasing his present business, he incorporated it and the firm became known as Paul H. Schunk, Inc. Since Mr. Schunk took over the garage he has made several improvements including a stoker, a hydraulic hoist for lifting cars, new starting, lighting and ignition apparatus and other new equipment, and he has improved the lot next to the garage building for a used car lot. The company sells Hudsons and Terraplanes, International trucks and farm machinery, a general line of accessories and auto parts. And DX gasoline and motor oils. The Garrett employees are George Fullmer, salesman, Ben Traster, mechanic, Clarence Wyss, body and fender work, Charles Traster, washing and polishing, Wm. Sobraske, Loren Shaffer and Clark Luttman, attendants, and Frances Sapp, office girl. The Paul H. Schunk corporation has opened three more garages recently, at Kendallville, St. Joe and Auburn. These filing stations sell the same product as the Garrett station, and there is a total of twenty-one employees of the corporation. The Auburn and Garrett stations have twenty-four hour service. Extensive remodeling was done to the garage at Auburn at the corner of Ninth and Jackson streets. Mr. Schunk has made a great success as a young business man. He is a steady advertiser and energetic and enterprising. He is an active Mason and Elk. Click here for more info on Garrett, Indiana.

Greencastle, IN:
Hess Sales & Service
Hess Sales & Service, 7-9 East Franklin St, Greencastle, IN. 1947 Postcard. Charles Louis Hess and wife Hester (Freeman) Hess owned Hess Sales and Service of Greencastle, Indiana from 1932-1961. In 1956 they began building the Hess Mobile Home Park and operated it until 1968. (Roll mouse over image to see building today, currently Jerry's Foreign Auto Service.)

Hammond, IN:
Calumet Motors
Calumet Motors, 5814-20 Calumet Ave., Hammond, IN. Babe Abrahamson was the dealer. Believed to have been in business from 1934-1955.

Hobart, IN:
Nickel Plate Garage (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Huntington, IN:
Hudson & Willys Sales & Service
Hudson & Willys Sales & Service, 618 Guilford St., Huntington, IN. Dealer: Alva E. Sours. Before Guilford St., Sours business was at 706 S. Jefferson St. as known as A.E. Sours Garage in at least 1936. In business at the Guilford location during 1937-1941 before settling at the Market Street location known as Sours Hudson Sales & Service. Guilford building started as a horse stable, then Hudson dealership, and later as part of Memcor who built radios for the Army in Vietnam era.

Huntington, IN:
Sours Hudson Sales
Sours Hudson Sales & Service, 701 East Market Street, Huntington, IN. Dealer: Alva E. Sours. In business from at least 1941-1954. In business at other locations since at least 1936, see Hudson & Willys Sales & Service description above.

Indiana Harbor, IN:
Sunnyside Motors (Per 06/15/41 newspaper ad.)

Indianapolis, IN:
Indiana
Hudson Motor Car Co 1930s photo of Hudson dealership in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Indianapolis, IN:
Ace Motors
Ace Motors, 1136 N. Meridian, Indianapolis, IN. Postcard circa 1941.

Indianapolis, IN:
Federspill & Badorf Motors
Federspill & Badorf Motors, 3929 W. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN. It appears that the building still stands and is in business as a tire shop and automotive repairs. Mouse over picture above to see side view of building. Federspill & Badorf Motors




Federspill & Badorf Motors


Indianapolis, IN:
Rodocker
Rodocker, 1160 W. 16th St., Indianapolis, IN.

Rodocker
Rodocker building as it stands today as Awning Partners.

Jeffersonville, IN:
Roach Motor Sales

Kokomo, IN:
Rayl Motor Co.
Rayl Motor Co.,314-318 No. Buckey Street, Kokomo, Indiana.

Kokomo, IN:
Ed Roll Hudson
Ed Roll Hudson Sales, 306 W. Sycamore, Kokomo, Indiana. This photo also featured in April 1972 WTN. Ed Roll Hudson was in business at this address from at least 1950-1953. Roll & Stronger, another Hudson dealership and tire service, was the prevoius dealer at this location from 1948-1950. This building still stands as City Tire. Ed Roll was rumored to have owned the speedway in Kokomo and had a Hudson "advertising car" for the track, but this is believed to be inaccurate by family members.

Lebanon, IN:
Lenox, 328 West South, Lebanon, IN. Sold Hudson and Studebakers starting in 1947, after selling Oliver farm machinery for several years, John Deere before then, and running a salvalge yard for decades before that. Click here for more history!

Logansport, IN:
Marty's Hudson Sales
Marty's Hudson Sales, 330 Water St. (US 24 W), Logansport, IN. Business years: 1954-1957. Note that building still has Hudson blue trim on the top edge.

Lowell, IN:
Schreiber Sales& Service, Routes 2 & 41, Dealer Name: Arnold Schreiber. Credit Limit (1-22-53): COD. Although this has also been referred to as the Brunswick Garage, the Brunswick Garage was a seperate business in Brunswick, IN. click here for more photos and information.

Marion, IN:
Howard Auto Sales
Howard Auto Sales, 802 S. Adams, Marion, Indiana. Dal Howard sold Hudsons from 1939 to 1949. This building is purpose built for the Hudson dealership. It has a neat curved glass block parts counter and mirrored walls and lots of glazed tile. After 1949 until recently it was a Chrysler dealer. Down the street is the Edsal dealer with the sign still on the building and some old Edsals in the showroom.

Marion, IN:
Barker & McClain
Barker & McClain, 16th & Washington St., Marion, Indiana. This dealership sold both Hudson and International vehicles.

Barker & McClain
Barker & McClain may have been in this building located at 1532 S. Washington St?

Michigan City, IN:
Krebs Service
Krebs Service, northeast corner of Michigan and Washington streets. Click here for more pictures and history.

Muncie, IN:
Unknown Dealership, on Madison street just off of Jackson.

Muncie, IN:
The Muncie Automobile Co
The Muncie Automobile Co, Jackson. Clipping from Scarborough's Official Tour Book circa 1916.

Noblesville, IN:
Whitesell Motor Sales
Whitesell Motor Sales, 940 Maple Ave., Noblesville, IN. Phone 47

Peru, IN:
David C. Fair
David C. Fair, 30 W 2nd St (US 24 W), Peru, IN. David C. Fair, dealer, sold a pair of Jets to be used as police cars to the city of Peru. Roll mouse over image to view current picture of building.

Plymouth, IN:
Truman Motors
Truman Motors, old Lincoln highway US 30, Plymouth, IN. January 1964 WTN states, "A very nice example of the 1946-47 pick-ups. This one still in use by the Rambler dealer named on the door. These people were Hudson dealers for many years." It was an Amc dealer after Hudson and Ramblers and 1970s into the Renault Amc era. The building is still in use as a used car dealership today.

Portland, IN:
Hudson Steering wheels were made in Portland at Sheller (and later called Sheller Globe.) The city directory had a pic of a 1938 Hudson Steering wheel in the Sheller ad.
Hutchens Motor Co., 115 E. High St., 1922-1951, owned by Clarence Hutchens. May have sold Chrysler and Plymouth later.
Jay Motor Sales, Inc., Hwy 67, Water, & State. Date unknown.

Tipton, IN:
Jaqua Motor Sales Company
Jaqua Motor Sales Company, 301 E. Jefferson. Dealer: W.H. Jaqua. In business from 1938-1940.

Warsaw, IN:
Funk Motor Sales

Funk Motor Sales Warsaw, IN. Hudson and Terraplane Dealership.

Waynedale, IN:
Donaldson Hudson
Donaldson Hudson Sales and Service, Address Unknown, Waynedale, IN. Duane Donaldson was the dealership owner. Duane, shown here with two new '54 Hudsons in his showroom, sold only 2 convertibles that year. At least one of these still survive today. Click here to view pictures of one of them.

Whiting, IN:
Whiting Garage and Sales
Whiting Garage & Sales, 1534 Indianapolis Boulevard, Whiting, IN. Business years from at least 1941-1953. Click here to view more pictures and information on this dealership.


IOWA

Alden, IA:
Johnson Motor Co., Alden, IA

Aplington, IA:
D.U.Harken / Harken Brothers / Harken Brothers & Lumley / D.U. Harken and Sons, Aplington, IA. (The small town of Aplington, Iowa had no street addresses at the time he was in business. Not even a P.O. Box number was needed as everyone knew everyone else. About the only thing they ever put on advertising material was the phone number of 83. There was an operator, known as "Central", who plugged in calls. Even the phone number was probably not needed as the operator had memorized most all customers.) D.U. (Dave/David) Harken began as a Mitchell dealer in 1915, but by 1917 he had a Hudson-Essex dealership. Several drawers of cancelled checks from 1917 through the 1930's and two daily business ledgers from 1915 to 1918 are held dearly by a collector. It's also rumored that a 1929 photo exists showing an Essex parked between two large mounds of snow in front of the frame building then used by Harken Brothers, having Hudson and other brand names painted on the front. One piece of memorabilia that has survived is a fountain pen in a stand which has the following inscription: "Hudson Motor Car Company Award to Harken Brothers in May 1935." Harken sold the business in 1951 or 1952 to John Cuvelier. It became an AMC dealership either under the Cuvelier name, but was purchased by Maurice Uhlenhopp who sold it to John Hippen. The business was known by various names over the years as noted above, dependent on partnerships and family dynamics. Harken's grandson recalls going to Hudson-Jones in Des Moines, Iowa (see below) to pick up new cars.

GospelHall.org has an interesting story that gives us a glimpse on how useful vehicles were in sharing the gospel. Following are two exerpts from the website:

Mr. Blair made the comment, "You can hardly call it the Gospel Ford, you could better call it the Gospel Car." Mr. Blair was no doubt suggesting that the Gospel Ford could relate to a man instead of telling that the car was used in the spreading of the gospel, and truly the gospel was spread by its use. Mr. Smith has said "I would drive the wheels off my car to see a soul saved." This was truly the character of his life, he lived it for others. Now he had a new car to drive and it already had on its visor the words "Gospel Car". Soon he painted the old Ford touring car and sold it. For a number of years he came back to the Aplington Hudson-Essex dealer, Dave Harken, and traded for a new Essex. "Times were surely different then." Mr. Smith writes in his diary "Monday, December 16, 1929 - Traded cars, got a new Essex. Paid $195.00. Had 14,800 miles on old one."

And

“I remember one of those summer afternoons, just west of the tent in the city park, a man drove up with a nearly new "Essex" car. It was a 1925 two-door black sedan. On its black surface there were many scripture verses printed in white, and on the front visor were the word's "Gospel Car". A man by the name of Tom Olson stepped out of it. He was a Gospel tract writer and also did evangelistic work. I recall him conversing with brother Smith and handing him a few keys, saying, "This is your car. You can use it for God better than I." This car then took the place of the Ford touring car that Mr. Smith had owned.”

Boy Who Stole Auto
at Aplington Goes
Back to Eldora

Aplington, la., April 3 - (Special) -
The new Essex six automobile,
still carrying the dealer's number,
stolen from Harken Bros. garage
here Thursday night, was recovered
late last night at Parkersburg
in possession of Glenn Deyo,
of that place, a youth who
has served a term in the boys'
industrial school. He was placed
under arrest by the night watch-
man and will be returned to Eldora.
Deyo had kept the car hidden
during the day, but at night-drove
it about town. When the battery
"burned out" he took one from an-
other car, it was learned. The car
is owned by Fred Lindeman.
-- Waterloo Evening Courier
-- April 3,1926

Business for Harken

On September 6, 1928, the Ackley World Journal [Ackley, Iowa] reported on page 8 that B. Ostercamp, Frank, Grace and Otto Renken, had bought Essex cars from Harken Bros. that past week. (Interesting that they would report auto purchases in the paper,eh?)

Cedar Falls, IA:
J.W. Bancroft & Son

Charles City, IA:
I.E. Sanders

Davenport, IA:
Coughlin Motors

Des Moines,IA:
Hudson-Jones Auto Co
Hudson-Jones Auto Co., 1408 Locust St., Des Moines, IA. Click here for more pictures!

Des Moines,IA:
Unknown Hudson Dealership
Unknown Hudson Dealership, Unknown street, Des Moines, IA. Do you see the war bonds being advertised?

Grundy Center, IA:
J.C. Nickerson, Grundy Center, IA.

Hawkeye, IA:
Fritz Gas & Auto Co., Hawkeye, IA.

Jesup, IA:
Miller Bros., Jesup, IA.

Mason City, IA:
Lapner Motors, 129 South Delaware Ave., Mason City, Iowa. Website viewer, Larry, adds the following, "My Dad bought a new Hudson Jet there, he is not sure if it was a '53 or '54, but it was a maroon color with a black hardtop roof. It had automatic overdrive, and my Dad claims he got 30 mpg a couple times. There is a Midas muffler shop in that same building now."

Muscatine, IA:
Motor Service Co
Motor Service Co., 401-411 Mulberry Ave., Muscatine, IA. In business from 1945 thru 1956 with Earnest House Jr. and Howard Eutsler as dealers. Click here to view more pictures!

Richland, IA:
Mayer Motors
Mayer Garage, 6 Oak St., Richland, IA. Dealers were Frank Mayer and Allvin Allen, in business from 1933 - 1950's.

Sioux City, IA:
Van Brunt-Crossman Co. (Distributor)

Sumner, IA:
Carpenters Garage
Waterloo, IA:
Hudson-Essex Waterloo Company, 523 or 623 Franklin St, Waterloo, IA.

Waverly, IA:
E.A. Varsha

KANSAS

Arkansas City, KS:
Goehring Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)
Rae Hudson Motor Co. (Per 03/21/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Atchison, KS:
G.E. Kaufman
G.E. Kaufman, 614 Mound St., Atchison, KS. Postcard circa 1927.

Atwood, KS:
Henderson Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

August, KS:
Taylor Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Burden, KS:
Shore's Speedway Service (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Caldwell, KS:
Caldwell Supply Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Chanute,KS:
McCune Motor Company
McCune Motor Company, 112-114 West Elm Street, Chanute, KS. Owner, George J McCune. Christmas card might date to early '30s? A 1936 Chanute City Directory has it listed as an auto dealership at 116 N Lincoln Ave.

Cherryvale, KS:
Hub Standley Motor Co., 308 E. Main Street (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Clay Center, KS: Click here to view a History of Auto Dealerships in Clay Center.
Bradley Motor Company Hudson (1946 newspaper)
Weethee Hudson-Essex (1926 phonebook)

Clyde, KS:
George Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Coffeyville, KS:
Bob Busick Motors (Per 03/21/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)
S & S Motor Co., 1217 South Walnut (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Colby, KS:
R & S Motors, Inc., 155 East 3rd Street (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Coldwater, KS:
Whitzel Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Dighton, KS:
Dighton Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Dodge City, KS:
L.R. Tyson & Sons, 404 South Second Street (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Douglas, KS:
Hickman Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Downs, KS:
W.A. Sharp & Son (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Durham, KS:
Ed Becker Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

El Dorado, KS:
Nufer Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)
The B & A Motor Co. (Per 03/21/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Elkhart, KS:
Elkhart Motor & Mach. Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Eureka, KS:
McGinnis Motor Co., 702 N. Main Street (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Fort Riley, KS:
Fort Riley Kansas Hudson Dealership
Dealership Name Unknown, Fort Riley, KS. This dealership participated in the donation of one of 23 Jets to winners of the Teacup Contest. Per December 1953 Hudson Dealer News: Corporal Burton Medelson was the winner of a Jet in the Teacup Contest. (Left to Right) Ralph Stark, dealer in Fort Riley; Bob Clow, Kansas City Zone Manager and Cpl. Mendelson.

Fowler,KS:
Dewell Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Fredonia, KS:
O'Brian Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Garden City, KS:
Buffalo Motor Co., 723 E. Fulton (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Goodland,KS:
Brown Motor & Implement Co
Brown Motor & Implement Co, 126 E. 10th St., Goodland, KS. Click here for more pictures!

Great Bend, KS:
Johnson Motors, 1909 Lakin Street (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Greensburg, KS:
Swisher Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Harper, KS:
Pomeroy Motor & Equipment Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Hays, KS:
Twentieth Century Motors, Inc., Sixth and Main (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Hiawatha, KS:
Unknown Dealership Name, Hiawatha, KS. Owned by Ray E. Leman. Sold the city a Hudson Jet patrol car.

Hill City, KS:
Northwest Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Hoisington, KS:
Spears and Lehning Motor Co., 165 West Broadway (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Hutchingson, KS:
Sutton-Craddock Motor Co., 129 E. Sherman (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Independence, KS:
Harold Brothers Motor Co., 234 W. Main (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Kansas City, KS:
Fasenmyer Hudson
Fasenmyer Hudson, N 10th St and State Ave, Kansas City, KS. In 1930 Fasenmyer was listed in a city directory at 826-28 Minnesota as Fasenmyer Motor & Radio Co., dealing in Packards, Chrysler, Plymouth and Philco and Atwater-Kent radios. This dealership was also found in a 1943 phone book with a location of 929 Minnesota, of which building is now gone. Looking at the photo, it appears to have been a Texaco station as well. Owned by A.C. "Tony" Fasenmyer. Roll mouse over image to see current day building or click here for more pictures and information.

Kingman, KS:
C.E. Wooldridge Motor Co., 108 N. Main Street (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Kinsley, KS:
Heinz Motor & Equipment Co., 707 Calony Street (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Kiowa, KS:
Lewis Motor Co., 107 South Sixth (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

La Crosse, KS:
Nitsch Motor & Implement Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Larned, KS:
Mac's Auto Sales & Service
Mac's Auto Sales & Service, 812 Broadway. (Possibly 1940's?). Building still stands as Carr Auto & Electric.

Other dealerships in Larned, KS included:
Marconet Motor & Supply, Fifth and Topeka (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Leoti, KS:
Leoti Machine & Welding Wks. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Liberal, KS:
F.A. Engel & Son, 506 N. Kansas (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Mankato, KS:
Jewell County Motor & Implement Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

McPherson, KS:
Baker Motor Co.
Baker Motor Co.,318 North Main, McPherson, KS. Ad from 11/16/1940.

Other dealerships in McPherson included:
Switzer Motors, 123 West Euclid (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Medicine Lodge, KS:
Greenleaf Motors (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Ness City, KS:
John Hann Motor & Imp. Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Newton, KS:
Voth Motor Co., 125 West Broadway (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Norton, KS:
Dan's Motor & Implement Co., 112 North Kansas (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Oberlin, KS:
Sauvage & Betts Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Oxford, KS:
Frazee Motor Company, P.O. Box 118 (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Peabody, KS:
Gephart Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Pratt, KS:
McAnarney Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Protection, KS:
Filson Motor & Implement Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Quinter, KS:
Long's Motor Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Russell, KS:
Nuss Motor & Imp. Sales (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Salina, KS:
Heath HudsonHeath Hudson
Roy M. Heath Co. aka Heath Hudson, 208 N. Santa Fe, Salina, Kansas. Opened in 1920. This shot is from in front of the Recht Drug Store on the corner of N. Santa Fe Ave. and E. Ash St. looking NorthEast. On the right is the Coffee Shop of the Casa Bonita restaurant and bus station. (Called the Casa-Boneyard by the teens of the time.) Visible on the east side of the street at about the center is the Heath Hudson automobile dealer and the bowling alley. The big six story building on the far left is still standing I think. All the rest are gone. A March 10, 1959 Salina Journal classified advertises Parts, Sales, Service, Competition Tuning, and Accessories for Jaguar, MG, Porsche, Austin-Healy, and Morris offered by Roy M. Heath Co.

Other dealerships in Salina included:
Salina Motor Co., 325 North Santa Fe (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Scott City, KS:
K & W Motor & Appliance, Inc. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Sedan, KS:
Ed Harrop Motor Co. (Per 03/21/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Sheldon, KS:
Anderson Motor Company (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Sublette, KS:
Wiswell Motor & Implement Co. (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Wakeeney, KS:
Mid-West Marketing Co., Box 458 (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Wichita, KS:
Midwest Motors, Inc. (Distributors), 535 West Douglas (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Winfield, KS:
Benson Motr Co., 200 West 10th (Per 02/24/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Hedges Motor Co. (Per 03/21/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)

Yates Center, KS:
Cantrell Motor Sales (Per 03/21/1948 Wichita Eagle newspaper ad.)


KENTUCKY

Hopkinsville, KY:
Hudson-Essex Sales Co., 9th & Clay, Hopkinsville, KY (1926 Auto Blue Book/touring guide)

Lexington, KY:
Purdom Motor Co.
Purdom Motor Co., Lexington, KY. Photo featured in 1953 Motor magazine ad and 12-14-53 Automotive News.

Louisville, KY:
Douglas Hudson Motors
Douglas Hudson Motors, 2411 Bardstown Rd (corner of Bardstown Road and Douglas Boulevard), Louisville, KY: It began as Douglas Hudson Motors, changed to Douglas Ramber, and ended in 1980 as Wilhelmi's Douglas American Click here for more information and pictures.

Louisville, KY:
Kef Motors, Inc., Broadway, Louisville, KY. Jet era.

Louisville, KY:
Schuler Motor Co
Schuler Motor Co, Lexington Road at Frankfort Avenue, Louisville, KY. Photo circa 1935. Unique sign reads, "Continental Oil; Hudson; Essex; Conoco." This was located across the street from a Gulf station, a drug store, a restaurant, Steiden Stores, and Fred Wootton Hardware. Click here for more pictures!

Louisville, KY:
Southern Motors Co
Southern Motors Co., Hudson Distributors, Louisville, KY. Click here to read a great article on this dealership!

Louisville, KY:
1817 Third Street (Parantheses show approximate dates.):
(1915-1919) Electric Garage Company
(1920-1921+) Triangle Motors Co., Garage and Service Station (Another possible Hudson dealership?)
(1927+) Fidelity Motor Co, Used Car Dept, Essex & Hudson, I.T. Axton (President)
(1933+) Bridgewater, A W B garage
(1933+) Lockett, C W auto painter
(2000) Cardinal Village Apts

Winchester, KY:
Brewer Motor Co
Brewer Motor Co, Winchester, KY. During the 1953 Clark County Fair in Winchester, the Franklin Homemakers, an organization of housewives appeared in a parade dressed in costumes depicting the period from 1919 to 1954. The Brewer Motor Company, Hudson dealer in Winchester had five Hudson in the parade, cars ranging in ages from 1919 to 1954 models and as a result won the first prize in competition with all the other automobile dealers in the city. Cars included a 1919 Essex convertible, a Hornet stock car used in races, a 1953 Jet, a 1954 Wasp and 1954 Hornet. The resultant publicity helped the cmpany to sell five new and several used cars since the parade was witnessed by the largest crowed ever recorded in the history of the city.


LOUISIANA

H.A. Testard Co
H.A. Testard Co, 353-55 Baronne St, New Orleans, LA. Testard established a bicycle store in 1898 and first sold automobiles made by Western Wheels Works, Chicago. You can see in the photo that he continued the business as both a "wheelman" and auto dealer. He sold Hudson from at least 1912-1924. Click here for more pictures and information.

New Orleans, LA:
Southern Hudson
Southern Hudson, Inc., New Orleans, LA. Photo from 1953 Motor magazine ad.

New Orleans, LA:
Manloney Motor Company, 712 Charles. Circa 1928-1932?

Shreveport, LA:
M.I. Davis Company, Inc
M.I. Davis Company, Inc., Shreveport, LA. Photo circa 1948/1949 in the all-glass show window of the dealership with a smartly dressed mannequin seated in the car.


UNITED STATES

OTHER COUNTRIES





Courtesy 2014 HudsonJet.net - All Rights Reserved.