Descendants of Hinton and other spelling - Ulbert De Hynton

Thirty-first Generation


84. Maj. John Hinton (John Hinton , James John Hinton , James Hinton , John Hinton , Thomas Hinton , Anthony Hinton , Thomas Hinton , John Hinton , Richard , John , John , John , Thomas , Thomas , Phillip , Henry , Geoffrey , John , John , John , Hugh , Richard , Hugh , Richard , Robert , Elias , Edward , Rauld , Eurald , Ulbert ) was born on 14 Mar 1748 in Wake, Nc.

John Hinton Jr., a major in the Revolution and a representative from Wake County in the legislature both during and after the war. He married Ferebee Smith, daughter of the founder of Smithfield in Johnston County, and lived at "Clay-Hill-on-the-Neuse." Some of his descendants, bearing the name, removed to Georgia. Both Major Hinton and his wife are buried at "Clay Hill."

Notes from http://www.mindspring.com/~baumbach/hinton/history.htm

Major John Hinton III (1748-1818) of Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse Major John Hinton, son of Colonel John and Grizelle Kimbrough Hinton, married Ferebee Smith, daughter of John and Elizabeth Whitfield Smith, namesake of Smithfield, NC. John Hinton built his plantation manor, Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse, prior to the Revolutionary War, one of the earliest plantation manors in Wake County. The plantation contained 5,434 acres in 1788 and 19 slaves.

Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse was located on a hill on the east bank of the Neuse in Milburnie, just south of US-64. In 1903, Mary Hilliard Hinton described Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse in detail, which then was in a state of a disrepair and had been abandoned. Today, only the graveyard remains, and it is just inside the fence of the former Oak Ridge Driving Range on US-64, surrounded by a low stone fence.

The two-story house was made of timber and iron nails, painted white with green shutters. It contained a porch the full length of the front. Inside were four bedrooms, a dining room, a butler's pantry, wine cellar, and a lower and upper hallway. It faced east, in front of the family gardens and graveyard. All rooms had high ceilings, hard plaster walls, and ornamented wood-work.

The manor house had many outbuildings, including the kitchen. The flower and herb garden was well laid out with stone walkways. None remain today.

Mary Hilliard Hinton also described some of the slaves of Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse as having been brought directly out of Africa, but once they were "enlightened" in the ways of plantation life, they were forever loyal to John Hinton. Such rationalizations are repugnant today- slavery was rooted in bondage, beatings, forced labor, deprivation and death. Some of the family slaves were "Blind Jim", a groomsman, Buck, the carriage driver, and his brother, Uncle Briscoe. Old Mingo and Mammy Kizzy were captured in Africa and eventually sold to Major John Hinton. Mammy Kizzy was said to be an African princess, but worked as a dairymaid. Jeffry was said to have introduced a sweet pea to the plantation.

John Hinton served in the Johnston and Wake County militias under his father, and alongside his brother, James, and brother-in-law, Joel Lane. During the Revolution, John and his personal slave Uncle Briscoe fought at the Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge in 1776 and served on the Patriot side through 1779.

Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse was visited by a small band of Tories out to capture John Hinton and to rob his home. John was shot, bound and beaten during the melee while defending his family. John escaped and sent for help from his brother, Colonel James Hinton, of Silent Retreat. The Tories stole John's slaves and some clothing, but all were recovered by the pursuing mounted troops under James Hinton. James summarily hung the Tories near Hillsboro.

Major John Hinton served Wake County in the House of Commons in 1779, State Councilors (1799 - 1801), as a Judge (1780 - 1818) and Sheriff (1788 - 1789).

Major John Hinton, along with brother-in-law Joel Lane, and his brother Joseph Lane, were among those who bid on their lands to be the new State Capitol in 1790. The Hinton plantations were considered for the honor, and commission members visited Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse and The Oaks, but instead chose Joel Lane's plantation, Bloomsbury, now the center of the City of Raleigh. The choice of the Lane property caused a deep rift in the family as John Hinton's lands were thought to be the first choice, at least that was the result of the first ballot, but supposedly Joel Lane plied the commission with wine and favors the night before the second and final vote.

John and Ferebee Hinton also had a large family. The eldest son, Colonel John Hinton, moved to Green County, Alabama. Colonel William Hinton built Beaver Dam. Samuel Hinton and Willis Hinton died in 1802 and 1806, respectively, of tuberculosis at Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse. Mary Hinton married Henry Lane, who built Mordecai House in Raleigh, and Grizelle Hinton married Judge Henry Seawell of the plantation Welcome in Raleigh, at separate ceremonies held at Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse. Elizabeth, "Aunt Betsy" Hinton inherited Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse and lived there with Grizzy Ryan, granddaughter of Colonel Joel Lane.

On April 13, 1865, long after Colonel John HInton's death, the plantation was still the residence of Aunt Betsy when Union Troops under General William T. Sherman marched through Raleigh. The 2nd Division of the Army of the Tennessee (Union) camped at Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse, and used Hinton Bridge to cross the Neuse River on the Tarbourough Road (now US-64) on their approach to Raleigh. The troops ransacked the house and rousted the elderly Aunt Betsy out of bed. She died four months later and was buried at Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse.

By the 1890s, the plantation was still in the family, owned by J. Mordecai. Although the plantation way of life was extinguished by the Emancipation Proclamation and the surrender of the Confederacy, family historian Mary Hilliard Hinton wrote that Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse was the site of "clandestine Klu Klux Klan meetings". She lamented that in 1903 the estate was in decay from neglect.


....
Colonel William Hinton (1767 - c1835) of Beaver Dam William Hinton, son of Major John and Ferebee Smith Hinton, married Candace Rosser. He built Beaver Dam about 1807 - 1810. It is located at the end of Smithfield Road at 7081 Forestville Road in Knightdale. Their plantation contained over 4,000 acres with about 50 slaves on land acquired from his father.

In 1817 he established the Juvenile Academy on the plantation. William Hinton served as Sheriff and four terms as a Representative to the General Assembly and five terms as a State Senator.

A daughter of William and Candace Hinton was Polly Willis Hinton, who married her first cousin, Dr. Ransom Hinton, son of Colonel James and Delilah Hinton of Silent Retreat. Polly and Ransom were parents to Laurens Hinton.

The Beaver Dam plantation was acquired by William Hinton's nephew, Dr. Henry Seawell, Jr. in 1841 and remained in that family until 1872. This Georgian style plantation house is still in use. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.

********
Notes from http://www.mindspring.com/~baumbach/hinton/clayhill.htm

CLAY-HILL-ON-THE-NEUSE By Mary Hilliard Hinton

The North Carolina Booklet, Vol. III, pp 23-27, October 1903 The North Carolina Society Daughters of the Revolution, Publisher, Commercial Printing Company, Raleigh

As one journeys east from the capital of North Carolina over the Tarborough road, he sees on the right, after crossing Neuse River, a quaint colonial house standing high on a hill clearly outlined against the southern sky- a speaking memorial of a Revolutionary patriot, prominent during the latter part of the eighteenth and the beginning of the nineteenth centuries, and of a fascinating period that has passed away forever. This is "Clay Hill," the home of Major John Hinton of the Revolution. The antiquity and the very air of departed better days, and the gloom, which permeate this landmark of Wake county's early history, suggest courtly manners, stiff brocades, powdered coiffeurs, high-heeled slippers, knee-breeches and huge buckles. Later the uniforms of buff and blue, and the intrusion of the Tories. What a contrast to the valley below, where progress and invention have left their stamp! There a modern iron bridge spans the Neuse, and the quiet is broken by the mighty rush of water over the dam, the buzz, ever constant, of an up-to-date electric plant, the puffing of a gasoline launch and the occasional passing of an automobile. "Clay Hill" has witnessed many stirring events, and numerous interesting scenes have occurred within its walls. Could a fuller record of its past history be obtained, how valuable it would be to a student of social life in North Carolina, since the mode of living here represented the customs of the higher aristocratic circle in this inland section.. Here a lavish hospitality was dispensed, some of the most influential men of that time in the State- names familiar in our history- having at one time or anther partaken of the courtesies of its genial host. Here gay hunting parties, sumptuous dinners and large weddings were some of the occasions of gathering together the distant planters, statesmen, soldiers and their families- the beaux and belles of long ago. Here has been known the vandalism of two wars and the secret meetings of the Ku-Klux Klan.

CLAY-HILL-ON-THE-NEUSE
Major John Hinton came from an old and honored English family. He was the eldest son of Colonel John Hinton, one of Wake's pioneers and Revolutionary soldiers, and of Grizelle Kimbrough, his wife. He was born in Wake county, March 14, 1748. During his childhood his home was a log cabin (the door of which was in the top of the house, entered by means of a movable ladder), surrounded by thousands of acres of primeval forest full of wild beasts and roving Indians. This section was the hunting-ground of the Tuscaroras. Near the site of Hinton's old home can still be found traces of an Indian burying-ground. There were no neighbors in that vast wilderness. Later, however, from the east came Colonel Joel Lane, whom tradition styles "a dressy widower," and settled at Bloomsbury; while some ten miles to the west Colonel Theophilus Hunter, senior, founded "Hunter's Lodge." Between these families existed the most friendly relations, resulting in marriages. Eventually the family of Nathaniel Jones located at "White Plains," about fourteen miles away. Then, too, came Nathaniel Jones of "Crabtree,: not a blood relation, though connected by marriage with the builder of "White Plains."

Major Hinton, being the eldest son, soon learned self-reliance. While his father was adding to his vast landed estate by taking up new grants of land, he also took up numerous grants from Earl Granville. These contained about six hundred and forty acres each, the usual amount bestowed on the early settlers of the Province of Carolina. After coming into possession of this inheritance on the death of his father in the spring of 1784, he was regarded as one of the three wealthiest men in his county, as well as one of the most influential. There were large tracts owned by him around the present town of Raleigh. On March 26, 1776, Colonel John Hinton sold his son John a tract of land containing 640 acres on Neuse river, for "the sum of one hundred pounds proclamation money," which shows the value of real estate at the beginning of the Revolution. He owned a number of slaves who were fresh from the jungles of Africa. These ignorant savages were soon enlightened in the arts of civilization and proved useful servants. As a proof of the kindness of their master, these slaves were devotedly attached to him.

On June 27, 1765, a the early age of seventeen, John Hinton, junior, married Pherebee, daughter of John Smith, the founder of Smithfield, North Carolina, and Elizabeth Whitfield, his wife. The bride was but sixteen, having been born October 16, 1748, and childish even for her years. Often she was frightened by the boyish pranks played by her husband. The settled at "Clay Hill," where they lived happily till the war-clouded overshadowed the colonies.
"Clay Hill" is the second oldest house now standing in the county, the home of Colonel Joel lane at Bloomsbury (now Raleigh) being the oldest. Major Hinton erected "Clay Hill" before the Revolution. It is well built, only heart timber having been used, while the nails are of wrought iron. Though more than a century and a quarter old, it is still in a fine state of preservation, and there is no reason, if care could be taken, why it should not stand many years longer. At that time in this sparsely settled back country it was really and elegant residence, without a superior. Such work then was a tremendous undertaking; on a river that is not navigable, with no town near by and only deep, muddy roads leading tot he outer world, made the task of building almost impossible. The name naturally implies the character of the soil of that particular eminence- red clay. The grounds were covered with the greenest grass, shaded by stately sycamores, tall elms, and cedars. A neat white paling surrounded all. The main entrance faced the rising sun. A porch, whose slanting ceiling is plastered, supported by four small fluted columns, extends the length of the front side. From this point one has a fine view of the surrounding landscape: for miles can be seen the graceful undulation of the hills, intersected with valleys, crowned here with forests, there with well-tilled fields.

Through it all slowly flows the Neuse to join the Trent at New Bern. Bathed in the golden sunshine of autumn, softened by blue and purple tones, this is a goodly scene to gaze upon, recalling vividly that fairer "Land of the Sky." The single front door opened into the parlor; on the right a door led into the small but inviting dining-room; into this opened the butler's pantry. Through this butler's pantry all meals were brought from the outside kitchen (since destroyed) over the stone-paved walk. Back of the dining-room was a bed-room without a fire-place. The builder of "Clay Hill" deemed such a luxury as a fire in one's sleeping apartment unhealthy! Adjoining this was a dressing-rooms and closets. The parlors opened into a square back hall. From this a stair-case, with a quaint, plain balustrade, leads to the upper story. Here are a large hall-room and three chambers. In the lower hall are two out-doors. In this hall the last mistress of "Clay Hill" on summer evenings sometimes served tea from the daintiest china. The wainscoting on the first floor was high, but was replaced later by some about nine inches deep. The rooms, whose walls are hard-finished, are high-pitched; the wood-work is ornamented, but is not elaborate. The small windows have tiny panes and blinds. In the plan of the whole, convenience was regarded. There is a cellar in which were stored choice wines. Originally the house was painted white, the blinds green. The furniture was mahogany and walnut. The silver was of the severely plain colonial style, exceedingly white and only marked with the initial "H." A certain ladle has been in the family for generations and descends to the eldest son, who has always borne the name John. It is now in the possession of the seventh of the name, a resident of Georgia. The family Bible also passed to that branch. There was a large collection of handsome cut-glass and elegant china, a set of India china and other dainty pieces.

Guests at "Clay Hill" could never forget the lavender scented linen and the spotless napery. A few books composed the library. There were many substantially built out-houses on the premises-in fact, all necessary to the management of a large, well-ordered plantation. Some of these are still standing. On the south was the garden- a typical old-fashioned one, intersected by carefully kept walks bordered with all kinds of flowers. Here bloomed in perfusion roses, jonquils, hyacinths, crape myrtles, snow-balls, lilacs, sweet betsies, honeysuckle's and lavender, the very air being redolent with their heavy perfume. All the herbs found a place here, viz., tansy, rue, thyme, sage, mint.

John Hinton, junior, never wavered- his feelings were with the patriots. Though loyal to the Crown till tyranny reigned, he decided to defend the rights of his native land, risking life and fortune in the long struggle. On August 20, 1775, the Provincial Congress met at Hillsborough and made preparations for the approaching conflict. On September 9th Congress appointed officers for the minute-men in the different counties. The officers chose for Wake were: John Hinton, Colonel; Theophilus Hunter, Lieutenant-Colonel; John Hinton, junior, First Major; Thomas Hines, Second Major. Major Hinton was present with his regiment at the battle of Moore's Creek Bridge, February 27, 1776, and took and active part in that decisive engagement.

During the war, Major Hinton was compelled to leave his family and home to the mercy of those most ruthless invaders, the Tories, but happily they escaped alive. On one occasion, when he happened to be at "Clay Hill", a band of Fanning's fiends, knowing of his presence and that he had in his possession funds for the unrecognized government, came upon him at night. The guide to this band was an enemy whom Hinton had nonce found stealing at his fish-trap in the Neuse and fired him. It was never forgiven. This man remained in the yard as a sentinel while the gang forced an entrance into the house, breaking a panel out of the front door. Major Hinton saw the hopelessness of his position, but determined to defend his sick wife and helpless children at all odds. In the fierce struggle they fired upon him, wounding him badly. They demanded that Major Hinton should relinquish at once his precious charge, but he refused to comply; whereupon they seized him, tying his hands in front, bound him to an arm-chair and beat him unmercifully; still that strong will yielded not. As a last resort they threatened to hang him and made preparations for the act. In the meantime a thorough search was made. The coin, tied in bags, was locked in the secretary. Suspecting this, they said they were going to break into it. It was then that his wife said: "Don't break it open; I shall unlock it." Throwing a blanket around her, she rose from the bed, unlocked the desk, lowered the lid and slipped the bags of money under the blanket and retired to the bed safely. In the interval Major Hinton, unnoticed, undid with his teeth the knots in the ropes tied on his wrists, and, slipping out of the house, dispatched a message to his brother, Colonel James Hinton, to come at once with his troop of horse to his aid. Thinking of some silver spoons that had not been hidden, Mary, their little daughter, snatched them up, and, escaping from the house in the darkness, rushed into the garden and concealed them in the bed of pinks, thus saving them. The vandals seized upon the patriot's wearing apparel and the frightened slaves, and after finding their victim gone and hopes baffled, departed amid volleys of oaths which waxed but the stronger when the stolen clothes were found to be much too large. Colonel James Hinton and his troop, coming up at this critical moment, started after the Tories in hot pursuit. They finally succeeded in overtaking them on the Hillsborough road, nearer that town than Raleigh, and capturing some, hanged them to trees by the roadside as a reward for their fiendish conduct. Then they returned to "Clay Hill" with the slaves.

In 1779 Major Hinton represented Wake County in the General Assembly and again after the Revolution.

In 1788 our legislators decided to have a permanent instead of a migratory capital. Wake being the most centrally located county, it was voted that the site selected should be within her boundaries. Nine commissioners were chosen to locate the seat of government. Only six acted. They were Frederick Hargett, Chairman; Joseph McDowell of "Quaker Meadows", William Johnston Dawson, James Martin, Thomas Blount and Willie Jones. It was Major Hinton's desire to have the capital on the banks of the Neuse where the little hamlet of Milburnie once stood. His brother-in-law, Colonel Joel Lane, was equally ambitious to obtain the vote in favor of the present site on his land some six miles west of the Neuse. These two were among the seventeen tracts offered. On the first ballot the votes were cast as follows: Hinton's tract on the Neuse, three votes; Joel Lane's, two; the land of Nathaniel Jones of "White Plains" (near the present village of Cary), one. They adjourned to meet the following day, March 30, 1792, when Joel Lane found his land accepted, while Major Hinton's obtained but one vote. The decision was a most bitter disappointment to the latter, and from that time a coolness existed between the two families, supposed by some to have been due to the conduct of Colonel Lane on that occasion. Tradition claims that he gave a dinner to the commissioners and that they partook too freely of the choice wines to vote clearly. Had Raleigh been situated on the river its scenic beauty would have been enhanced, though probably the course pursued has given better health to its inhabitants.

The slaves formed an interesting, unique group in that colonial home. There was "Blind Jim" (totally sightless), who always saddled Major Hinton's riding horse and brought him to the front door. Then there was that couple who came from Africa and who never learned to speak English well- Old Mingo and "Mammy Kizzy," who was a princess, the daughter of a king on the dark continent. She wore bouquets of natural flowers in the holes in her ears. As a dairy-maid she excelled. She instructed the children and grandchildren in that especial branch of housekeeping. Jeffrey was another trusted slave. Major Hinton once sent him up the country horse-back. He was much astounded some time later to see him return horseless. Upon inquiry he learned that Jeffrey had swapped the horse for some reputed wonderfully fine species of peas! They were planted and found to be equal to representation and ever after went by the name of "Jeffrey's peas." The carriage driver, Buck, was a brother of "Uncle Brisco," who was Colonel John Hinton's body servant during the war, belonged to the "Gunny (a corruption of Guinea) stock," and was a remarkable negro. He drove "Peacock" and "Phoenix" to the second carriage brought to Wake. It was a high vehicle, entered by means of steps lowered from the back. The old cook was an unusual character. One day she went into the cellar for something for dinner, and could not resist the temptation of partaking of the rum. When found and reproved, she replied, "So I suits master, I don' keer." She prepared to perfection the Major's ideal spring dinner, "a boiled chicken and bag-pudding," as well as his favorite salad, a bunch of lettuce leaves and mint tied with a shalote and dripped in dressing. There was one Johnson, an uncle of President Andrew Johnson, who was employed to superintend the women spinning.

Of the many weddings which occurred at "Clay Hill" the first was that of Mary Hinton to Henry Lane. Their daughter, Margaret Lane, was also married here to the brilliant lawyer, Moses Mordecai. She was married in white satin, Empire style, and her trousseau contained enough handsome silk and satin gowns to satisfy the fastidious bride of the twentieth century. It was here that Judge Henry Seawell, nephew of Nathaniel Macon, came a-wooing and won his beautiful bride, Grizelle, second daughter of Major Hinton. These rooms in those days echoed with the exquisite music of his violin. He had a most serious rival in Theophilus Hunter, junior, of "Spring Hill," wealthy, aristocratic and of prominent position, whom her parents preferred to the poor but handsome and gifted young lawyer, who came to the county with only his license and a horse. This partiality was shown by the treatment bestowed upon their respective steeds. When Theophilus Hunter, junior, rode over to "Clay Hill" to pay court to the choice of his heart, his horse was taken promptly, stabled, fed and groomed, while Henry Seawell's was allowed to remain tied to the rack and paw the earth in his fury and craving for feed and water! At a hunting party the latter was given a bird gun and the poorest stand in the country, where deer were never known to pass. Growing weary of ill luck, he retired to the house in quest of another dear, with domestication the object this time. He was more successful with the change, and that day won his suit. They were married at "Clay Hill," April 17, 1800, by Cargill Massenburg. After the marriage Major Hinton highly approved of his son-in-law.

Major Hinton was a devoted Churchman, religiously observing all the feasts and fasts of the Established Church. There is now in existence a prayer-book containing his autograph. He was tall, large and fine-looking- a perfect gentleman, very refined, with elegant manners.
One of the favored members of the house hold was the favorite dog, "Venture," an immense animal that always accompanied his master on his rides, faithfully guarding his horse when tied.

Major John Hinton died October 19, 1818. He is buried at "Clay Hill." The grave-yard is back of the garden, surrounded by a rock wall. His grave is marked by a plain granite head and foot piece and bears a simple inscription, now nearly obliterated by time's touch. Beside his lie the remains of Pherebee Hinton, his wife, who died December 19, 1810. Their children were:

1. John Hinton of "Stoney Lonesome," who married Sally, daughter of Colonel Needham Bryan.
2. Mary, who married Henry Lane. Her remains are interred at "Clay Hill."
3. Samuel, who died soon after graduating at the University of North Carolina.
4. Grizelle, born May 26, 1782, known to a large circle of relatives as "Aunt Seawell," who married Judge Henry Seawell of "Welcome," Wake county.
5. Willis, who died young.
6. Betsey, who inherited "Clay Hill" and died unmarried in May, 1865.
Betsey Hinton, called by a host of loving relatives "Aunt Betsey," was the youngest child and a fine Christian character. As a housekeeper she had no superior. With her lived Mrs. Grizzy Ryan, youngest daughter of Colonel Joel Lane. An overseer attended to the plantation. In the sixties the old home experienced another warlike intrusion. It was in the spring of 1865, when Sherman's Army was indulging in its "vandalic march," that the families on the adjoining and distant plantations flew to the Capital for safety. No art of persuasion could prevail on the mistress of "Clay Hill" to leave, believing her presence would protect her property. Some slaves and a few white women and children alone remained with her. The enemy were scouring the country. One night she retired, to be awakened by soldiers breaking into the house at the late hour; the yard and every building were filled with Federal soldiers. An entrance was forced into her very room and this lady of eighty-odd years was driven from her bed. After ransacking the premises, they departed to apply the torch to the paper mill at Milburnie.

The great change of fortune and the weight of years were more than even that brave spirit could endure. She died a few weeks after the surrender. After her death the place passed to the nearest relatives out South, who sold it, and thus this historic home became the property of strangers, wholly unappreciative of its quaintness and history. What a sad change! To-day the fences and garden have disappeared, many trees have been cut down, cotton is cultivated n the once beautiful lawn, some of the out-buildings have been burned, others are dilapidated, and there are signs of decay and neglect about the old homestead itself.

There are no descendants of Major Hinton's sons now living in North Carolina, the name in that branch having become extinct in the State.
It is to be lamented that we Americans do not retain the English custom of entailing the family seat and revering every relic that bears on a noble past.

Major John Hinton, son of Colonel John and Grizelle Kimbrough Hinton, married Ferebee Smith, daughter of John and Elizabeth Whitfield Smith, namesake of Smithfield, NC. John Hinton built his plantation manor, Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse, prior to the Revolutionary War, one of the earliest plantation manors in Wake County. The plantation contained 5,434 acres in 1788 and 19 slaves.

Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse was located on a hill on the east bank of the Neuse in Milburnie, just south of US-64. In 1903, Mary Hilliard Hinton described Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse in detail, which then was in a state of a disrepair and had been abandoned. Today, only the graveyard remains, and it is just inside the fence of the former Oak Ridge Driving Range on US-64, surrounded by a low stone fence.

The two-story house was made of timber and iron nails, painted white with green shutters. It contained a porch the full length of the front. Inside were four bedrooms, a dining room, a butler's pantry, wine cellar, and a lower and upper hallway. It faced east, in front of the family gardens and graveyard. All rooms had high ceilings, hard plaster walls, and ornamented wood-work.

The manor house had many outbuildings, including the kitchen. The flower and herb garden was well laid out with stone walkways. None remain today.

Mary Hilliard Hinton also described some of the slaves of Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse as having been brought directly out of Africa, but once they were "enlightened" in the ways of plantation life, they were forever loyal to John Hinton. Such rationalizations are repugnant today- slavery was rooted in bondage, beatings, forced labor, deprivation and death. Some of the family slaves were "Blind Jim", a groomsman, Buck, the carriage driver, and his brother, Uncle Briscoe. Old Mingo and Mammy Kizzy were captured in Africa and eventually sold to Major John Hinton. Mammy Kizzy was said to be an African princess, but worked as a dairymaid. Jeffry was said to have introduced a sweet pea to the plantation.

John Hinton served in the Johnston and Wake County militias under his father, and alongside his brother, James, and brother-in-law, Joel Lane. During the Revolution, John and his personal slave Uncle Briscoe fought at the Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge in 1776 and served on the Patriot side through 1779.

Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse was visited by a small band of Tories out to capture John Hinton and to rob his home. John was shot, bound and beaten during the melee while defending his family. John escaped and sent for help from his brother, Colonel James Hinton, of Silent Retreat. The Tories stole John's slaves and some clothing, but all were recovered by the pursuing mounted troops under James Hinton. James summarily hung the Tories near Hillsboro.

Major John Hinton served Wake County in the House of Commons in 1779, State Councilors (1799 - 1801), as a Judge (1780 - 1818) and Sheriff (1788 - 1789).

Major John Hinton, along with brother-in-law Joel Lane, and his brother Joseph Lane, were among those who bid on their lands to be the new State Capitol in 1790. The Hinton plantations were considered for the honor, and commission members visited Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse and The Oaks, but instead chose Joel Lane's plantation, Bloomsbury, now the center of the City of Raleigh. The choice of the Lane property caused a deep rift in the family as John Hinton's lands were thought to be the first choice, at least that was the result of the first ballot, but supposedly Joel Lane plied the commission with wine and favors the night before the second and final vote.

John and Ferebee Hinton also had a large family. The eldest son, Colonel John Hinton, moved to Green County, Alabama. Colonel William Hinton built Beaver Dam. Samuel Hinton and Willis Hinton died in 1802 and 1806, respectively, of tuberculosis at Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse. Mary Hinton married Henry Lane, who built Mordecai House in Raleigh, and Grizelle Hinton married Judge Henry Seawell of the plantation Welcome in Raleigh, at separate ceremonies held at Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse. Elizabeth, "Aunt Betsy" Hinton inherited Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse and lived there with Grizzy Ryan, granddaughter of Colonel Joel Lane.

On April 13, 1865, long after Colonel John HInton's death, the plantation was still the residence of Aunt Betsy when Union Troops under General William T. Sherman marched through Raleigh. The 2nd Division of the Army of the Tennessee (Union) camped at Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse, and used Hinton Bridge to cross the Neuse River on the Tarbourough Road (now US-64) on their approach to Raleigh. The troops ransacked the house and rousted the elderly Aunt Betsy out of bed. She died four months later and was buried at Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse.

By the 1890s, the plantation was still in the family, owned by J. Mordecai. Although the plantation way of life was extinguished by the Emancipation Proclamation and the surrender of the Confederacy, family historian Mary Hilliard Hinton wrote that Clay Hill-on-the-Neuse was the site of "clandestine Klu Klux Klan meetings". She lamented that in 1903 the estate was in decay from neglect.

John married Ferebee Smith on 27 Jun 1765 in Wake, Nc. Ferebee was born on 16 Oct 1748.

They had the following children:

+ 126 M i Col. William Hinton
  127 M ii Samuel Hinton was born in Wake, Nc.
  128 M iii Willis Hinton.
  129 F iv Mary Hinton was born in Wake, Nc.
  130 M v Col. John Hinton was born on 27 Dec 1770 in Wake, Nc.
  131 F vi Elizabeth Hinton was born in Wake, Nc.

85. Col. James Hinton (John Hinton , James John Hinton , James Hinton , John Hinton , Thomas Hinton , Anthony Hinton , Thomas Hinton , John Hinton , Richard , John , John , John , Thomas , Thomas , Phillip , Henry , Geoffrey , John , John , John , Hugh , Richard , Hugh , Richard , Robert , Elias , Edward , Rauld , Eurald , Ulbert ) was born in 1750 in Wake, Nc.

James Hinton, also a Revolutionary officer in active service, who married Delilah Hunter, daughter of Colonel Theophilus Hinter, of "Hunter's Lodge," in Wake County

Notes from http://www.mindspring.com/~baumbach/hinton/history.htm

Colonel James Hinton (c1750 - 1794) of Silent Retreat James Hinton, son of Colonel John and Grizelle Kimbrough Hinton, married Delilah Hunter. They built Silent Retreat, which was on Poole Road just north and east of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Knightdale. The plantation contained over 7,000 acres and 36 slaves when listed in the US Census of 1790. James is buried in the family plot at Silent Retreat.

James served as Captain in his father's regiment in the 1773 Wake County militia alongside his brother Major John Hinton, and brother-in-law, Lt. Colonel Theophilus Hunter. He also fought at Moore's Creek Bridge in 1776 under his father. By 1780 he was Colonel of the regiment.

James Hinton also served in the General Assembly for 10 years as a Senator and a Representative. He defeated his brother-in-law, Colonel Joel Lane, in 1793 for the Senate seat. James also was the register of Wake County (177-1794) and a Justice of the Peace (1782-1794).

James Hinton, son of Colonel John and Grizelle Kimbrough Hinton, married Delilah Hunter. They built Silent Retreat, which was on Poole Road just north and east of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Knightdale. The plantation contained over 7,000 acres and 36 slaves when listed in the US Census of 1790. James is buried in the family plot at Silent Retreat.

James served as Captain in his father's regiment in the 1773 Wake County militia alongside his brother Major John Hinton, and brother-in-law, Lt. Colonel Theophilus Hunter. He also fought at Moore's Creek Bridge in 1776 under his father. By 1780 he was Colonel of the regiment.

James Hinton also served in the General Assembly for 10 years as a Senator and a Representative. He defeated his brother-in-law, Colonel Joel Lane, in 1793 for the Senate seat. James also was the register of Wake County (177-1794) and a Justice of the Peace (1782-1794).

James married Delilah Hunter on 6 Jun 1773 in Wake, Nc. Delilah was born in 1756 in Wake, Nc.

They had the following children:

  132 M i Ransom Hinton was born in 1782 in Wake, Nc.

91. David Hinton (John Hinton , James John Hinton , James Hinton , John Hinton , Thomas Hinton , Anthony Hinton , Thomas Hinton , John Hinton , Richard , John , John , John , Thomas , Thomas , Phillip , Henry , Geoffrey , John , John , John , Hugh , Richard , Hugh , Richard , Robert , Elias , Edward , Rauld , Eurald , Ulbert ) was born in 1764 in Wake, Nc.

David Hinton Sr., son of Colonel John Hinton and Grizelle Kimbrough, married Jane Lewis. David built The Oaks plantation in c1790 and it was considered for the site of the State Capitol. In 1830, The Oaks consisted of 2,244 acres worked by 13 slaves. The Oaks is located at 4516 Clifton Road in Knightdale. It is still in use today and is part of a working farm. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The front portico of The Oaks faces east, but this was the original rear of the house. The west side faces the old Hinton Road that connected The Oaks with Midway Plantation and Beaver Dam. On this side of the house is also the family burial plot.

David married Jane Lewis.

They had the following children:

+ 133 M i Charles Lewis Hinton

94. Malachi Hinton (John Hardy Hinton , James John Hinton , James Hinton , John Hinton , Thomas Hinton , Anthony Hinton , Thomas Hinton , John Hinton , Richard , John , John , John , Thomas , Thomas , Phillip , Henry , Geoffrey , John , John , John , Hugh , Richard , Hugh , Richard , Robert , Elias , Edward , Rauld , Eurald , Ulbert ) was born in 1742 in Johnston, Nc.

Re: NC MALACHI HINTON/ SALLY ELLINGTON
Posted by: Lorene Thigpen Date: July 17, 2000 at 18:46:22
In Reply to: Re: NC MALACHI HINTON/ SALLY ELLINGTON by Darlene Hood Hinton 865 of 2499
Malachi Hinton was born in Chowan Co., NC. He was over 16 years of age when his father died June 1730/32. Malachi Hinton died 1808 Johnston Co., NC. He married Sarah Wimberly 6 June 1764 Edgecombe Co., a daughter of George & Mourning (Pope) Wimberly. Malachi Hinton & Sarah (Wimberly) were parents of eight known childred: (1) George Hinton married Zilph Stallings & settled in Oglethorpe Co., Ga (2) Pheraby Hinton married George Winberly (3) Jacob Hinton died Campbell Co., Ga, married 1st Sally Stallings; 2nd Mary "Polly" Bradford (4) Elizabeth Hinton died before 1844 in Madison Co., Tn, married John Vinson (5) Sarah Hinton married Larry Bryan, son of Lewis Bryan Sr & Sarah (Hinton) (6) Hardy Hinton was at least 21 when his father died as he was Exec. of his father's will with brothers Malachi, Jr & William Hinton. Hardy married Calra Alford (7) Malachi Hinton Jr ... (8) William Hinton, b. 3 May 1779 Johnston Co., NC, d. 3 Oct 1847 Clinton, Green Co., Alabama, married Lydia (Hinton), a daughter of Isaac Hinton & Lucy Matilda (Hinton), daughter of Malachi Hinton, Jr.

He had the following children:

  134 M i Unknown Hinton was born in 1752 in Johnston, Nc.
  135 F ii Sarah Hinton was born in 1754 in Johnston, Nc.
  136 M iii Jacob Hinton was born in 1756 in Johnston, Nc.
  137 M iv George Hinton was born in 1758 in Johnston, Nc.
  138 F v Elizabeth Hinton was born in 1760 in Johnston, Nc.
  139 M vi Hardy Hinton was born in 1764 in Johnston, Nc.
+ 140 M vii Malachi Hinton
  141 M viii William Hinton was born in 1768 in Johnston, Nc.

95. Solomon Hinton (John Hardy Hinton , James John Hinton , James Hinton , John Hinton , Thomas Hinton , Anthony Hinton , Thomas Hinton , John Hinton , Richard , John , John , John , Thomas , Thomas , Phillip , Henry , Geoffrey , John , John , John , Hugh , Richard , Hugh , Richard , Robert , Elias , Edward , Rauld , Eurald , Ulbert ) was born in 1744 in Johnston, Nc.

Solomon married Sarah Unknown. Sarah was born about 1735.

They had the following children:

  142 F i Edea Hinton.
  143 M ii Willis Hinton.

99. Job Hinton (John Hardy Hinton , James John Hinton , James Hinton , John Hinton , Thomas Hinton , Anthony Hinton , Thomas Hinton , John Hinton , Richard , John , John , John , Thomas , Thomas , Phillip , Henry , Geoffrey , John , John , John , Hugh , Richard , Hugh , Richard , Robert , Elias , Edward , Rauld , Eurald , Ulbert ) was born in 1745 in Johnston, Nc. He died in 1832 in Franklin, Mo.

RW Patriot DAR Vol II
was in Wilkes and Washinton Counties 1780's and 1790's

Job married Mary Burke. Mary was born in 1768. She died in 1843 in Mo.

They had the following children:

+ 144 F i Fortune Hinton
  145 M ii John Hinton was born in 1784 in Wilkes, Ga.
  146 M iii Noah Hinton was born in 1786 in Wilkes, Ga.
+ 147 M iv Clayton Burke Hinton
  148 F v Clarissa Hinton was born on 25 Sep 1794 in Wilkes, Ga. She died in Portland, Multnomah, or.
        Clarissa married Ephraim Jameson in 1810 in Polk, Mo. Ephraim was born about 1793.
  149 F vi Nancy Hinton was born on 7 Feb 1798 in Wilkes, Ga. She died on 18 Apr 1864 in Polk, Mo.
        Nancy married Amos Richardson on 6 Sep 1813. Amos was born on 30 Oct 1790 in Fairfax, Va. He died on 10 May 1875 in Johnson, Polk, Mo.
  150 F vii Sarah Sally Hinton was born in 1800 in Wilkes, Ga.

100. Sarah Hinton (William Hinton , James John Hinton , James Hinton , John Hinton , Thomas Hinton , Anthony Hinton , Thomas Hinton , John Hinton , Richard , John , John , John , Thomas , Thomas , Phillip , Henry , Geoffrey , John , John , John , Hugh , Richard , Hugh , Richard , Robert , Elias , Edward , Rauld , Eurald , Ulbert ) was born in 1749 in Johnston, Nc.

Sarah married Lewis Bryan on 26 Oct 1769 in Johnston, Nc. Lewis was born in 1720 in Johnston, Nc.

They had the following children:

  151 M i Larry Bryan was born on 24 Nov 1745 in Johnston, Nc.

112. Hardy Hill Hinton (Malachi Hinton , James John Hinton , James Hinton , John Hinton , Thomas Hinton , Anthony Hinton , Thomas Hinton , John Hinton , Richard , John , John , John , Thomas , Thomas , Phillip , Henry , Geoffrey , John , John , John , Hugh , Richard , Hugh , Richard , Robert , Elias , Edward , Rauld , Eurald , Ulbert ) was born in 1777 in Johnston, Nc. He died on 20 Sep 1837 in Henry, Ga.

Hardy married Clara Alford on 29 Apr 1798 in Wake, Nc. Clara was born in 1778 in Johnston, Nc. She died in Henry, Ga.

They had the following children:

  152 F i Polly Hinton was born in Johnston, Nc.
  153 M ii George Hinton was born in Johnston, Nc.
  154 M iii Rufus Hinton was born in Johnston, Nc.
  155 M iv William Gaston Hinton was born in 1813 in Henry, Ga.

Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index